A Shadow Under the Ice

"If you leave us in peace, we will do you no harm. If you wish to join us, we will set a chair at our table and work to our mutual benefit. If you work against us, we will have no choice but to retaliate."

[RIP Morgan, Erik, and Juan 26 Dec 2012]
[Moriarty refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

A Shadow Under the Ice

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:56 pm

Bloody Hell. Looks like Erik's treated the world to a play of his own.

(And before you all call paranoia on me, Leroux-- the supposed last name of the play's creator-- is the writer of Phantom of the Opera, an obvious pseudonym choice for Erik.)

And it's apparently... Lovecraftian?

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN??? (And yes, I'm throwing all caution to the wind by posting this in the right forum. Caution is meaningless at this point. They are everywhere.)

And I keep being reminded of the play in A Study in Emerald.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Re: A Shadow Under the Ice

Postby Tohrinha on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:01 am

Immediate thoughts: It's opening at the Majestic Theatre, in New York City. <meta>We have the exact location; could this be an echo?</meta>
I'll look at it again, though.
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:02 am

I did a bit of speed chess in the chatroom and bounced ideas off of Kirika and Qara, so now we have a working plan to use this to handle the interactions with Adam.

Obviously, if he reveals himself as Leroux, Adam is gonna trust him. He has the resources to put on Adam's play, like he said. Therefore, pushing Adam will just make him ask for an identity, and bring that ever closer.

What we proposed first was to lie and use the Phantom's actions in his book as though he had committed them in a far away country, and possibly get Metaneko to help us claim that Erik had stolen the play from Metaneko, using some of his old tweets and getting his cooperation. However, I noticed that the GMs would have he Phantom reveal that we had been lying to Adam, so I dumped it. Instead, we will wait for him to bring up the whole Phantom thing in his plot first, and then act. We will caution him, letting him know an abridged and edited for believability list of the Phantom's crimes. We will imply that there is a strangeness about the sudden production of his play, which works because he came out of nowhere. etc.

Anyway, then I will take the stage and try to lure him into revealing who he is, at least tangentially, by using a response to the comments warning him. Or at least I want to gauge his response to someone implying that they may know who he is. After that, we can know if it is safe to tell him everything, or if he will react badly.

Should we need to tell him everything, I intend to say it in a way that leaves out the idea of him being "fiction" all together. After all, he is intelligent enough to start thinking about the free-will paradox involved. Therefore, we only talk as if he had come across worlds, and portray the refictionalization as sending him back to his world, at least, a version of it. We explain the infinite parallel universe theory, and say we will send him to a version world that meets his specifications. Since there are infinite variations, this is plausible. Then we get him to tell us what he wants, write a story including that, and then give it an open ending. This allows him to make of the world exactly what he wants, and gives him his own decisions. In other words, he will Earn His Happy Ending, if he wants it.

In other news, I agree with Toh, it's probably an echo. Also I would say this means that A: the Cabal has a LOT more funding now, and B: The Phantom will not be going on a lot of field ops anymore. It's too dangerous for him to be caught and the job he likely intends to keep for life ruined.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dryunya on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:09 am

The mention of realistic animatronics creeps me out. All Part Of The Show, much? There may be some abominations Mr. A was unaware of? We should be ready for that. :?
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:27 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Bloody Hell. Looks like Erik's treated the world to a play of his own.

(And before you all call paranoia on me, Leroux-- the supposed last name of the play's creator-- is the writer of Phantom of the Opera, an obvious pseudonym choice for Erik.)

And it's apparently... Lovecraftian?

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN??? (And yes, I'm throwing all caution to the wind by posting this in the right forum. Caution is meaningless at this point. They are everywhere.)

And I keep being reminded of the play in A Study in Emerald.

( Typing my best with chains on wrists)

Lovecraftian? It's inspired by the infamous horror stories of the writer H.P Lovecraft.

One of his creations, and the most well known is:
http://www.thelovecraftsman.com/2011/09 ... hulhu.html

Cthulhu.

Find out more at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft

And they mentioned the works of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._E._D._Klein
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby agoraoptera on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:51 am

A Shadow Under the Ice seems a lot like an adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness. If Erik summons a shoggoth, I will clap, flee for my life and be stunned. In any order. Also, I am reminded again of the musical A Shoggoth on the Roof :D.
If you can make it better, don't make it sentient.

agoraoptera wrote: :| Shane just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I get to be Godzilla

Proud co-writer of the Greatest Idea of Our Time: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1236
agoraoptera

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:09 am

WildWest-- I know what Lovecraftian is. What I meant was more "what the heck, who writes a Lovecraftian Broadway musical???"

Dryunya wrote:The mention of realistic animatronics creeps me out. All Part Of The Show, much? There may be some abominations Mr. A was unaware of? We should be ready for that. :?

Oh God.
Like I've said before, I'm pretty sure confirmation from Mr A that we've got them all means it's canon.

But.

I think you just answered why he bothered with this play at all, Dryu.

Looks like the Cabal's got their way of actively opposing us-- by trying to pull more fictionals of their own. Maybe this helps them? Or they're going to try to pull Erik's characters, now that they're canon?

kajg;arjgi;ojrif;joaj'
(result of me banging my head against the keyboard in disgust for the Cabal's sheer idiocy if this IS their plan)
It would be like Morgana to think it's a good idea to invite Cthulhu over to our world. Not sure about the rest of them-- they DO all want to live here, after all, which means having a world to live in. But she's good at the bloody-minded wanton destruction, if I recall.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:20 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:(result of me banging my head against the keyboard in disgust for the Cabal's sheer idiocy if this IS their plan)
It would be like Morgana to think it's a good idea to invite Cthulhu over to our world. Not sure about the rest of them-- they DO all want to live here, after all, which means having a world to live in. But she's good at the bloody-minded wanton destruction, if I recall.

Agreed, considering they have some of the smartest people in fiction on their side how can the Cabal be so bloody STUPID? :x

Seriously, have they no idea the ramifications that more fictions in the world are going to have? Don't they realise this will LITERALLY put the whole planet at risk? (Although that said we still don't know HOW I'm not seeing any cracks in the walls of reality in the sky or anything.)
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:23 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:WildWest-- I know what Lovecraftian is. What I meant was more "what the heck, who writes a Lovecraftian Broadway musical???"

Dryunya wrote:The mention of realistic animatronics creeps me out. All Part Of The Show, much? There may be some abominations Mr. A was unaware of? We should be ready for that. :?

Oh God.
Like I've said before, I'm pretty sure confirmation from Mr A that we've got them all means it's canon.

But.

I think you just answered why he bothered with this play at all, Dryu.

Looks like the Cabal's got their way of actively opposing us-- by trying to pull more fictionals of their own. Maybe this helps them? Or they're going to try to pull Erik's characters, now that they're canon?

kajg;arjgi;ojrif;joaj'
(result of me banging my head against the keyboard in disgust for the Cabal's sheer idiocy if this IS their plan)

Answer:

A twisted deformed mad musical genius would.

It could also be a gigantic hint to what the Cabal are going to try and pull off. If they do, well- TIME FOR FICTION!
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:25 am

The Wild West Pyro wrote:A twisted deformed mad musical genius would.

It could also be a gigantic hint to what the Cabal are going to try and pull off. If they do, well- TIME FOR FICTION!

Yeah but on that note no mention was made a deformity or mask in the review. Not that this means anything, the writer may just have been being polite but...

Yeah about those stories by the way - are we writing them NOW, or do we have to wait for an announcement when we can start writing each individual characters tales?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:26 am

Scarab wrote:(Although that said we still don't know HOW I'm not seeing any cracks in the walls of reality in the sky or anything.)

You're thinking in three dimensions. You have to think in six. The crack's along the sixth dimension; the sky is part of the third. So you won't see the cracks there.

TheWildWestPyro wrote:A twisted deformed mad musical genius would.

Sensible answer.
Uchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I don't want to have to write Lovecraftian fiction! Cthulhu is annoying!
Why, Erik, why??????????

(And Scarab-- we have to wait for Mr. A's go-ahead on each one.)

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:29 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:
Scarab wrote:(Although that said we still don't know HOW I'm not seeing any cracks in the walls of reality in the sky or anything.)

You're thinking in three dimensions. You have to think in six. The crack's along the sixth dimension; the sky is part of the third. So you won't see the cracks there.

TheWildWestPyro wrote:A twisted deformed mad musical genius would.

Sensible answer.
Why, Erik, why??????????

No problemo.

LIME MAN!!!!!!! HELP! IF CTHULHU COMES!
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:29 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:You're thinking in three dimensions. You have to think in six. The crack's along the sixth dimension; the sky is part of the third. So you won't see the cracks there.

Because my pre-existing paranoia was clearly not enough. Thanks Qara. :P

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Sensible answer.
Why, Erik, why??????????

Because Erik is an IDIOT. The more I read into the story of Phantom of the Opera the more he seems like a twisted, deformed, pitifual madman who spent all that time worrying what people would think of his face and MAKING hismelf into a monster he might not have been if he tried harder, like, say, Adam is.
And don't even get me started on that bloody sequel. It seems like Phantom on drugs.

(And thank you, I thought as much. Easier to organize that way.)
Scarab

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:40 am

Scarab wrote:
Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:You're thinking in three dimensions. You have to think in six. The crack's along the sixth dimension; the sky is part of the third. So you won't see the cracks there.

Because my pre-existing paranoia was clearly not enough. Thanks Qara. :P

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Sensible answer.
Why, Erik, why??????????

Because Erik is an IDIOT. The more I read into the story of Phantom of the Opera the more he seems like a twisted, deformed, pitifual madman who spent all that time worrying what people would think of his face and MAKING hismelf into a monster he might not have been if he tried harder, like, say, Adam is.
And don't even get me started on that bloody sequel. It seems like Phantom on drugs.

(And thank you, I thought as much. Easier to organize that way.)

( Backing away from a mob of pitchfork and torch wielding very angry fangirls, just outside Scarab's room above the Coffee Shop.)

Yes, Phangirls, yes- The Phantom of the Opera is actually a nice, lovable person, underneath, and he is sympathetic to Christine too, and charming and handsome and seductive and my third favourite Universal Monster, well, the 1943 Version.

But... he is a stalker, murderer, terrorist, and villain too!

Angry Phangirls: WE REFUSE TO BELIEVE ANY OF THAT!

Lead Phangirl: Who the heck are you anyway? Why are you wearing a trench coat and goggles and a fedora and bandages? Are you some sort of freak?

( Rages. Note: The following lines are from the 1933 movie, The Invisible Man, and credit goes to the late Claude Rains, one of the best British actors ever!)

"YOU'RE CRAZED TO KNOW WHO I AM, AREN'T YOU? ALL RIGHT, I'LL SHOW YOU!"

( Starts unwrapping bandages, showing he's invisible. You can't even see his head!"

( Frightened Phangirls back away)

"MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT, EH?"

( Metaguards hear screaming, breaking glass, and the sounds of their youngest member self defending himself with a wooden baton.)
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Krika on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:49 am

The Wild West Pyro wrote:( Backing away from a mob of pitchfork and torch wielding very angry fangirls, just outside Scarab's room above the Coffee Shop.)

Yes, Phangirls, yes- The Phantom of the Opera is actually a nice, lovable person, underneath, and he is sympathetic to Christine too, and charming and handsome and seductive and my third favourite Universal Monster, well, the 1943 Version.

Lead Phangirl: Who the heck are you anyway? Why are you wearing a trench coat and goggles and a fedora and bandages? Are you some sort of freak?

( Rages. Note: The following lines are from the 1933 movie, The Invisible Man, and credit goes to the late Claude Rains, one of the best British actors ever!)

( Starts unwrapping bandages, showing he's invisible. You can't even see his head!"

( Metaguards hear screaming, breaking glass, and the sounds of their youngest member self defending himself with a wooden baton.)

Congratulations. You have passed the right of passage. You are now an adult.
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Location: Usually my dorm, with my laptop. Oh, you meant city? Rochester, in the freezing state of New York.

Postby Pixelmage on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:14 am

WMG Time:

1- The Cabal is plotting aganist us/cAke/The Wall.
2- We send ficties back by writing stories of them in the other side.

If the opposite to 2 is true:
The Cabal brings ficties here by writing stories happening on our side.

The Phanton is trying to bring Cthulhu to play.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:29 am

I suspect that this may be "If I can't have it, no one can" regarding the real world. Bringing Lovecraftian gods here would likely destroy everyone, including the fictives, but the Cabal may think that's worthwhile if their only other alternative is being sent back while we all live happily ever after.

Maybe not the whole Cabal thinks this, but the Phantom is crazy enough that he might.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Pixelmage on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:38 am

And to address a point Wacky brought up in the chatroom. We only need to write the stories. why would they go for a brodway musical?

Simple, for the stories to work, they have to be canon. Mr. A will elevate ours, no further work needed. But he won't make their's canon, so, he has to produce it and ingrain it into the canonical verse by standard means.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby The Finch on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:47 am

Pixelmage wrote:And to address a point Wacky brought up in the chatroom. We only need to write the stories. why would they go for a brodway musical?

Simple, for the stories to work, they have to be canon. Mr. A will elevate ours, no further work needed. But he won't make their's canon, so, he has to produce it and ingrain it into the canonical verse by standard means.

Because many of our characters involve Broadway. Tara was a actor. Adam's a playwright. Romeo and Juliet was set on a stage originally. Sherlock Holmes has been adapted onto Broadway at least once. The Wizard of Oz has been adapted into not only a musical, but also Wicked, a separate musical about the Witch. Sweeney Todd has been a successful musical. The Phantom of the Opera is one of the most successful musicals of all time. King Arthur has had many theater showings.
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:22 pm

The Finch wrote:
Pixelmage wrote:And to address a point Wacky brought up in the chatroom. We only need to write the stories. why would they go for a brodway musical?

Because many of our characters involve Broadway. Tara was a actor. Adam's a playwright. Romeo and Juliet was set on a stage originally. Sherlock Holmes has been adapted onto Broadway at least once. The Wizard of Oz has been adapted into not only a musical, but also Wicked, a separate musical about the Witch. Sweeney Todd has been a successful musical. The Phantom of the Opera is one of the most successful musicals of all time. King Arthur has had many theater showings.

It's all linked together.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:23 pm

Krika wrote:
The Wild West Pyro wrote:( Backing away from a mob of pitchfork and torch wielding very angry fangirls, just outside Scarab's room above the Coffee Shop.)

Congratulations. You have passed the right of passage. You are now an adult.

Also, I turn 13 on November 9, mate.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:23 pm

What I want to know now is: How the hell is Lovecraftian fanfiction based on Erik's experiences, as he claims it is?
(Good news: if we can trust their chat archives, which I'm not sure we can, then it turns out this WASN'T an evil plot, just an artistic venture!)

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:31 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:What I want to know now is: How the hell is Lovecraftian fanfiction based on Erik's experiences, as he claims it is?
(Good news: if we can trust their chat archives, which I'm not sure we can, then it turns out this WASN'T an evil plot, just an artistic venture!)

I think it is just an artistic venture. AND A GIGANTIC HINT TO WHAT THEY WILL DO.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:37 pm

HANG ON A MINUTE.

Mr. A said that Cthulhu was probably "called" here by overuse of his name or something.
But... wait a minute.

What could call the Great Old One MORE than a PLAY in this world, written and produced by a fictional, ALL ABOUT HIM, with highly realistic special effects?

Erik has absolutely no canon/in-character reason to have written a play about Eldritch Abominations. On the surface, it made no sense, and just seemed kinda random. But maybe... there was some other motivation behind his choice of subject matter?

Just saying, now that this has occurred to me, I REALLY don't trust the Cabal. It seems too big to be a coincidence. (...Maybe someone better than me at phrasing it in a non-accusatory way can ask Morgan about... why Erik chose to write about what he did, and whether it might be connected?)

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:41 pm

I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Next

Return to The Cabal