LJS Riddle

"There's never a man looked me between the eyes and seen a good day a'terward."

"Every man desires to live long, but no man wishes to be old.”

[Gulliver refictionalized 27 Nov 2012]
[LJS refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

LJS Riddle

Postby Dryunya on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:50 pm

This thread is to discuss the riddles Cheshire Cat bestows upon us.
The latest is the Neptune one.
AVeryMadCat wrote:six little fishies swimming under the sea,
but one holds a message to a character's key.
Find the one who swims towards a plaque,
and find the name of a fictite to whome you give back


Let's get cracking.

Info:
The statue coordinates: 36.859672,-75.977283
The fish we're interested in
The plaque
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
User avatar
Dryunya
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:23 am

Re: Riddles

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:54 pm

Pretty good picture of the fish near the plaque:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/2847489910/lightbox/

But I can't see any obvious answer to the puzzle.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
User avatar
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:07 am

Re: Riddles

Postby Flitterbie on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:55 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:Pretty good picture of the fish near the plaque:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/2847489910/lightbox/

But I can't see any obvious answer to the puzzle.


The clue could've been added recently, for all we know.

EDIT: Also, just to clarify, 'fictite' does mean fictional character, right?
User avatar
Flitterbie
 
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Re: Riddles

Postby IslaKariese on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:56 pm

I kinda wanna say King Triton, but that's just me.
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
User avatar
IslaKariese
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Maryland/Virginia

Re: Riddles

Postby Flitterbie on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:57 pm

IslaKariese wrote:I kinda wanna say King Triton, but that's just me.


Except Triton was Neptune's son. Also, I don't see how 'to whome you give back' would apply to him.
User avatar
Flitterbie
 
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Re: Riddles

Postby Dryunya on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:57 pm

Flitterbie wrote:The clue could've been added recently, for all we know.
EDIT: Also, just to clarify, 'fictite' does mean fictional character, right?

I think it does.
About the recent clue... It's possible, but, considering the tropers' geographical distribution, it could be somewhat risky. Maybe there are no tropers around.
But, well, if anyone can get there, it never hurts to try.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
User avatar
Dryunya
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:23 am

Re: Riddles

Postby Flitterbie on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:58 pm

Dryunya wrote:
Flitterbie wrote:The clue could've been added recently, for all we know.
EDIT: Also, just to clarify, 'fictite' does mean fictional character, right?

I think it does.
About the recent clue... It's possible, but, considering the tropers' geographical distribution, it could be somewhat risky. Maybe there are no tropers around.
But, well, if anyone can get there, it never hurts to try.


Generally speaking, I'd feel like there has to be someone in that general area. At least, I hope so. I'm sure it'll work out either way.
User avatar
Flitterbie
 
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Re: Riddles

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Has anyone tried using a photo tool such as Paint to create a straight line that extrapolates the path of the fish so we know precisely where it is swimming? That could be important.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
User avatar
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:07 pm

Re: Riddles

Postby Flitterbie on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:01 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Has anyone tried using a photo tool such as Paint to create a straight line that extrapolates the path of the fish so we know precisely where it is swimming? That could be important.


It's swimming towards the plaque. If I'm right, it should pass through the name on the right, but again, I don't think that anything besides the fish itself is important.
User avatar
Flitterbie
 
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Re: Riddles

Postby Chief Wakamakamu on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:03 pm

I'm thinking it may be wise for us to try to reach out to people who -could- get there. Maybe a post on TVtropes or facebook is warranted... they could relay back to us what they find.
User avatar
Chief Wakamakamu
Meta-Knight
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Riddles

Postby Flitterbie on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:04 pm

Chief Wakamakamu wrote:I'm thinking it may be wise for us to try to reach out to people who -could- get there. Maybe a post on TVtropes or facebook is warranted... they could relay back to us what they find.


Yeah, this seems like the best option at this point. We need someone either near Virginia Beach, or crazy/bored enough to take the time to get out there and check this out.
User avatar
Flitterbie
 
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Re: Riddles

Postby Dryunya on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Has anyone tried using a photo tool such as Paint to create a straight line that extrapolates the path of the fish so we know precisely where it is swimming? That could be important.

I've just tried. The line is almost identical to the plaque's diagonal. The only name it goes through is "Princess Anne", but, as far as Google knows, it's a real person.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
User avatar
Dryunya
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:23 am

Re: Riddles

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Flitterbie wrote:Yeah, this seems like the best option at this point. We need someone either near Virginia Beach, or crazy/bored enough to take the time to get out there and check this out.


I can't believe that they would make the ARG hinge on this. There has to be something we are overlooking. Unfortunately, Sherlock's recent post in now occupying all of my attention, so you guys are on your own.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
User avatar
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:07 pm

Re: Riddles

Postby NeverSlender on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Dryunya wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:Has anyone tried using a photo tool such as Paint to create a straight line that extrapolates the path of the fish so we know precisely where it is swimming? That could be important.

I've just tried. The line is almost identical to the plaque's diagonal. The only name it goes through is "Princess Anne", but, as far as Google knows, it's a real person.


Princess Anne is a living member of the British royal family. And there are too many fictional princesses to go through.
Marching on together.
User avatar
NeverSlender
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:30 am
Location: Yorkshire, England

Re: Riddles

Postby Flitterbie on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:11 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
Flitterbie wrote:Yeah, this seems like the best option at this point. We need someone either near Virginia Beach, or crazy/bored enough to take the time to get out there and check this out.


I can't believe that they would make the ARG hinge on this. There has to be something we are overlooking. Unfortunately, Sherlock's recent post in now occupying all of my attention, so you guys are on your own.


I'm sure there's some sort of contingency in place if absolutely NO ONE can get there, but I think they'll wait it out for now.
User avatar
Flitterbie
 
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Re: Riddles

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:13 pm

I'm pretty sure there's a way to figure this out without physically visiting the statue. I just don't know what that is.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
User avatar
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:07 am

Re: Riddles

Postby Victin on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:00 pm

So, how is it going?
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
User avatar
Victin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:17 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: Riddles

Postby Flitterbie on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:16 pm

We need someone to go to Virginia.
User avatar
Flitterbie
 
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Re: Riddles

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:22 pm

Flitterbie wrote:We need someone to go to Virginia.


I highly doubt that.

narrativedilettante wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a way to figure this out without physically visiting the statue. I just don't know what that is.


This.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
User avatar
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:07 pm

Re: Riddles

Postby Victin on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:25 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
Flitterbie wrote:We need someone to go to Virginia.


I highly doubt that.

narrativedilettante wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a way to figure this out without physically visiting the statue. I just don't know what that is.


This.

Okay, so, what do we know about the fishes at the statue, or the statue at all, for that matter?
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
User avatar
Victin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:17 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: Riddles

Postby Flitterbie on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:29 pm

Victin wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:
Flitterbie wrote:We need someone to go to Virginia.


I highly doubt that.

narrativedilettante wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a way to figure this out without physically visiting the statue. I just don't know what that is.


This.

Okay, so, what do we know about the fishes at the statue, or the statue at all, for that matter?


I'm pretty sure everything we currently know concerning the statue is on the plaque, which, unless I'm sorely mistaken, fails to mention any fictional characters.

Edit: Besides, you know, Neptune, who doesn't seem to fit the riddle.
User avatar
Flitterbie
 
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Re: Riddles

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:31 pm

Victin wrote:Okay, so, what do we know about the fishes at the statue, or the statue at all, for that matter?


Well, we know the precise location, for one, and from the message on the plaque (The image I found is linked in Dryu's OP) it seems to be set up to commemorate the people named on it. The fish that we are interested in is swimming towards the plaque, and, well... that's about all we know. It's kinda got us stumped.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
User avatar
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:07 pm

Re: Riddles

Postby Victin on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:37 pm

What about that music the cat posted before the riddle? What was it?
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
User avatar
Victin
 
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:17 pm
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Re: Riddles

Postby Mr. Administrator on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:38 pm

GIVEN THAT THE FICTIONALS' PRESENCE IN THIS WORLD DOES NOT END WITH THE INTERNET, SKILLS LIKE "WALKING" AND "REACHING OUT TO PEOPLE WITHIN REASONABLE DISTANCES OF A TARGET, WHO CAN THEN WALK" MAY SOMETIMES BE NECESSARY IN ORDER TO INVESTIGATE DEVELOPMENTS. OUR HUNCH IS THAT THIS IS ONE OF THOSE DEVELOPMENTS.

MUCH CAN BE DONE FROM THE COMFORT OF YOUR HOME. BUT NOT EVERYTHING.
User avatar
Mr. Administrator
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:28 pm

Re: Riddles

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Mr. Administrator wrote:GIVEN THAT THE FICTIONALS' PRESENCE IN THIS WORLD DOES NOT END WITH THE INTERNET, SKILLS LIKE "WALKING" AND "REACHING OUT TO PEOPLE WITHIN REASONABLE DISTANCES OF A TARGET, WHO CAN THEN WALK" MAY SOMETIMES BE NECESSARY IN ORDER TO INVESTIGATE DEVELOPMENTS. OUR HUNCH IS THAT THIS IS ONE OF THOSE DEVELOPMENTS.

MUCH CAN BE DONE FROM THE COMFORT OF YOUR HOME. BUT NOT EVERYTHING.


Heresy! The internet is everything! Walking has no purpose to a hikikomori!

In all seriousness... just bloody great. Well, someone should probably get on that. I'm certainly not in the line up. Half a continent is a tad too far even if I felt like going outdoors.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
User avatar
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:07 pm

Next

Return to [REFIC'D] Gulliver & Long John Silver

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron