locator.pheeble.net

"If you leave us in peace, we will do you no harm. If you wish to join us, we will set a chair at our table and work to our mutual benefit. If you work against us, we will have no choice but to retaliate."

[RIP Morgan, Erik, and Juan 26 Dec 2012]
[Moriarty refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Re: locator.pheeble.net

Postby Chief Wakamakamu on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:25 am

eyebones wrote:The Earth is a globe. You can't lay directions out on a Mercator projection like that. You have to draw a great circle on a globe. Also remember that great circles can go over the poles and the shortest distance just might do that. Something 'North' of Moscow might actually be in Canada.

Oh, hey. That makes sense. Hrm.
Chief Wakamakamu
Meta-Knight

Postby Dryunya on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:10 pm

eyebones wrote:The Earth is a globe. You can't lay directions out on a Mercator projection like that. You have to draw a great circle on a globe. Also remember that great circles can go over the poles and the shortest distance just might do that. Something 'North' of Moscow might actually be in Canada.

That makes sense, but it requires different software. Any suggestions?
(That would also mean I won't be able to do for at least 2 more days)

I think we need some database in raw format for easier convertations. I'll use a google doc for that. Check the OP post. If there's no link yet, there will be soon. ;) It should be available for public editing, so PM me if there is a problem with that (I think the editing is still limited to those with a google account, though).
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Dryunya on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:40 pm

There. I've included everyone from this thread and my PMs. I can assure you that the document will be deleted when we are done. ;) As I said, don't hesitate to add yourself or PM me if you can't.

I can't add myself because I can't get tracked from where I am now. :(

Now, about the map software. I need it to have the following features:
  1. Globe view
  2. Drawing points, lines and polygons
  3. Ability to show/hide arbitrary lines

I'm open to suggestions.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby H22 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:48 pm

There is, of course, a wiki. www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/virtualglobe
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby H22 on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:50 pm

You can get a suitable add-in for NASA World Wind.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby The Finch on Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Is Google Earth available, or is that shot down?
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby S_o_S on Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:07 pm

Hey, locator's working for me again. Cool. PMing co-ordinates etc now.
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby Chief Wakamakamu on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:12 pm

Sooo... has anyone tried the globe thing yet?
Chief Wakamakamu
Meta-Knight

Postby Dryunya on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:15 pm

Ok. With the recent events, it's probably not the time, but nevertheless.
I'll get on it tomorrow, when I have a good sleep. In the meantime, post your coordinates. In the document, in the attachments, in PMs. We'll need a lot of data to pinpoint whatever it is, as the compasses are too incaccurate.

Yes, I'm talking to you. Go and post your data.
Dryunya

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:00 am

Guys. Seriously.
There are two freaking hundreds of us, and we still only have 12 records, including me. We'll need much more than that to pinpoint the target. I'm not asking you to go meta-knighting - adding yourself would only take a couple of minutes. And now that the coordinates are rounded to 1 digit after the point, it's not even breaches your privacy... too much. :)
Dryunya

Postby drain111 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:18 am

I've added my directions in the doc, but I can't add them in the map.

Edit: Nevermind, I've found how to do it.
Last edited by drain111 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
drain111

Postby The Finch on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:05 am

Dryunya wrote:Guys. Seriously.
There are two freaking hundreds of us, and we still only have 12 records, including me. We'll need much more than that to pinpoint the target. I'm not asking you to go meta-knighting - adding yourself would only take a couple of minutes. And now that the coordinates are rounded to 1 digit after the point, it's not even breaches your privacy... too much. :)

Well, over 180, if you minus the spam bots.
The Finch

Postby Scarab on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:23 am

Dryunya wrote:Guys. Seriously.

Has somebody already added me? I think I sent you my co-ords because I was being a useless noob and couldn't work out how to do it. :/
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby The Finch on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:54 am

Reading left to right:
My latitude is 38.7
My first arrow is pointing NE
My ion is -90.5
NEW LINE
My 1st arrow is pointing E
My 2nd arrow is pointing NE
My 3rd arrow is pointing W
NEW LINE
My 1st arrow is pointing ENE.
My 2nd arrow is pointing NE.
My 3rd arrow is pointing NE.

That's my locator readings. Let them help you on your way!
The Finch

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:25 am

Scarab wrote:Has somebody already added me? I think I sent you my co-ords because I was being a useless noob and couldn't work out how to do it. :/

You were added to the map, but now I can't get your exact coordinates... because I can't figure out how it's done on google maps. :|
If you were to check your location again, I'd be very grateful.
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:40 am

If they were able to make the coordinates vaguer, I feel like the map/coordinates might be a red herring. I just tried looking for patterns in people's strings of directions, and while I have no clue what I'm looking for or what to do with it when I find it, I did notice that a whole bunch of people with totally different coordinates have the same or almost the same direction sets exactly. There might be something to this. Needs more investigation.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby The Finch on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:50 am

Why don't you put the points on the map, create lines and then check for any points of intersection. Maybe that will help.
The Finch

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:57 am

The Finch wrote:Why don't you put the points on the map, create lines and then check for any points of intersection. Maybe that will help.

Directions without a start or end point don't correspond to points, they just... something. A code. Some other sort of hidden information. What I mean is, I don't think the coordinates are actually a useful piece of information here. Maybe we should try something else with the direction-sets?

Brainwave: People were talking earlier about trying to "connect the dots" on the echo locations to find a pattern. Maybe these direction sets can be applied to the echo locations?
Except it would be a drag to try every one against every other one... We could try stripping them for the "same" information in each, but that risks stripping out too much; we could try one that two people have already got dead on...
here's an idea: try direction-sets on the echoes closest to the coordinates that got those sets. Maybe we'll get something interesting. (I'd do it, but I have NO CLUE how to use the maps.)

Edit: Damn, we still don't have vector lengths. Not sure what to do with this. But there are my thoughts, for what they're worth.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:06 pm

Ok. There was a theory that we should find a sum of the direction vectors, and so I did.
Basically, I assumed every direction to be a vector with length of 1, and I summed them all in an excel sheet. The result is...
Nonsense. Sorry, guys. :cry:

This is that version of the map. I didn't place everyone there - just enough to make sure it didn't work. Note that I'll eventually delete this map.
I'll keep the raw data, just in case. PM if you need it.

We need another approach. Considering that Mr. A said it may point to an echo, you know it is important. Any theories are appreciated.
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Is it possible that we shouldn't be taking the sum vector?
By which I mean, maybe if we plot out the directions as 7 tail-to-tail vectors, they... I don't know. Make a shape? Circle something?
Just random crazy thoughts.

I think there should be a way for us to find a vector length, though, and until we find out what that is, we're probably not going to be getting anywhere.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby The Finch on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:13 pm

Did you add mine yet?
The Finch

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Yes, I did. (You could check the file instead of asking ;) )

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Is it possible that we shouldn't be taking the sum vector?
By which I mean, maybe if we plot out the directions as 7 tail-to-tail vectors, they... I don't know. Make a shape? Circle something?
Just random crazy thoughts.

First, tail-to-tail vectors is exactly what I did, mathematically. :gurt:
Second, I tried to check for shapes, and no, there aren't any. That makes sense - the directions are made by some algorithm, based on the entry point, and there's no way they could foresee all possible points.
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Sorry, I should have assumed you'd have already tried it.

I still think we're missing a piece, though. Mr A was pretty vague about it-- "might point to an echo but need more information".
I don't want to just recommend we sit tight and wait, but....... I think we're missing a piece.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby The Finch on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:41 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Sorry, I should have assumed you'd have already tried it.

I still think we're missing a piece, though. Mr A was pretty vague about it-- "might point to an echo but need more information".
I don't want to just recommend we sit tight and wait, but....... I think we're missing a piece.

What are we missing?
The Finch

Postby Dryunya on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:44 pm

Well, it was mailed to Pan as a standalone link. I think it should at least somehow point us in the general direction, and that's when we try to use his riddle to pinpoint the location.
I'm still out of ideas, though.
Dryunya

PreviousNext

Return to The Cabal