Tara Coulson's case

"I am not the law, but I represent justice so far as my feeble powers go."

[Refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Re: Tara Coulson's case

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:40 am

Ignore my previous post.
I just called the number. Here's the message I heard:

971-230-5905 wrote:Hi. You've reached Kenny Mann at Baskerville Commons Apartments. Sorry I missed your call, but if you leave a message, I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

It says the mailbox is full, which gives me... an idea...

Edit: Because I can't carry out this idea myself...
Who hacked Lawson's voicemail last time, and, more importantly, how?
Because I have a feeling this is what we're meant to do, this time with the key code LOVER-- 56837.
I tried pressing that, during the voicemail message, to no result-- am I doing it wrong, or is it because I'm calling with gmail instead of a real phone, or is it because I'm wrong about this?
Last edited by Qara-Xuan Zenith on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby narrativedilettante on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:43 am

I called the number. The line was busy. I'll try again in a little while.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:45 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Ignore my previous post.
I just called the number. Here's the message I heard:

971-230-5905 wrote:Hi. You've reached Kenny Mann at Baskerville Commons Apartments. Sorry I missed your call, but if you leave a message, I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

It says the mailbox is full, which gives me... an idea...

Good work. The logical thing to do now is to e-mail Holmes with that info. He'll follow the lead from there.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby narrativedilettante on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:52 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Who hacked Lawson's voicemail last time, and, more importantly, how?

I can't remember who hacked it off the top of my head (two people got it at roughly the same time, I remember that much) but they figured it out because the password was the name of one of her cats. This one will probably be another clue we have to work out. (Or Holmes might be able to work it out if we can't.)
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:58 am

All right, feel free to call the number and enter the suspected PIN. Make sure to hit the * key just as the voice mail starts. I could call it, but I'm about as far away from Qara, and it seems you need to be on an actual phone to do it, instead of the free gmail call she was making. So, if someone is either nearby or doesn't care about/won't get in trouble for long distance call fees, be my guest.

EDIT: And in case anyone wanted to know, the two who got it first were Adell and the dude who came up with the idea in the first place.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:51 am

The Finch wrote:
YankeeWhite wrote:I'm thinking sniper. Professional or amateur I don't know. But that helps explain the locked door and possibly the shallow gunshot wound.

Bloody Snipers! Always shootin' our men down! Always Jarating our Spys and shooting our Heavys! Always Sniping the Sentries of the Engineers! God!

ALWAYS CAMPING TOO! ( Hadoukens the BLU Sniper)

FINALLY, REVENGE!
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby RotavatoR on Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:05 am

Both Adell and eyebones were able to hack into Joan Lawson's phone. Not sure if it's important, but there ya go.

Also, the calendar seems to be gone. Not sure if you knew that already.
RotavatoR

Postby narrativedilettante on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:38 am

Every time I call I get a busy signal. Don't know why, but I haven't been able to get through once.

So I'll give you all my ideas, since I can't try them out myself. I think it's worth trying TARA (8272) and MANN (6266) because these passwords are usually 4 characters. If it turns out to be more than 4 characters, my next guess is HOUND (46863) because the Baskerville name may be a hint. I'm not confident about any of these, but I think they're worth trying and I just can't seem to get through myself.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby H22 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:40 am

Us Britons seem to be very experienced when it comes to this sort of thing. If you know anyone working/used to work at News Imternational, leave them a voicemail today!
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:41 am

narrativedilettante wrote:Every time I call I get a busy signal. Don't know why, but I haven't been able to get through once.

So I'll give you all my ideas, since I can't try them out myself. I think it's worth trying TARA (8272) and MANN (6266) because these passwords are usually 4 characters. If it turns out to be more than 4 characters, my next guess is HOUND (46863) because the Baskerville name may be a hint. I'm not confident about any of these, but I think they're worth trying and I just can't seem to get through myself.

Dil-- See above; I think the pass might be LOVER. TARA's worth trying, too, though; good point.
I think we're going to need someone who can call it on an actual phone in order to test anything with breaking into the voicemail, though; it didn't do anything when I tried on gmail. So anyone who's either local to Portland or has unlimited long distance in the US-- please try for us.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby narrativedilettante on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:45 am

I actually have unlimited long distance, but my phone just won't connect. It's extremely frustrating. :evil:
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby H22 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:47 am

I think the name Baskerville MUST be significant. It's thus very likely it is the voicemail password or something else significant. (Unless the GMs are just trying to have a laugh)
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:50 am

H22 wrote:I think the name Baskerville MUST be significant. It's thus very likely it is the voicemail password or something else significant. (Unless the GMs are just trying to have a laugh)

It wouldn't be the first time a "real world" address was a reference to one of the character's stories.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:57 am

I've called it. Got the voicemail. Followed the directions sicon left behind. Used LOVER, TARA, MANN, and HOUND as passwords. Nothing worked. Others are free to try. I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Krika on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:01 am

Yah, I tried with LOVER, but I'm unsure if I'm doing things right. I'm hitting * when the voicemail starts, but nothing happens (and hitting # just skips the initial message, and takes me straight to the "voicemail is full" message.

So I'm unsure of what to do here.
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Location: Usually my dorm, with my laptop. Oh, you meant city? Rochester, in the freezing state of New York.

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:03 am

When I was trying to hack it last night, Sicon said to press * as SOON as the message comes on, then enter the passwords.
You guys want to try it again, like that?

Otherwise, we can wait until Adell resurfaces and ask him what we're doing wrong, since he was the one who cracked Lawson's voicemail.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:09 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:When I was trying to hack it last night, Sicon said to press * as SOON as the message comes on, then enter the passwords.
You guys want to try it again, like that?

Otherwise, we can wait until Adell resurfaces and ask him what we're doing wrong, since he was the one who cracked Lawson's voicemail.

I've been doing that. Nothing's been happening. I'm going back to my original theory that this voicemail is not meant to be hacked. As long as Holmes knows where he lives, he should be able to talk to Mann and get the info we need.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby narrativedilettante on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:37 am

On Joan Lawson's phone, pressing * made it play a recording instructing you to enter the password. If the same thing doesn't happen here, then there's probably not a remote way to access the voice mail. Sending Holmes to the address would be the logical next step.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:46 am

narrativedilettante wrote:On Joan Lawson's phone, pressing * made it play a recording instructing you to enter the password. If the same thing doesn't happen here, then there's probably not a remote way to access the voice mail. Sending Holmes to the address would be the logical next step.

I've pressed the * key as soon as the voicemail started, and I got no message like that. I was expecting one, but didn't get it. The message just continued as normal. So yeah, let's just call this one a dead end. The number did get us Mann's home address. So we should just leave this to Holmes and back off.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:32 am

Well, I emailed Holmes (and left a copy of the message as a comment on the blog, because I didn't think it would go through), so if we can't hack this one, we'll just have to sit back and wait for his response.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:16 pm

New Post

Looks like we're meant to figure out where the Baskerville Commons Apartments are, as well as the apartment number.

But how are we supposed to know that?
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:24 pm

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:New Post

Looks like we're meant to figure out where the Baskerville Commons Apartments are, as well as the apartment number.

Googled the name, but all I get is this satire of a website: https://sites.google.com/site/baskervillecommons/
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:26 pm

So, to confirm, when you press the star key as the outgoing message begins, nothing happens? It just keeps going? Because it should prompt you to enter a PIN.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:31 pm

Sicon112 wrote:So, to confirm, when you press the star key as the outgoing message begins, nothing happens? It just keeps going? Because it should prompt you to enter a PIN.

That's right. the message continued as it did if you pressed nothing. It doesn't ask for a pin or a password or anything.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:33 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
WackyMeetsPractical wrote:New Post

Googled the name, but all I get is this satire of a website: https://sites.google.com/site/baskervillecommons/

Wait a minute. On that site, clicking on contact, they show you the name of the landlady, Agatha Doyle, as in Arthur Conan Doyle, the author of Sherlock Holmes. This is our place for sure. Now we just contact Ms. Doyle and found out where it is, and if Mann is living there. Let's see if we can get his apartment number from her.
WackyMeetsPractical

PreviousNext

Return to [REFIC'D] Sherlock Holmes