Discussion of Gulliver's letters

"There's never a man looked me between the eyes and seen a good day a'terward."

"Every man desires to live long, but no man wishes to be old.”

[Gulliver refictionalized 27 Nov 2012]
[LJS refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Re: Discussion of Gulliver's letters

Postby Scarab on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:
Not Your Sayu-chan wrote:wow i don't believe this. gulliver's just as moronic as i pictured him in my head.

Not out-and-out saying she met him, but implying it strongly enough to qualify as trolling, I think.

But either way, we should probably find out what really happened. Can someone ask Silver via twitter to give his perspective on the "young lady" who confronted Gulliver?

Well that's a very rude way to speak to one of the most famous literary characters of all time. And you called us rude, Sayu. Did he cheese you off or something? :|

No Twitter here, I can ask Gulliver... but I think that may not be required at this point
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:51 pm

I still say Not Sayu met Gulliver because she is a PM. On "how did she recognize him" - well, it's not that hard to notice a bumbling moron constantly scribbling on a piece of paper. :)

Oh, forgot the evidence. She didn't know about the ARG when she found Gulliver. How the hell else do you think she could find him, if his blog isn't even showing up on googling "Gulliver's blog"? Also, she ignored that exact question from me.

Btw, meta: I think GMs noticed that we had no tropers in Hawaii. ;)
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:53 pm

Scarab wrote:
Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:
Not Your Sayu-chan wrote:wow i don't believe this. gulliver's just as moronic as i pictured him in my head.

Not out-and-out saying she met him, but implying it strongly enough to qualify as trolling, I think.

But either way, we should probably find out what really happened. Can someone ask Silver via twitter to give his perspective on the "young lady" who confronted Gulliver?

Well that's a very rude way to speak to one of the most famous literary characters of all time. And you called us rude, Sayu. Did he cheese you off or something? :|

No Twitter here, I can ask Gulliver... but I think that may not be required at this point

I sent a tweet to Silver, but he never answers my tweets... If he does I'll let you know, but I don't think this is relevant...

Or this is not an ARG and she really met Gulliver.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:56 pm

If it's not relevant, why mention it? I can only think of two possibilities for mentioning it: 1, because the young lady is a person of interest and we're meant to investigate further, or 2, the GMs are worried we feel the same way as her so they put that in to see what kind of response we'd give in the comments.
So I guess an attempt at looking into it should determine which of those it is; if 1, we'll get info, and if 2, we'll be brushed off.

Pixel I am continuing to ignore your madness.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:02 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:If it's not relevant, why mention it? I can only think of two possibilities for mentioning it: 1, because the young lady is a person of interest and we're meant to investigate further, or 2, the GMs are worried we feel the same way as her so they put that in to see what kind of response we'd give in the comments.
So I guess an attempt at looking into it should determine which of those it is; if 1, we'll get info, and if 2, we'll be brushed off.

Pixel I am continuing to ignore your madness.

Could be a nod to Sayu's post too. Yeah, I agree, it's worth at least trying to know what it is.

But think about it. Would it not be genius to have the utter collapse of the reallity disgised as an ARG just so we don't panic and keep working to fend it off lightheratedly instead of panicing and screwing everything up? So, she could have met Gulliver for real. And insanity is good. You should try it!
Pixelmage

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:04 pm

Dryunya wrote:<Perfectly sensible explanation that makes sense and sits in accordance with the rules of reality>

Stop curing my insanity Dryu! :lol: You could at least wait until I can drive a couple people insane....
Pixelmage

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Dryunya wrote:
Btw, meta: I think GMs noticed that we had no tropers in Hawaii. ;)

I'm confused. You mean, noticed and therefore had this happen there? Or noticed and will therefore compensate for our inability to get someone on-location? Or something else?

Pixel: I defy you! I SHALL NEVER SUCCUMB TO INSANITY! I AM INVINCIBLE! AHAHAHAHAHAHA. Ahem.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Scarab on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Pixelmage wrote:But think about it. Would it not be genius to have the utter collapse of the reallity disgised as an ARG just so we don't panic and keep working to fend it off lightheratedly instead of panicing and screwing everything up? So, she could have met Gulliver for real. And insanity is good. You should try it!

We're all thinking it. Let's not pretend otherwise. In the words of my people: KEEP CALM AND CARRY THE FRIG ON.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:17 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:I'm confused. You mean, noticed and therefore had this happen there? Or noticed and will therefore compensate for our inability to get someone on-location? Or something else?

He means that:
There will be an Echo in Hawaii > No players in Hawaii > Therefore we create a player from Hawaii > Theoretical player from Hawaii finds Echo > Game continues.

Embrace the insanity!!!
Pixelmage

Postby Scarab on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:19 pm

Pixelmage wrote:
Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:I'm confused. You mean, noticed and therefore had this happen there? Or noticed and will therefore compensate for our inability to get someone on-location? Or something else?

He means that:
There will be an Echo in Hawaii > No players in Hawaii > Therefore we create a player from Hawaii > Theoretical player from Hawaii finds Echo > Game continues.

Embrace the insanity!!!

So... the GMs created a player to be in a spot we can't get to? If that's the case why make her too young to have a smartphone?

IT'S LIKE LIGHTNING IN MY SOUL!!! MY SOUL I TELL YOU!
Scarab

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:22 pm

Scarab wrote:So... the GMs created a player to be in a spot we can't get to? If that's the case why make her too young to have a smartphone?

I don't think that's the case. I was just translating Dryu's meta-speak. I really don't know what to think.

Besides this not being an ARG.
Pixelmage

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:28 pm

I think we assume too much of the GMs. (Besides, why make the fake Hawaiian hate Gulliver? It seems unnecessary)

Of course it isn't an ARG. It's actually a novel. We're all fictional characters on paper right now. Um. I mean... Of course I'm perfectly sane.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:31 pm

And unrelated, but why does Gulliver's blog attract so much spam? It's not something that happened with any of the others. Unless he just doesn't know how to filter it.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Pixelmage wrote:I don't think that's the case. I was just translating Dryu's meta-speak. I really don't know what to think.

A ton of meta:
As far as I understand, the comic book places are fixed, as the comic is already completed. Gulliver was depicted in Hawaii (maybe there were palm trees, or something), and that's where the echo would have to be created. There were no players in Hawaii, therefore some had to be made. Sayu-chan has managed to attract some attention, and was made "unable to use a smartphone" to look more real. If we don't find anyone soon, she'll begrudgingly agree, mark my words.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Adell on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:42 pm

This is starting to get borderline off topic. I guess technically it's not, but you're really starting to bog it down in meta talk guys.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:43 pm

Dryunya wrote:
Pixelmage wrote:I don't think that's the case. I was just translating Dryu's meta-speak. I really don't know what to think.

A ton of meta:
As far as I understand, the comic book places are fixed, as the comic is already completed. Gulliver was depicted in Hawaii (maybe there were palm trees, or something), and that's where the echo would have to be created. There were no players in Hawaii, therefore some had to be made. Sayu-chan has managed to attract some attention, and was made "unable to use a smartphone" to look more real. If we don't find anyone soon, she'll begrudgingly agree, mark my words.

I think something deeper is going on here, but I cannot say what yet. My theories and information are incomplete. I don't yet believe that this is that simple...
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:46 pm

Dryunya wrote:

A ton of meta:

There is another possibilty:
Sayu (the comment in question): "I read the book and didn't like him, now that I'm reading his blog I like him even less!"

As for the meta, yeah, that's what I figured, but it kind of loses points when we figure it out someone is a fake player. So, they'll just fork over the pages we have no one currently able to get? I'll not dig too deep on this point though. Too much meta in the table already.
Pixelmage

Postby Dryunya on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Sicon112 wrote:I think something deeper is going on here, but I cannot say what yet. My theories and information are incomplete. I don't yet believe that this is that simple...

Well, if she was intended to be a part of the plot, why introduce her as one of us? If they needed PMs in disguise, they should have planted them a lot earlier (as I feared they did ;) ).
Pixelmage wrote:There is another possibilty:
Sayu (the comment in question): "I read the book and didn't like him, now that I'm reading his blog I like him even less!"

I'm not sure where you're going with that.
Dryunya

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Dryunya wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:I think something deeper is going on here, but I cannot say what yet. My theories and information are incomplete. I don't yet believe that this is that simple...

Well, if she was intended to be a part of the plot, why introduce her as one of us? If they needed PMs in disguise, they should have planted them a lot earlier (as I feared they did ;) ).

She has been around for over a week now. Haven't you noticed?
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:52 pm

Dryunya wrote:

If that's what she meant by that comment, she could well enough be a real player... Well, not that she's here defending her case, at any rate.

But if she is a real player, the post could be a nod to tease us, background detail for credibility, another PoI, etc.
Pixelmage

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Dryunya wrote:]As far as I understand, the comic book places are fixed, as the comic is already completed. Gulliver was depicted in Hawaii (maybe there were palm trees, or something), and that's where the echo would have to be created.

This got me thinking. Echoes usually happen where persons of interest intersect. It's obviously not the case for Gulliver and Silver, or they'd have been leaving a trail of echoes from Australia to Japan and now to Hawaii. Which strengthens my conviction that the young lady WAS a poi, which is why there's an echo there in the first place.
And if that's the case, then we'll know for sure if we SEE her in the echo comic. So the best way to resolve this is to get that echo soon, I guess.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:14 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:
Dryunya wrote:]As far as I understand, the comic book places are fixed, as the comic is already completed. Gulliver was depicted in Hawaii (maybe there were palm trees, or something), and that's where the echo would have to be created.

This got me thinking. Echoes usually happen where persons of interest intersect. It's obviously not the case for Gulliver and Silver, or they'd have been leaving a trail of echoes from Australia to Japan and now to Hawaii. Which strengthens my conviction that the young lady WAS a poi, which is why there's an echo there in the first place.
And if that's the case, then we'll know for sure if we SEE her in the echo comic. So the best way to resolve this is to get that echo soon, I guess.

Disproven by the witch, who was alone in her echo. Also, Romeo and Juliet have also been sticking together since they got here, well, until their break up.

I think the better theory is that the echoes occur during moments of heightened emotions. Quixote's was activated by his act of heroism, and his intense fear of spiders. R and J's was their very emotional break up. The witch was very depressed, near suicidal. And Gulliver had a very heated confrontation with a woman who didn't like him very much. It's all about the emotions.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Zup on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:16 pm

And Holmes and Poirot were both angry, so that does fit. Hm..

And I agree, Not Your Sayu-Chan is extremely suspicious considering that all of her posts have been about Gulliver, except the most recent one.
The wall will fall, if they stay; then we'll fight another day.
Never fear, the tropers here will help the written find their way.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby Dryunya on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:16 pm

[/quote]
Sicon112 wrote:She has been around for over a week now. Haven't you noticed?

Well, she noticed his blog on 15th, joined on 16th, and I still don't see your point.
Pixelmage wrote:
Dryunya wrote:
Pixelmage wrote:Sayu (the comment in question): "I read the book and didn't like him, now that I'm reading his blog I like him even less!"

If that's what she meant by that comment, she could well enough be a real player... Well, not that she's here defending her case, at any rate.

But if she is a real player, the post could be a nod to tease us, background detail for credibility, another PoI, etc.

I can't even find that comment of hers. Is it in the blog? Because it's certainly not on the forum.
..sorry, I'm dense.

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:I think the better theory is that the echoes occur during moments of heightened emotions.

That's more likely, but Gulliver didn't mention any emotional outbreaks. We still need to see his echo to confirm that, though.
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:17 pm

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:
Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:

Disproven by the witch, who was alone in her echo. Also, Romeo and Juliet have also been sticking together since they got here, well, until their break up.

I think the better theory is that the echoes occur during moments of heightened emotions. Quixote's was activated by his act of heroism, and his intense fear of spiders. R and J's was their very emotional break up. The witch was very depressed, near suicidal. And Gulliver had a very heated confrontation with a woman who didn't like him very much. It's all about the emotions.

Good point. But that STILL indicates that the young woman will be in the echo. So-- here's hoping.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

PreviousNext

Return to [REFIC'D] Gulliver & Long John Silver