The Roleplaying and The Coffee Room.

This is for the discussion of topics not covered by the other categories, as well as the Leads Discussion.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

The Roleplaying and The Coffee Room.

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:24 pm

Self explanatory, I believe. ;)
Did you guys read them? What did you think?

As a side note, the Witch commented on our Roleplaying, which wasn't really clear about what you guys wanted to say. And Waka attempted to derail it and make the focus go back to the ARG... Once. :P

So, what comments do you guys have about these threads?
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Re: The Roleplaying and The Coffee Room.

Postby Dana on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:27 pm

We read threads that interested us if we felt like it. Generally we stayed out of there.

Rick, however, kept an eye on the RPs to make sure things didn't get inappropriate.
Dana
Puppetmaster

Postby Sicon112 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:29 pm

On that note, one of our players vanished mid RP from the black knight RP and, in fact, from the whole site. Do you guys know something about that?
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dana on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:29 pm

What player was that? o_O
Dana
Puppetmaster

Postby Victin on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:30 pm

Ignore me, I'm dumb.

:v

*derpderpderp*
Last edited by Victin on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Sicon112 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:31 pm

KFSebnti25. He showed up for a while, joined the Black Knight RPG, then after a post or two, vanished into thin air, his account and posts going along with him.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:31 pm

KFSebnti25 was his username.
Everything about him vanished completely from the server.
Pixelmage

Postby Tom on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:36 pm

I have no idea what happened there. If it got nuked by a mod, it wasn't something I got told about.

I think generally our writers watched their own subforums, and I tried to keep abreast of everything in the game. That involved reading the forum, reading the blogs, reading the GM Skype chat (which overnight would accrue anywhere between 500 and 1000 messages), the player chat, and then still finding the time to actually create stuff for the game... I definitely didn't have time to float around in off-topic. I'm idly curious what's in there, but I think it'll probably wait until I take some time off from all this. Someday I'm sure I'll be nostalgic enough to trawl for stuff I missed.

I call myself the story lead, and yet there is content I have not had the time to read or listened to. That's how big this game is. How absurd is that?
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Sicon112 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:38 pm

Tom wrote:I have no idea what happened there. If it got nuked by a mod, it wasn't something I got told about.

I think generally our writers watched their own subforums, and I tried to keep abreast of everything in the game. That involved reading the forum, reading the blogs, reading the GM Skype chat (which overnight would accrue anywhere between 500 and 1000 messages), the player chat, and then still finding the time to actually create stuff for the game... I definitely didn't have time to float around in off-topic. I'm idly curious what's in there, but I think it'll probably wait until I take some time off from all this. Someday I'm sure I'll be nostalgic enough to trawl for stuff I missed.

I call myself the story lead, and yet there is content I have not had the time to read or listened to. That's how big this game is. How absurd is that?

Oh gosh, I pity you. I read through everything involved, minus the skype chat, obviously. If I had had to deal with that too.... *shudder* Let's just say it was already a bit of a nightmare at times and invaded my dreams more than once. That would have pushed me over my limits.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Val Reznitskaya on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:44 pm

I didn't have time to read through all of that stuff yet - you guys write a lot! But I am happy that, out of all the things you could have done on the side, you went for something creative. Since creative content was the focus of the game, I'm glad you guys were exercising those muscles without any prompting from us. =)

...There were maybe a few occasions when you were so into it that you completely missed a big development in the ARG though. We were kind of confused.
Val Reznitskaya
Puppetmaster

Postby Sicon112 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Val Reznitskaya wrote:I didn't have time to read through all of that stuff yet - you guys write a lot! But I am happy that, out of all the things you could have done on the side, you went for something creative. Since creative content was the focus of the game, I'm glad you guys were exercising those muscles without any prompting from us. =)

...There were maybe a few occasions when you were so into it that you completely missed a big development in the ARG though. We were kind of confused.

OK, so Minecraft I KNOW made me unaware of what was going on a few times, but that was part of the reason I created the voice chat and let everyone in. I figured they could warn me to get off, like they did when this AMA started. What about other times?
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Tom on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:51 pm

Minecraft is awesome. Don't apologize.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Sicon112 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:56 pm

Tom wrote:Minecraft is awesome. Don't apologize.

Want on to the server? ^_^
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:57 pm

Pixelmage wrote:Self explanatory, I believe. ;)
Did you guys read them? What did you think?

I think my life would have been much easier if I hadn't read them. As Tom noted, there was a ton of stuff to keep track of just with our own materials. That said, there were some worries brought up that off-topic (and the role-plays specifically) would get way out of hand. I didn't want you to feel like we were being militant about staying on-topic (although as Val says, we did wonder why you would focus so much on that when we had big stuff happen), so I agreed to watch everything (particularly the two items that this thread is about).

It was, quite simply, a ton of material to push through. There were a couple of times when a couple of users started toeing close to the line of acceptability, but the community itself ended up being sufficiently self-policing, such that I didn't have to step in under the guise of Ed or Joe. I was pretty glad for that, because regular policing would have probably broken me.

As for KFSebnti25, I wondered that myself. Near as I could tell, they deleted themselves; it was not a police action on our part.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Sicon112 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Rick Healey wrote:It was, quite simply, a ton of material to push through. There were a couple of times when a couple of users started toeing close to the line of acceptability, but the community itself ended up being sufficiently self-policing, such that I didn't have to step in under the guise of Ed or Joe. I was pretty glad for that, because regular policing would have probably broken me.

I hope I didn't do anything wrong...
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:05 pm

Rick Healey wrote:As for KFSebnti25, I wondered that myself. Near as I could tell, they deleted themselves; it was not a police action on our part.

It's been my suspicion that the account owner just deleted it. It's a mystery with no satisfactory answer, from what i can tell.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Guyshane on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Well clearly it was a wizard
because logic
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:17 pm

Sicon112 wrote:I hope I didn't do anything wrong...

Let's just get this one at the root, shall we?

My style is to not publicly embarrass anyone. Like I have said elsewhere, I really wanted as many people to have fun as possible. I want to celebrate you guys, who joined in a massive undertaking like this - particularly as many of you are new to ARGs.

So rather than have folks ask me if they went over the line, I'll note that my move would have been to contact folks privately to get them to get back in line. Check your private messages - if you don't see such a message, I didn't think you went over the line. And I ask that folks keep that info to themselves, because it'd be poor form to start talking about how they didn't get warned to someone else who did.

Let's all keep this a big, happy tram, alright?
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Tom on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:17 pm

Actually, fun fact. I've already said I'm interested in joining the server. I just said it as Greyscale, and said it would probably have to wait until after the game. That probably makes more sense, now.

I definitely promised Pixel that I'd show him my design for mob harvesters. I'm also curious what new mechanisms the physics allow.

I'll go into more detail in the player chat sometime, k? :)
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Oh gosh, I pity you. I read through everything involved, minus the skype chat, obviously. If I had had to deal with that too.... *shudder* Let's just say it was already a bit of a nightmare at times and invaded my dreams more than once. That would have pushed me over my limits.

What Si said, dream-invasion included. Though at least I *didn't* keep up with the RPs.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:06 pm

Oh, by the way...

Sicon112 wrote:Oh gosh, I pity you. I read through everything involved, minus the skype chat, obviously. If I had had to deal with that too.... *shudder* Let's just say it was already a bit of a nightmare at times and invaded my dreams more than once. That would have pushed me over my limits.

Trust me, I know this feeling. Why do you think I made a cake with blue curacao?
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Connor Fallon on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Hey, can I ask something?

People have repeatedly said I tried to "stop the RPG..." but I don't remember that XD

Can someone link me to the post =P I think its amusing that something I probably said in passing is somehow so memorable.
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Postby Tohrinha on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:18 pm

I believe they're referring to this:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=269&p=13923#p13916.
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Not much "trying to stop", more of a "nudging us to change the focus to the ARG events".

Here, and then here again.

And a note that the third one didn't get off the ground because we saw the volume of things we'd need to do in the ARG. We also halted the first 2 for quite a while now, thanks to the endgame needing more of our attention.
Pixelmage

Postby Connor Fallon on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:22 pm

Pixelmage wrote:Not much "trying to stop", more of a nudging us to change the focus to the rest of things.

Here, and then here again.

And a note that the third one didn't get off the ground because we saw the volume of things we'd need to do in the ARG. We also halted the first 2 for quite a while now, thanks to the endgame needing more of our attention.

OH YEAAAAAHHH. Okay, so yeah, I certainly wasn't trying to stop the first one, that post I think came when we were at our most worried about whether or not the Echoes would ever be found. ...that's a topic we should cover in the "making of the ARG" thread, come to think of it.

Will confess that I was a bit freaked out by the fact that a second was starting, considering how much work went into ONE. =P
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Next

Return to General