Paging Dr. Joan

"I’m hoping to use social media to evaluate the justifiability of ‘five axis’ DSM diagnosis and perhaps develop new avenues of treatment based on group evaluations."

"I can guarantee the closest shave you'll ever know."

[Refictionalized 7 Nov 2012]

Re: Paging Dr. Joan

Postby eyebones on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:24 pm

These guys say use the star * key. Is that the usual way? http://www.ehow.com/how_4464457_check-v ... phone.html
eyebones

Postby NeverSlender on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:25 pm

eyebones wrote:I'm down with that. If you aren't interested in solving this puzzle, just go do some other part of the ARG and stay out of the way of the people who. If you can come up with something other "OH No! Don't do THAT!" for that part

There is no puzzle. We have seen no proof of any puzzle. We have a phone number which we can't ring at the moment. And if you think insulting the people who have contributed most to this ARG is a good idea, keep doing it and see where you end up.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby ToMorning on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:25 pm

eyebones wrote:You are nuts. It is well established this is not a real person.

If you don't know how to check voicemail, just let someone who does speak up.

Let's see. I think you usually have to press something and then enter a pin.

Let's not start any fights here. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
ToMorning

Postby NeverSlender on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:26 pm

ToMorning wrote:

Yeah, but when someone's opinion is to say we should do something ILLEGAL, it's safe to say they're wrong.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Sicon112 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:28 pm

How the hell would we get the PIN anyway? The phone number was in the notebook to call if it got lost. (Implied) Why the hell would the therapist give out her PIN? Regardless, even if it was there, we have already used up any chance we had to call the restaurant and ask them, so there isn't a way to find it.

On top of that, it's illegal anyhow, so we aren't doing it.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Chief Wakamakamu on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:31 pm

NeverSlender wrote:
ToMorning wrote:

Yeah, but when someone's opinion is to say we should do something ILLEGAL, it's safe to say they're wrong.

It's not Illegal if the person isn't real >.> that means the messages would be MEANT to be listened too.
Chief Wakamakamu
Meta-Knight

Postby Adell on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Alright everyone, calm down. Let's keep a level head while we discuss plans of actions.

That said, I think at this current point, Illegal or not (technically it's not illegal as far as I know, actually), we should not consider breaking into this woman's answering machine. At the very least, let's wait until monday and try and get ahold of her and see what happens. We need to think of this like "alternate reality" ...which is based off reality. I don't think she'd appreciate us busting her answering machine open for clues.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby eyebones on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:37 pm

The star key works. You need a four letter password. I tried "gurt" and "wall", but those didn't work. Any ideas?
eyebones

Postby NeverSlender on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:38 pm

It's not Illegal if the person isn't real >.> that means the messages would be MEANT to be listened too.

It's an answering machine, meaning it's a REAL phone, which is owned by a REAL person, meaning IT. IS. ILLEGAL. How many tines do you need it spelled out for you?
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:38 pm

Chief Wakamakamu wrote:It's not Illegal if the person isn't real >.> that means the messages would be MEANT to be listened too.

As long as a number exists. It is hooked up to a operator. Therefore, linked to someone's REAL social security number. Let's say that it's Mr. A's SS and you get caught. Like, by being found out by saying HERE that you're doing that and posting the transcripts.

You'll go sleep with cops for the night, and then, Mr. A's actor, you know, the legal owner of the number will have to show his face, prove that he did allow you to do it (which he can't legally do without showing his real face here BEFORE you tap into the line) and go into a courtroom over this.

Yes, you might not get caught, but if you are. The ARG is over. And honestly? Do that and most of us will be aganist you.

I honestly can't explain this any better... If you fail to get it, I give up trying to teach you why it's illegal, regardless of the doctor being real or not.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby NeverSlender on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:39 pm

eyebones wrote:The star key works. You need a four letter password. I tried "gurt" and "wall", but those didn't work. Any ideas?

Good god, you're actually trying to break into someones answering machine. Your either a troll or a complete idiot.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Adell on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:40 pm

eyebones wrote:The star key works. You need a four letter password. I tried "gurt" and "wall", but those didn't work. Any ideas?

...<.< Her cats maybe? *Ducks before he gets yelled at*
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby eyebones on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:41 pm

Just tried "cats". Not it.
eyebones

Postby Chief Wakamakamu on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:42 pm

NeverSlender wrote:

It's an answering machine, meaning it's a REAL phone, which is owned by a REAL person, meaning IT. IS. ILLEGAL. How many tines do you need it spelled out for you?

You can register phone numbers and have them go to fake answering machines. I've had that happen in other ARG's I've participated in. We had to get in the answering machine, and no one got arrested.

I'm feeling bad about how heated things are getting here. I'm just saying it's worth trying. It seems like a lot is pointing towards that and I doubt the puppetmasters would send us on a path to get arrested.
Chief Wakamakamu
Meta-Knight

Postby NeverSlender on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:42 pm

Adell wrote:

What, you're actualky gonna help him, despite stating yourself we shouldn't do it because it's illegal?
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Adell wrote:

Not yelling... Just disappointed. You're supposed to be the sane man here, aren't you?
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby NeverSlender on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Chief Wakamakamu wrote:
NeverSlender wrote:

You can register phone numbers and have them go to fake answering machines. I've had that happen in other ARG's I've participated in. We had to get in the answering machine, and no one got arrested.

I'm feeling bad about how heated things are getting here. I'm just saying it's worth trying. It seems like a lot is pointing towards that and I doubt the puppetmasters would send us on a path to get arrested.

They haven't put us on a path, they've given us a phone number. There's been no indication that we should access this woman's voicemail.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Adell on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Pixelmage wrote:
Adell wrote:

Not yelling... Just disappointed. You're supposed to be the sane man here, aren't you?

Well I mean, If he's gonna do it one way or the other...<.< Not like i can stop him from using his phone. I'm not THAT good of a moderator.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:48 pm

I've called and listened to her voice mail message. (Not, you know, the messages in her voice mail, but the one for people to hear if they try to call her.) I think trying to crack into her voice mail is a bad idea. Here's my analysis:

She gives her office hours, which are 8 AM to 8 PM on weekdays, 10 AM to 10 PM on weekends. Technically she should have been available to speak at the moment I called, as it's within weekend office hours. However, if she's receiving threatening phone calls, that explains why she might be reluctant to answer the phone. It also explains why her voice mail would be full, because people are calling and leaving messages and she's not listening to them because she doesn't want to hear more threats.

We can definitely try calling her on Monday, but I'm concerned it won't work.

As to what we can say if we do call, I think there are two options.

1) We basically tell her the truth, "I got this number from the restaurant where you left your notebook. I'm just a concerned reader of your blog, but I thought I'd inform you that whoever's been threatening you may have got the number from the same place." Something along those lines, which has already been posted.

2) We lie. I think somebody could get away with saying "Hey I was just wondering about setting up an appointment with you" and not get into any trouble.

Probably only one person should actually speak to her, because if she gets a bunch of calls from us it may indeed freak her out. However, for the meantime if you want to hear her message feel free to call. I really don't think anybody will pick up. (Sadly, the message isn't all that interesting.)
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Chief Wakamakamu on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:48 pm

NeverSlender wrote:
Chief Wakamakamu wrote:

They haven't put us on a path, they've given us a phone number. There's been no indication that we should access this woman's voicemail.

Except for repeated posts about creepy voice mails...
Chief Wakamakamu
Meta-Knight

Postby NeverSlender on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Chief Wakamakamu wrote:
NeverSlender wrote:
Chief Wakamakamu wrote:

That's only to tell us she might be getting phonecalls from the people who are sending Joe letters.

What are you expecting to find if this works? Someone saying "I'm the bad guy in this ARG, and these are my details"?
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby IslaKariese on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:53 pm

Good God, it's gone mad in here. What the hell? Regardless if it's a game or not, this idea is AGAINST the LAW, meaning if ye who manages to break into this voicemail account gets caught by the police, the excuse "But it was part of this online thing I was a part of" is not going to fucking cut it. *leaves before she gets hooked into this Godforsaken mess*
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Chief Wakamakamu on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:54 pm

NeverSlender wrote:
Chief Wakamakamu wrote:
NeverSlender wrote:They haven't put us on a path, they've given us a phone number. There's been no indication that we should access this woman's voicemail.

That's only to tell us she might be getting phonecalls from the people who are sending Joe letters.

What are you expecting to find if this works? Someone saying "I'm the bad guy in this ARG, and these are my details"?

...yessss...? A voice mail is inherently more informative than a letter.
Chief Wakamakamu
Meta-Knight

Postby NeverSlender on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:55 pm

IslaKariese wrote:Good God, it's gone mad in here. What the hell? Regardless if it's a game or not, this idea is AGAINST the LAW, meaning if ye who manages to break into this voicemail account gets caught by the police, the excuse "But it was part of this online thing I was a part of" is not going to fucking cut it. *leaves before she gets hooked into this Godforsaken mess*

This.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby eyebones on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:55 pm

It only lets you try three before it hangs up. It is not the last 4 of the phone number or the common diagonals (1593, 3571).
eyebones

PreviousNext

Return to [REFIC'D] Joan Lawson, Therapist (and Sweeney Todd)