A Shadow Under the Ice

"If you leave us in peace, we will do you no harm. If you wish to join us, we will set a chair at our table and work to our mutual benefit. If you work against us, we will have no choice but to retaliate."

[RIP Morgan, Erik, and Juan 26 Dec 2012]
[Moriarty refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Re: A Shadow Under the Ice

Postby H22 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:42 pm

My problem here is the last paragraph of this. We've actually discussed this many times before, and there is actually no motive for the Cabal to do this. Other than that, a scary amount of sense.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Dryunya on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Ok, seriously now. I can't say anything until we know his reasons for the play, and until then he can be seen as a "contributor".
And, meta, we weren't given the deadlines for the Cabal, and it's unlikely we'll get them on 20th or something, so I don't expect any more twists about them.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:What could call the Great Old One MORE than a PLAY in this world, written and produced by a fictional, ALL ABOUT HIM, with highly realistic special effects?

Erik has absolutely no canon/in-character reason to have written a play about Eldritch Abominations. On the surface, it made no sense, and just seemed kinda random. But maybe... there was some other motivation behind his choice of subject matter?

It makesd a scary ammount of sense that it would have called him although not nessecarily on purpose.

I dunno if Erik has NO in canon reasons... I mean he was considered a 'monster' (for god knows what reaso) in his world, right? And whatever the case, what reason would he have TO call Cthulhu?

Maybe we should ask Morgan about this possibility?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:52 pm

I shall.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Dryunya on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Morgana offered her help in defeating Cthulhu in exchange for the permission to stay here.
Cthulhu came because of repeated mentions of his name.
Erik made a popular play about Cthulhu.

I see what they did there. :ugeek:

I'll refrain from pointing fingers until we have any confirmation, because that plan is a Xanatos Roulette by its nature.

UPD: I checked the article about the play - it didn't mention Cthulhu, it said it was "inspired by H. P. Lovecraft". It can still draw Cthulhu by association, though.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby H22 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:34 pm

It actually says 'cthulhic'. So.....
H22

Postby Dryunya on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Jossed. Move along. :geek:
Dryunya

Postby H22 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Nothing to see. Shut up everyone.
H22

Postby Adell on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:01 pm

Guys, I get you don't want to take some of the blame for cthuhu's appearance but...well, we have to take some of the blame for cthuhlu's appearance. :\ Anyway, nothing to see here.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:54 am

Adell wrote:Guys, I get you don't want to take some of the blame for cthuhu's appearance but...well, we have to take some of the blame for cthuhlu's appearance. :\ Anyway, nothing to see here.

No.

The teacher is to blame. And me probably.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Blurred_9L on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:48 pm

The Wild West Pyro wrote:The teacher is to blame. And me probably.

I don't think you should be blaming yourself. After all, most of us did play with the idea from time to time. Like that day where we all proclaimed we were Cthulhu >.<.
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Previous

Return to The Cabal