Analyzing the voice mail

"If you leave us in peace, we will do you no harm. If you wish to join us, we will set a chair at our table and work to our mutual benefit. If you work against us, we will have no choice but to retaliate."

[RIP Morgan, Erik, and Juan 26 Dec 2012]
[Moriarty refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Re: Analyzing the voice mail

Postby Seer of the Night on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:41 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:There is also the possibility that message 5 might be another serial killer, whenever a killer mentions a woman being like a work of art. (In this case sculpting.) It means they plan to "Correct" That art. In other words, cut her up until she is "perfect."

is it at all posible that Jack the Ripper came through?
that does kinda sound like his thing...
Seer of the Night

Postby Victin on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Seer of the Night wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:There is also the possibility that message 5 might be another serial killer, whenever a killer mentions a woman being like a work of art. (In this case sculpting.) It means they plan to "Correct" That art. In other words, cut her up until she is "perfect."

No, Jack the Ripper is real. But another assassin may have passed (asides from Sweeney Todd).
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:01 pm

Victin wrote:
Seer of the Night wrote:

No, Jack the Ripper is real. But another assassin may have passed (asides from Sweeney Todd).

But Jack the Ripper has surely been portrayed in fiction. There's no reason why fictionalized versions of actual people can't pass through.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:07 pm

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:
But Jack the Ripper has surely been portrayed in fiction. There's no reason why fictionalized versions of actual people can't pass through.

Yes, I'm sure I've heard at least one audio story of him... But he would be the first of them to have a real world origin that we know of.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Zup on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:09 pm

Scarab wrote:
WackyMeetsPractical wrote:

Yes, I'm sure I've heard at least one audio story of him... But he would be the first of them to have a real world origin that we know of.

Technically, Sweeney Todd may have had a historical basis, but that would definitely be the very first true historical personage to come through. Personally, I doubt its him/her/it.
The wall will fall, if they stay; then we'll fight another day.
Never fear, the tropers here will help the written find their way.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:48 pm

Though there is some historical evidence for the existence of Sweeney Todd, he's most well known through fiction. I doubt Jack the Ripper would come through, because though he has certainly been portrayed in fiction, he's most well known as a historical serial killer.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Tohrinha on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:40 pm

Sweeny Todd mentions the plot of a movie he just saw (namely, the movie the character comes from). We know fictionals can't read the works they come from; but can they read derivative works? If he is a fictional, is it possible that he has seen the movie?
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby NeverSlender on Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:41 pm

Tohrinha wrote:Sweeny Todd mentions the plot of a movie he just saw (namely, the movie the character comes from). We know fictionals can't read the works they come from; but can they read derivative works? If he is a fictional, is it possible that he has seen the movie?

I don't think he actually saw the movie, he was just making an excuse to the therapist.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Guyshane on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:03 pm

NeverSlender wrote:
Tohrinha wrote:Sweeny Todd mentions the plot of a movie he just saw (namely, the movie the character comes from). We know fictionals can't read the works they come from; but can they read derivative works? If he is a fictional, is it possible that he has seen the movie?

I don't think he actually saw the movie, he was just making an excuse to the therapist.

Not necessarily if this is the original penny dreadful Sweeny he could have viewed the movie with Johnny Depp if it is different enough
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby Scarab on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:09 pm

Guyshane wrote:
NeverSlender wrote:

Not necessarily if this is the original penny dreadful Sweeny he could have viewed the movie with Johnny Depp if it is different enough

Well 'how different does something have to be in order for them to be able to percieve it?' is another question we're not too sure ofthe answer for. I suggested R&J watch Westside Story a little earlier, but granted they're probably not going to get round to that now, and we've asked Poirot if he could pick up one of his books, but so far nothing there either.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:42 pm

I suggested that it was probably likely that he figured his life was unusual enough to be a movie plot, and so used the excuse. He DOES come from a world similar to ours, except in the past, therefore he has the same ideas of story and unusual events as we do. I don't think he actually knows that he is fictional, but he might have his suspicions. Otherwise, from what I can tell about his character, he would have probably done something by now.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Wysp on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:28 pm

If possible, could we perhaps get copies of the letters sent to Joe posted here? I think we can match, via wording, which ones were written by which of Joan's callers, which might help.
Wysp

Previous

Return to The Cabal