Dreams

This is for the discussion of topics not covered by the other categories, as well as the Leads Discussion.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Dreams

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:06 pm

So, how much did this game invade your dreams? I know it got into Rick's head. My brain was literally generating entire days worth of chat logs to keep me occupied at night, and when I finished catching up, I would have startlingly accurate conversations with everyone on the chat about events that had happened the previous day, and some events that had never happened at all. The creepiest one was when one of the detectives made a blog post about a case and I dreamchatted about it, then I woke up to find that a scarily similar post had gone up while I was in bed. I half expected to see me in the chatlog talking about it. O.o
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Re: Dreams

Postby Rick Healey on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:09 pm

Well, of course, there was the entire dream about Mr. Administrator, which inspired me to repurpose one of my old cake ideas with a couple of extra twists (yes, the Mr. Administrator cake is actually mostly a recipe I had lying around for other purposes). I dreamed about most of the characters at various points, with Sweeney and Cheshire being the most vivid ones.

Perhaps the strangest was dreaming that I had to dress like Erik and lead an epic battle against the players. I didn't actually see faces in the dream, but I somehow knew which one was Sicon, which one was Qara, and so on. And no, I don't remember who won.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby narrativedilettante on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:16 pm

I had several TWWF-related dreams, but most of them were vague... dreams about being on the forums, in the chatrooms. Early on I dreamed that I'd made a really embarrassing post and I cringed every time I remembered what I'd posted, but when I woke up I realized that I'd made no such post.

The most clear and also not-boring one was that I was walking around in a setting like that of a role playing game, and I found a powerup that gave +3 Honesty to Mr. Administrator, so he'd be more straightforward with his answers in the future.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Val Reznitskaya on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:19 pm

I had a few ARG-related nightmares, but they were more along the lines of "Oh shit, I didn't do XYZ on time, and now the whole game is broken because of me!" For the record, I still wake up some days wondering if I actually graduated from college, so it's probably not that surprising.
Val Reznitskaya
Puppetmaster

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:50 pm

When I'm not keeping my dream journal, all my dreams are completely null and forgotten as soon as I wake up...
But in the endgame, the sheer amount of reading and discussing and ideas were spinning that I remember the last three or so weeks I had ARG-Related blurry flashes of dreams every single night, even without the dream journal routine that I use when I actually want to remember my dreams.

Shame I don't recall them, I'm sure there was a lot of weird stuff that would be fun to talk about.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:12 pm

Okay, now, last night I dreamed that I was talking to a small girl, and in the dream I was a professional child psychologist or some such, but this girl wasn't a client, just someone I ran into, and circumstances had forced me and the girl and her mother and another person to spend an extended period of time in a room together. And the girl's mother was REALLY UPSET that I was talking to her child, and insisted that I not touch her and tried to insist that I not even speak to her or look at her, because she absolutely did not trust me at all, despite the fact that, in the dream at least, I was very good with kids and extremely qualified and trustworthy.

And I realized, upon waking, that I was dreaming about Sayu and her mom. Even though the girl in the dream was a lot less acerbic than Sayu.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Tom on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:19 pm

I only had stress dreams about the game, similar to Val's. Something goes wrong and has to be fixed right away. The worst night was the one after putting into motion the Moriarty refic plan, when I couldn't be sure anyone else would even wake up early enough to do what I'd worked out the night before. I repeatedly dreamed that Mark forgot something or Raikes forgot something else or it was 9pm when I woke up and nothing had been done at all. I slept a little better after Dana woke up and took care of everything.

One of my recurring dreams is that someone discovers I didn't finish high school, and have one more class I have to go back and do, despite being in my 20's. This isn't so different from that.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Scarab on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:01 pm

Tom wrote:I only had stress dreams about the game, similar to Val's. Something goes wrong and has to be fixed right away. The worst night was the one after putting into motion the Moriarty refic plan, when I couldn't be sure anyone else would even wake up early enough to do what I'd worked out the night before. I repeatedly dreamed that Mark forgot something or Raikes forgot something else or it was 9pm when I woke up and nothing had been done at all. I slept a little better after Dana woke up and took care of everything.

One of my recurring dreams is that someone discovers I didn't finish high school, and have one more class I have to go back and do, despite being in my 20's. This isn't so different from that.

Is this a common dream amongst Americans? I don't recall any of my British friends having any of the not-finishing-high school dreams. I think American high school must be harsher than British.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:13 pm

Scarab wrote:Is this a common dream amongst Americans? I don't recall any of my British friends having any of the not-finishing-high school dreams. I think American high school must be harsher than British.

I've had it, and I believe it's fairly common. The British system is different; as far as I understand it high school ends a year earlier, and then there's a year studying for university entrance exams or something like that. Maybe high school graduation is less stressful because it's not the last word in university admissions?

(Typically American students receive university acceptances before high school graduation, but sometimes those acceptances are conditional upon graduating with a certain GPA.)
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Scarab on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:36 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:
Scarab wrote:Is this a common dream amongst Americans? I don't recall any of my British friends having any of the not-finishing-high school dreams. I think American high school must be harsher than British.

I've had it, and I believe it's fairly common. The British system is different; as far as I understand it high school ends a year earlier, and then there's a year studying for university entrance exams or something like that. Maybe high school graduation is less stressful because it's not the last word in university admissions?

(Typically American students receive university acceptances before high school graduation, but sometimes those acceptances are conditional upon graduating with a certain GPA.)

Something similar. Commonly people finish high school (or comprehensive) at sixteen and then spend up to two years studying select subjects called A-Levels, or, if they'd rather go straight into work they take modern apprenticeships of other career centric paths. Usually unviersity acceptance is based in A levels, not on their high school performance, Sooo essentially we get a couple of extra years to try.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Tom on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:32 pm

I wouldn't generalize about American high school from my experience. I was lucky enough to go to one of the most rigorous public schools in my state. Our school system elsewhere is seriously broken.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby BlackWolfe on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:19 am

Tom wrote:Our school system elsewhere is seriously broken.

I can vouch for that. You wouldn't believe the number of seniors there were in my freshman algebra class.
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
BlackWolfe

Postby H22 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:31 am

Scarab wrote:

Something similar. Commonly people finish high school (or comprehensive) at sixteen and then spend up to two years studying select subjects called A-Levels, or, if they'd rather go straight into work they take modern apprenticeships of other career centric paths. Usually unviersity acceptance is based in A levels, not on their high school performance, Sooo essentially we get a couple of extra years to try.

I should mention we're changing this, to a leaving age of 17. To be needlessly pedantic, there are two separate qualifications (both also qualifications in their own right) which make up A-levels, which are taken normally at 17 at a school with a sixth-form (i.e. to seventeen) I say normally. I've done one. :oops:
Also GCSEs, at sixteen, which affect university entrance occasionally.

BlackWolfe wrote:
Tom wrote:Our school system elsewhere is seriously broken.

I can vouch for that. You wouldn't believe the number of seniors there were in my freshman algebra class.

I can't say I think ours is brilliant, either.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Dryunya on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:31 am

Rerail: at the end of Don Quixote's plotline, I dreamt of his refic. I even thought: "Well what do you know, I can actually write one! :D "

You know where this is going. I forgot the fic. :cry:
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:08 am

Dryunya wrote:Rerail: at the end of Don Quixote's plotline, I dreamt of his refic. I even thought: "Well what do you know, I can actually write one! :D "

:( *Pats shoulder* Sucks, man, don't you hate it when that happens? How many wonderful ideas are lost to the ether of post-sleep?
Scarab

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:33 am

>_> I had a dream we were all rehearsing for a play.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Scarab on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:37 am

eli_gone_crazy wrote:>_> I had a dream we were all rehearsing for a play.

>.>

...Was it a musical? :lol:
Scarab

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:08 am

Dryunya wrote:Rerail: at the end of Don Quixote's plotline, I dreamt of his refic. I even thought: "Well what do you know, I can actually write one! :D "

Don't beat yourself up over forgetting. Sometimes ideas that seem great in dreams turn out to make no sense.

For instance, I was convinced in a dream that I'd developed a terrific product idea. It was sure to make me a millionaire. The idea? A Tarot deck made of drawings of superheroes wearing business suits, printed on napkins. (The Magician would have been Batman.)
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Scarab on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:16 am

Don't beat yourself up over forgetting. Sometimes ideas that seem great in dreams turn out to make no sense.

For instance, I was convinced in a dream that I'd developed a terrific product idea. It was sure to make me a millionaire. The idea? A Tarot deck made of drawings of superheroes wearing business suits, printed on napkins. (The Magician would have been Batman.)

...Waut that ISN'T a great idea? I would totally buy a tarot deck of superheroes printed on napkins.
Scarab

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:25 am

Scarab wrote:

...Waut that ISN'T a great idea? I would totally buy a tarot deck of superheroes printed on napkins.

Maybe you would but somehow I don't think it's going to attract mass appeal. Also, getting the rights to use all the superheroes would be hell.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:40 am

Scarab wrote:
eli_gone_crazy wrote:>_> I had a dream we were all rehearsing for a play.

>.>

...Was it a musical? :lol:

I have no idea. I was upset because I wasn't in the cast. :lol:
eli_gone_crazy

Return to General