Discussion of E-mails to and from the Cabal

"If you leave us in peace, we will do you no harm. If you wish to join us, we will set a chair at our table and work to our mutual benefit. If you work against us, we will have no choice but to retaliate."

[RIP Morgan, Erik, and Juan 26 Dec 2012]
[Moriarty refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Re: Discussion of E-mails to and from the Cabal

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:37 pm

She's also not remembering specific stories, just things that recur a lot. You'll notice in her email to me she doesn't remember the version of her life from the Nancy Springer story. (Course, neither do I atm... the feeling it left me with has lasted better across ten years than the events themselves.)
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
WackyMeetsPractical wrote:So reading Morganna's words about the way she lives through multiple retellings of her stories, I can't help but feel partially justified for my stance on the way character's live their lives despite multiple people here telling me how foolish such thinking was, and called me outright wrong despite very little evidence to back that up. So *smug face* 8-)

But I'm also sort of bothered by the differences between Morganna's recollection of her former life and the way the other fictionals have portrayed themselves. I think ultimately we have to accept that there isn't going to be any consistency here. That every fictional is different. Each of these fictionals have their own unique pasts and different ways of viewing them.

Morgan is not claiming that she lives her story every time it is read, she is claiming she is aware of all AU versions of herself, which is strange, but not what you were talking about before.

I admit, it isn't exactly what I had imagined, but pretty darn close. The fact that she has had to live the same events and defeats multiple times is related, at least. The fact that she doesn't just live through one linear time line like you and everyone else has been guessing also matches my own theory. I just feel vindicated, because everyone's been trying to convince me that I was crazy for not believing the linear timeline theory simply because of wormholes (which still makes no sense to me).
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:50 pm

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:
WackyMeetsPractical wrote:So reading Morganna's words about the way she lives through multiple retellings of her stories, I can't help but feel partially justified for my stance on the way character's live their lives despite multiple people here telling me how foolish such thinking was, and called me outright wrong despite very little evidence to back that up. So *smug face* 8-)

But I'm also sort of bothered by the differences between Morganna's recollection of her former life and the way the other fictionals have portrayed themselves. I think ultimately we have to accept that there isn't going to be any consistency here. That every fictional is different. Each of these fictionals have their own unique pasts and different ways of viewing them.

Morgan is not claiming that she lives her story every time it is read, she is claiming she is aware of all AU versions of herself, which is strange, but not what you were talking about before.

I admit, it isn't exactly what I had imagined, but pretty darn close. The fact that she has had to live the same events and defeats multiple times is related, at least. The fact that she doesn't just live through one linear time line like you and everyone else has been guessing also matches my own theory. I just feel vindicated, because everyone's been trying to convince me that I was crazy for not believing the linear timeline theory simply because of wormholes (which still makes no sense to me).

No, it seems she did live through a linear time line within her original verse and then live through another linear timeline in every AU, but bits and pieces of each timeline are falling into place. This could be caused by the leakage from the wall, since characters bring their stories with them. This isn't at all what I was talking about before, which is that characters live through their stories every time you re-read them. That would imply that we were messing with the time of other universes by reading a book in this one, which is the part I said was inconsistent.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:58 pm

I think the implication is that different "her"s lived through each of them simultaneously, in alternate universes. But now (since in this world it's functionally irrelevant which AU she's from-- since we're split from them along the sixth, not the fifth, to all intents and purposes she's ALL of them), her mind is having difficulty straightening out which set of memories is *hers*. So it's fluctuating, and she REMEMBERS experiencing all of them, even though any given Morgana only experienced it once.

Also, in that case, it KIND OF makes sense that she would have this while none of the others do, because her story is... well, it's legend. It's been told and re-told so many times that she's got lots of AUs. Whereas some of the others, like Gulliver, were probably never rewritten at all; some of their adaptations, like the Witch's, don't really deviate that much from the original material, so there's not too much to get confused about; and some of their adaptations are SO different, like Holmes, that they either don't really qualify as his story anymore, or they do, but it's impossible to get confused.

...I have no idea if what I just said makes sense. My brain is stuffed with cotton balls and I'm procrastinating on my essay.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:I think the implication is that different "her"s lived through each of them simultaneously, in alternate universes. But now (since in this world it's functionally irrelevant which AU she's from-- since we're split from them along the sixth, not the fifth, to all intents and purposes she's ALL of them), her mind is having difficulty straightening out which set of memories is *hers*. So it's fluctuating, and she REMEMBERS experiencing all of them, even though any given Morgana only experienced it once.

Also, in that case, it KIND OF makes sense that she would have this while none of the others do, because her story is... well, it's legend. It's been told and re-told so many times that she's got lots of AUs. Whereas some of the others, like Gulliver, were probably never rewritten at all; some of their adaptations, like the Witch's, don't really deviate that much from the original material, so there's not too much to get confused about; and some of their adaptations are SO different, like Holmes, that they either don't really qualify as his story anymore, or they do, but it's impossible to get confused.

...I have no idea if what I just said makes sense. My brain is stuffed with cotton balls and I'm procrastinating on my essay.

Yeah, that was exactly what I've been trying to say since my e-mail exchange.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:07 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:Also, in that case, it KIND OF makes sense that she would have this while none of the others do, because her story is... well, it's legend. It's been told and re-told so many times that she's got lots of AUs. Whereas some of the others, like Gulliver, were probably never rewritten at all; some of their adaptations, like the Witch's, don't really deviate that much from the original material, so there's not too much to get confused about; and some of their adaptations are SO different, like Holmes, that they either don't really qualify as his story anymore, or they do, but it's impossible to get confused.

This explanation is kind of muddled, but along the lines of what I was thinking. The other stories we're dealing with all have one specific canon. Though there are adaptations and retellings of all of them, we can point to a particular work and say "That's the original, so this must be the specific version of the character we're dealing with."

Arthurian legend is so old that there is no one version we can say is the original, no one author to whom we can attribute its creation, no one canon we can claim is the official one. I can easily believe that Morgan's existence has been confused and mixed up, full of repeated events and inconsistencies.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:07 pm

Okay, so I really want to write Morganna back and find out what the status is on their making amends with Joe and Joan, however I feel like I need to give her some suggestions on how she could help Joe, like she asked. So let's brainstorm.

What, in addition to issuing an official apology and giving Joe their assurances that he is safe, can the Cabal do to make things up to him? Throw him a party? Help him move? Give him a gift? Oh! I got it! For every threatening letter they sent to Joe, they must each write an apology letter. Or would that just be too cruel.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Pixelmage on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:21 pm

One letter for one letter. It's karmic. That idea is funny if nothing else. :)
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Buy him a puppy. And more puppies. For every threatening letter, buy him a puppy. If they run out of puppies, they can get him some kittens.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:36 pm

I feel like something along the lines of "Buying him a new, better house" might be called for.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:39 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:I feel like something along the lines of "Buying him a new, better house" might be called for.

A house filled with puppies!
...Okay, I'll stop now. But yeah, a written, contrite apology would be a start. And reimbursement for all expenses incurred as a result of him running away from their threats.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:58 pm

Silly mode on
Fill his house with playpen balls.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Adell on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:40 pm

On Topic Mode On.

:x
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Victin on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:43 pm

I think I may write my e-mail today, but I can't think of relevant topics. Any thoughts?
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:11 am

So I just made a proposal to Morgana/the Cabal.

Laconic: I want to join forces on anything that's totally unrelated to the refic/wallpiece controversy. (In other words, directly enlisting their help with Pan and Holmes/Poirot in exchange for helping them with a couple of sidequests.)

Assuming they go for it, anyone on board with this?

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby S_o_S on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:38 am

Considering Mr. A's latest tweets imply that he's got some guilt in the Pan Trial, I'm in.
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby Scarab on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:53 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:So I just made a proposal to Morgana/the Cabal.

Laconic: I want to join forces on anything that's totally unrelated to the refic/wallpiece controversy. (In other words, directly enlisting their help with Pan and Holmes/Poirot in exchange for helping them with a couple of sidequests.)

Sounds interetsing, I think it's worth asking to see where it goes. It would be one way for them to attempt and prove their reformation and at the very least... Moriarty IS still one of the greatest minds in the world, better to have him with us, on at least one instance, than against us all the way.

Still don't trust them worth a jot, but hey, I was one of the first in the group that decided to go for the collect-a-single-wall-piece theory, so I can't exactly talk.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:05 am

Well, in that case we could even benefit from our wall piece plan. Taking it there.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby H22 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:42 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:So I just made a proposal to Morgana/the Cabal.

I have actually already suggested an agreement when it comes to the detectives, and I'm not entirely sure they'll agree to actively HELP them, but I think it's a brilliant idea. I think we might be able to enlist them when it comes to John and Gulliver, too. After almost exactly 72 hours, Morgan STILL hasn't replied to my email; however, her previous one was very friendly. I think we have an excellent chance.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby H22 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:45 pm

150 hours and counting… This is seriously getting annoying, GMs. Any time you want to reply, feel free. It's coming on for a week.
H22

Postby Tohrinha on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:21 pm

H22 wrote:150 hours and counting… This is seriously getting annoying, GMs. Any time you want to reply, feel free. It's coming on for a week.

She's back! :)
Last edited by Tohrinha on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby H22 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Who is she and why is she back?
H22

Postby Tohrinha on Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:47 pm

H22 wrote:Who is she and why is she back?

Morgan's back. She's responding to emails again.
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Morganna's replied to my e-mail, and in it she revealed the reason she hadn't mentioned the letter sooner, and it was about what I had suspected. It doesn't really prove whether the note was sincere, but it seems enough for me.

She seems boggled by my willingness to trust Mr. A, on the basis of him apparently not being human. I really don't know how to answer this. It may be because of his lack of humanness that I trust him. I mean, humans let us down. Mr. A may not understand us or the way we work, but he also seems to have all his stuff together. Maybe it's us that needs to learn how to understand him and his ways. I don't really know. But like I told Morganna in my e-mail to her, he's the only one who hasn't disappointed me so far. He's behaved exactly the way I thought he should.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:29 pm

So I just heard back from Morgan... looks like the fallout from my LJS plan isn't over. Fortunately, her objections on that front are even more easily dealt with than his, especially considering some other things she's said recently. Working on my reply now.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

PreviousNext

Return to The Cabal