fictionalthreat

"If you leave us in peace, we will do you no harm. If you wish to join us, we will set a chair at our table and work to our mutual benefit. If you work against us, we will have no choice but to retaliate."

[RIP Morgan, Erik, and Juan 26 Dec 2012]
[Moriarty refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Re: fictionalthreat

Postby NeverSlender on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:52 am

Sicon112 wrote:
NeverSlender wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:Since no one has noticed yet, 714 is an area code for Los Angeles area California.

Ring it then.

Ed said it was out of service.

Gah, I've found a site that can give the numbers address but it's asking for a subscription.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby NeverSlender on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:58 am

Every site I've looked at recquires a subscription. The best I can get is that it's in Santa Ana.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:05 am

NeverSlender wrote:Every site I've looked at recquires a subscription. The best I can get is that it's in Santa Ana.

Well, that in and of itself is good. Who do we know involved with Echo Chamber/Mr. A who lives/lived there once?
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby NeverSlender on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:06 am

Would it not be worth ringing the number, just to be sure?
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:07 am

NeverSlender wrote:Would it not be worth ringing the number, just to be sure?

Not for me right now. I'm in calculus class, so if someone else wants to do it...
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Krika on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:12 am

Just tried it, out of service. So for the moment, no lead there.
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Location: Usually my dorm, with my laptop. Oh, you meant city? Rochester, in the freezing state of New York.

Postby Scarab on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:30 am

Krika wrote:Just tried it, out of service. So for the moment, no lead there.

This is a long shot, but the teacher's site talked about handing out pamphlets... perhaps we could try and get hold of one of those?Any of us in California?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:36 am

Scarab wrote:This is a long shot, but the teacher's site talked about handing out pamphlets... perhaps we could try and get hold of one of those?Any of us in California?

I'm in California. If there's a more specific location, I'd definitely be willing to try to get there. I suspect this might not lead anywhere, though. Still, if there's a way for me to pick up a pamphlet, I'm willing to give it a shot.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:37 am

narrativedilettante wrote:
Scarab wrote:This is a long shot, but the teacher's site talked about handing out pamphlets... perhaps we could try and get hold of one of those?Any of us in California?

I'm in California. If there's a more specific location, I'd definitely be willing to try to get there. I suspect this might not lead anywhere, though. Still, if there's a way for me to pick up a pamphlet, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Never says it seems to be in the Santa Ana area. I do know it's in the 714 area code section of the state, check wikipedia for the info one where that section extends.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Scarab on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:47 am

Okay I wikiwalked a bit, and discovered that the odds are Oberon was inspired by a much earlier character in Norse Mythology. Andvari is an important character in the story of Sigurd the Volsung, you know that one with the goddess who has to be completely covered in gold, and there's a cursed ring invovled and stuff? Well, Andvari is the guy who cursed the ring. According to wikipdia, that ring continually creates more gold for its owner.

Also according to wiki:
The Angelus, in all its stages of development, was closely associated with the ringing of a church bell. The bell is still rung in some English country churches and has often been mistaken for, and alleged to be a remnant of, the curfew bell.

I have NO IDEA if that will be relevant, but just on the off chance...
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:51 am

That area code covers too big a location for me to effectively find anything just using it. In fact, I'm kind of on the edge of the 714 range right now. Unless there's a specific address or other hints, this isn't enough information to be going on. I know people were looking into finding the address based on the phone number, and got shut out by pay walls.

If we get more specific information I can be your feet on the ground, but until then the best I could do would be to drive around aimlessly and possibly freak out passers by with insane questions about conspiracy theories and fictional characters coming to life.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby NeverSlender on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:59 am

narrativedilettante wrote:That area code covers too big a location for me to effectively find anything just using it. In fact, I'm kind of on the edge of the 714 range right now. Unless there's a specific address or other hints, this isn't enough information to be going on. I know people were looking into finding the address based on the phone number, and got shut out by pay walls.

If we get more specific information I can be your feet on the ground, but until then the best I could do would be to drive around aimlessly and possibly freak out passers by with insane questions about conspiracy theories and fictional characters coming to life.

714-242 belongs to Santa Ana. That's as specific as I can find without paying money.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:07 am

Right... so until we have a clearer idea of where to go, I'll not start the actual in-person investigation.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:09 am

narrativedilettante wrote:Right... so until we have a clearer idea of where to go, I'll not start the actual in-person investigation.

Probably not necessary. Looks like the flyers (If there are any real physcial flyers) were meant to lead us to the site, which we managed to find regardless.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:16 am

narrativedilettante wrote:That area code covers too big a location for me to effectively find anything just using it. In fact, I'm kind of on the edge of the 714 range right now. Unless there's a specific address or other hints, this isn't enough information to be going on. I know people were looking into finding the address based on the phone number, and got shut out by pay walls.

Is it possible yo could get a recent phone book? Since all of this has occurred in the past few months, that means a recent phone directory would probably have the number in it.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:19 am

Sicon112 wrote:Is it possible yo could get a recent phone book? Since all of this has occurred in the past few months, that means a recent phone directory would probably have the number in it.

Could be... But there should be one accecible through the web too. What's the name of the phone operator for that area code? Their official site might list the users... And I'll warn that looking for a specific number on a print book will take a while, as they usually only come sorted by name and address.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:26 am

Hmm... I'll check at the library to see if they have a recent phone book I can use. (Who says print is dead?) As Pixie notes, it might be difficult to find the number, but I can give it a shot.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby The Finch on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:06 pm

What if those messed up posts yesterday where just decoys set up by the Kabals?

Just thinking out aloud.
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:15 pm

The Finch wrote:What if those messed up posts yesterday where just decoys set up by the Kabals?

Just thinking out aloud.

What do you mean?
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Scarab on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:31 pm

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:
The Finch wrote:What if those messed up posts yesterday where just decoys set up by the Kabals?

Just thinking out aloud.

What do you mean?

I think he means maybe all those spambots were actually the Cabal practising with hacking and seeing just what would grab our attention. They were getting a 'feel' for us based on how we responded to those posts...
Scarab

Postby IslaKariese on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Scarab wrote:I think he means maybe all those spambots were actually the Cabal practising with hacking and seeing just what would grab our attention. They were getting a 'feel' for us based on how we responded to those posts...

Well, considering Sicon posted a 'Despair and Die' picture on one and I went Eldritch on another...
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby The Finch on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:34 pm

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:

Just thinking out aloud.

What do you mean?

Well, there were a bunch of messed up posts in the off topic thread, and there where four of them, they all tried to sell us things and where all at an similar time area and country. What if they had a virus that allowed them to pass over the firewall and allowed them to mess with the posts?
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:35 pm

Scarab wrote:I think he means maybe all those spambots were actually the Cabal practising with hacking and seeing just what would grab our attention. They were getting a 'feel' for us based on how we responded to those posts...

Now that you point it out... I sort of makes sense to get a feel for the response time on the forum, and time frame where the mods and admins are online to be able to act just outside it... But I'm not sure if this translates into anything useful for us now. As they have already hacked the main site and revealed themselves.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Adell on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:35 pm

You should discuss this in the actual thread about the Cabal. This thread is specifically for the nutty professor's website.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Dryunya on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:15 pm

Somehow I missed that he mentioned the pamphlets. Maybe we Sequence Broke again.. ;)
UPD: Aaaand he points to www.usa.gov saying "THEY LIE". Yep, Tinfoil Hat all right. I hate it when Dumbass Has A Point...
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

PreviousNext

Return to The Cabal