Frontier psychiatrist

"I’m hoping to use social media to evaluate the justifiability of ‘five axis’ DSM diagnosis and perhaps develop new avenues of treatment based on group evaluations."

"I can guarantee the closest shave you'll ever know."

[Refictionalized 7 Nov 2012]

Re: Frontier psychiatrist

Postby Guyshane on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:27 pm

"People will never live the lives they are meant to unless they wake up to the world as it really is" this is a quote from the patient and I'm almost sure I've heard it before but I can remember where
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby IslaKariese on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Google's not turning anything up...
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Guyshane on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:34 pm

IslaKariese wrote:Google's not turning anything up...

I know that was my first stop once I read it and that really bugs me because this sounds ultra-familiar
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Yeah, I googled books contaning the phrase and there's nothing. Again , it would fit well with him being from 1984, as many people don't see the world as it really is.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Dryunya on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:40 pm

To be honest, "waking people up" is not exactly what I'd expect from a 1984's character. Waking the proles was merely mused upon as the only working plan, but there was nothing close to the implementation. Not to mention that it was less "the rich opressing the poor", and more "those with power oppressing those without". There is a difference.
I'm probably just speaking nonsense. I don't have actual facts to back me up. :oops:
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Lordxana0 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:44 pm

We did learn a few things in that last post
1. He says any means necessary
2. He cares about animals.
3. All of his friends died
4. Doesn't like his parents
That narrows down the choices for a character.
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby Dryunya on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:46 pm

Lordxana0 wrote:4. Doesn't like his parents

More like "doesn't care about his parents much".
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Dryunya wrote:To be honest, "waking people up" is not exactly what I'd expect from a 1984's character. Waking the proles was merely mused upon as the only working plan, but there was nothing close to the implementation. Not to mention that it was less "the rich opressing the poor", and more "those with power oppressing those without". There is a difference.
I'm probably just speaking nonsense. I don't have actual facts to back me up. :oops:

It's a while since I read it so my memory is a bit fuzzy, I could be wrong. I think it's the right genre to look at though. Anyone read Atlas Shrugged?
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby JackAlsworth on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Lordxana0 wrote:We did learn a few things in that last post

It didn't really say that; it said that he was "indifferent" to his parents, which carries a different set of connotations. Like dryu said, it seems to be more a case of "his relationship with his parents was forgettable, and not really important to him".

EDIT: @Neverslender: I haven't read it, but from what I know of Objectivism, a lead character in an Ayn Rand book wouldn't care about the rich oppressing the poor.
JackAlsworth

Postby Lordxana0 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Perhaps I misspoke on one of my suggestions about the character. my bad. :oops:
Who you going to call? ME!
Lordxana0

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:50 pm

JackAlsworth wrote:
Lordxana0 wrote:We did learn a few things in that last post

It didn't really say that; it said that he was "indifferent" to his parents, which carries a different set of connotations. Like dryu said, it seems to be more a case of "his relationship with his parents was forgettable, and not really important to him".

Or they died while he was a child.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:11 pm

Someone called MikeCharlie commented on the latest blog:

"I don’t think he’s an anti hero. Call me crazy, but I think he reminds me of a certain protagonist from a certain post-apicalyptic science fiction book that I am certain was not written by Dr. Huxley.
In fact, some people following this blog may have even been born on this “date.”"

Anyone get it?
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Victin wrote:
NeverSlender wrote:Hey, I've just read the new post and the patient sounds like someone out of 1984.

My exact thougths.

Just read that. Doesn't seem like Winston at all to me.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:19 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
Victin wrote:
NeverSlender wrote:Hey, I've just read the new post and the patient sounds like someone out of 1984.

My exact thougths.

Just read that. Doesn't seem like Winston at all to me.

I wasn't thinking Winston just "someone." Anyway I think the comment from MikeCharlie is our best clue.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:24 pm

NeverSlender wrote:I wasn't thinking Winston just "someone." Anyway I think the comment from MikeCharlie is our best clue.

I still disagree. Like I said, it's only been a month or so since the last time I read that book. I just ran through every named or semi-important character in it, and the actions do not match any of them.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dryunya on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:30 pm

NeverSlender wrote:Anyway I think the comment from MikeCharlie is our best clue.

There is no MikeCharlie among us, and on Twitter (some unrelated guy). Someone could have dropped a clue. :gurt:
Alas, my illiteracy is showing again. I haven't read anything by Huxley. :(
Dryunya

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:34 pm

Dryunya wrote:
NeverSlender wrote:Anyway I think the comment from MikeCharlie is our best clue.

There is no MikeCharlie among us, and on Twitter (some unrelated guy). Someone could have dropped a clue. :gurt:
Alas, my illiteracy is showing again. I haven't read anything by Huxley. :(

Just gonna go meta for a minute. I saw Joe on the site just before it was posted. He might have seen us going in the wrong direction and decided to drop us a hint.
Last edited by NeverSlender on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Dryunya on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:41 pm

Ahem. Joe doesn't need to be online here to drop a hint there.
Dryunya

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:43 pm

Dryunya wrote:Ahem. Joe doesn't need to be online here to drop a hint there.

No, but he'd have to be here to read our thoughts on the matter.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:47 pm

I haven't read anything by Huxley either, but we cannot discount the idea that that was just another player.

I can say that it isn't from 1984, however. The politics of it make no sense for any of the characters. The patient seems to be, as I have mentioned before, an adherent to left wing policies. The society under Big Brother in 1984 was created by a radical far-left revolution in the distant past, and none of the characters are ever confirmed to have been a part of that. (Big Brother is claimed to have been, but the book isn't even clear on whether he exists)

Anyway, Winston is unlikely to support ideals similar to the ones that created the Crapsack World in which he lives, and the undercover Thought Police agent Charrington is merely psychotically devoted to Big Brother. (as most of the Thought Police agents are supposed to be) O'Brien, on the other hand, is obsessed with power, and the politics that brought him there are merely a convenient tool for manipulating people so that the totalitarian status quo continues.

The other members of the outer party are pretty much morons/insane so this guy still doesn't match any of them.
Last edited by Sicon112 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:50 pm

Sicon112 wrote:I haven't read anything by Huxley either, but we cannot discount the idea that that was just another player.

I can say that it isn't from 1984, however. The politics of it make no sense for any of the characters. The patient seems to be, as I have mentioned before, an adherent to left wing policies. The society under Big Brother in 1984 was created by a radical far-left revolution in the distant past, and none of the characters are ever confirmed to have been a part of that. (Big Brother is claimed to have been, but the book isn't even clear on whether he exists)

Anyway, Winston is unlikely to support ideals similar to the ones that created the Crapsack World in which he lives, and the undercover Thought Police agent is merely psychotically devoted to Big Brother. O'Brien, on the other hand, is obsessed with power, and the politics that brought him there are merely a convenient tool for manipulating people so that the totalitarian status quo continues.

The other members of the outer party are pretty much morons/insane so this guy still doesn't match any of them.

It was the first thing that came into my head when I read it. Our attentions, I think, should be focusdd on finding out what this book MikeCharlie refers to is.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Victin on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:31 pm

Just sharing a thought, could it be a brainwashed Zack?
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby IslaKariese on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Mr. A says Zack has nothing to do with what's going on. I trust the instantiation as far as I can throw him (and being unable to even touch him, that's not far at all), but I think he's honest on that count.
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Guys, we've been left a clue, we need to use it.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Previous

Return to [REFIC'D] Joan Lawson, Therapist (and Sweeney Todd)