Be Careful, Guys

“My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite.”

[Refictionalized 10 Dec 2012]

Be Careful, Guys

Postby OutPaced on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:05 am

Hey, people. New metaguard here. I got caught up on the Timeline and now I'm just trying to do what I can to help. Just wanted to address something I noticed on our <sarcasm> favorite </sarcasm> post by the world's fastest puppy-eyed loverboy.

http://romeo.ezblog.twwf.info/?p=40
Amid the constant berating of Romeo's shortsightedness on his "To Vanessa" post, we made a few meta comments to him, and he noticed. Yankee White mentioned Shakespeare, though I feel that comment was intentional. Romeo, of course, didn't know who he was. Then, Roy Hankins/Har D Har Koopa mentioned something about Romeo's "better life expectancy here in our world". He also immediately reacted to that. Probably not a good sign.

Maybe it would be better to avoid letting the fictionals in on how much we know of their lives? This goes double for Romeo, who is already frustrating our efforts as it is. If he finds out what we know, he'll get downright antagonistic, and we might be looking at a good ol' fashioned Face Heel Turn.

Tl;dr- watch what you say on the character pages. They don't know all of their stories or who created them. It's probably best to keep it that way.
OutPaced

Re: Be Careful, Guys

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:08 am

OutPaced wrote:Hey, people. New metaguard here. I got caught up on the Timeline and now I'm just trying to do what I can to help. Just wanted to address something I noticed on our <sarcasm> favorite </sarcasm> post by the world's fastest puppy-eyed loverboy.

Amid the constant berating of Romeo's shortsightedness on his "To Vanessa" post, we made a few meta comments to him, and he noticed. Yankee White mentioned Shakespeare, though I feel that comment was intentional. Romeo, of course, didn't know who he was. Then, Roy Hankins/Har D Har Koopa mentioned something about Romeo's "better life expectancy here in our world". He also immediately reacted to that. Probably not a good sign.

Maybe it would be better to avoid letting the fictionals in on how much we know of their lives? This goes double for Romeo, who is already frustrating our efforts as it is. If he finds out what we know, he'll get downright antagonistic, and we might be looking at a good ol' fashioned Face Heel Turn.

Tl;dr- watch what you say on the character pages. They don't know all of their stories or who created them. It's probably best to keep it that way.

A good point, but we have been pretty careful about this so far. Holmes and Poirot are aware of their stories already, and even if they were not we would have made them aware because they are far more useful that way. In this case, it is more expedient for them to know they come from another world, but not necessarily any more than that. If he does find out, I'd be interested to see his reaction, but I think we ought to be able to handle it at the moment.

Basically, we calculate how much we should tell them to make them most useful and then run with that.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby OutPaced on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:19 am

Sicon112 wrote:
OutPaced wrote:Hey, people. New metaguard here. I got caught up on the Timeline and now I'm just trying to do what I can to help. Just wanted to address something I noticed on our <sarcasm> favorite </sarcasm> post by the world's fastest puppy-eyed loverboy.

A good point, but we have been pretty careful about this so far. Holmes and Poirot are aware of their stories already, and even if they were not we would have made them aware because they are far more useful that way. In this case, it is more expedient for them to know they come from another world, but not necessarily any more than that. If he does find out, I'd be interested to see his reaction, but I think we ought to be able to handle it at the moment.

Basically, we calculate how much we should tell them to make them most useful and then run with that.

So... we wing it?

...works for me.
OutPaced

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:22 am

OutPaced wrote:So... we wing it?

...works for me.

More or less. Just make sure to say something here before you post something that could mess up stuff. We usually have a few gambits going on, especially me, so it's better if we know what you are gonna do before you just go ahead and do it. Make all your errors lean toward the side of caution and we are probably gonna be OK.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:28 am

Basically, we try to agree upon a strategy on the forums before posting anything on the blogs. We try our best to work in unison, but we can't control what other people post. But basically, it's good etiquette to discuss what you're about to post if it's something that might cause controversy and then give others the opportunity to tell you whether it's a good or a bad idea. We all almost universally agree that telling them about their deaths is a bad idea. We also don't want to alert them to their fictional nature, mostly because that could lead them to learning about their deaths. Other than that, just use common sense. Don't step on anybody's toes and respect one another. Respecting Romeo is optional.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Scarab on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:43 am

OutPaced wrote:So... we wing it?

...works for me.

Welcome to the forum :D We've been doing that since the start.

Honestly with most characters there's a slow process of revealing going on, with the possible exception of Don Quixote (we don't wanna break the poor guy, he was messed in the head enough as it is, reading or knowing of his own story might really freak him out.)
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby NeverSlender on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:29 am

outpaced wrote:So... We wing it?

Okay, hands up if someone hasn't been doing this throughout?
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Scarab on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:32 am

NeverSlender wrote:
outpaced wrote:So... We wing it?

Okay, hands up if someone hasn't been doing this throughout?

Well I think Sicon may have been planning ahead a little, but he has mentioned that he makes a lot of plans up on the fly too, which he says is the same as having no plans at all.

But asides from that...
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Zup on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:42 am

It's best if we don't scheme, if only because schemers are not trusted. And we want to be trusted.

Unless we can scheme how to be trusted while scheming...
The wall will fall, if they stay; then we'll fight another day.
Never fear, the tropers here will help the written find their way.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby NeverSlender on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:44 am

Zup wrote:It's best if we don't scheme, if only because schemers are not trusted. And we want to be trusted.

Scheming just makes it sound bad. Planning is fine but you have to be adaptable as well.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Zup on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:45 am

I prefer the flexibility of total anarchy.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby NeverSlender on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:47 am

Zup wrote:I prefer the flexibility of total anarchy.

Yeah, but it's difficult to channel anarchy into something useful.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Zup on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:50 am

True enough, I suppose. But it is more fun. :D Just look at the crazy threads in off-topic.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby NeverSlender on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:52 am

Zup wrote:True enough, I suppose. But it is more fun. :D Just look at the crazy threads in off-topic.

I never said we shouldn't USE anarchy. Haven't you seen my quote on the characer page?
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby YankeeWhite on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:07 am

OutPaced wrote:Amid the constant berating of Romeo's shortsightedness on his "To Vanessa" post, we made a few meta comments to him, and he noticed. Yankee White mentioned Shakespeare, though I feel that comment was intentional. Romeo, of course, didn't know who he was.

You thought right. I was intentional. But it also fit perfectly with the romantic advice I gave.
YankeeWhite

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:22 pm

Zup wrote:It's best if we don't scheme, if only because schemers are not trusted. And we want to be trusted.

Welcome to my world.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby IslaKariese on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Sicon112 wrote:

Welcome to my world.

Yeah, that thought process is practically his character quote. It's what he's best at.
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Zup on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:13 pm

IslaKariese wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:

Welcome to my world.

Yeah, that thought process is practically his character quote. It's what he's best at.

That's almost as bad as I Know You Know I Know.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby Pixelmage on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:57 pm

Zup wrote:
IslaKariese wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:Welcome to my world.

That's almost as bad as I Know You Know I Know.

That one is also as staple of Sicon's thought process.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby TheJester on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:23 pm

Yes, I Must Say A Lot Of This Is Getting Complicated. Especially Since Romeo Has Been Told Everything Now.
TheJester

Postby Pixelmage on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:33 pm

TheJester wrote:Yes, I Must Say A Lot Of This Is Getting Complicated. Especially Since Romeo Has Been Told Everything Now.

He ignored everything he's been told so far... Honestly, I don't think he'd actually listen even if you gave him a flat: "You'll commit suicide soon after going back to Verona." (Don't send him that! I'm just snarking randomly here.)
Pixelmage

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:35 pm

Pixelmage wrote:
TheJester wrote:Yes, I Must Say A Lot Of This Is Getting Complicated. Especially Since Romeo Has Been Told Everything Now.

He ignored everything he's been told so far... Honestly, I don't think he'd actually listen even if you gave him a flat: "You'll commit suicide soon after going back to Verona." (Don't send him that! I'm just snarking randomly here.)

I wouldn't be too concerned about spoilers by this point, actually. He's already altered his continuity. Even if he were to return, he may return to a different story, or alter his story to end differently. If he isn't in love with Juliet when he returns, I don't see how his story will continue down the same path.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Pixelmage on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:38 pm

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:I wouldn't be too concerned about spoilers by this point, actually. He's already altered his continuity. Even if he were to return, he may return to a different story, or alter his story to end differently. If he isn't in love with Juliet when he returns, I don't see how his story will continue down the same path.

Yeah, that's the reason I don't think he'd care about us saying that... It's just that I don't really want to push these buttons. It would be an exercise in futility anyway.
Pixelmage

Postby TheJester on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:46 pm

I Can't Help But Feel Juliet Is Being Overly Demanding Y'know?
TheJester

Postby IslaKariese on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:02 pm

TheJester wrote:I Can't Help But Feel Juliet Is Being Overly Demanding Y'know?

Why do you say that?
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Next

Return to [REFIC'D] Romeo & Juliet