Character Page

This is for the discussion of topics not covered by the other categories, as well as the Leads Discussion.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Re: Character Page

Postby Dryunya on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:47 am

RotavatoR wrote:
Dryunya wrote:Thread hop (ok, I actually read the thread, but, as always, can't recall anything :? ):
Move the player list to the trivia page, under a separate folder. Move the player tropes to the troper pages. Move the plot-important player tropes to the main page (no one probably has more than two of these). Bam, problem solved. :gurt:

So basically this is a way to remove the Players from the Character page alltogether?

Well, yes it is. From what I've seen, the players are not exactly treated as characters (with the exception of Sicon and Adell, who are just good enought to stay there). But I wouldn't think of it as deletion - with all the materials we have, the trivia page should be huge.
If you're afraid to stay without a mention, you can write "don't forget to check out the trivia page" on the title page. But, given the huge amount of pages we already have, I don't think that's necessary.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:49 am

RotavatoR wrote:
Dryunya wrote:Thread hop (ok, I actually read the thread, but, as always, can't recall anything :? ):
Move the player list to the trivia page, under a separate folder. Move the player tropes to the troper pages. Move the plot-important player tropes to the main page (no one probably has more than two of these). Bam, problem solved. :gurt:

So basically this is a way to remove the Players from the Character page alltogether?

I suppose we do have to ask the question here: do we really COUNT as characters? As much as my ego would like to say 'sure', I'm not convinced we do. I mean yes, we were basically being characters that were ourselves, and bit like self inserts I suppose, for the sake of immersion. Sometimes we were acting a bit, but I think all of us were basically being ourselves... It just got very very confusing from a meta standpoint (that's the only reason the Christmas Carol is even being written right now, and even THAT has some pretty tough limits on what we can and can't do).

Having the players in Trivia might help that issue... mightn't it? I really don't know, soembody who knows better than me pass judgement here please. >.<
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Pixelmage on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:03 am

I really like this for one reason alone: It has a set method, meaning it's not about judgement calls. Or "I don't see this trope applying!"

And for all the player tropes I removed, since the mark up is preserved, it'll be trivial to add them into the relevant troper pages.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Dryunya on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:41 pm

So, I can get on it, if you greenlight me...
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby BlackWolfe on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:10 pm

I don't think you know what you're getting into. Have you seen my troper page?
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
BlackWolfe

Postby H22 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:33 pm

What if people don't have troper pages?
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:38 pm

Everyone on the character page has a page of their own. I checked.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby H22 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:Everyone on the character page has a page of their own. I checked.

Er, I don't?
H22

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:44 pm

H22 wrote:
Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:Everyone on the character page has a page of their own. I checked.

Er, I don't?

Check the Character page. ;)
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby H22 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:
H22 wrote:

Er, I don't?

Check the Character page. ;)

Thank you. :D. I do now, clearly.
H22

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:18 pm

I don't like that idea very much, Dryu. I think for now we can leave them as a folder on the character page. Once we get things worked out we will talk more about it.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:48 pm

I'm all for it. :gurt: Nice thinking, Dryu.
Also, nothing is set into stone. I mean, if anything is removed (or added), its a simple thing to put it back (or remove it)

Geez, guys. This is a tropes page. Can't we agree on something?
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Pixelmage on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:52 pm

Already said I like it being methodical like that. So...

Dryunya wrote:So, I can get on it, if you greenlight me...

I'm for it.
Pixelmage

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:08 pm

Still firmly against. This is an ARG. The players are important too, to the point of being minor characters. I see no reason to totally remove that section when it can just be cleaned up a little just because no one wants to actually add tropes to the main characters.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Still firmly against. This is an ARG. The players are important too, to the point of being minor characters. I see no reason to totally remove that section when it can just be cleaned up a little just because no one wants to actually add tropes to the main characters.

I'm looking for a middle ground.
Yes this is an ARG, but we have reached a point where the minor character's pages and tropes are kept in better order than the major characters. I'm for the best idea, which, at this current moment, is Dryu's idea. If you can think of a better, more viable option, share it so we can make a more informed decision.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Pixelmage on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Sicon, no one is holding back on adding tropes for the characters. The two tasks are not mutually exclusive, I'm afraid you're treating them as if they are. If you have tropes to add to the fictionals, go ahead and add them.

I personally think that removing the players altogether is a wise choice because it avoids conflicts of people wanting more and more details to themselves.

You and Adell played major roles. Acting on canon material and interacting with fictionals on video and audio, that makes both of you characters to stay there. For everyone else, their contributions get noted on the timeline like the entry that notes me for having found the 3 blogs, or all the entries about Dilly's accepted refics. With everything else worked into the main page for the really ARG relevant stuff.

Dryu's proposed method makes it impartial to anyone's ego, allows a comprehensive list of all the players in the Trivia page and all major contributions get properly recognized. Otherwise we'll be trimming down trope after trope from players and honestly? That's bait for arguments over what should be kept and people will take that personally soon enough and that would be bad, which I can't believe you don't see coming with the arbitrary list that we have at the moment.
Pixelmage

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:35 pm

I'll copy my tropes onto my page.
Last edited by Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Haven't we already closed down additions of tropes the players sections? And I realize that they are not mutually exclusive. What I am trying to say is that this section is not worth all the attention we are giving it with all of these debates. This should be set aside as an afterthought while everyone talks about the important parts. I really don't think Dryu's plan is fair to the REST of the players, who lose the recognition for their actions.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Essentially, if we remove coffee room/ymmv tropes who is hurt by retaining this page? I do not understand why people so badly want to get rid of it. If it can be repaired, why destroy it?
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Pixelmage on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:02 pm

I did stop the revision I was doing alone after clearing all YMMV and Coffee Room.
I also cleared some duplicates and passed judgement on my own entry, removing Alice Allusion and Nickname because I don't see these as being ARG-Relevant.

If we are to agree to keeping characters there, we need a method to it. I would say forum, twitter or megathread links, or timeline mentions for it. The chatroom, while canon, is not displayed and something we can cite and link there as evidence.

Of course, the forum links should come from the on-topic sections. Save for, say, Lordxana, who did his Speeching Harder in the off topic, but those cases are extremely particular.
Pixelmage

Postby Rick Healey on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:36 pm

Actually, speaking purely as a troper and not as a puppet master...

I would actually recommend that folks take a brief break from the controversial sections. Only add the non-controversial stuff for 24 hours.

To a lesser extent than the puppet masters, you're encountering the same problem that we have - you're so involved with the work that it's hard to act like a troper about it.

To some extent, this won't ever go away. But keep in mind that we're in no rush - everyone can take time to calm down about the issue.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:39 pm

Rick Healey wrote:Actually, speaking purely as a troper and not as a puppet master...

I would actually recommend that folks take a brief break from the controversial sections. Only add the non-controversial stuff for 24 hours.

To a lesser extent than the puppet masters, you're encountering the same problem that we have - you're so involved with the work that it's hard to act like a troper about it.

To some extent, this won't ever go away. But keep in mind that we're in no rush - everyone can take time to calm down about the issue.

Good call Rick. I agree.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby BlackWolfe on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:11 am

Rick Healey wrote:Actually, speaking purely as a troper and not as a puppet master...

That's why I stopped posting in this thread, actually. Of course, that means I wasn't suggesting this, so good on ya.
/)_<
And not so good on me.
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
BlackWolfe

Previous

Return to General