Main discussion thread

“My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite.”

[Refictionalized 10 Dec 2012]

Re: Main discussion thread

Postby Adell on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:09 pm

Dryunya wrote:Guys... Didn't that Sound Like A Good Idea At The Time? :?
Also, it was totally my suggestion. I only didn't post it because it was Out Of Character for my chatspeak-persona.

Won't that actually make him more open to discussion, if we think about it? It puts him on the same terms as us, and, well, now it's our Troper knowledge against his. Now we can apply trope logic in his arguments. I think that's awesome. :gurt:

Also, Adell, for some reason your new avatar gives off a similar vibe. :|

Kind of the intention, is that a problem? Also stay on topic.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Dryunya on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:10 pm

Oh, I forgot what I actually wanted to say before that. He mentions that he doesn't want Juliet to die, AGAIN. I know he'll say "we're friends" and stuff if we ask him, but I think we should totally push this line and make him admit that he cares about her. If I'm in any way Genre Savvy, he'll make up his mind Just In Time.
Unless Reality Ensues, in which case we're all screwed. I hate it when it happens. Reality sucks.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby ToMorning on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:47 pm

I think we might be thinking about this the wrong way. Romeo had that link for ages - since before even the Vanessa thing happened. So when exactly did he find out about his and Juliet's page?
ToMorning

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:56 pm

It's not the tvtropes link that told him about his story. I think he got that from a fairly recent comment on Juliet's blog.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:09 am

ToMorning wrote:I think we might be thinking about this the wrong way. Romeo had that link for ages - since before even the Vanessa thing happened. So when exactly did he find out about his and Juliet's page?

That's probably when he saw it. That's probably WHY the Vanessa thing happened. He knew that if him and Juliet stayed together and were returned, then the story repeats itself. If he can do something stupid and split them up, then the tragic ending can never happen. Kind of a genius plan if that's the case. I'm not willing to give him THAT much credit though. But who knows?

In either case, we could definitely use this information for our advantage. We now know that we can alter their stories, and are in fact encouraged to write them happy endings. We should just tell Romeo this and, VOILA! Problem solved! Though there's no way it can be that easy, but we could at least try.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 am

Well... looks like we poked him enough to get confirmation of the I Want My Beloved To Be Happy (and alive) theory.

Edit: NEW PLAN, spawned in the chatroom.
And I'm going to throw all caution to the wind and repeat it here, because... it's super complicated, and I don't want to have to type out the whole thing a million times in private chats.

This plan involves a 3-pronged attack.
  1. Sicon (or someone, but Si's been giving him fairly regular updates) tells Romeo some more about our refictionalization stuff, and without actually lying fails to clarify that we can totally change (or leave open) their endings.
  2. I continue building up Romeo's trust with my comments.
  3. Others (people who post a lot for her, I guess) poke Juliet VERY GENTLY AND GRADUALLY to get her to admit that she still has feelings for Romeo (this should be dragged out for as long as possible, so as not to rush the plan)
  4. Once we're nearing the end (i.e., maybe have another echo for them?), Sicon clarifies to Romeo that their ending will NOT be a problem.
  5. At the very last minute, I tell Romeo that I just found out that Juliet still loves him and wants to be with him, backing this up with the information that step 3 has produced on her blog.
  6. If necessary, as many people as he'd actually trust chime in, encouraging him to go for it and chase after her before it's too late.
  7. Last-Minute Hookup ensues, and Romeo and Juliet will be successfully refic'd.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:56 am

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:
ToMorning wrote:Romeo had that link for ages - since before even the Vanessa thing happened.

That's probably WHY the Vanessa thing happened. He knew that if him and Juliet stayed together and were returned, then the story repeats itself. If he can do something stupid and split them up, then the tragic ending can never happen.

My exact thought when I was reading the chat logs. ;) If that's the case, our task becomes even easier, because there will be no need to make him choose between Juliet and Vanessa.

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Others (people who post a lot for her, I guess) poke Juliet VERY GENTLY AND GRADUALLY to get her to admit that she still has feelings for Romeo (this should be dragged out for as long as possible, so as not to rush the plan)

I have no idea how it's done, but I can take this role because my inner shipper demands. :)
...oh wait. I'll be leaving for several days soon. I guess I can't. :(
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:58 am

Dryunya wrote:...oh wait. I'll be leaving for several days soon. I guess I can't. :(

It should still be waiting when you come back. The Juliet part of the plan is NOT a priority atm, and it shouldn't start too early or go too fast.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:37 am

I like this plan. How can I help?
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Victin on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:21 am

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:I like this plan. How can I help?

Me too. Say and I wil do it.
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby H22 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:44 am

So, someone called 'Ariadne' has been posting... distinctly unhelpfully on Romeo's blog. E.g. 'most selfish fool', 'you will all die', &c. She's probably just a troll, but if she isn't, we might have GMs and Broken Bases before long.... On a separate note, it continues with the classical theme of Julius, Nero et al. I won't over-interpret this (hell, it might just be her name) but they might be trying to make a reference there. Jester, do you know our Minotaur-vanquishing friend?
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:50 am

First of all, I'd like to apologize for my latest comment on his blog, even though I felt we were on the same page with telling Romeo about how we can change his story, since right after I suggested it on this thread, Qara posted a slightly more complicated plan that basically started with my own plan, but apparently my interpretation of the plan was not correct.

I'd also like to say that I don't entirely agree with this plan. For one, it's somewhat risky. Waiting for the last minute to enact a very crucial part of the plan doesn't make sense to me. Also, I don't feel comfortable playing matchmaker and toying with these kid's emotions. I feel like the best course of action is giving the both of them the best information we have available, and then letting them decide for themselves what the best decision is. That's what I've done for Romeo.

I honestly don't think that my one comment alone is enough to convince him to dump Vanessa and go straight back to Juliet. But maybe the information I've given him may be enough to convince him to make the smart decision when the time calls for it. Otherwise, he may continue to stubbornly fight us when he has no real reason to. I don't see what I did was so bad. And I don't know what I was supposed to say and what I wasn't supposed to say. But I do not regret what I did, but I do apologize if it feels like I was stepping on anybody's toes. I honestly thought that what I did was what you were all planning anyway.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:53 am

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:First of all, I'd like to apologize for my latest comment on his blog, even though I felt we were on the same page with telling Romeo about how we can change his story, since right after I suggested it on this thread, Qara posted a slightly more complicated plan that basically started with my own plan, but apparently my interpretation of the plan was not correct.

I'd also like to say that I don't entirely agree with this plan. For one, it's somewhat risky. Waiting for the last minute to enact a very crucial part of the plan doesn't make sense to me. Also, I don't feel comfortable playing matchmaker and toying with these kid's emotions. I feel like the best course of action is giving the both of them the best information we have available, and then letting them decide for themselves what the best decision is. That's what I've done for Romeo.

I honestly don't think that my one comment alone is enough to convince him to dump Vanessa and go straight back to Juliet. But maybe the information I've given him may be enough to convince him to make the smart decision when the time calls for it. Otherwise, he may continue to stubbornly fight us when he has no real reason to. I don't see what I did was so bad. And I don't know what I was supposed to say and what I wasn't supposed to say. But I do not regret what I did, but I do apologize if it feels like I was stepping on anybody's toes. I honestly thought that what I did was what you were all planning anyway.

Not a big deal Wacky. I'm just winging things here. Since you commented, I just rolled with it. The idea behind the last moment plan, I believe, was to use tropes and story conventions for our own gain. I suspect it will be what happens anyhow. I'll be working towards it anyway regardless, or at least not trying to stop it.

We will just all keep working towards the goal we all share. No need to make a big deal over this for now.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:31 pm

No harm done, really. The Last Minute Hookup would only give us bonsus trope points, but other than that, we might as well act now.
Also, I don't really like how our plan sounds like "toying with emotions". I have a pretty vague idea of others' emotions anyway. :? But I think it's not toying if they do love each other still (and if our theory that Vanessa is just an excuse to leave Juliet is correct, Bromeo does). So we need to make Bromeo make a move. Or make Juliet realize that she still loves him. With elephants.
Dryunya

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:00 pm

Still, I would like an assignment. I feel as though I've contributed little to this ARG, and I'd like to be of some use.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:13 pm

People who want direction in the R&J plan--
the most useful thing would be to ask Juliet VERY SUBTLY at first, and remember to let this plan go as SLOW AS POSSIBLE, but to try to prompt her to state her true feelings about Romeo.
Thanks.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Can I have a different task? I'm not exactly... subtle.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Then wait for her to prove unresponsive to someone else's prompting, then jump in to be more blatant if she needs it! Everybody wins!

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm on it.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Victin on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:I'm on it.

Me too
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:42 pm

EDIT2: Never mind, Julius is Jester being himself. We still need to counteract him, though.

Guys... Have you seen the latest comments?
This one comes from Julius.

...Apparently, we now know those donkeyholes' identities. (Spoiler: Cabal)
If you get any confirmation, update the timeline with it. I won't be around.

EDIT: Julius is trying to convince Juliet, too. If we are going to act, we should do it now.
Also, it seems like the Cabal has embraced the term "Metaguards". That's nice. :gurt:
Dryunya

Postby TheJester on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:36 pm

Edited for being a stupid post...
TheJester

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:25 am

TheJester wrote:Edited for being a stupid post...

Jester, I gotta give you a little info real fast that I don't think anyone has mentioned to you. It may clear up a few things. I sent you a PM in the chatbox.

No, this isn't some secret plan, I'm just gonna get Jester up-to-date so he doesn't do stuff like this again... I hope.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:17 am

Romeo and Juliet front is now stable. Jester will be aiding me with damage control in the morning.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dryunya on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:39 am

WMG: The PM contained Jester's physical address and a link about medieval torture techniques. :gurt:
Dryunya

PreviousNext

Return to [REFIC'D] Romeo & Juliet