Tara Coulson's case

"I am not the law, but I represent justice so far as my feeble powers go."

[Refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Re: Tara Coulson's case

Postby YankeeWhite on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:22 am

I'm thinking sniper. Professional or amateur I don't know. But that helps explain the locked door and possibly the shallow gunshot wound.
YankeeWhite

Postby The Finch on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:25 am

YankeeWhite wrote:I'm thinking sniper. Professional or amateur I don't know. But that helps explain the locked door and possibly the shallow gunshot wound.

Bloody Snipers! Always shootin' our men down! Always Jarating our Spys and shooting our Heavys! Always Sniping the Sentries of the Engineers! God!
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:43 am

YankeeWhite wrote:I'm thinking sniper. Professional or amateur I don't know. But that helps explain the locked door and possibly the shallow gunshot wound.

But then why is there no open window/bullet hole? Due to conservation of detail, Holmes would have said something. Someone should ask him about the possibility on his blog.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Victin on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:27 am

As I noted, it wasn't the Cabal. Who do you think it could have been?
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:37 am

Victin wrote:As I noted, it wasn't the Cabal. Who do you think it could have been?

Right now, Deanna Hackins is the most obviously suspicious figure. But we'll know more once we hear the results of Holmes' and Quixote's meeting.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Guyshane on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:55 pm

Sicon112 wrote:

But then why is there no open window/bullet hole? Due to conservation of detail, Holmes would have said something. Someone should ask him about the possibility on his blog.

I asked yesterday but when I check today my comment is gone. And now I must swear
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby Scarab on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:59 pm

Guyshane wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:

I asked yesterday but when I check today my comment is gone. And now I must swear

I don't suppose a sniper may have had an accomplice who opened Tara's window without her knowledge, or came in to find it open and closed it so to as remove suspicion? Too silly?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Guyshane on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:14 pm

Scarab wrote:
I don't suppose a sniper may have had an accomplice who opened Tara's window without her knowledge, or came in to find it open and closed it so to as remove suspicion? Too silly?

If a sniper had a clear shot to Tara the wound wouldn't have been shallow
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:22 pm

Quixote has posted Tara's video.

Thoughts from the chat:
  1. There don't seem to be any obvious clues in the video.
  2. The calendar is probably important. 20, 23 and "MAY" are highlighted.
  3. Something moves under it at 0:20. I was told it's just duct tape.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:24 pm

Gone of the dates that was circled on Tara's blog leads to this entry:
Jeff Hope, what a promising name!
Posted on June 13, 2012 by Tara
My date tonight is with Jeff Hope. HOPE! At last, a good sign.
I won’t make the mistake of excessively using LOVER as a pet-name like I did for Mann. You know that Mann wasn’t even his real name? Did I mention that yet? Can’t think straight, so excited! <3

Maybe HE was who she was calling? if he was the culprit surely she'd write his name?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:26 pm

I don't follow. "13" is not highlighted, not to mention that the calendar says "MAY". :|
Also, as I said before, she would probably refer to him as "Mann" if she were to write him, as people might be unaware of his nickname.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:29 pm

The fact that the calendar says "may", handwritten at the bottom, doesn't mean it's a May calendar. It could be something else-- a note to herself, or a name, or a cypher key.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:34 pm

You've also probably noticed it, but there is a Single Tear at 1:05. I'd say she's pretty nervous, even though she doesn't sound like it.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:36 pm

Dryunya wrote:I don't follow. "13" is not highlighted, not to mention that the calendar says "MAY". :|
Also, as I said before, she would probably refer to him as "Mann" if she were to write him, as people might be unaware of his nickname.

Fair enough, I must've gotten confused, but I think the use of Lover may still apply.
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Coming from another thread:
WackyMeetsPractical wrote:I feel like it is the May Calendar. The dates do match up, with the first landing on a Tuesday and the 31st landing on a Thursday. As for why the word May is on the bottom as opposed to on the top, it's because there is no top. The very top of the page is the week header. So it wouldn't be odd for the Month name to be placed on the bottom instead. As to why it was handwritten, I don't think it is. I believe it was written over in marker so that it is plainly visible. Tara wanted Quixote to see the month, to somehow figure out it was significant.

I'm not sure about that. Is this calendar of the type that start the week with Sunday? I'm not used to these, but if it's not, then it's open on August - it starts with Thursday, and ends on 31th on Friday.
UPD: In that case, 20th Aug is when she insulted Jeff (right after that, all hell broke loose). There is no post on 23rd.
Dryunya

Postby Tohrinha on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Dryunya wrote:Is this calendar of the type that start the week with Sunday?

It does start on Sunday (the longest title, namely Wednesday, is the fourth column in).
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby S_o_S on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:27 pm

It looks like Sunday to me, but I'm not 100% sure.
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:27 pm

Reposted from Quixote thread:

I don't know how the calendar is significant, but it is. She could've picked any spot of her house to film that video, but she chose to film it there. She had the camera framed specifically to make sure the camera was in the shot. Otherwise, she would be more centered. She opened the calendar specifically to that month. Unless she's just an incredibly lazy person, there is no other reason for her calendar to be opened in May while the video was clearly shot just a few days ago.

I feel like it is the May Calendar. The dates do match up, with the first landing on a Tuesday and the 31st landing on a Thursday. As for why the word May is on the bottom as opposed to on the top, it's because there is no top. The very top of the page is the week header. So it wouldn't be odd for the Month name to be placed on the bottom instead. As to why it was handwritten, I don't think it is. I believe it was written over in marker so that it is plainly visible. Tara wanted Quixote to see the month, to somehow figure out it was significant.

Everything to me seems to point to Tara intentionally leaving clues. But I can't figure out why she would leave hints, as opposed to just telling Quixote what she knows. Maybe I'm just grasping at straws. It does seem unlikely that Tara would know anything and that she would want to reveal it in cryptic clues, but I can't think of any other reason why she would allow the calendar to be placed in the shot. That's not a normal way to frame a shot!

Dryunya wrote:I'm not sure about that. Is this calendar of the type that start the week with Sunday? I'm not used to these, but if it's not, then it's open on August - it starts with Thursday, and ends on 31th on Friday.

Speaking as an American, most, if not all, of our calendars start with Sunday as the first day of the week. I've been to Seattle as well, so I'm pretty sure they do the same thing as we do here in Texas. It would be abnormal for us to have a calendar start on a different day.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby JackAlsworth on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:52 pm

I live near Seattle, my dad's worked in Seattle before, and I've never encountered a modern calendar that doesn't start with Sunday.
JackAlsworth

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:53 pm

Quixote and Holmes are on the scene.

https://twitter.com/TheTrueQuixote/stat ... 3916973058

And here's what they found:

https://twitter.com/TheTrueQuixote/stat ... 7830684673

Goodness, she was chaining up her door. She was so frightened. Poor girl.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Quixote has deleted the tweet about the chained door, and claimed he was mistaken.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Tohrinha on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:56 pm

Quixote has confirmed that the window is closed.
https://twitter.com/TheTrueQuixote/stat ... 6580105216
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:02 pm

And there was no calendar. Gah.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:33 pm

Holmes posted.
And we have a number: (971) 230-5905.

Edit: It's an Oregon number. Who lives in Oregon that can call it?

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:10 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Holmes posted.
And we have a number: (971) 230-5905.

Maybe Jack can try it? Since it's local for him?

Edit: Jack, can you look this number up in the Seattle Yellow pages? (I was very disappointed that there's no US equivalent of Canada 411-- the only way to reverse-lookup the phone number is through paying services.)
Or better yet, call it, since it's local for you.

Let's not hesitate with calling this number like we did last time. But it's late here for me, plus it's inconvenient for me to get to a phone at the moment. If no one calls it when I get up tomorrow morning, I'll do it myself. But hopefully somebody will take care of it before then. If we're lucky, it's just another recording.
WackyMeetsPractical

PreviousNext

Return to [REFIC'D] Sherlock Holmes