locator.pheeble.net

"If you leave us in peace, we will do you no harm. If you wish to join us, we will set a chair at our table and work to our mutual benefit. If you work against us, we will have no choice but to retaliate."

[RIP Morgan, Erik, and Juan 26 Dec 2012]
[Moriarty refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

locator.pheeble.net

Postby Dryunya on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:19 pm

It was sent to Peter Pan, who shared it on his facebook page. Discuss.
UPD: This the map with the points.
UPD2: A document with the raw format. Please add yourself there first. PM me or post your coordinates here if you can't edit it.

I have 2 thoughts on this:
  1. It just points to some location. In that case we should check them out for something (I've asked Mr. A about it). Maybe the input position is important somehow.
  2. We already know that the 7 compasses on that page are different for different people. My theory is that they are pointing to some 7 locations from that spot the site gives you. In that case we should make another map with the given points and the compasses' directions (we can use lines for that).

I'm very concerned about my privacy, though (even though I've disclosed enough info over the course of this ARG to locate me IRL). So if we gather this all in one place, make sure the data can be deleted afterwards.

UPD: About the map:
Post the coordinates you receive, and use the lines for the compass directions. They are Color-Coded For Your Convenience with the rainbow color order, in case the order is important. Go, hivemind. :gurt:
Last edited by Dryunya on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Re: locator.pheeble.net

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:27 pm

Reposted from Peter Pan thread:
My coordinates point to the geographical center of the nearest town near me, not even the town I live in. I don't think anyone's privacy is being violated here. It only seems to reveal our approximate locations, which we've pretty much already revealed on the troper maps.

I think the compass points are the most important pieces of this puzzle. What were to happen if we all took a map, plotted the coordinate points the tools gave us, and then drew lines out away from the points in the direction of the compasses, and then looked at the intersecting lines?
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:34 pm

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:Reposted from Peter Pan thread:
My coordinates point to the geographical center of the nearest town near me, not even the town I live in. I don't think anyone's privacy is being violated here. It only seems to reveal our approximate locations, which we've pretty much already revealed on the troper maps.

I think the compass points are the most important pieces of this puzzle. What were to happen if we all took a map, plotted the coordinate points the tools gave us, and then drew lines out away from the points in the direction of the compasses, and then looked at the intersecting lines?

The reason for the approximation is because it is using your IP, which doesn't say exactly where you are.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:38 pm

Now, is there anyone else who failed at the location script?
I mean, Dryu's in Russia and it passed even though the Echo system is not in effect there.

I need Vic to try to know whether Brazil is out or it's something on my end.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Dryunya on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm now starting to make a map... I got a question. What do we do with duplicate compass directions? I have 3 of those. :o
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Dryunya wrote:I'm now starting to make a map... I got a question. What do we do with duplicate compass directions? I have 3 of those. :o

All mine point to North-East but one.

I'm thinking each compass points to a different location. So if we color code each of our lines, ie, the first compass's line be blue, second be green, then see where all the lines of the similar color meet up.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Dryunya on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:08 pm

Bingo. Color-Coding For Our Convenience is a good idea. :gurt:
Dryunya

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:10 pm

Top middle and then each line, right to left: North-East, East, North-East, West, East-North-East, North-East, East-North-East.

Coordinates are going to be PMd to Dryu. Don't bother responding. My inbox is full.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dryunya on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:27 pm

Ok, here's the plan. You all add your coordinates and the compass directions. I think we should get 7 points on the globe. Check the OP post. Get cracking, we have work to do. :gurt:
Dryunya

Postby RotavatoR on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:54 pm

I went to locator.pheeble.net
There's a guy and a ship's wheel.
Help?
RotavatoR

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:55 pm

RotavatoR wrote:I went to locator.pheeble.net
Help?

It should've asked if it could share your location. When it does, say yes.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:56 pm

Fair warning to anyone who wants to pay me a visit once my coordinates go up on the map: I have a massive supply of weapons including a rifle, shotgun, and katana, and I am a crack shot and a martial artist, and know very well how to use them.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby RotavatoR on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:58 pm

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:
RotavatoR wrote:I went to locator.pheeble.net
Help?

It should've asked if it could share your location. When it does, say yes.

Ok, I remember clicking "yes" once. Then when nothing happened, I turned it off again, and now I apparently also turned off the question as well.
RotavatoR

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:59 pm

RotavatoR wrote:Ok, I remember clicking "yes" once. Then when nothing happened, I turned it off again, and now I apparently also turned off the question as well.

Did it show "Could not reliably determine location."
If so you're in the same boat as me.
Pixelmage

Postby RotavatoR on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:02 pm

Pixelmage wrote:
RotavatoR wrote:Ok, I remember clicking "yes" once. Then when nothing happened, I turned it off again, and now I apparently also turned off the question as well.

Well, no. It's just... nothing happened.
I also stopped the question from appearing. Could anyone help me reset that?
RotavatoR

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:03 pm

RotavatoR wrote:
Pixelmage wrote:

Well, no. It's just... nothing happened.
I also stopped the question from appearing. Could anyone help me reset that?

I closed the tab and came back again and it worked.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby RotavatoR on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:09 pm

Sicon112 wrote:I closed the tab and came back again and it worked.

No, not here. After I chose "no" the first time, I also chose "never check for location", or something. Is there any way I can reset that?
RotavatoR

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:11 pm

RotavatoR wrote:

No, not here. After I chose "no" the first time, I also chose "never check for location", or something. Is there any way I can reset that?

Reset all browser data with the clear recent history function?
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:12 pm

RotavatoR wrote:

The method depends on which browser you're using. But yeah, just check your preferences and it's somewhere in there.
Pixelmage

Postby RotavatoR on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:20 pm

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU wrote:Could not reliably determine location.

That's too bad :(
Anyways, sorry for bugging you about this guys, and thanks for your help :)
RotavatoR

Postby Dryunya on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Ok. I got 4 points (maybe will add one more, or maybe not). They seems to contradict each other... I don't know what to make of this. :(
Dryunya

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Dryunya wrote:Ok. I got 4 points (maybe will add one more, or maybe not). They seems to contradict each other... I don't know what to make of this. :(

What about doing this like adding vectors in physics... Maybe the compasses are mean to have you head in the direction of the first, then turn to the second etc. But then how long do you follow each course? The distance the marker is from your exact location?
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dryunya on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:17 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Maybe the compasses are mean to have you head in the direction of the first, then turn to the second etc. But then how long do you follow each course? The distance the marker is from your exact location?

I think we must apply the information we already have. Maybe the order of the compasses is not important, and we should just see the intersection points.
Dryunya

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Dryunya wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:Maybe the compasses are mean to have you head in the direction of the first, then turn to the second etc. But then how long do you follow each course? The distance the marker is from your exact location?

I think we must apply the information we already have. Maybe the order of the compasses is not important, and we should just see the intersection points.

I suppose the compasses could be pointing to the nearest gaps in reality or something, perhaps in order of closest to farthest. We should be able to tell by looking a intersection points. The other thing we could do is average all the angles into one and see what happens. Just throwing out ideas here.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dryunya on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:27 pm

The "mean vector" would be somewhat valid if there were no opposite directions. :|
We should gather the data. Mr. Administrator is silent on the subject.

Don't hesitate to add your directions!
Dryunya

Next

Return to The Cabal