Refictionalization: James Moriarty

"If you leave us in peace, we will do you no harm. If you wish to join us, we will set a chair at our table and work to our mutual benefit. If you work against us, we will have no choice but to retaliate."

[RIP Morgan, Erik, and Juan 26 Dec 2012]
[Moriarty refictionalized 16 Dec 2012]

Refictionalization: James Moriarty

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Well, we've got both his echoes. So presumably, once we identify the tropes, we can write refics with impunity.

Edit: the trope for the new echo is confirmed to be Berserk Button.

The Wall Piece echo trope is confirmed to be Ancient Artifact.

The deadline for submissions is Friday Dec 14th at 11:59 pm EST.

And I assume the specificity is to avoid the problems we had previously of "which midnight".
Last edited by Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:33 am, edited 5 times in total.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Re: Refictionalization/Blackmail: Moriarty

Postby Victin on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:20 pm

Why blackmail?
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:22 pm

Victin wrote:Why blackmail?

Well, if we don't push the refic through right away, we can use this thread for... something else. Of course-- *dramatic sigh, pointed glance at the Cabal*-- Blackmail is such an ugly word...

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Hey hey hey! Aren't you forgetting something?

The Cabal's collective echo is attributed to Moriarty! So, he has two echoes! What's the trope for the other echo? Rousing Speech? MacGuffin?
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:31 pm

Aw darn you're right. derp.

Maybe Rousing Speech? I'll ask A.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:14 pm

Also, I have an idea for a delivery method (actually, his trope helped me come up with it...).

I won't discuss it on the forums, for obvious reasons, but if you ask me in the chatroom I'll explain the plan.

Edit: A asked me to email him my plan. If I don't hear from anyone on the matter within an hour or so, I will do so (I'd rather make sure it's a *good* plan before I email him, which is why I'm holding off for some more opinions first).

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:27 pm

Well, the idea is that the cabal shouldn't be aware...
So, let's just post their refics here. Openly. Randomly.

They browse our forum, they may hit one and boom. They are gone. xD That risk is simply too much for them, so if we agree to that, they simply won't DARE read our threads. Otherwise they might accidentally vanish. ;)

No need for secrecy anymore, because they'll be cut off from reading our open discussions.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:30 pm

Yeah, so... like I said in the chatroom, there are two big problems with this plan, and they are named Morgana and Erik. Neither of them have enough discovered echoes for refic yet, which means they have nothing to fear reading our forums. Even if they hit on a Moriarty or Juan refic-- with elephants; they don't have to read it aloud.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:42 pm

I don't expect them to be refictionalized by that. I just hope that the risk of it is enough to scare them away.

In the same way the risk of the world ending if we don't send them away is making us do that. I emailed Morgan to let her know. If it works, we have no more need for secrecy, if it does not, well, nothing was lost we carry on as originally intended. ;)
Pixelmage

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Pixelmage wrote:I don't expect them to be refictionalized by that. I just hope that the risk of it is enough to scare them away.

Again: there is no reason for them to be scared of the risk, when they KNOW that we don't have Morgana or Erik refics to seed around the forums, at least not yet. Maybe once we've gotten the remaining echoes, MAYBE that will be a consideration. But for now I don't see any reason why they'd be scared away.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:03 pm

As foreseen by Qara. It'll not be enough. Therefore, carry on as if nothing had happened. ;)
Pixelmage

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:12 pm

I also said there's another inherent problem with this. They can see that it's a refic and stop reading it. If we follow the common sense, that's possible. If they are compelled to finish reading / listening to their refic if they listen to the beginning, then that plan may work. I asked Mr. A if that's the case, but I haven't received a conclusive answer yet. This is the closest I got.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:23 am

anyway....
I vote against blackmailing Moriarty.

A bit low, blackmailing someone, even when it is moriarty.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby BlackWolfe on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:42 am

eli_gone_crazy wrote:anyway....
I vote against blackmailing Moriarty.

A bit low, blackmailing someone, even when it is moriarty.

I vote against for an entirely different reason. Moriarty is dangerous. He would not respond well to blackmail. He would not bow under pressure.
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
BlackWolfe

Postby Dryunya on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Would anyone explain how you'd blackmail Moriarty with his refic? :?

Wacky said it all.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Dryunya

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:28 pm

I vote against blackmailing Moriarty because...I don't know what that means. I mean, what is it we want from him, other than to send him back? It's not like we need any information from him. Don Juan already revealed where all the echoes are, as well as where the Cabal members live. So what is there to blackmail? Maybe something will come up later, but, if that's the case, why are we even voting for it now. It makes no sense.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Blurred_9L on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:39 pm

Guys, we need to decide soon: the deadline is this friday one minute before midnight. (Overly specific, who cares? :P )

Here
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Victin on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:41 pm

Blurred_9L wrote:Guys, we need to decide soon: the deadline is this friday one minute before midnight. (Overly specific, who cares? :P )

Here

Overly specific would be 11:59:32:87
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby JackAlsworth on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Victin wrote:Overly specific would be 11:59:32:87

"OH, I'M SORRY. YOU APPEAR TO HAVE SUBMITTED YOUR REFIC AT ELEVEN HOURS, FIFTY-NINE MINUTES, THIRTY-TWO SECONDS, AND EIGHT HUNDRED SEVENTY-ONE MILLISECONDS, SO YOUR STORY IS INVALID. BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME."

Okay, okay, I'm done derailing now. :)
JackAlsworth

Postby Dryunya on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:46 pm

I believe that the specific time is meant to stop us from asking "which midnight". Now we know for sure that it's friday-to-saturday midnight.

On a side note, do you mind if I rename the thread to just 'refictionalization'? The blackmail thing is misleading (and ugly ;) ).
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:32 pm

Dryunya wrote:I believe that the specific time is meant to stop us from asking "which midnight". Now we know for sure that it's friday-to-saturday midnight.

On a side note, do you mind if I rename the thread to just 'refictionalization'? The blackmail thing is misleading (and ugly ;) ).

Yeah, I only put "/blackmail" in because I knew some people weren't sure about REFIC'ING the Cabal, and since I couldn't think of any better option to list, thought I'd have a laugh with 'blackmail'. Apparently the joke wasn't obvious, so... yeah.

Done. ~D

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Re: Refictionalization: James Moriarty

Postby Mr. Administrator on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:52 pm

A REVIEW HAS BEEN CONDUCTED ABOUT THE QUESTIONS WE HAVE BEEN ASKED.

IT IS UNCLEAR TO US WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF TWO STORIES ABOUT THE SAME CHARACTERS CONTRADICTED EACH OTHER. THERE IS DISAGREEMENT AS TO WHETHER THIS WOULD CREATE AN INSTABILITY IN THE WORLD, OR IF THE TWO STORIES WOULD EXIST SUPERIMPOSED OVER EACH OTHER IN A QUANTUM STATE. WE WILL CONTINUE OUR INVESTIGATION.

HOWEVER, SINCE IT IS POSSIBLE WE WILL NOT KNOW THE ANSWER BEFORE YOUR STORIES ARE DUE, YOU SHOULD REGARD THIS AS AN ACADEMIC DISTRACTION AND COMPLETE YOUR STORIES AS YOU WILL.

AS ALWAYS, THE BEST WAY OF ENSURING A FIC'S SUCCESS IS SIMPLY TO WRITE IT WELL. THERE IS NOTHING MORE YOU CAN DO.
Mr. Administrator

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:31 pm

...Okay, now I'm leaning toward Dismantled MacGuffin (can't remember who suggested it before...) for the Wall Piece echo trope...

I just wish I KNEW so I could WRITE the thing, since apparently I'm going to have to try my hand at this one... >_<

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:11 am

Mr. A has confirmed the second trope to be the Ancient Artifact. Though I gotta admit, the story of Moriarty going after a Cosmic Keystone has every chance to be epic. :D

My thought about the contradicting stories: considering that H&M don't share the echoes like R&J, I believe they will be tucked into different universes. There was a belief that they are from different adaptations, after all.
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Okay, in case this isn't obvious to anyone who WANTED to have M&M reconnect in their refic, Ancient Artifact has a lot of opportunities for that if it's, you know, a Morgan-related artifact (which would qualify as ancient, I believe). Just throwing that out there.

And I'll be sending in my refic for this one in a couple hours, I guess.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Next

Return to The Cabal