Analyzing the voice mail

"If you leave us in peace, we will do you no harm. If you wish to join us, we will set a chair at our table and work to our mutual benefit. If you work against us, we will have no choice but to retaliate."

[RIP Morgan, Erik, and Juan 26 Dec 2012]
[Moriarty refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Analyzing the voice mail

Postby Dryunya on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:05 pm

Joe said that. Mr. A said that. We can take a hint, amirite?
Our goal is to find hints in the voice mail. To be honest, it's the last place I'd look for embedded clues (but I'll check tomorrow local evening anyway), so we should try... what? :? Some people mentioned the accents. I'm afraid I'm of no help with that. Anything else?

Your move, hivemind. :gurt:
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Re: Analyzing the voice mail

Postby NeverSlender on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:07 pm

I suggested one if the accents sounded Dutch, but people disagreed. If one of them IS Dutch then, well, we have a suspect who flew to America recently.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby RotavatoR on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:16 pm

The fifth voicemail is of a man who talks about children "being at the wrong place at the wrong time".
One of Joe's videos had a creepy guy who was thought to be from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gashlycrumb_Tinies.
This book is about children dying.
RotavatoR

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:17 pm

RotavatoR wrote:The fifth voicemail is of a man who talks about children "being at the wrong place at the wrong time".
One of Joe's videos had a creepy guy who was thought to be from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gashlycrumb_Tinies.
This book is about children dying.

The wrong place, wrong time is the sixth, and there is no mention of children.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby RotavatoR on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Ok, here is another thought: Message 5 comments on the appearance of the therapist. She is the only character in the ARG who has a picture of herself on her twitter. The person from message 5 may follow her on twitter.
RotavatoR

Postby IslaKariese on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:19 pm

RotavatoR wrote:Ok, here is another thought: Message 5 comments on the appearance of the therapist. She is the only character in the ARG who has a picture of herself on her twitter. The person from message 5 may follow her on twitter.

Perhaps. I heard someone here say that it sounded more like a poem...
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:21 pm

RotavatoR wrote:Ok, here is another thought: Message 5 comments on the appearance of the therapist. She is the only character in the ARG who has a picture of herself on her twitter. The person from message 5 may follow her on twitter.

Weird follower:
https://twitter.com/ROG_SOS19
Known Player?
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby IslaKariese on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Pixelmage wrote:Weird follower:
Known Player?

No clue. I've asked, but I'm not honestly expecting a response.
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby Adell on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:28 pm

Seems a little convenient, if you ask me. It was made too late, too. The calls were made earlier than the account.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby NeverSlender on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:30 pm

You don't need a twitter account to view someones twitter. Anyone in the world can see her picture.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Dryunya on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Pixelmage wrote:Weird follower:
Known Player?

That Roland wannabe is clearly a fake. =/
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Adell wrote:Seems a little convenient, if you ask me. It was made too late, too. The calls were made earlier than the account.

Could still be worth keeping an eye on, though. Maybe he just only got round to making an account...
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Adell on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Scarab wrote:
Adell wrote:Seems a little convenient, if you ask me. It was made too late, too. The calls were made earlier than the account.

Could still be worth keeping an eye on, though. Maybe he just only got round to making an account...

Almost every other character before has not immediately tried contacting other characters, that's another thing that just makes it seem like a pretender.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Re: Analyzing (breakthrough!)

Postby RotavatoR on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:03 am

Guys.

Message 5 had someone refer to sculpting.
Cheshire Cat has tweeted about someone called Pygmalion.
He is a sculptor.
RotavatoR

Postby Dryunya on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:12 am

Um, I think Pygmalion would be way-way too obvious now. There should be other bad, scary sculptors!
Dryunya

Postby RotavatoR on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:42 am

Dryunya wrote:Um, I think Pygmalion would be way-way too obvious now. There should be other bad, scary sculptors!

But he is the only sculptor mentioned by Cheshire. This is a connection between Cheshire's tweet and one of the voice mails.

What do you guys think?
RotavatoR

Postby Victin on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:45 am

I think that Tara may be the sculpture. Ok, it's just some random thought.
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby RotavatoR on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:52 am

Victin wrote:I think that Tara may be the sculpture. Ok, it's just some random thought.

Nono, you may be right, even though it's on Joan's voicemail :)
How'd you come up with that? And what do you think of my theory?
RotavatoR

Postby Dryunya on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:53 am

Um... I've searched google for Pygmalion's blog, and twitter for himself... No, I'm sorry, I didn't find anything.
Dryunya

Postby RotavatoR on Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:57 am

Dryunya wrote:Um... I've searched google for Pygmalion's blog, and twitter for himself... No, I'm sorry, I didn't find anything.

That's okay Shyu, his blog is probably a little bit harder to find... I don't think just searching for it like that will help. We need to find it with clues.
Of course, maybe he doesn't even have a blog. He's probably one of the bad guys, I imagine he would not want to reveal that much on a blog.
RotavatoR

Postby Victin on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:02 am

RotavatoR wrote:
Victin wrote:I think that Tara may be the sculpture. Ok, it's just some random thought.

Nono, you may be right, even though it's on Joan's voicemail :)
How'd you come up with that? And what do you think of my theory?

Well, I was thinking how I heard once the story of the Pygmalion and I saw someone comment on it with 'model' or something, so I just realized that Tara = Sculpture and Sculptor = Trypki or something like that.
Also, what theory, I just caught up and I saw a lot of stuff, so there are many theories about a bunch of stuff in my head.
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:26 am

So Tara is beautiful, as though sculpted. We've heard mention of Pygmalion, where a sculptor's creation came to life. The Cat hinted that there's a theory we're all assuming is true without confirmation.

We've been operating under the assumption that the therapist is a real person, but what if she's not? She could either be a literal sculpture, or just an obscure character brought to life.

(I also think the Pygmalion comments from the Cat might be in reference to our metaverse model, which we've been taking pretty seriously even though it's mostly speculation on our parts. But that's a discussion for another thread.)
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby RotavatoR on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:06 am

Victin wrote:Well, I was thinking how I heard once the story of the Pygmalion and I saw someone comment on it with 'model' or something, so I just realized that Tara = Sculpture and Sculptor = Trypki or something like that.

But if message 5 is all about Tripky and Tara, then why is it on Joan's voicemail? I am certain that the message itself is just a threat towards Joan, just like most of the other messages.

Victin wrote:Also, what theory, I just caught up and I saw a lot of stuff, so there are many theories about a bunch of stuff in my head.

My theory is as follows.
The person from message 5 says: "As though sculpted." I think that sentence is a hint to the identity of that person.
Why? Because on his twitter, Cheshire Cat has referenced Pygmalion, a person from Greek mythology, and a sculptor.
This would mean that Joe and Mr A were right in pointing us to the voicemail to look for clues about the identity of the callers.

narrativedilettante wrote:We've been operating under the assumption that the therapist is a real person, but what if she's not? She could either be a literal sculpture, or just an obscure character brought to life.

You say that we may have been operating under false assumption, but here

narrativedilettante wrote:So Tara is beautiful, as though sculpted. We've heard mention of Pygmalion, where a sculptor's creation came to life. The Cat hinted that there's a theory we're all assuming is true without confirmation.

You do the very same. We are not sure if the caller is referencing to Tara. That is just your assumption, and I think it is a false one.
RotavatoR

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Not sure if this helps, guys, but in my desperation to figure something out I google-fu'd Pygmalion and found the following right here on some random website.

The Pygmalion effect is also known as the Rosenthal effect and self-fulfilling prophecy..... A person expected to perform well will achieve or exceed this expectation, according to the Pygmalion effect, but a person expected to underachieve or perform poorly will also fulfill this expectation.

The term "Pygmalion effect" comes from a Greek myth. According to the myth, Pygmalion was a prince of Cyprus and a sculptor who created and fell in love with an ivory statue of his ideal woman. He pleaded with the goddess Venus to give life to his creation, and she obliged. Pygmalion married his creation and they had a perfect life together. He had expected the statue to be the perfect woman, and she fulfilled his expectations when she was brought to life.

Okay are we fairly sure that this voice message is directed at Joan and NOT atr Tara? I mean, how exactly could a mistake have occured in which a person trying to threaten Tara mighty accidentally get Joan? (It really isn't in the tone of the theats Tara recieved before, so I don't think it was ever meant for Tara...)

I also found that Pygmalion was the origins story that inspired the creation of the stage show My Fair Lady (in fact it's pretty much the same story, they just changed the name). Is it possible this refers to somebody else, and we have an Eliza Doolittle running around? Does the therapist have anymore patients?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby AceOfSpades on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:43 pm

There is also the possibility that message 5 might be another serial killer, whenever a killer mentions a woman being like a work of art. (In this case sculpting.) It means they plan to "Correct" That art. In other words, cut her up until she is "perfect."
An Ace is the difference between a good hand and a bust.
AceOfSpades

Next

Return to The Cabal