New WTF post

"I am not the law, but I represent justice so far as my feeble powers go."

[Refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Re: New WTF post

Postby Goldude on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:50 am

Pixelmage wrote:No, because that'd make "J.qvsxk", "X.o", "K.yo" and "Q.kte" igonre the . if E is alone. Therefore "E." is the word...

I'm about to make a very silly question, so i'll put a disclaimer saying that english is not my natural language, so forgive me for that. Does there exist a end sentence to fit this 4-3-2 pattern on this spacing? (I can think of someone ending a sentence with "like so", and "as if" seems somewhat reasonable, but neither fit).

The period generally indicates the end o a sentence, but since it's in the middle of a couple of words, I got rid of all punctuation whatsoever. That makes the words "Jqvsxk", "Xo", "Kyo", "Qkte", and "E".
1st official attempted Spanner In The Works and light in the darkness.
Goldude

Postby AceOfSpades on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:54 am

From what I gather from your previous comments and translations is that, whomever or whatever wrote those letters is also being threatened and is crying for help. Judging by the threatening letters he received earlier, I come to one conclusion. Much of the threats he is getting are from, those afraid he might have stumbled upon a world where someone, much like him is trying to find out the truth about worlds outside their own. Someone who too is being threatened in the same manner as Joe or worse. I also believe whomever sent that picture to him, might be the same one that sent that particular letter. I believe that because those two are the only non-threatening messages he has been sent so by process of elimination, 90 percent of his mail pile is threats, the other 10 are cries for help.
An Ace is the difference between a good hand and a bust.
AceOfSpades

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:57 am

I believe that because those two are the only non-threatening messages he has been sent so by process of elimination, 90 percent of his mail pile is threats, the other 10 are cries for help.

So essentially, Joe has a lot more reading to do, then?

If only we could talk to the people sending the letters directly and find out what they want...

Urgh, I am terrible at these kind of code things, I'm sort of useless here...
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby AceOfSpades on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:18 am

Actually Scarab that is right on the money. If Joe could some how find a way to respond to the non threats maybe it would help him understand what is going on.
AceOfSpades

Postby Dryunya on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:50 am

Someone PM'd me asking whether Joe could find the Cat's address on that Hogwarts letter, while we're at it.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Telcontar on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:18 am

I've checked all Caeser shifts on the text, and each gives gibberish. There may be two layers, it may be a different kind of monoalphabetic substitution (expecting us to crack something harder with so little sample text is nigh-impossible) or the majority of it could be nonsense to throw us off. The end sentence is the only thing which makes sense.
Telcontar

Postby Dryunya on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:29 am

I believe there are 2 possible ways now:
1. Not minding the spaces and trying to solve it without them, because if we are wrong about them, the code is unsolvable.
2. Trying either transposition or polyalphabetic substitution ciphers. The last sentence may be a key.
3 (yeah). Trying to make sense of Poirot's hint.
I'm going to have to leave it for several more hours. Sorry, I'm not of much use here.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Quantumawesome on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:48 am

What if each letter is substituted with the letter opposite in the alphabet? A = Z, B = Y, C = X, etc... Did anyone try that?
Quantumawesome

Postby NeverSlender on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:00 am

I think the spaces are right because the last sentence makes sense.

I've tried shifting letters forward, shifting them backwards and alternating backwards and forwards. No luck
I think the best clue is the single letter words and what Poirot said about the flags could mean some letters are different.

:gurt:
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby AceOfSpades on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:03 am

Maybe the rest is radio/telegraph static. Essentially like say you are sending a message in morse code, but could only get a few clear words out rather than the whole message.
AceOfSpades

Postby Silversweeper on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:16 am

I am not certain that there only is one cipher in use, given that we would get "ii" or "aa" on the seventh row if we replaced Z with I or A, which would make sense as they are the only one-letter words in the English language. Also, locking the letters in the last sentence would give us a word starting with "ujuur" on the fourth row, which is nonsense as far as I can tell.

Has anyone tried looking for a message in the columns or right-to-left?
Silversweeper

Postby AceOfSpades on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:37 am

Silversweeper wrote:I am not certain that there only is one cipher in use, given that we would get "ii" or "aa" on the seventh row if we replaced Z with I or A, which would make sense as they are the only one-letter words in the English language. Also, locking the letters in the last sentence would give us a word starting with "ujuur" on the fourth row, which is nonsense as far as I can tell.

If you are going by columns the first would be going by how IslaKariese sorted it out. T A S R I C A S.
AceOfSpades

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:50 am

Silversweeper wrote:I am not certain that there only is one cipher in use, given that we would get "ii" or "aa" on the seventh row if we replaced Z with I or A, which would make sense as they are the only one-letter words in the English language. Also, locking the letters in the last sentence would give us a word starting with "ujuur" on the fourth row, which is nonsense as far as I can tell.

Darn it, someone ninja'd me! I came up with the idea for columns and right to left reading on the way back from physics five mins ago. Not sure if it will pan out, but I'm gonna take a look. Nice job catching that.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby FeetontheCeiling on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:56 am

Alright, so I managed to ask a friend who's more familiar with the story the code is from, and he says that the men with flags don't just represent capital letters - they represent the end of words, too. Sorry if this was already mentioned, but I just wanted to confirm it as well :3
FeetontheCeiling

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:04 am

If a vertical or right to left reading is going to be attempted, the lines must be re-aligned. This:

Z twmQ aeokuqR kteJ xakfaI
rkI rarD kW dagdejmH
sgP Z raX pyQ jvqZ kA srdJ
paQ. kteJ ujuurzpqrX
irK liarV tedeacR zrzcvdklE.
lcqwjQ oymU rxaiF:
hfzzfzprxaJ. qvsxkX. oK.
yoU arE ouR onlY hopE joE.

Does not line up exactly to the original lines of the letter. Gimme a sec and I will reformat it.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 am

Never mind, looks like someone posted it like this before.

IslaKariese wrote:ZtwmQaeokuqRkteJxakf
aIrkIrarDkWdagdejm
HsgPZraXpyQjvqZkAs
rdJpaQ.kteJujuurzpqr
XirKliarVtedeacRzrz
cvdklE.lcqwjQoymUrx
aiF:hfzzfzprxaJ.qv
sxkX.oK.yoUarEouRo
nlYhopEjoE.

How about trying some of the previous cyphers from right to left and down columns now?
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby AceOfSpades on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:12 am

Sicon112 wrote:If a vertical or right to left reading is going to be attempted, the lines must be re-aligned. This:

rkI rarD kW dagdejmH
paQ. kteJ ujuurzpqrX
lcqwjQ oymU rxaiF:
hfzzfzprxaJ. qvsxkX. oK.

Does not line up exactly to the original lines of the letter. Gimme a sec and I will reformat it.

Hang on I am looking at the line before the last line. I could be wrong or to obvious but it looks like "oK" is the only one in clear english. Now what phrases often end in the word "ok"? "We hope you're..." "Are you...." "Is it...." etc.
AceOfSpades

Postby NeverSlender on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:15 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:If a vertical or right to left reading is going to be attempted, the lines must be re-aligned. This:

rkI rarD kW dagdejmH
paQ. kteJ ujuurzpqrX
lcqwjQ oymU rxaiF:
hfzzfzprxaJ. qvsxkX. oK.

Hang on I am looking at the line before the last line. I could be wrong or to obvious but it looks like "oK" is the only one in clear english. Now what phrases often end in the word "ok"? "We hope you're..." "Are you...." "Is it...." etc.

I don't think so. Only two words, both quite long. Instructions maybe?
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby AceOfSpades on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:16 am

That's another option, I mostly assumed it was a phrase. One major rule of foreign languages is if you are translating it into english, the foreign word is often longer than it's english counterpart.
AceOfSpades

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:23 am

Actually Scarab that is right on the money. If Joe could some how find a way to respond to the non threats maybe it would help him understand what is going on.

So... I'm helping? Yay! :)

Then maybe we could use a topic dealing with how we might DO that, if we don't have one already? Sounds like there are letter-senders who just want help and they're being drowned out by the threatening ones, might be able to tell us more than any of the Characters we know so far have.

You guys have some epic decoding skills going on here...
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Adell on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:57 am

FeetontheCeiling wrote:Alright, so I managed to ask a friend who's more familiar with the story the code is from, and he says that the men with flags don't just represent capital letters - they represent the end of words, too. Sorry if this was already mentioned, but I just wanted to confirm it as well :3

Alright, well that's good to know.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Victin on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:22 pm

OK, since I caught up now, and I think that I may have lost something, what are the possibilities we have right now for it?
EDIT: Okay, first of all I apologize for not being able to help today because I have stuff to do, so I will post one of the ideas I have right now: could it be a Vigenère Cipher? If it were one, could the keyword be flag, flags or even the uppercased letters?
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby The Finch on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:49 pm

I honestly don't know. Maybe the Letter is secretly a Red Herring from the Breaker('s) of the Wall?
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby Adell on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:59 pm

Victin wrote:OK, since I caught up now, and I think that I may have lost something, what are the possibilities we have right now for it?
EDIT: Okay, first of all I apologize for not being able to help today because I have stuff to do, so I will post one of the ideas I have right now: could it be a Vigenère Cipher? If it were one, could the keyword be flag, flags or even the uppercased letters?

Vigenere Cipher could work, but I think we need some sort of key to decipher it then. The text alone is not enough.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby NeverSlender on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Maybe the last line is a key?
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

PreviousNext

Return to [REFIC'D] Sherlock Holmes