Music to run an ARG to

This is for the discussion of topics not covered by the other categories, as well as the Leads Discussion.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Music to run an ARG to

Postby Rick Healey on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:45 pm

Upon further reflection, rather than draw attention from the players' selections for ARG music, this thread will be for the puppet masters to list songs that inspired them while they were working on the game. And to be fair, I'll start with a few that inspired me.

The Alarm - The Stand

I loved listening to this song when we were planning Cthulhu. Especially when we were discussing killing off Adell. The last verse might end with "No epitath engraved," but I knew full well that it may just be Adell that belonged there.

Stellar Corpses - Steel Butterfly

I've been getting into psychobilly of late, and I really enjoyed the looming danger crossed with innocence involved in this song, particularly regarding Tara's arc.

The Killers - When You Were Young

I've always been a fan of this band since I first heard them (in... uh... Singstar, actually). This song in particular rings home to me, because of two things. One, things weren't always quite so rosy for you guys as fiction would have you imagine, but you made do. Plus, the line about "burning down the highway skyline on the back of a hurricane, that started turning when you were young" stood out, because it seemed like you guys never quite saw how much things had been building up until you took a look back.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Red Right Hand

Yeah, I listened to this one a ton.

Due to being at work, YouTube links will come later.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Re: Music to run an ARG to

Postby Scarab on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:30 pm

Let me save you that concern.

The link to Rick's above songs:

Alarm - The Stand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csAeCv8aCCo

Stellar Corpses - Steel Butterfly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zTqrcOFXew

The Killers - When You Were Young: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff0oWESdmH0

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Red Right Hand http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrxePKps87k

Can't deny, the man's got taste.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:40 pm

Did any of you ever get into OUR playlist? It was posted on Off Topic, but we linked a few characters to it, so...
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Rick Healey on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:42 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Did any of you ever get into OUR playlist? It was posted on Off Topic, but we linked a few characters to it, so...

Personally, no, but that's because I was mostly busy with other stuff. I merely did a quick sweep of it to make sure that, like other parts of Off Topic, it wasn't breaking any rules. (EDIT: It was a very quick sweep; I suspected, and you proved me right, that the topic was highly unlikely to turn sour.)

I'll probably listen a bit more closely in the next few weeks.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:08 pm

Scarab wrote:Can't deny, the man's got taste.

Indeed. :)

And on this matter. I'd like to add all that to the Soundtrack, but how do you think I should go about it?

I was thinking on keeping the pattern and adding them to Vol. 3 under the GM!Name tag, with the advantage of keeping the playback link as is (because I don't know how much longer it can get before breaking the length limit). But do you think we should make a stand alone playlist exclusively for GM submissions?
I'm fine with either though, so your call.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Scarab on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:21 pm

Pixelmage wrote:
Scarab wrote:Can't deny, the man's got taste.

Indeed. :)

And on this matter. I'd like to add all that to the Soundtrack, but how do you think I should go about it?

I was thinking on keeping the pattern and adding them to Vol. 3 under the GM!Name tag, with the advantage of keeping the playback link as is (because I don't know how much longer it can get before breaking the length limit). But do you think we should make a stand alone playlist exclusively for GM submissions?
I'm fine with either though, so your call.

Maybe you could start another playlist for the GM music only, that's if the GM folks are all okay with that?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Rick Healey on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:40 pm

However you guys want to organize a playlist is up to you. There's merits to each way you could do it.

Oh, I've got another that I enjoyed listening to, but was very vexing at the same time:

The Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack - Oogie Boogie's Song

First off, freaking amazing song. And actually, once things started that players were filking about this game, I immediately tried to think of ways to do this song about someone, anyone. I came closest with doing this about Mr. A, but the problem was that I just couldn't get my head properly wrapped around the cadence - it's so jazzy, so carnival-like, and yet so operatic, I just couldn't pull it together. I could probably sing it, but writing lyrics that fit that style? I like to pride myself on being good at imitating writing styles (it's one of those things that an editor needs to be able to do), but I have my limits.

Still, I still will sometimes sing/say to myself, with a devilish smile "I'm Mister Administrator... and you ain't going nowhere!"
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Tom on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:51 pm

Sicon--the first thread I was active in was the music thread. You guys helped me rediscover (and finally learn the name of) Skyfall, for one thing. So, thanks for that!
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:07 pm

Well, Scarab convinced me to go with the new playlist route, so: Here it is! :D

I'll update it in the same way I did with the player soundtrack as long as you keep posting songs.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Rick Healey on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:46 am

Well, I'll resist the urge to pick the obvious song for me (just because it's my theme song doesn't mean it fits the ARG). That said, although I didn't listen to it during development, a really obvious choice for the puppet master side:

Nick Lowe - Cruel To Be Kind

I don't think I need to explain this one at all. The only thing I note is that Nick Lowe's nickname was "Basher," which makes me think that he'd be a hell of a puppet master himself.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Return to General