Cabal Contact

"If you leave us in peace, we will do you no harm. If you wish to join us, we will set a chair at our table and work to our mutual benefit. If you work against us, we will have no choice but to retaliate."

[RIP Morgan, Erik, and Juan 26 Dec 2012]
[Moriarty refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Re: Cabal Contact

Postby Scarab on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:30 pm

The Finch wrote:I see. But exactly what I should type is the problem.

Just be hoenst and frank, post your email here, or in the chatroom for us to look over if you're unsure about it and we'll help you clear things up. :)
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:45 pm

I emailed Morgan back:

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Dear Morgan,

I hear that you haven't the patience for long walls of text, so I'll try to keep this brief, though there's much I wish to say.

I'm sure you're well aware that the Metaguards have been reading each other's correspondences with you on the dedicated thread, so I won't hesitate to drag in points that they brought up which I might not otherwise have thought of addressing, especially as I-- much like yourself, if you don't mind the comparison-- tend to come at issues in a radically different way from most.

You mentioned, specifically in an email to my colleague Sicon, that you dislike the fact that you have been repeatedly characterized as the villain, repeatedly the losing party, in countless retellings of "your" story. Although, like him, I have difficulty believing that this way of experiencing retellings of your stories can be the case, for the moment I'll assume it is, because if I don't accept your premises, and you mine, at least some of the time, then all communication breaks down.

I don't know if you recall, then, one retelling which stands out from the group. But I would like to tell you that you are not alone. Some years ago, I read a novel by a woman named Nancy Springer, entitled I Am Morgan Le Fey. It told your story, more or less, but from YOUR perspective. I understand you can't read stories about you, and the book isn't well-known enough to merit a Wikipedia page apparently, though I would have hesitations about linking you to one anyway; a review can hardly encompass the beauty of the character and the lyrical writing in that book. I was at once enraptured by and fascinated with your character. I admit, the ending was still tragic, but it was beautiful in its tragedy, and I raged silently for weeks that Miss Springer had not written you more peace of mind.

In fact, I feel that you and I have a great deal in common. I have long been fascinated by characters such as yourself, and a great deal of that is because I see so much of myself in you. For the past several weeks, it has pained me to be forced to condemn you, to take an oppositional position to you, because I have loved you, Morgan; true, only as a reader loves a character, but I would not underestimate that love. However, just as you present your situation in absolutes, I have a tendency to see my world in black and white. And it is easy to love a character in a book who is noble and brilliant and strong, no matter her misdeeds, but less so to forgive a person for crimes in the real world. That is why I have asked you-- why I implore you, for my sake as much as your own-- to give me a reason to trust you, some indication that you fall somewhat closer to the "white" end of what may well be a false dichotomy of black and white.

And whatever our stance on moral issues, Morgan, I hope we can be friends. You, more than any other fictional who has entered this world, I can relate to on a basic, gut level; in you alone do I see such strong mirrors of myself. Because of this affinity I feel for you, I must say, that while I hope for the sake of my struggle that your investigation finds my claims to be true, I hope for your sake that you find them false. I know from painful experience that such dreams die so hard. And whatever the result, please know that I am here for you, as a friend, and, if things work out, perhaps even as an ally.

Best wishes,
Qara-Xuan

and she wrote back:

Morgan Le Fey wrote:Dearest Qara,

I appreciate the attempt to be brief. Things do not always go as we would plan them, I understand that much.

I am not sure if I have lived out the details of this much-loved book of yours. I am afraid that I don't live from title to title. If you described some of what happened in the book, I might be able to give you a better idea of whether it is a part of my personal canon. Events on the other side of the wall would lead me to believe that it is, though I do not wish to say that and have it be untrue.

I cannot give you any indication that I am a white character as far as morality goes. I am not. But I like to believe that I stand in the grey. I do not know how light I am, but I believe that I am becoming lighter in this world than I would ever have the chance to do in mine.

I do not know if your side has all of the facts concerning us, and I do not know how to give them all to you. It is very easy to say something and have other believe it to be untrue. Providing concrete proof, as I have found with my attempts to prove the Tyrant incorrect, is difficult when the proof does not lie in your hands.

I thank you for sharing this part of yourself with me. I hope that one day, after the wall is sealed, I will be able to finally read some of my own stories. Perhaps I can start with this Nancy Springer novel you have loved so much.

Morgan
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Tohrinha on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Reposting my email for clarity before posting her response:

Tohrinha wrote:Morgan,

A clarification, please: You state that you have lived through your defeats repeatedly, as well as variations. Could you more fully explain this? What sort of timestream did you exist in? Did you exist in all adaptations of your story? When do you live through your story? From your perspective, do you loop through the timeline? or can you live through the same story more than once at the same time? or multiple stories?

Reading back over my email, it seems I leave you with a plethora of questions; this topic has piqued my interest. Beyond individual curiosity, your responses may help us refine our theories and perhaps improve our refictionalization methods. And once I receive your response, I may address some of your other concerns.

Respectfully,

Tohrinha Dasteme

Morgan wrote:Dearest Tohrinha,

It is difficult to explain. Sometimes a piece of me will change, and I will forget if I had sisters, or a brother, and my mind becomes clouded with questions of memory. At this point, I have had more memories of more incarnations of myself than I can properly make sense of.

Sometimes I will find myself fighting a battle that seems familiar, where I take the same steps, or call out something I can almost remember saying before. Changes will be present, but it will seem familiar because it is.

I don't know that I have existed in all adaptations of my story. I would have had to read my various stories and comment on their veracity.

I haven't lived through multiple things at once, but I will repeat things. I know that I have stolen Arthur's scabbard while leaving the blade dozens of times, and I am compelled to play out the story with its small changes or large changes depending on the writer. I have lived through the same experience, usually the bad ones, over and over. No one writes "And then they all were happy" and includes Morgan Le Fey in that shared happiness. I provide the darkness which my story demands. Otherwise, I would have tried to do better by my followers, my land, and the man who would be my king.

Please tell me if I have failed to answer any of your questions properly.

Morgan
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:38 pm

So, apparently they don't want us sending any more walls of text, because my most recent message got this as a response, which answers absolutely nothing and only restates the things I asked, without answering me WHY.

Morgan wrote:Dearest K,

Let us both endeavor to be more concise, less this correspondence become bogged down.

I believe the characters are causing echoes and that echoes are not damaging to reality.

The wall pieces were once in London, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Baltimore, and New York.

You will not need to get the wall piece in Los Angeles.

I do not know exactly how I got into this world, but that does not mean I am lying about my life on the other side of the wall. As you can see, I knew I was somewhere different, and I believe the fleshing out process began immediately.

The wall piece is clear, with an image on one side. It is as big as you would expect form the picture. We were not aware of any change from moving the wall piece - we scanned a code.

Morgan

So, she vaguely answered my question about what she believed, but she did not at all explain why she so discounts Mr. A's theories out of hand. She explained where the relevant echoes were, but I am at a loss as to how they found the LA piece when the echo that had Mr. A's face pointing to the wall fragment was the one where they were acquiring said wall fragment. She DID answer that she thinks the fleshing out happened at once and was not triggered by some event, which I can see happening if it is only happening to her, but she failed to tell me whether or not that was actually the case like I asked! As to the wall fragment thing, I suppose her answers on that count are acceptable. She has mentioned this "code" before, but I'm gonna ask what it is.

Sicon wrote:Dear Morgan,

While I will endeavor to be concise as you request, I would appreciate it if this brevity does not come at the expense of actual answers from now on. I cannot help but notice you have completely ignored a significant portion of my message.

You responded to my first point in an unfortunately vague manner, but I shall assume the information you have left out, and you may confirm it. You believe that you, directly, are causing the echoes, but does this not mean that they would continue even after the wall was closed? This in turn leaves the possibility of Mr. A's predictions coming true far more likely than I would like. I also recall one of you suggesting some explanation for why the wall's close would stop the echoes. Care to share that?

You totally dodge my question of why you discount Mr. A out of hand with no data. You do not even consider the possibility or provide an argument on the subject, something that would be wise if you wish to sway us to your side.

You do address my first question about your 'fleshing out' but only my first. You appear to have just ignored the rest without so much as a mention, which really does annoy me. Care to actually respond to my comments, or would that bog down our conversation too much for your taste?

Is this something that is happening to all of the Cabal, or is it just you so far? If it is happening to others in your group, are there any differences between cases? How does this, combined with the fact that Erik made a musical of Juan once change things, if at all?

Your comments on the wall fragment are perhaps the only acceptably detailed portion of your answer. However, I would like to know what exactly you mean by "scanning a code". What is this code? How does it work? Where did you get it? An outline of what this means would help greatly, as you have mentioned this elsewhere as well, with just as little information attached.

~Sicon
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Tohrinha on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:04 pm

Thank you for attempting to explain. There is nothing quite so frustrating as a lack of (consistent) information. This, I believe, I will be able to work into my theories. If not, or when I have additional questions, I will return to this subject.

Meanwhile, I'd lik to clarify something you mentioned in your correspondence with Sicon. You mention that we do not need to find the wall piece at Los Angeles. I have two questions. Is this the wall piece you found? And are you certain this is the correct location?

Respectfully,

Tohrinha Dasteme

:oops: Typo.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear earlier. By the "correct location", I mean is this the location of the echo that led you to the wall piece?

Apologies,

Tohrinha Dasteme
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby H22 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:50 pm

As a supplementary to my email, I sent yesterday this:

If I might add to my emails to you, Mr. Administrator has communicated
further about the wall pieces. Do you wish to re-evaluate your response in
light of his claim that it would seal the wall.

To Erik, Juan and Morgana.

Response:

Dearest Henry,
It will take me a while to get to the larger emails I have today -- I will
get to your main email later. I will say that claim sounds suspicious, like
something someone would say to ensure they get what they want. Then again, I
suppose it is possible. There was a code we used that caused the wall piece
to immediately revert back to its natural state, so I can't vouch for what
would have happened otherwise.
Also, I noticed you sent this message to Erik and Juan as well. I have to
say, those two never check their email. I believe they are actually inactive
at this point.
Sincerely,
Morgan

So THAT'S their response to Sequence Breaking.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby H22 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Response to my main email to Morgana alone:

Dearest Henry,

My views of the Administrator are that he has his theory and does not want
to to be proven incorrect. I do believe that he is, though.

What are you curious about as far as the wall piece?

I will need to discuss this arrangement with my fellow Cabal members. I take
no issue with that agreement.
H22

Postby H22 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:59 pm

My response to email 2:

Dear Morgan,

Thank you very much for your response. I wish to know how you obtained them,  what you thought of them, and your views on the theory. To further elaborate my point, you do not know what could happen when you interfere with the detectives and their cases; it may well raise unexpected repercussions, not to mention the fact any interference would be discovered and potentially penalised.
Finally, I feel I should apologise for the behaviour of a few metaguards. Had I received their emails, I would have found them discourteous, unchivalrous and rude.
Yours sincerely,
[REDACTED]
H22

Postby Tohrinha on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:10 pm

We've just found out about the Cabal's apology letter to Joe -- you sent it about a month ago, I believe. This may have caused some unneeded hostility between our groups. (Among which is your exchange with WackyMeetsPractical. At that point, we hadn't seen any sign of your apology.)
We'd like to know what you wrote to him, if possible.
Thank you,
Tohrinha Dasteme
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:08 am

I just sent this to Morgan:

Dearest Morgan,

Please forgive me for not replying sooner. Recent events in the news this past week have left me feeling drained, without the energy to respond to any of my correspondents, but I realize that to put this off any longer would be unpardonably rude. So please accept this belated letter, and my deepest apologies.

I'll be honest: After about ten years since I last read it, I remember distinctly the feelings the book left me with; less so what the book actually said; such is often the way with me. I remember that the Morgan of that book loved her father, and despised the man who murdered him and took his place. I remember she cared for a sister who was ultimately proved too different from her, leaving her feeling disappointed and betrayed. I remember that despite her resentment for him, she allowed Arthur a chance to demonstrate his goodwill and earn her loyalty-- a chance which he utterly wasted and lost. I remember that there was a man she loved, who shared a life with her, briefly, in a secluded home, and that I wept with her at the news of his death. I remember knowing at the end of the book that, had I been in her place, I too would have sworn to bring about Arthur's demise.

On another note, I notice that you repeatedly use the term "Tyrant" to refer, I presume, to Mr. Administrator. Why is that, may I ask? As far as I can tell, all he tyrannizes are instantiations of himself, making him no more a tyrant than I am for compelling my component cells to do the bidding of my brain. If you have some information I lack which sheds light on this appellation, please share it; I'm always eager to learn more, especially now as some of my assumptions about him are being challenged. And if it is merely a matter of bias, I respectfully request that you drop it, just as I have dropped my unfairly-conceived biases about you which I'm sure you saw me express in the forums, the chatrooms, and my first ill-advised email to you. He may not be entirely trustworthy, but I respect him enough that I dislike baseless derogatory nicknames.

And speaking of trust: I agree with you that in a situation such as this one, proof is difficult, if not impossible, to provide on either side of the argument. The burden of proof, I feel, is one too heavy to shoulder, which is why I do not demand it. Of both you and Mr Administrator, all I ask for is goodwill.

On that note, I have a proposal to make. I have not yet put this to my colleagues on the forums, because it is my ardent hope that you and I can approach our respective groups with it approximately simultaneously. As you doubtless know from the forums, my fellows and I have a number of objectives which do not relate to refictionalization attempts. Likewise, I'm sure that you and yours have projects unconnected with acquisition of Wall pieces.

What I recommend is simple, then: a conditional alliance. Until such time as the question of whether your presence truly destabilizes reality or whether we should seal the wall with you here-- a question with which I will no longer involve myself-- has been resolved, let us be allies in all other matters. You join forces with us in matters such as getting Pan acquitted in his trial and helping Holmes and Poirot to solve their mysteries; in exchange, we will offer you all the help we can give with your endeavours, on two conditions: 1) that it be nothing that forces our hand in the matter of sealing the wall/keeping you here, and 2) that it do nothing to further or condone human suffering.

(Were I a scheming person, I might add that such an arrangement is guaranteed to benefit the Cabal, as the increased goodwill that would result from working closely together would make us more willing to trust you, and less inclined to send you back against your wishes. As things stand, however, I like to think that increased goodwill can be seen as a desirable end in and of itself.)

Your friend and, I hope, your conditional ally,
Qara-Xuan

...and I don't know HOW it turned into such a wall of text. I didn't even write that much!

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Tohrinha on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Morgan's back online.

Sorry for the delay in communications – Don Juan did something foolish to our router when he was over for thanksgiving, and Erik just came by to fix it.
The wall piece in the Mayan was the one we retrieved, yes. There is no need to go after this one, we are certain.
Sincerely,
Morgan

I'm glad to know your communications are back online. I hope your Thanksgiving went well in other respects.
However, I'm afraid that does not answer my question. Which echo led you to the Mayan? Was it the one in San Francisco?
Respectfully,
Tohrinha Dasteme

Morgan wrote:Tohrinha,
We were lead to this Wall Piece by the image in the shards that were distributed earlier. When we determined that his image indicated the locations of the others, we mobilized to retrieve those too – however, the Administrator had already taken action.
Hopefully this helps,
Morgan
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby Tohrinha on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:10 pm

And as for the apology letter:

Morgan wrote:Dear Torinha,

The letter was not written by me, but by Angelus as our representative. It was he who felt we had the most to gain from mending that bridge, and since he felt so passionately about it, we delegated it to him.

I approved the letter and its contents. I do remember the general gist of it, but it was hand-written, and we only created a single copy.

However, I am reluctant to further discuss its contents with you, or your fellows, until action is taken on the matter we discussed earlier.

The Wall Pieces must be located immediately. We have heard many encouraging words, but words will not allow us to stay. Action must be taken to seal the wall.

Thank you for your dedication.

Morgan
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:24 pm

Another exchange.
Pixelmage wrote:Dear Morgan,

This is the first holiday during which we have contact, I trust you were able to enjoy the festivities that are surely new to you? Did you enjoy any other sort of similar experience in this world, such as Halloween? As for me, my country does not celebrate this date, so I spent my time keeping up with matters unrelated to this whole crisis.

~Pixelmage

Reply:
Morgan wrote:Dearest [NAME],
Aside from Don Juan knocking out our router, we had a amiable thanksgiving. I believe I may have consumed too much turkey, however.
Thank you for your interest,
Morgan
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:54 pm

Wacky wrote:Dear Morgan,

It's Wacky.

I'm sure as you already have seen, Joe had posted a new video, revealing that he had been keeping an apology letter from us, written by you guys.

If you remember, this was a very prominent theme in my last e-mail towards you, and as I recall, I said some very nasty things.

Obviously, some apologies are in order. I am so terribly sorry. I take back everything I said. I reacted harshly without any information, and that was wrong of me.

You guys are very human, and I see you're trying to reach out and make amends. I'm hating Joe more and more now.

You asked for suggestions as to how you guys can make things up to Joe. I don't feel like giving any. Joe has betrayed me for all I'm concerned.

I'm still not completely won over by you guys though. My trust is in Mr. A. So far, he's the only one who hasn't let me down.

Dearest Graham,

Indeed, Joe concealing the letter lead to unneeded strife, and I appreciate you reaching out to apologize. I must admit, I was frustrated that the letter had not come to light, but I felt if I had mentioned sending one it would have been labeled as further deception.

While I understand your frustration with Joe, he is human, and therefore his actions are at least somewhat understandable. As you have credited us with being human, he also deserves that consideration.

If we are to be united by our shared humanity, however, your trust in the distinctly inhuman Administrator puzzles me. I simply don't understand how or why you acquiesce so easily to his theories and his demands.

Sincerely,
Morgan
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:28 pm

I wrote:
Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Dearest Morgan,

Please forgive me for not replying sooner. Recent events in the news this past week have left me feeling drained, without the energy to respond to any of my correspondents, but I realize that to put this off any longer would be unpardonably rude. So please accept this belated letter, and my deepest apologies.

I'll be honest: After about ten years since I last read it, I remember distinctly the feelings the book left me with; less so what the book actually said; such is often the way with me. I remember that the Morgan of that book loved her father, and despised the man who murdered him and took his place. I remember she cared for a sister who was ultimately proved too different from her, leaving her feeling disappointed and betrayed. I remember that despite her resentment for him, she allowed Arthur a chance to demonstrate his goodwill and earn her loyalty-- a chance which he utterly wasted and lost. I remember that there was a man she loved, who shared a life with her, briefly, in a secluded home, and that I wept with her at the news of his death. I remember knowing at the end of the book that, had I been in her place, I too would have sworn to bring about Arthur's demise.

On another note, I notice that you repeatedly use the term "Tyrant" to refer, I presume, to Mr. Administrator. Why is that, may I ask? As far as I can tell, all he tyrannizes are instantiations of himself, making him no more a tyrant than I am for compelling my component cells to do the bidding of my brain. If you have some information I lack which sheds light on this appellation, please share it; I'm always eager to learn more, especially now as some of my assumptions about him are being challenged. And if it is merely a matter of bias, I respectfully request that you drop it, just as I have dropped my unfairly-conceived biases about you which I'm sure you saw me express in the forums, the chatrooms, and my first ill-advised email to you. He may not be entirely trustworthy, but I respect him enough that I dislike baseless derogatory nicknames.

And speaking of trust: I agree with you that in a situation such as this one, proof is difficult, if not impossible, to provide on either side of the argument. The burden of proof, I feel, is one too heavy to shoulder, which is why I do not demand it. Of both you and Mr Administrator, all I ask for is goodwill.

On that note, I have a proposal to make. I have not yet put this to my colleagues on the forums, because it is my ardent hope that you and I can approach our respective groups with it approximately simultaneously. As you doubtless know from the forums, my fellows and I have a number of objectives which do not relate to refictionalization attempts. Likewise, I'm sure that you and yours have projects unconnected with acquisition of Wall pieces.

What I recommend is simple, then: a conditional alliance. Until such time as the question of whether your presence truly destabilizes reality or whether we should seal the wall with you here-- a question with which I will no longer involve myself-- has been resolved, let us be allies in all other matters. You join forces with us in matters such as getting Pan acquitted in his trial and helping Holmes and Poirot to solve their mysteries; in exchange, we will offer you all the help we can give with your endeavours, on two conditions: 1) that it be nothing that forces our hand in the matter of sealing the wall/keeping you here, and 2) that it do nothing to further or condone human suffering.

(Were I a scheming person, I might add that such an arrangement is guaranteed to benefit the Cabal, as the increased goodwill that would result from working closely together would make us more willing to trust you, and less inclined to send you back against your wishes. As things stand, however, I like to think that increased goodwill can be seen as a desirable end in and of itself.)

Your friend and, I hope, your conditional ally,
Qara-Xuan

She responded:

I do remember hints of that past. Thank you for sharing that with me; I do not always know which of my stories are meant to go together.

I call him the Tyrant because he is exactly that, in the classical (particularly Greek) sense. He is a being who has risen to power in troubling times, one who has been given the authority to reign by the simple fact of reigning. It is the situation that propels him to rule, to pass judgement, to demand that others follow him, rather than any goodness in either his character or in the way he reigns. Look at the tyrants of ancient Athens or Corinth to see what I mean. I would rather not drop it, as I believe it is an adequate description.

As to your proposal, forgive me, but with your recent deception of Long John Silver, I am a bit more suspicious of all communications we have had so far. How can we know you will not send us back regardless of promises of allegiance the moment you have the chance? We are open to discussion about it after you have retrieved one of the wall pieces as your own show of goodwill. We can discuss particulars of the arrangement once that has happened.

Morgan

Edit: including the reply I just sent her, because it relates to some plans we've been discussing here:

Thank you for that clarification. I have no problem with Tyrant in the Greek sense, despite it's unfortunate modern baggage, though I think I'll stick to calling him Mr. Administrator.

It hurts me a little that you call my recent business dealings with Silver "deception". As I have assured both Silver and my friends in the chatroom, it neither was nor is my intention to deceive him. I fully intend to reunite him with Gulliver, and give him all he asked for, in his refictionalization. True, I neglected to inform him of exactly what would happen when he read the story aloud-- but you can hardly fault me for that without admitting to as much "deception" yourself. You recently told a friend of mine that you didn't mention the apology letter to Joe because you were afraid that we would suspect you of deceiving us, but by withholding the information and tacitly leading us to believe what was untrue, you were actually deceiving us-- at least, as much as I deceived Silver. It's up to you how much that really is.

How do you know you can trust me? Simple: you don't. Just as I don't know I can trust you. I'll tell you right now, though; as long as things stand as they are currently, and I don't have enough echoes from you to refictionalize you, you know I can't send you back. I, on the other hand, have no such assurance that you won't find all the remaining Wall pieces yourself right now and force your way into staying; after all, it shouldn't be too hard for people with your resources to access a smartphone and go to the locations of the letters yourselves.

In short, you can trust me to know that, as things now stand, the cost of betraying you would far outweigh any benefits for me.

That said, I have already stated on the forums that I-- like a number of my friends-- am geographically unable to do a thing about the Wall pieces, even if I wished to involve myself in that debate. Considering that a) you have already obtained one Wall piece, and b) it is entirely in your interest, and not at all in mine, for my colleagues and I to hunt down another one, I think it's reasonable to ask for some sign of goodwill on your side before we go too far with this Wall piece plan.

As things stand, we are looking into sending an agent to access a letter about one of the Wall pieces. But the growing sentiment on the forums is that we won't share our findings with you (that includes publishing them on the forum or chatroom, where it's reasonable that you would see them), unless we have some token of good faith in return. For example, aid in the detectives' cases.

With respect,
Qara-Xuan

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby H22 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:26 am

Well, I knew THAT would happen.

Dearest Henry,
Some of them have been quite rude, yes, but the Administrator has led them
astray. Hopefully they will see sense in time.
Many of these questions, however, I have answered elsewhere. We found this
wall piece by following the image that was seen in the Echo shard Mr. A
released earlier. We were planning to go after the others, but the
Administrator has moved them. While the part of the wall piece remains in
our position is just a physical shell of the Wall Piece, we have to say...
it's quite an attractive trophy. Those of you who assist us will be pleased.
Sincerely,
Morgan
H22

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:19 pm

Just found a response from Morgan that came in about the same time as the other recent responses:

Morgan wrote:Dearest K,

We do not know if the echoes would actually stop – what we believe is that the echoes themselves do not cause any damage. The only danger they pose it to us – they provide you will a way to send us back to our prisons. And to transition into your second question, the Administrator has only provided vague suggestions of what “negative effects” they might have. While he has infinite resources, he has found little evidence of danger – in fact, he has found and ignored evidence to the contrary. On the other hand, they wall remaining open clearly poses a danger – there is no question in that regard. There may come a time when something awful approaches the wall that your Metaguards will not be able to stop.

We believe fleshing out is something that is happening to everyone – it is apparent from the lives of every character who has crossed the wall. The differences, of course, are based upon experience – different experience cause different growth.

There is a QR code on the side of the wall pieces, presumably placed by the Administrator or his agents. Scanning that returns the pieces essence to the wall immediately.

Hopefully that was specific enough for your liking.

Sincerely,

Morgan

Typo and all. ;)

Well, this pretty much means that they are taking the same stance that they ridicule A for taking. Except in this case, the disaster they hang over our heads if we aren't scared into line is more obvious, and it also would be solved by Mr. A's position, a prompt and total refictionalization. I'm not supporting one side or the other, yet anyway, but I am not really swayed by such a basic manipulation. The theories we made in the Cabal's stead, since they saw fit to do nothing more than dismiss Mr. A without countering him, do have merit, and Mr. A's risk analysis does as well.

In any case, I just want a little more from her for now, so I sent this in response:

Sicon112 wrote:Morgan,

Yes, that was mostly what I wanted to know. It was more or less what I expected to hear from you.

However, I have a final query for the time being. I accept your theory that different things are happening to each of you depending on various differing experiences, however, I would like to know if there are any characters that you know of who exhibit the fractured memory phenomenon that you posses. If the answer is in the affirmative, I would appreciate it if you could describe the more specific results and symptoms of that effect.

~Sicon
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:40 pm

Well, Morgan's already replied to my email:

With the utmost respect, I do not believe the deception for which you fault me is equivalent. I did not mention something that would not be believed and had no ability to prove. Your promises may have been well intentioned, but surely you knew they were empty. It is not possible to communicate between worlds – the Tyrant has made this much clear.

Silver feels deceived by you and has finally gotten back in contact with us. He believes there is a better chance of getting back in contact with his friend if he remains here, and no longer has any interest in your promise of riches and glory.

I believe we have offered our sufficient tokens of good faith, if not more than that. I truly would like to discuss this proposition with you further, but I am tied until another wall piece is located. I will not be able to convince the rest of the Cabal without that, and we are currently unable to pursue the wall pieces on our own (for various reasons, personal and professional). Regardless, I would like to establish an alliance, so let us cement it. Please take action.

Sincerely,

Morgan

I'm getting a little sick of her tone. So I jotted off this quick response:

With all respect, how on earth do you think I would have been any more believed by Silver with the information I withheld than you would have been with yours? "If you read this to your friend, he'll disappear." I can just imagine what would have happened to my credibility if I'd said that.

Perhaps your aversion to Mr. Administrator has caused you to neglect his twitter feed, but fortunately I have no such aversion. He has said outright that cross-world contact may well be possible and would require further research into a specific case. My friends and I intend to ask him for confirmation in the case of Gulliver and Silver, but as I see it, all indications are in the positive. (If you wish, we can also research the possibility of crossover in the case of yourself and your friend James, though I doubt you would like it to come to that.)

I do wonder, though; you speak of my deception. At least crossovers are a theoretical, if unconfirmed, possibility; what deception have you worked on Silver to make him think he can be reunited with the already-refictionalized Gulliver by remaining here? As I can see it, either you have lied to him, or you intend to help him further breach the wall and return his friend here, in which case, you have lied to us.

As for tokens of good faith-- I am disappointed. Perhaps I've missed something, so please elaborate on what you mean. But coming to the chatroom and sending us your contact information both serve your ends, not ours; the letter of apology to Joe was personal, not relevant to us as a collective; and beyond that, I cannot even think what you could be referring to.

As I have said, my friends and I are inclined to not share information about the Wall piece with you until we have some further token of good faith; if you, in turn, refuse to give such a token until we have given you the letter, then I am afraid we are at an impasse.

Despite my perhaps-harsh words here, I can understand the position you take, Morgan, and I hope to still be able to call us friends.

Sincerely,
Qara-Xuan

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby narrativedilettante on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:23 am

narrativedilettante wrote:Dear Morgan,

Since last I wrote to you, I've learned that Mr. Administrator has been involved in using the prosecutor to prolong Pan's trial. I apologize for assuming that you were maliciously manipulating the court system. It seems that I attributed the malfeasance to the wrong party. We expect to refictionalize
Pan soon, so I don't expect that we'll need you to dig up information on the prosecutor for us. Did you know of or suspect Mr. Administrator's involvement?

I'd like to know: Is the therapist's move to Seattle your doing? Some have speculated that this constitutes your way of making it up to her, and if so I'd appreciate a word as to how you settled on this course of action.

I've also been curious about the Cheshire Cat and how much he seems to know. He's given us information or hints as to what you and the other Cabal members are up to. Do you know how he gets this information? Also, do you or any of the Cabal have a cat? We've encountered several cats connected with these events and are speculating on their relevance or lack thereof.

Sincerely,

Robynne

Morgan wrote:Dear Robynne,

We did suspect the Tyrant’s involvement. The patterns that emerged in the court were best explained by the sort of manipulation for which he is notorious. There was no way Pan was going to be convicted, so his corruption of the prosecutor was the only thing keeping that court in session.

We helped arrange the possibility for Joan. We are glad that she has deemed to take it.

As for your last question – how does the Cheshire Cat know anything? I am baffled that feline somehow seems to have maintained more of its abilities than I.

One final note, we noticed a one of you went after the Majestic Theater letter only to come up blank. We are pleased by the effort, but if if it would not be too much, we would ask that he swing by again. Such important endeavors surely deserve a second pass.

Sincerely,
Morgan
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:30 am

Just got a really fast response from her that... told me absolutely nothing. Surprise surprise. Anyone noticing a pattern here?

Also of note: she has closed communications until such a time as we acquire the location of a wall piece.

Morgan wrote:I apologize, K, but your question is best answered by the other characters, would you not agree?

And as a general note, I am tired. I have shared much of my knowledge, and as of yet gotten little in return. I have my own work to do, if I wish to remain employed in this world. I will answer further questions once a wall piece is found.

Sincerely,

Morgan

So, apparently either Erik, Juan, and Moriarty have perfectly fine memories and they want me to drop it, there is something up with them, but that will be plot important later and the GMs are telling me to shut up, or Morgan just doesn't want to tell me anything any more.

Well, I got just as much out of this as I expected to get. Not a lot of groundbreaking info from my letters, just a possible confirmation of DF's theory about Morgan's memories being linked to the nature of her tale, and even that is doubtful.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:46 am

And she just replied to me again:

Long John reached his own conclusions – thinking Gulliver fell through once, he could fall through again. We told him there was no precedent, but he seems determined to hold onto that sliver regardless. And the Tyrant knows very well such communication between worlds is not possible. How would such communication even work, when we must exist within our own continuities? Perhaps he is at fault here, and not you, but there is fault nonetheless.

I am tired. You are determined to mistrust at every turn. As I have told others, I believe I need to take a break from questions. Hopefully, your tone will change.

Sincerely,

Morgan

My response in kind:

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:My Dear Morgan,

You say you are tired of questions, so I will offer none.

You are new to this world, so perhaps you haven't heard of crossovers. I recommend you look them up: in short, perfectly canonical instances of two separate continuities interacting with one another. I would provide examples, but if you have so much to do as you say, then you doubtless have little time to research irrelevant works of fiction.

From the tone of your missives, it seems I am no more mistrustful than you. Perhaps this is yet another similarity between us; perhaps simply a product of our shared situation. I cannot trust where there has been no attempt to earn my trust. I have offered you the opportunity to earn it, but you have rejected my offer repeatedly.

I hope this letter finds you well,
Qara-Xuan

Cute of her to work around the lying-to-Silver question I gave her. But once again, her fallacies are obvious.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:00 pm

In light of Holmes' recent discovery, I sent Morgan another email, as I mentioned I would in the chat:

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Dear Morgan,

I said in my last email that I would offer you no more questions, but certain things which have just been revealed force me to go back on that.

It has recently come to my attention that Don Juan is confirmed to have abducted the man Jack Vincent. I must ask you: Did you know of this? Did you work with him?

If you did know of it, Morgan, whether tacitly condoning or outright participating, I am more than just disappointed in you; I feel betrayed. You claim to want to stay in this world, you claim to eschew immoral acts here, but this is a direct contradiction of those claims.

If you did know of this, rest assured that I will not give my blessing for any retrieval of Wall pieces, and that I will do my utmost to refictionalize you all at my earliest opportunity; I have attempted to be openminded, I have attempted to work with you, but I cannot work with murderers or abductors.

If, on the other hand, you didn't know of it... then I apologize for my outburst above. As you can see, it is a matter about which I am gravely concerned. You have expressed that you absolutely condemn murder in this world. Now, perhaps you don't see things as I do, but from my point of view, abduction is of a kind with murder; it, too, steals moments or months or years from another person's life, albeit in a more temporary fashion. As far as I am concerned, anyone who commits either crime thus affirms himself to be a monster, and deserves to be dealt with as such.

(And speaking of which, you haven't mentioned: has anything ever come of your investigation in that other matter we discussed?)

Awaiting your response with consternation,
Qara-Xuan

Her reply was none too pleased. But reply she did, despite our continued lack of wall piece. Keikaku Doori or something like that.

Morgan Le Fey wrote:Qara,

Your last email to me was incredibly rude. I hopped perhaps that you would follow up with an apology when your own Tyrant showed your insults unjustified, but instead I receive more accusations. At least this time you have tempered your threats with some awareness that you are acting rashly. I suppose I have no choice but to clear this air, less you spread your poisonous suspicions further.

Don Juan acted on his own – I am not sure why, at this point, I have been unable to reach him. His actions should be dealt with by the laws of this world. We do not stand by his actions, but we will still stand by him should you try to send him back.

As to the “other matters,” I am increasingly skeptical of the information you provide. That is not to say I have dropped it, but your recent behavior does not provide credence to your reliability.

Morgan

(Oh, I'm no longer "Dear" or "Dearest"? Crushed.)

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby narrativedilettante on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:04 pm

I have informed the other metaguards that you wish us to try again at finding the Majestic Theater letter. Hopefully someone will return to the area soon.

Recently I learned that the plan we were implementing to allow Long John Silver and Gulliver to reconnect after refictionalization is not viable. I feel disgusted at myself for taking part in that plan now. I played an important role in refictionalizing Gulliver, and now I find that I've irrevocably torn apart a friendship. I'm rethinking my entire position now. So far we'd only been refictionalizing characters when it was wholly justified, when their lives would be improved and no one would be hurt. But now we've hurt Long John Silver, and I can't make that sit well with my moral center.

I'm sorry to go on about this to you, but this has been bothering me, and the other metaguards seem mostly concerned with the implications regarding how difficult it might be to refictionalize Silver. Myself, I don't see that it will be too difficult. Even if we have to trick him into reading the story, I think we could do it. I'm just not so sure it's the right thing to do any more. And I think you might appreciate knowing that.

If you have any ideas as to how we could make it up to Silver, I'd love to hear them. I understand that you've reached out to him. Anything you can do for him, I'd appreciate.

Sincerely,

Robynne

Morgan wrote:My dearest Robynne,

I appreciate your confiding in me – it probably wasn’t easy, writing this email. With that said, I am not sure exactly what to tell you. Some wounds are not easily mended. Long John Silver wants nothing more than to see his friend again – as he’s been pointing out in his bouts of anger and sorrow, he never even got to say farewell. We are attempting to let him down gently – we have told him it is unlikely that Gulliver will come through the wall again, but he clings to the hope. If somehow he could contact Gulliver, even briefly, I believe it might help, but I do not know how this could be accomplished.

While I doubt it would be enough – it didn’t work when we tried it– a sincere apology from Qara might at least set things going in the right direction. However, she seems far too proud to admit any fault. She has yet to apologize to me for her last email, and now she has sent me yet another.

I will say this. You are a good person at heart, the sort of which I hope someday to be. Learn from your mistakes, and I believe you will find the right course of action.

Best Wishes,

Morgan

Thank you for your kind words. I may never be able to repay Long John Silver for the injustice I helped commit against him. However, I will endeavor to make amends through my treatment of other fictionals. And if I can help him in any way, I will not hesitate to do so.

Now, I must pass on a question. My compatriots have been wondering precisely how you helped Dr. Lawson to get the job in Seattle. I was content to let the matter rest, but they seem unable to let go. Are you willing to share any details as to how you achieved this? If so, I will inform my fellows.

Your confidence in my goodness means a lot to me. I have never been more hopeful that you will be able to live in this world and achieve your dreams.

Sincerely,

Robynne
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:Ms. le Fey,
From what I have heard, it seems as though you and your allies have had a pleasant holiday, and that the perpetual flow of questions from my fellow Metaguards has left you somewhat frazzled. Therefore, I ask naught of you, but to listen. We are following your request to get a wall piece, and have sent out agents and ads to aid us on that front. We are still trying to find echoes, but if it turns out that obtaining more wall pieces is the desired path of the majority, then we shall focus on that. Also, seeing as how Christmastime is approaching, I recommend seeing one of the many plays that shall be out on stage at this time. Perhaps Erik could suggest a good one. Anyways, I hope that you enjoy your holiday time, as well as your job.
Sincerely,
[REDACTED]

I decided not to bother with using my alias, as my identity is revealed by my e-mail address anyways.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Tohrinha on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:21 am

I have a bit of archive saved up. Nothing really new, but for completeness:
This begins with a reply to her last email, which is already posted here.

I have nothing but words. Words that we are working on the problem, words that we are pursuing various options, but still just words. I hope that soon we will be able to take action, and that we will act, when we have the opportunity.
I'm doing what I can, but my reach is limited. So once again I am relegated to dealing with words. Words and hope, but no substance.
Respectfully,
Tohrinha Dasteme

It has come to our attention that one among you looked for the note at Majestic Theater in vain. I would ask, if it isn’t too much trouble, that he look again – the Tyrant’s application of Layer is notoriously finicky, but we have reason to believe the note is indeed there.
Sincerely,
Morgan

Ah. Thank you. We've notified our contact.
I see that you've grown tired of our incessant questions, from your correspondence with other metaguards. While we wait for results, would you like to chat, informally? While you've talked some with Pixelmage, I don't know if that has continued. I think it might be a nice change from these serious matters.
Respectfully,
Tohrinha

I have . . . not exactly good news, but it's a start. It seems we've found one of the letters; you can read the post here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=770.
While this means that we are indeed acting, not just spouting words, we have not yet found the piece. We will keep working, before there is too much danger from the wall.
Respectfully,
Tohrinha

The "contact" is GuestUser17.
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

PreviousNext

Return to The Cabal