LAYAR TECHNICAL SUPPORT

"By their very nature they leave behind Echoes, soft spots where their tropeish behavior weakens the boundary between fiction and reality."

LAYAR TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Postby Mr. Administrator on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:29 pm

THIS THREAD IS FOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT FOR THE ECHO LAYAR. WE COMMANDEERED THE TOOL TO HELP FURTHER THE RE-FICTIONALIZATION PROCESS.

BASIC INFORMATION ON USE CAN BE FOUND HERE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J6AHT4u7H0&feature=plcp

LAYAR REALITY BROWSER CAN BE FOUND HERE: http://www.layar.com/

WE WILL NOTIFY YOU WHEN WE DETECT ACTIVITY THAT COULD LEAD TO ECHOS IN THE REAL WORLD. FOR NOW, WE RECOMMEND YOU PRIME THE APP, AND STAY ALERT. ANY QUESTIONS CAN BE DIRECTED HERE.
Mr. Administrator

Re: LAYAR TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Postby Adell on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:51 pm

An App? welp I'm no help there. My phone can barely make calls and texts. :oops:
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Sorry Mr. A, but we will not carry it out immediately. We need to ask one thing- who has a smartphone?
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Just3Observing on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:53 pm

What is it available for? And, do we simply aim it around in general simply looking?
Please. Don't mind me. I'm just here to watch and help out where I can. Don't expect too much though.
Just3Observing

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:57 pm

Well, my tablet can handle the app, but it's a wi-fi only model, meaning it' can't pop up this app outdoors.
Unless it'll work by scanning books and whatnot I can't really help. Besides, I'm in brazil. Not likely to get an field event somewhere I can reach.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:59 pm

Cmon, Mr. A. I don't' even have a PHONE let alone a SMART PHONE.

I suppose I could steal my mom's tablet for a while, but I don't think she would take that well.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Mr. Administrator on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:59 pm

Just3Observing wrote:What is it available for? And, do we simply aim it around in general simply looking?

LAYAR IS AVAILABLE ON IDEVICES AND ANDROID.

WHEN YOU BOOT UP THE LAYAR CLOSE ENOUGH TO A POINT OF INTEREST, THE APP WILL NOTIFY YOU OF THE NEARBY ECHOS. POINT AT THE ECHO AND TAP IT TO RETRIEVE THE DATA.

WE RECOMMEND CHECKING http://www.layar.com/ FOR BASIC INFORMATION ON THE APP.
Last edited by Mr. Administrator on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Administrator

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:00 am

Mr. Administrator wrote:
Just3Observing wrote:What is it available for? And, do we simply aim it around in general simply looking?

LAYAR IS AVAILABLE ON IPHONE AND ANDROID.

WHEN YOU BOOT UP THE LAYAR CLOSE ENOUGH TO A POINT OF INTEREST, THE APP WILL NOTIFY YOU OF THE NEARBY ECHOS. POINT AT THE ECHO AND TAP IT TO RETRIEVE THE DATA.

So basically, I can't do sh*t. Again. *sigh* Whatever. I'll just go back into my hikikomori cave now.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Adell on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:03 am

It's alright Sicon, you're better off gambiting off the info we get anyway. I'm in the same boat as you, unfortunately.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Just3Observing on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:05 am

Sicon112 wrote:
Mr. Administrator wrote:

LAYAR IS AVAILABLE ON IPHONE AND ANDROID.

So basically, I can't do sh*t. Again. *sigh* Whatever. I'll just go back into my hikikomori cave now.

Seems simple enough. Two more quick questions: Do we need one of these "Geo Layers" or is it a part of the app when we download it? Question 2: What will the "echos" look like?
Please. Don't mind me. I'm just here to watch and help out where I can. Don't expect too much though.
Just3Observing

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:11 am

If I understand correctly, It can scan images. Perhaps there's a workaround the outdoors thing... I'll install it and give it a shot...

Maybe it's possible to photograph the echo and upload here so one of the players with Layar-capable devices can scan it. Not sure if that works, but it's worth testing...

Though that would mean knowing beforehand where the echoes are.
Pixelmage

Postby Mr. Administrator on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:16 am

Just3Observing wrote:Seems simple enough. Two more quick questions: Do we need one of these "Geo Layers" or is it a part of the app when we download it? Question 2: What will the "echos" look like?

TAP "LAYARS" AND SEARCH FOR THE ONE TITLED "ECHO" WITH A PICTURE OF OUR FACE. YOU CAN LAUNCH THE VIEWER FROM THERE. THIS LINK MAY ALSO BE USEFUL: http://layar.it/TIlVKr

AS FOR WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE... YOU WILL KNOW THEM WHEN YOU SEE THEM.

Pixelmage wrote:Though that would mean knowing beforehand where the echoes are.

THE FICTIONALS WILL UNDOUBTEDLY POINT TO THEIR LOCATION. WE WILL ASSIST YOU IN IDENTIFYING POTENTIAL LEADS IN THIS REGARD.
Mr. Administrator

Postby Just3Observing on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:23 am

Mr. Administrator wrote:TAP "LAYARS" AND SEARCH FOR THE ONE TITLED "ECHO" WITH A PICTURE OF OUR FACE. YOU CAN LAUNCH THE VIEWER FROM THERE. THIS LINK MAY ALSO BE USEFUL: http://layar.it/TIlVKr

AS FOR WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE... YOU WILL KNOW THEM WHEN YOU SEE THEM.

Alright. Seems pretty simple. I'll keep an eye on things near where I live. I'll follow any leads that I can.
Just3Observing

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:28 am

I really, really wish I had a smartphone or any sort of device that could do this. Of course, I have been meaning to buy one.

Tell me, Mr. A, would one still be able to locate these Echoes on a device that doesn't have access to the satellite network? That is, would using a tablet work just as well as using a phone?
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:30 am

I'm out. The Echo Layar can't be reached from a brazillian connection.
I assume this is the issue:

Countries
Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, United Kingdom, United States of America

It's on the http://layar.it/TIlVKr page Mr. A posted.

I'll be useless on this one.
Pixelmage

Postby Guyshane on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:27 am

Right I have an iPhone. I'll get on this
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby DAcriznips on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:50 am

Despite my absence, I have been keeping watch and this is good chance for me to actually do something since I have an android, so I'm in.

This just got a whole lot more interesting. 8-)
The World is Quiet Here
DAcriznips

Postby Dryunya on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:27 am

Mr. Administrator wrote:LAYAR IS AVAILABLE ON IDEVICES AND ANDROID.

Countries
Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, United Kingdom, United States of America

Seriously!? :x :x :evil:

No, really. No Java and no Russia. Guys, that's just mean. :cry:
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby JRPictures on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:48 am

Well then I could help out being in Australia and all but the closest thing to an iPod is my sister's old one which has no camera. so I'm pretty much out on this one.

But kudos on this new way to make the ARG more interactive and interesting. Also nice job with the password: :gurt:
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.twwf.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Platitudinous on Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:54 am

Hw convenient that I just so happen to have a smartphone. I'll be ready to assist whenever I see something suspicious.
Platitudinous

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:57 am

Urgh, damn it, something ELSE I can't help out with :( My phone is an ancient brick, the cleverest thing I can do with it is take grainy pictures.

But I'll tell you something, I must have dropped that brick about fifty times and it has NOT BROKEN YET I bet if it were an iPhone it'd be in pieces by now.

Mister A. Might there be a way for people who only have a home internet connection to help in this part of the quest?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Victin on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:01 am

Well, damn :evil:
I can't help again :(
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Scarab on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:07 am

Victin wrote:Well, damn :evil:
I can't help again :(

Join the club, man.

For the first time in possibly my whole life I'm actually considering getting an iPhone... Shame it's impossible.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:15 am

Dryunya wrote:Seriously!? :x :x :evil:

Er, um, I'm so sorry, Madame Administrator, I.. I... was not myself today. I'm very sorry, please don't yell at me. :oops:
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby RotavatoR on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:25 am

I say we contact some other people. Either on tvtropes or in groups of friends.
RotavatoR

Next

Return to Echoes