Refictionalisation-Don Quixote

"Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind."

[Refictionalized 12 Dec 2012]

Re: Refictionalisation-Don Quixote

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:43 pm

I like the collab comic idea a lot, but there are some things I'd like clarified before I decide to jump in. Some of this depends on how Mr. A says he'd handle it, so I'll see if we can get his reaction.

1. Would we still want individuals to submit their own refic stories, or would those of us who collaborate on the comic agree that this is the one entry for all of us?

2. I'd like to see a schedule set out that everyone can agree to, so that we know when the scripts will be done, when we'll decide which script to use, and so forth. I think there should be some wiggle room in the schedule to allow for people not working as fast as they initially think they will.

3. If we do get Mr. A involved in choosing a script, it seems like that would constitute determining that the comic is definitely the story he'll be using to refic Quixote. I guess I just think it'd be messy to have him involved at an early stage like that, but at the same time it seems like we'd be doing a lot of work for nothing if we finished and found that Mr. A doesn't like the comic we came up with, so I guess I'm just a little wary of the logistics.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Dryunya on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:49 pm

First, there's no way the comic should hinder writing the regular stories. I think some have already been written.
Second, I've asked for Mr. A's confirmation - I think he should accept the idea.
I'll need to think about the rest a little bit. I have a little more time lately than I did... a little less lately :) , so I hope to come up with something more definite tomorrow.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:51 pm

Dryunya wrote:First, there's no way the comic should hinder writing the regular stories. I think some have already been written.
Second, I've asked for Mr. A's confirmation - I think he should accept the idea.
I'll need to think about the rest a little bit. I have a little more time lately than I did... a little less lately :) , so I hope to come up with something more definite tomorrow.

Okay, cool.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:54 pm

I think, since this is Quixote's life we're playing with, it's always best to hedge our bets and send in as many refics as possible. So working on the comic collab shouldn't preclude you from sending in another refic, and if your script's not chosen, nothing stops you from sending it to A anyway, either with your own art or just as a script.

I'd assume the script-choosing would be by consensus here-- it doesn't really make sense to ask A to pick one, because of the reasons you said. We could probably hold a vote or something.

(Also, I asked A to double-check that one person can send in multiple refics for one character. Still waiting on his reply, but I don't think it should be a problem-- so, again, working on the comic won't stop you from sending in your own refic as well.)

And, I mean, the collab idea is awesome. So if it's awesome enough to be the one chosen, it WILL be, regardless of whatever else we send in. And on the crazy, ridiculous, off-chance that it's not... at least we'll be giving them other refics to choose from.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:23 pm

I... Don't think that this will ultimately work out. Sadly.
Don't get me wrong, it is awesome. But we can't really risk not sending "vanilla" refics, after all we need a pool of entries to compare and choose the best one to be canon.
This means that, as awesome as it is, it could quite possibly be out-written and then we'd feel bad because our awesome collab refic didn't become canon. Or, Mr. A chooses it regardless just because we pushed the meta buttons to make it happen... And that is an Ass Pull by us.

So, it can work, it can be awesome, but please guys, be aware that it might not be chosen as Canon.

I have already sent mine, but quite honestly, I don't really like it that much... I couldn't give Quixote all the animals and I didn't truly get his awesomeness in paper... We can go for the collab, maybe even I can help, but before we agree to that we should agree that it will be just another entry to fight on the same level to all other entries. And we should send other entries.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Guyshane on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:27 pm

I will help
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:27 pm

Pixelmage wrote:We can go for the collab, maybe even I can help, but before we agree to that we should agree that it will be just another entry to fight on the same level to all other entries. And we should send other entries.

That's what I thought we were doing. I didn't think anyone believed that the collab would be an automatic win. But it does stand a fairly good chance with a well written story. Either way, we end it with an awesome collaboration. I don't think it'll hurt. But yeah, anyone who was planning to send in a refic anyway shouldn't stop just because of this.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:37 pm

My point is.
Doing a collab is a lot of work. A lot of effort, from everyone.
You work that hard on something and it is not recognized... It can be quite disappointing. And since it's unfair to go "META: We Want it Like THIS :tantrum:", its chance of failing is equal to it's chance of succeeding.

Don't let me stop you guys. To be honest I do want see this get through... I'm mostly drawing out the shortcomings of the plan, if anything, to make absolutely sure that everyone is ok with taking that chance.

EDIT: You know what?
https://twitter.com/YouHaveFailedUs/sta ... 8948317186

We can make it happen. :gurt:
Pixelmage

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:22 am

Well, I sent in my refic (and if it's not chosen, then once one is, I'll explain what my insane "secret weapon" was. I doubt it will be chosen, since other than that "secret weapon", the story's not all that strong).

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:42 am

The end of the 11th (i.e., the midnight when the 11th becomes the 12th) has been declared by A to be the time A will choose which story sends Quixote back.

Which means, I presume, that any refics should be in before then.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:33 am

As I've said in the chatroom, that probably rules out the collab comic - we simply won't have enough time. :( But the scripts should still be accepted as a story, so keep writing them if you started.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby H22 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:49 am

My wordless song has been emailed.

In much more important news:
IT HAS BEEN DECIDED THAT AL MUSIC IS HENCEFORTH NOTATED IN BEARS PER MINUTE. FOR INSTANCE, THERE MIGHT BE FUR CROTCHET BEARS IN A BAR.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:47 pm

Welp. He's gone.
Thank you, Pixie.

*is shaking*

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Pixelmage on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:20 am

Brad posted it on Tara's blog.

I... Still can't believe my refic was chosen... Just, thanks. Now we know Don is home and well.
Pixelmage

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:10 am

Pixelmage wrote:Brad posted it on Tara's blog.

I... Still can't believe my refic was chosen... Just, thanks. Now we know Don is home and well.

I'm going to miss him.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:35 am

Good work, Pixel. That was beautiful.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby JRPictures on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:09 am

That was so beautiful. I love it.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.twwf.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Victin on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:37 am

Pixelmage wrote:Brad posted it on Tara's blog.

Awesome Pixel. Just, awesome. :gurt:
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Dryunya on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:57 am

Hmm, you did your refic by not mentioning the setting.
...nice Loophole Abuse there! :gurt: :gurt:
Dryunya

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 pm

A magnificent tale, sir. Magnificent.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Scarab on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:12 pm

That was freaking beautiful, Pixel. I don’t really have the words for it, just... I will glomp you as soon as I find you in the Chatroom. It’ll be the biggest virtual glomp you’ve ever had. Just a warning.

I think I’ve realised why Quixote was so special to us. It was more than just amusement at his delusions. In the beginning he was lancing at windmills, imaginary threats, and hey, we’re doing that in the real world every day. And what was it that Gaiman quoted, at the beginning of Coraline? “Fairy Tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

If we start believing we can fight imaginary monsters in a fictional world, then why can’t grow to believe we can fight for the REAL world, too, however messy and complicated it may be? That's almosty exactly what Don did. What we’re doing isn’t necessarily heroic, but it’s something we have to rise to meet, and for the first time since we received the deadline? I really think we can.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Pixelmage on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks guys. Thanks.

@Dryu, I didn't directly think Loophole Abuse, to be honest... All I thought was: "It has to be in Qixote's world... And away from everything he did here? Screw that. I'm not having his time here wiped out." And I really didn't think it would be chosen, that was really surprising.
Pixelmage

Postby Adell on Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Manly tears were shed. And by manly I mean I nearly cried like a baby.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby S_o_S on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Adell wrote:Manly tears were shed. And by manly I mean I nearly cried like a baby.

This, except tears were actually shed here. Pixel. You legend of a man. That was worth of Don. May God bless his soul.
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby Jeroic9 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Good one, Pixel. And clever on you by keeping the setting ambiguous enough that it could be the TWWF story as easily as his own version of Spain.
I wrote a book. Adding to the far side of the wall.
Jeroic9

PreviousNext

Return to [REFIC'D] Don Quixote