Everyone is a Girl on the Internet Day

This is for the discussion of topics not covered by the other categories, as well as the Leads Discussion.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Everyone is a Girl on the Internet Day

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:46 am

We did a lot of silly things on this forum, including declaring various days to be something-or-other day, but this was the only one that the GMs were involved with. It started because of a stray comment by Mr. Administrator, which was then deleted, and then a followup to that comment, and Ed played along. So my questions are:

1. Why was that stray comment made in the first place? For reference, it was:

Mr. Administrator wrote:It's official. Today is "Everyone is a girl day"

2. After the comment was deleted yet caught, why did you decide to play along?

3. Did you wind up regretting this bit of silliness and distraction?
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Re: Everyone is a Girl on the Internet Day

Postby Rick Healey on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:52 am

narrativedilettante wrote:We did a lot of silly things on this forum, including declaring various days to be something-or-other day, but this was the only one that the GMs were involved with. It started because of a stray comment by Mr. Administrator, which was then deleted, and then a followup to that comment, and Ed played along. So my questions are:

1. Why was that stray comment made in the first place? For reference, it was:

Mr. Administrator wrote:It's official. Today is "Everyone is a girl day"

2. After the comment was deleted yet caught, why did you decide to play along?

3. Did you wind up regretting this bit of silliness and distraction?

I believe Dana and Connor are the ones to answer most of this; I decided to leave that to them. But I was a bit jealous; because I was much more behind-the-scenes, and because it didn't make sense to have me participate (my sock didn't have a defined gender, and there was no way for EFP to be aware of it without revealing myself as a GM).

I personally enjoyed it and regret only that I wasn't able to properly participate (though I did do some Madame Administrator passes in the GM chat; I don't think any got used, though). It helped make Mr. A more relatable (and thus kept the game flowing), it defused tensions between him and players a bit, and it was funny.

Yes, sometimes silliness can be a distraction, but it can also be a calming influence that helps things progress.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Tom on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:18 pm

This was the only time someone accidentally posted by the wrong account. It was supposed to be Connor's sockpuppet. Instead, we accidentally created canon.

No regrets. It was fun, and inclusive in a very bizarre way. At the time, some female players were receiving attention for their femaleness, which could have become awkward had it continued. Instead, this event came across as a show of solidarity.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Dryunya on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:52 am

Tom wrote:Instead, we accidentally created canon.

I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Tom on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:46 am

That is really great, and also looks like the most bizarre Canon billboard ever.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:56 am

Tom wrote:That is really great, and also looks like the most bizarre Canon billboard ever.

Dryu is good at that. Have you seen some of his other work? Go to that thread if you haven't. lulz are guaranteed.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby IslaKariese on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Just for reference, that was the best day of my life. It was so completely awesome, my smile didn't dim for several hours. :D
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby The Finch on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:25 pm

It was weird.
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Return to General