Refictionalisation-Don Quixote

"Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind."

[Refictionalized 12 Dec 2012]

Refictionalisation-Don Quixote

Postby H22 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:11 pm

This is possibly the most vital refic. When we get this echo...
Last edited by H22 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Re: Refictionalisation-Don Quixote

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:24 pm

Not when we get his echo.
My opinion: Those who intend to make a DQ refic, start on it now. Adding a few scenes to integrate a trope will be faster than writing everything only after we get the echo. And since time is a very big concern, it's only logical that we should start writing it at once, just so we're ready to deliver it the moment his last echo is on our hands.

We can use this to coordinate the efforts! Let's save DQ and then the rest of the world metaguards!
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Dryunya on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:11 pm

Meta: we should try to guess the trope from the context. He went to the zoo to calm himself after Tara's death. I'm guessing it's I Let Gwen Stacy Die, Heroic BSOD, or something similar. But maybe it has something to do with Deanna, who was stalking him at the time. The former are safer, I think.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:29 am

Now that we have both of his Echoes, we can all work in earnest on giving Don Quixote the best refictionalizaiton we can imagine. He's counting on us, people.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Dryunya on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:46 am

I'm still not sure about the second trope. The first is clearly Why Did It Have To Be Snakes. Which I have no idea how to apply, considering that he conquered all his fears this week.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:26 am

Dryunya wrote:I'm still not sure about the second trope. The first is clearly Why Did It Have To Be Snakes. Which I have no idea how to apply, considering that he conquered all his fears this week.

Easy. It doesn't have to be Quixote with such a weakness, does it?
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby S_o_S on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:07 am

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:
Dryunya wrote:I'm still not sure about the second trope. The first is clearly Why Did It Have To Be Snakes. Which I have no idea how to apply, considering that he conquered all his fears this week.

Easy. It doesn't have to be Quixote with such a weakness, does it?

Genndy's right. The trope only has to be in the story. You could always apply it to Sancho, Rocinante, etc.

As for the second trope, I think the most likely one is Double Standard, as I said in the chat last night.
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:57 am

Update: checked with A
Why Did it Have To be Snakes is def the first trope
he said Double Standard is "an acceptable interpretation" but I think we need to find a more specific subtrope?
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby JackAlsworth on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:23 pm

I've been bouncing ideas off of the wall in my spare time, and while I don't think I'll be able to come up with anything concrete, I'll probably just share them here.

My first instinct was to try and write a song/poem to the tune of Sorairo Days from Gurren Lagann. Not sure how viable it is.
JackAlsworth

Postby H22 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:42 pm

I'm planning on actually wwriting music, myself.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Victin on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:11 pm

I think I'll try to make a "comic" by taking screenshots and writing something under them.
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:23 pm

I'm planning on making an actual story, with various vague references to the ARG and modern culture.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Dryunya on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:02 pm

I thought of making a comic, too - it would be highly suitable for his Beyond The Impossible nature. But even if I could actually draw, it would require drawing A LOT to tell a story. So I'm still considering the options.
Dryunya

Postby Victin on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:38 pm

Dryunya wrote:I thought of making a comic, too - it would be highly suitable for his Beyond The Impossible nature. But even if I could actually draw, it would require drawing A LOT to tell a story. So I'm still considering the options.

I was going to use Minecraft.
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Dryunya on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:46 pm

... :shock:
... :?
That works, too! :D
Dryunya

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:48 pm

Could someone please list what Quixote wanted in his story?
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:11 pm

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:Could someone please list what Quixote wanted in his story?

The story must include a panacea to heal him.

Getting the picture of Brad and Tara in there (I suggested calling it a portrait to get around anachronisms but it's up to every person how they want to handle it) is recommended.

Don stated outright that when he goes back he will be a true hero, not a deluded one.

And I can't find the tweets right now but I do remember him talking about the story and saying that he wanted it to be incredible and epic and feature astonishing acts of heroism and all that. Or at least I'm pretty sure I remember it and am not just making that up.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Dryunya on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:14 am

Also, this is one of the few refics that could actually justify having giant robots. Just saying. ^__^
Dryunya

Postby Jeroic9 on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Recall as well that it doesn't need strict continuity with his adventures in the Real World, according to Mr. A, but I agree that we need to include giant robots.
I wrote a book. Adding to the far side of the wall.
Jeroic9

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:34 pm

I already sent mine. Dunno if it'll be chosen and I didn't add giant robots.
But there is no way in hell I'd not make it in continuity with his plotline here. Up to him if it works or not, and personally I don't see myself as a Refic-Worthy writer, so someone will probably out-write me. But still, It's Don. I had to write something. ;)
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Dryunya on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Guys. In the chatroom, I suddenly came up with the best idea in existence.

:gurt: The collab comic. :gurt:

One man to write the script (because one-man writing is a constraint), and then everyone to draw the panels the way we can. That will be the closest we'll get to Crazy Awesome. So, if there's enough support... Post your scripts here! We'll pick the best one (or ask Mr. A - after all, it's him who chooses the story).

I think 20-25 panels will do - don't forget that we'll have to draw that. AND the script must be cleanly divided into the panels, so that we could distribute the work properly. We need to give a man a complete description of what should be in the panel.

And, well, everyone tune in! I do expect some rudimentary drawing skills, though. The threshold is low - just don't suck, okay? :D
Dryunya

Postby The Finch on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:08 pm

Dryunya wrote:Guys. In the chatroom, I suddenly came up with the best idea in existence.

One man to write the script (because one-man writing is a constraint), and then everyone to draw the panels the way we can. That will be the closest we'll get to Crazy Awesome. So, if there's enough support... Post your scripts here! We'll pick the best one (or ask Mr. A - after all, it's him who chooses the story).

I think 20-25 panels will do - don't forget that we'll have to draw that. AND the script must be cleanly divided into the panels, so that we could distribute the work properly. We need to give a man a complete description of what should be in the panel.

And, well, everyone tune in! I do expect some rudimentary drawing skills, though. The threshold is low - just don't suck, okay? :D

2 things.

One: Can it have some Stylistic Suck, or is it the best we can do?
Two: Do we send it to you?
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:15 pm

Count me in.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Dryunya on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 pm

The Finch wrote:One: Can it have some Stylistic Suck, or is it the best we can do?
Two: Do we send it to you?

Well, I believe the process will follow that pattern:
  1. Everyone writes his script, divided by panels. I'll go create a thread for this.
  2. When we get enough of these, we point Mr. A there. I think we could leave it for ~2-3 days to write the scripts.
  3. When Mr. A picks the script, we draw. We should divide our work by panels, but I think it will be even better if everyone tries to draw as much panels as possible, so that we have something to choose from.
  4. One of us (I could totally do this) edits the stuff together, adds text bubbles, maybe tries to color if someone didn't, and we get our epic comic. :gurt:

And answering your second question - everything goes into the comic thread, so that we don't lose anything if the image hoster crashes, or something. Well, the scripts sure do. When it comes to the images - use your best judgement.
Dryunya

Postby Victin on Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:33 pm

Dryunya wrote:Guys. In the chatroom, I suddenly came up with the best idea in existence.

I'm in, and I have a few ideas in mind. I'll post them as soon as I can, maybe not today.
Victin

Next

Return to [REFIC'D] Don Quixote