Refictionalization: Long John Silver

"There's never a man looked me between the eyes and seen a good day a'terward."

"Every man desires to live long, but no man wishes to be old.”

[Gulliver refictionalized 27 Nov 2012]
[LJS refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Refictionalization: Long John Silver

Postby Blurred_9L on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:57 pm

So, since we already got the echo for his refic, I'm going to go ahead and put this here:

Mr. A has confirmed that the trope Jerk with a Heart of Gold strongly ressonates with the echo.
Also, for now, there's no time limit for his refictionalization, but he did claim he is looking for the best time to start it, so I'll keep you updated on that.

On the matter of reuniting LJS with Gulliver, it seems that the idea of using messages in bottles is possible, though its inclusion must be something that helps the story, not something just thrown in it just for the hell of it. He also says that it might not work, so we gotta be careful with this one.

Leaving here the links just in case:

Here...
here...
...and here

Also, credit goes to Adell for making the suggestion of the trope. Thanks Mod :P
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Re: Refictionalization: Long John Silver

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:49 am

Okay, I FINALLY sent in my refic for this one. I tried to follow the guidelines of both Silver and A. Will it make A cry? I don't know. But I sure as hell hope so.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Mr. Administrator on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:30 pm

THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO SENT IN REFICTIONALIZATION STORIES FOR LONG JOHN SILVER.

THE REFIC THAT HAS BEEN ELEVATED TO CANON IS NARRATIVEDILETTANTE'S. CONGRATULATIONS.

My family moved to the coast during the summer when I was six years old. Our house
was adequate if unremarkable, but the house next door was something astonishing. The
architect had been given one instruction, and that was “Ensure that everyone who sees it
thinks ‘Whoever lives here is obscenely wealthy’.”

I overheard my parents discussing our neighbor, speculating about his background and hoping
to make his acquaintance, when we first moved in. After the first month, though, we hadn’t seen
him, and the conversations stopped. My speculations, though, kept going. I imagined that a
secret king, deposed from a foreign land, was in hiding there. He never showed sign that he
was there for fear of being found out.

Or else it belonged to a scientist who was always away, sharing his new inventions and
selling patents. He had no time for the coastal life, for he needed to be in a city with proper
laboratories. I had dozens of explanations, but no evidence for or against any of them.

For several months I saw no sign of him, until one day, Christmas Eve as it turns out, when I
was out collecting shells on the beach in front of his house. Our house had no beachfront, so I
spent quite a lot of time near our mysterious absent neighbor’s home. A shadow fell over me as
I dug through the sand for intact shells.

I looked up to see a large, imposing man with a thick black beard and a scowl. “Get out of my
way,” he growled, “and get off my beach.”

A small, easily intimidated child, I obeyed immediately. I didn’t pause to gather the shells I had
already collected, rather, I stood up and ran up the path to the street and my own house. Once
my feet were no longer pounding against sand, I ventured to look behind me. Only then did I
notice the man’s most distinguishing feature: His wooden leg. I’d been so focussed on his face
staring down at me that I hadn’t even seen the rest of him. I watched from a distance as he
seemed to throw something into the sea, and then I thought he was about to turn around again,
and rather than let him catch me watching, I ran the rest of the way home.

Upon asking the other children who lived nearby, I learned that all of them feared my neighbor,
to the extent that they would hardly dare visit my house. Though he was traveling (to where, no
one knew) most of the time, his schedule was erratic, and they preferred to stay away, for they
never knew when he would appear, shouting and growling and threatening horrible things.

I, too, learned to stay away from my neighbor’s property. Over the next few years I learned
something of his patterns: He would leave for months at a time, and rarely spent more than a
week at home. During the month of December, though, he would be home the entire time. That
month was a fearful one for me. The bright lights and extravagant dinner of Christmas did little
to lighten my mood. Every time I caught sight of my neighbor, he would fix me with his cruel
eyes, and I would lose a little more of my childish, carefree outlook.

Nothing caused me to revise my opinion of my neighbor, or my fear of him, until I was
fifteen. Early in December of that year, I was alone in the house when I heard a knock at the
door. Opening it, I saw my neighbor on the other side. Even at that age, I was still frightfully
intimidated by him, and I couldn’t bring myself to speak. Luckily, my neighbor seemed to have
no issue with speaking first.

“I’ve got a request ter make of ye,” he said, “that is, if yer up fer earnin’ some spendin’ money.”

“Er.” Was all I could get out at first. “Wh... what is it?”

“I’ll give you this coin.” My neighbor held up a large gold coin of a design I didn’t recognize.
It was either foreign, or very old. Either way, it was certainly valuable. “And all ye need to do
is take this bottle,” in his other hand, my neighbor presented a clear glass bottle, sealed with
a cork and containing a scroll of paper, “and throw it into the sea on Christmas Eve. I’d do it
meself, but I’ve been notified of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I just can’t pass a thing like
that up. But, I can’t bring meself to let this year go by without honorin’ the old tradition. Do we
have a deal, lad?”

“Um... Yes. Of course we do.” My greed overtook my fear for long enough that I accepted
possession of the bottle, and my neighbor dropped the gold coin into my hand. It was heavy,
presumably quite pure.

“Good lad. I’ll be on me way now. Oh, but there’s one thing: Don’t you dare read that letter. It’s
not written fer you, and it’s none of yer business what it says. Got it?” As he said this, he rose
up in front of me like a bear that was about to attack.

“Y-yes, sir. Got it.” I said, shaking from the confrontation.

Well, after a warning like that, what was a young man like me to do but read the letter? Though
the man terrified me, I couldn’t imagine that he’d have any way of knowing what I’d done. So I
pulled the cork out of the bottle, followed by the letter, and read my neighbor’s oh-so-important
letter. It was addressed to someone with a strange name, who seemed to be a good friend of
my neighbor’s, but who hadn’t seen him for some years. It described his life over the course of
the previous year, and referred to other, preceding letters, for information going further back.

It ended with, “I wish I could hear of your children. By now they must be accomplished and
respected. I should hope they’ve surpassed their father by now. I can’t say he gave them much
of a standard to hold up. Still, at least one of us has a family to carry on his legacy, eh? There
are times I regret not finding a wife, but then the sea calls to me and I remember that I’m a man
who answers to no one but his own ambitions. Of course, I say ambitions where you might say
greed, but that’s a matter for another discussion. I end this letter, as I end all of these, by saying
you were the best friend a man could hope to find, and I don’t regret a thing about the time we
spent together. Your faithful friend,
Long John Silver”

Before I read the letter, I had never considered my neighbor to be a man of depth or
compassion. I saw a new side to him now, a side that was friendly, that cared about others and
was dedicated to reaching out to them, even if the only means available was as notoriously
unreliable as a message in a bottle. Part of me was dying with curiosity, and I wanted dearly to
ask my neighbor about this friend of his and how they knew each other and why they were no
longer in frequent communication. However, to do so would have revealed my trespass, and I
was far too frightened to risk it. I threw the message into the sea as I was asked, and tried to
forget about it.

I couldn’t help but discuss it with friends, though, and it turned out they already knew of my
neighbor’s annual message in a bottle. One of my friends even proved useful. He dug around
in a trunk for a few minutes before coming up with four messages in bottles, just like the one I’d
sent out for my neighbor. “These turned up when I was fishing. I think the current swept them
into the same place,” he explained.

I read these letters, and they were much like the one I had sent out, but describing different
years. One seemed to be from the year I arrived at the coast, another from just two years ago.
They all expressed hope and optimism, things I had a hard time believing that my neighbor
possessed.

Another year passed, and when Christmas Eve again came round, I walked out to the beach
to find my neighbor casting his habitual bottled message into the sea. When he’d done that, he
turned around and walked back toward his house, passing me without a word. This time, I would
have to speak first. “May I ask you some questions?”

My neighbor didn’t change his pace. “Ye can ask. Can’t guarantee I’ll answer.”

I followed him. “What are those messages you send out every year?”

“I won’t answer that,” he said.

“Fine then. Why do you send them that way? Why not just post them?”

He glared at me. “I’d need ter know the address if I wer gonna post ‘em, wouldn’t I?”

“Okay.” I thought for a moment. “So you don’t know the address. Can’t you look it up
somehow?”

Now he looked away again. “It’s a mite more complicated ‘an that.”

“Do they reach the person they’re for?”

This question stopped him in his tracks. He turned to look me straight in the eye, and for the first
time I wasn’t frightened of his gaze. “I don’t know. There’s a chance I’ll never know. But I ‘ave
faith that one day, one of them will reach its destination.”

“I’m sorry,” I said, “but I don’t understand. Why would you keep doing this, year after year, when
you don’t even know if it’s working?”

“Because,” and now was the first time I ever saw my neighbor smile, “if even one of ‘em makes
it through, after all these years, that’d make every single wasted letter worthwhile.” I stood in
silence, thinking about what I’d just heard, as my neighbor opened the door to his house and
disappeared inside, saying, “Good day, lad. Happy Christmas,” as he closed the door behind
him.

My day wasn’t over, though. I’d had an idea. Some of the messages definitely hadn’t reached
their intended recipient, but I realized that, given another chance, they still might. I hurried to my
friend’s house and asked him for the messages he had. In order to obtain them, I traded him the
gold coin, which I’d been keeping for the past year without any idea what to do with it. Holding
the four bottles, I ran awkwardly down to the beach, nearly dropping one of them every other
step I took.

Then I tossed them one at a time into the sea, paraphrasing my neighbor’s words to me:

“If even one of you makes it through, then all the rest will have been worthwhile. Godspeed.”
Mr. Administrator

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:50 pm

It was touching.
We're bastards. :(
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby narrativedilettante on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Well, I... guess it was worth it staying up late last night to get this finished.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Scarab on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:25 pm

Dryunya wrote:It was touching.
We're bastards. :(

No. We're not.
We're many things, some of them questionable, but this is clearly the most realistic of all the possible fics, ergo it was the final one chosen.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:51 pm

I don't blame that particular fic. But he really misses his friend, doesn't he. I know there was no other option (under my assumption, anyway), but it just feel wrong. :(
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Blurred_9L on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:36 pm

This is so good, Narra. Good job as always :)
Actually, I can't help but feel a little sad for him... :S
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Return to [REFIC'D] Gulliver & Long John Silver