Introductions

This is for the discussion of topics not covered by the other categories, as well as the Leads Discussion.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Introductions

Postby Dana on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi guys, I'm Dana Luery Shaw and I was the Creative Director on TWWF.

Basically what I did is I got people together who knew how to do stuff that this ARG needed better than I did. I also had my hands in just about everything involved in this game, from the earliest planning stages to the late game improv implementation (though not the technical stuff, as I am very much not good at that - again, people who know how to do stuff better than me were absolutely necessary). I also played Morgan. Everything else I did is listed in the credits, so I won't go over them here.

I'm a first-year grad student right now at USC, studying screenwriting. Many of you already follow me on Twitter and some of you have already seen my website, so you'll be kept abreast of any new projects in the works if you're interested :)
Dana
Puppetmaster

Re: Introductions

Postby Connor Fallon on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:11 pm

Hey-yo everyone,

My name is Connor Fallon, and I was the Design Lead on The Wall Will Fall -- though as far as the leads go, all our roles kind of bled together. I was one of the people who got their greasy fingers over every aspect of this ARG, from overall scenario design and general mythology, to the tiniest of details.

Some small examples of things I did: Designed the Echo --> Trope --> Story refictionalization progression, the wall piece puzzles, and a number of the initial outlines for the various characters. I also wrote about half of the Echo comics, as well as a large number of the Morgan emails, Wicked Witch material, Joe videos, and the Mr. A posts/tweets.

But that's only about half the stuff I was involved in... basically, I was responsible for all the best things, even those I was not responsible for. Like Nick Farrell's AMAZING voice acting.

My typos are responsible for Lime Man and Everyone is a Girl Day. I have never been so proud of my mistakes.

I was also Chief Wakamakamu on these forums. Initially I intended to follow the Prime Directive, but you guys were just too great to not hang out with/poke/troll. I'm surprised no one called me out! I was super blatant at times. :gurt:

In case any of you are interested, you can follow me on twitter at @ConnorEFallon. I mostly tweet about projects I am working on and games I am playing. Oh yeah, and I guess some of my previous projects can be found on my website.
Last edited by Connor Fallon on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Postby Rick Healey on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:40 pm

Hello, everyone.

My name is Rick Healey, and my primary duty on this ARG was editor - although, as Connor stated above, the roles blended into each other, and I ended up being involved in so much more than anyone first anticipated.

To give a quick rundown, I did some spot writing here and there (mostly to connect pieces that others wrote for various characters), did the voice acting for both Hercule Poirot and Erik, kept tabs on the community, took pictures of cats, was responsible for the creation of the Fourth Wall bricks, did some puzzle construction and testing, some minor legal research, and basically nitpicking at as much about this ARG as possible.

For a bit about myself in general, for the curious...

I'm 33 years old, and I live in Somerville, MA. I graduated college back in 2001, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in French Language and Literature. My most common alias is 32_Footsteps, and that's what I use when I go on TV Tropes, although I do use Nitrogenous Base as a backup identity when I want to go "stealth." For various reasons, though, I'm @TwoToTheFifth on Twitter. I'm married, and my wife and I are expecting our first child roughly around April 2, 2013. My wife and I own two cats, which you all are familiar with. One is a male shorthair with a tuxedo pattern named Locke (after Locke Cole), and the other is a male shorthair with a spotted mackerel tabby named Truman (named after Truman Burbank). Locke has six toes on each front paw, while Truman has seven on each front paw (although one of Truman's extra toes on each front paw is stunted).

My main interests are games of all varieties (with video games being a particular obsession of mine; Final Fantasy IV is my all-time favorite), anime and manga, and cooking. Yes, "Experiments in Food Preparation" is my cooking blog, and as I stated on that blog, everything on there is true - I really have made a bacon cake, the Mr. Administrator cake, and all of the other stuff I described. I also like to think that I'm so much more than just cakes. I know folks will have plenty of questions about that blog as time goes on; they will be answered in due time.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Eric Kays on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Hey everyone! I’m Eric Kays, “interactive lead,” though as Connor says above I worked on just about every element of this game.

I was responsible for overseeing basic puzzle design and creating ways to get our characters to interact with you all as well as general character creation, game lore and development of story. It was I who sent the packages with the comics and CD (You wouldn’t believe the trouble I went through to get those to you all. Dryunya, I’m looking at you!). I was heavily involved in developing the story for Peter Pan, Sweeney Todd, Wicked Witch, Joe, and Cheshire Cat. I was the producer for the Peter Pan videos as well. I was also responsible for the Dinosaur Wicked Witch found that one time.

Other side stuff I did was some audio editing, slight acting, tweaking, editing and implementing on most any level.

Its been great to see this game develop after over a year of development. It was especially awesome seeing it expand far beyond our initial designs due to your input and work. My twitter account is @Erickays314, if you’re interested in following me. I tweet humor, troll a bit, and sometimes update on film projects.
Eric Kays
Puppetmaster

Postby Tom on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:21 pm

Hey there! I was the Story Lead on this project.

I was nominally responsible for coordinating the writers, but in practice, every Lead shouldered that burden. The Leads' job duties varied from week to week based on what needed to be done and who had the time to do it. All four leads did a lot of everything.

My corner of the ARG was keeping track of its sprawling lore. I was the canon police; the counterpart to your Dryu, with his metaverse models.

I helped out in other areas if work needed to be done: acting, work on some tiny video projects, sound editing, etc. Generally, the good sound editing is Sophie and the bad stuff is me. :D

My favorite contributions to the ARG were the Mr. Administrator AMA and the concept of the wall cracking.

Apart from the writing, I am proud of my performance as Sweeney Todd, and delighted that no one recognized me. (Having Sweeney Todd be canonically Tom from Echo Chamber would have given Dryu and me the worst kind of headache.)

My twitter handle is @StoryTom and my website is thewhitevoid. I will almost definitely have new projects in the pipeline soon--probably a game and probably Echo Chamber's third and final season. So if you had any fun this time, maybe come back for next time too? Pretty please? *puppy eyes*

(There's also a game on my site which I'd love some feedback on, if anyone's up for it. ;) )
Last edited by Tom on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Alexander Moser on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi!

I was Joe, but you already know this if you watched the last video. I did a bunch of other stuff, too.

I directed and shot most of the videos that were made in Pittsburgh, including (of course) the Joe videos, as well as Mr. Administrator videos and a lot of the other smaller videos, including some of the Joe clips (Cerberus and the puppets video, which is an interesting story in itself) and the final Nick Farrell video.

I was also responsible for most of the post-processing and visual effects that appeared in the videos, including everything from minor details like sky replacement and compositing video onto Joe's screen in the last video, to the visual design, 3D modeling, materials, and animation of things like Cthulhu, Cerberus, and Nick Farrell's wife's grave stone.

I did a bunch of other stuff, too, including original music (the Watch The Footage theme song and the Mr. Administrator background music, which drew considerable inspiration from Justin Hill's music in Echo Chamber), and playing the Wicked Witch of the West.
Actor (Joe, Wicked Witch), Video Director, Visual Effects/CG/Post-processing
Alexander Moser
Puppetmaster

Postby Val Reznitskaya on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi all,

I'm Val (that's Valeria, not Valerie =P), and I was primarily a writer on this project - specifically, the Romeo and Gulliver blogs were my doing. But I say "primarily" because the "blending roles" thing didn't only apply to the leads. I ended up doing a lot of other miscelaneous things too. For example, I worked on the Peter Pan and Frankenstein's Monster comics, designed the LeRoux Productions website, and shopped most of those fake articles we posted. I also occasionally wrote for a bunch of other characters.

I had one sock puppet on this site, which I tried very very hard to make minimal use of - the ToMorning account was me. =)

A bit about me - I'm a game developer and digital artist. I studied computer science in college and am doing all sorts of relevant things like writing for ARGs. =P My website is lockandkeychain.net and my Twitter is @valreznitskaya. I just rediscovered the latter, so I have no idea what I'll be tweeting about. Probably games.

I'm 23, love tea and arts and crafts, and have two dogs and a kitten. He's not polydactyl.
Val Reznitskaya
Puppetmaster

Postby Elizabeth Kays on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:49 pm

Hi! I'm Elizabeth, and I wrote for Sweeney's therapist and assisted in a couple random projects. I'm Eric's older sister, and my favorite moment was definitely Sweeney's massacred pumpkin!

I loved the interaction with everyone in the blog comments. Thanks for making this such a great experience. My twitter handle is @LizKays if you want to follow me. I mostly tweet recipes, super short movie reviews, and Fringe on Fridays ;)

I currently work for a small non-profit organization that teaches communication as a writer and coach. I have a degree in Chemistry from Oxford University, but I love stories way more than chemicals and I really enjoyed helping bring this one to life. Hooray for new media and all that! :)
Last edited by Elizabeth Kays on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth Kays
Puppetmaster

Postby Connor Raikes on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:21 pm

Hello everyone!

My name is Connor Raikes, but since there are two Connors working as on this project I will allow you to call me what you wish, seeing as I am a gentleman; e.g. "The Other Connor", "Connor 2.0", "Connor Beta edition", "Raikes", "The Rake", "Raikespeare", and "The Guy who Wrote All those Fucking Walls of Text".

I was put in charge of planning and writing for the characters Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot, the two famed detectives of fiction. I was given these characters to write for I'm sure because they complimented my natural talents of explaining things to death. Specifically, a most disagreeable death; violent asphyxiation after the victim was crushed by the trampling of a herd of stampeding cattle - and you can tell the animals were cattle, from the delicate shape of the hoof. It looks like an accident, yes; that's exactly what the murderer would want you to think! Yes I said it; this was no accident. Plain and simple, this was MURDER!!!

Shit, I'm doing it again!

I suppose I should keep it brief for your sake. Despite having an interest in writing (and lots of it) I have never written for an ARG before. I was asked to apply for this project by the Connor who is not me (with whom I went to High School with). I've had a lot of fun and enjoyment out of this project, with a little bit of stress, but I'm all very grateful for it. I've really enjoyed working with the other puppetmasters for crossovers; Ben and Elizabeth, for example, I had great dialogue with. Once the posts were up, I had fabulous good time interacting with you the players, who brought a devotion and colorful personality I would not have imagined. I put a lot of labor behind the curtain trying to outwit and outsmart you all, to ultimate failure of course. You really all made this experience what it was.

I've been on this project for about 9 months now, and frankly I have no idea what to do from here. I'm a senior at Stanford University, majoring in Political Science (minor Econ), so the pressure's on for me in all respects. For now I'm trying to wait it out with the break back home in Seattle. All I've got to really say is that I'm very glad to have worked with Tom and Dana and the rest; I had a lot of freedom to go a little nuts, they had enough faith in me to do various media of writing, everyone put up with my eccentricity (which is a feat, I have been told), and I got to meet people with eccentricity to match (if you could believe). Maybe I'll work on another ARG; we'll just have to wait and see.

Kindest Regards,
Connor Raikes

P.S. If you do not just tolerate my walls of text and actually consume them like the fucking Rock Biter, I DO have a blog, which for reasons which to some of you may be clear was locked down for the duration of the ARG. It made something of a... cameo, but I won't go into much more detail (me? go into much more detail?). Here's the URL; don't expect to get in right away;

http://raikespeare.wordpress.com/
Last edited by Connor Raikes on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I consider myself a Renaissance Man; I wear a ruff, my teeth are rotted out and I burn Lutherans for fun.
Connor Raikes
Puppetmaster

Postby Ben Plante on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:49 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm Ben Plante, the certifiably insane fellow that they chose to write Don Quixote's story arc. I also voiced Rupert Bingley in the seventh Holmes recording, and voiced Brad Foreman in the DQ versus Deanna final showdown. That showdown was also edited by me. ... My sincerest apologies for its quality, every technical problem that could've gone wrong... did. I'm also the owner of Littlebit "Bosstough" Plante, AKA Queenclaw.

A little about me, I'm 27, I love psychological horror, absurdist comedy, Rock Opera, anime and manga, and mindscrewy stuff.

If you wanna chat with me outside of this game, my twitter is @blinus42, and my facebook address is http://www.facebook.com/ben.plante.5

I'd be more than happy to continue to associate with you lot, as I feel like we became good friends. Not just through DQ and Brad, but also as "Simon". Yes, I was Simon in the chat. What a twist.

Lastly, I'll just add that working on this project was one of the best experiences of my life, and thank you to all who I worked with, and to all who played. You are the best. :) <3
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/ben.plante.5 Twitter @blinus42
"Of course it's all happening inside your head. But why on Earth should that mean it's not real?"~Albus Dumbledore
"FINE! I'm naive! ...But I'm not wrong."~Tenma Kenzou
Ben Plante
Puppetmaster

Postby Bill Cohen on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi there,

I'm Bill Cohen, the sole member of the ARG team living in the Southern Hemisphere. That's right, the Sydney connection rears its head!

I came to the ARG around February of 2012 after seeing a small ad on the TV Tropes website about an upcoming ARG. I emailed someone (who turned out to be Dana) to register my interest as a player and ended up as part of the team. I wrote the storyline for Peter Pan, helped create some of the puzzles (including the now-infamous locator puzzle) and played Agent X via letters and social media during the hunt for the Wall Pieces.

When not trying to come up ways to write a video script where the video has two different plots depending on whether there's sound or not (SO glad everyone liked that) I work in education sector - I'm a high school Social Studies teacher but have also worked in the not-for-profit space teaching students how to run community engagement programs, designed teaching resources for theatre companies that link plays to History and Geography syllabus material, and am a regular writer for the ABC's Technology and Games website.

Looking forward to chatting with you about the game - it was a blast to watch it unfold!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Bill Cohen
Puppetmaster

Postby Mark Slabinski on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:50 am

Hello there!

My name is Mark Slabinski, and I was the writer for Adam Frankenstein and Long John Silver. I also wrote a few miscellaneous ARG media bits like the Dracula suicide letter and the LaFey tabloid article.

A bit about me -- I'm a 21 year old senior in college studying writing. I hope to be a novelist one day, though that day is still a ways off. I have a twitter, and I even post to it sometimes @markslabinski
Mark Slabinski
Puppetmaster

Postby Sophira on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:33 am

Sorry for the late introduction, everyone!

I'm Sophie Hamilton, and I did a whole bunch of stuff. Tom and I had to have a big discussion on what I should be credited as, actually, because neither of us were entirely sure. :D

On consideration, I was probably the technical director of the project - which is to say, if there was a technical component involved in the game, I was probably at least somewhat involved, if not actually doing it in the first place. The biggest exception to this was the echo-finding mechanism, with Layar; while that was being designed, I didn't have a compatible smartphone. By the time I did, the whole process was already figured out. :D

I was the one who set up the phone system. When you guys were calling phone numbers, you were actually connected to a computer under our control running a program called Asterisk, which ran through the logic of each and every phone interaction. (Yes, the same computer ran all the different phone numbers - all five of them. It's really rather awesome.)

I also designed the locator puzzle together with Fast Eddie, and I was the one who coded it. I'll answer more details on that in the appropriate thread when I can.

I also developed a way for us to keep logs from the player chat. Remember that HTML file that Mr A released of Morgan's appearance in the player chat? That was an excerpt from our logs, with a little extra styling to highlight her lines. :)

Anyway, I'll attempt to answer as many questions as I can!
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Return to General