Finding the wall pieces

"By their very nature they leave behind Echoes, soft spots where their tropeish behavior weakens the boundary between fiction and reality."

Re: Finding the wall pieces

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:41 pm

GuestUser17 is a know Unfiction user... So, not likely that he's a GM device... He could really be Batman, and since he hasn't shown himself since a good while ago, maybe he just got bored of the ARG and left.

Even if he's still around, I don't think we should count on his network to solve this issue.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Scarab on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:49 pm

Pixelmage wrote:GuestUser17 is a know Unfiction user... So, not likely that he's a GM device... He could really be Batman, and since he hasn't shown himself since a good while ago, maybe he just got bored of the ARG and left.

Even if he's still around, I don't think we should count on his network to solve this issue.

Agreed. There's got to be another way...
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby H22 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:03 pm

There was some speculation, mainly based on his name. I was just thinking through the list of Obtainers of Those Echos, and remambered Batman. Is there any reason fir the Wall Pieces to be at those echoes? Is there ANYONE else remotely near any echoes?
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby S_o_S on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:28 pm

If anyone has Peter Parker's number, now would be a good time to call it.
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby H22 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:46 am

M
Last edited by H22 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
H22

Postby Pixelmage on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:52 am

Third topic, same message. -.-'
He removed the pieces from their starting positions. Not from all reach. We can find the letters where the pieces were and that will lead to their new position.
Pixelmage

Postby GuestUser17 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:42 pm

I was asked on Twitter if I could lend a hand with this so I sent someone to walk around New York again. They started at the Majestic but there was no sign of any echo. From there they could see the one at Duffy Square which was still showing a spinning Mr.A and lead to the same comic book page. They then went up to the plaza hotel and saw the same thing again. No pieces of the wall. No letters. Should I try any other locations?
GuestUser17
Meta-Dark Knight

Postby narrativedilettante on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:11 pm

I asked Mr. A to confirm/deny whether a wall piece had been at the Majestic Theater, and he was reticent, so I don't know what's up with the letters. Maybe they aren't there, or maybe there wasn't one at that location, or maybe there was a technical problem. Unfortunately I can't think of a non-meta way to get past technical issues in this case.

EDIT: Morgan has, in an email, informed me that we should investigate the Majestic Theater again.
Last edited by narrativedilettante on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby H22 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:09 pm

This ad is going on Gumtree when I can fiddle about and get it free.

Re: Saving Reality
This is, admittedly, a very strange request. I, and scores of others, are playing an Alternative Reality Game by the name of The Wall Will Fall. Details can be found here; http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/A ... llWillFall. To stop reality from collapsing, we desperately need someone to get to King's Cross Station, North London. All we need you to do is go to the famous bookshop at Platform 9 and 3/4 with a smartphone or tablet with Internet, open the app 'Layar', start 'Echo Layar' and look for a black-and-white lower-face male photo. British rail connections being what they are, when you're waiting two and a half hours for a train stuck at Aylesbury, this is something you could stroll over and look at for which we would all be unbelievably grateful.
REWARD: Well, saving reality, obviously. And a certificate, as well as an Amazon gift voucher.

Spambots, stalkers &c: Not my real email. I had so much fun lying on the application; I'm now a 112-year-old Aaland Islander whose full name is 'HD'.

UPD1: They banned me from URLs or emails, so I did some circumlocution about searching on TV Tropes.
Last edited by H22 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H22

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:31 pm

You know, getting the letter and Wall piece might HELP collapse reality. Just sayin'. But not arguing with you on this.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:40 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:You know, getting the letter and Wall piece might HELP collapse reality. Just sayin'. But not arguing with you on this.

You think we might get more responses if we ask them to help us destroy reality? Just a thought. I'd certainly go for it.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby H22 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:You know, getting the letter and Wall piece might HELP collapse reality. Just sayin'. But not arguing with you on this.

I know, Q, but 'DESTROY REALITY' isn't quite as eloquent.
H22

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:43 pm

Honestly, at this point, we need people. So, let the guy try out his idea.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:14 am

*Sigh*

Between GuestBatman and H's ad, we're bound to get one soon whether I like it or not.
So let's just all be agreed-- when someone DOES get a wallpiece letter, PLEASE make sure to edit out the location information before putting it up. That way we'll still have it (or you'll still have it, anyway, and can PM it to whomever you please), but we won't have given the Cabal a free pass to destroying reality.

Agreed? Thanks.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby H22 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:34 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:*Sigh*

Between GuestBatman and H's ad, we're bound to get one soon whether I like it or not.

[/sarcasm] So glad to be of assistance. [/sarcasm]

UPD: The ad is live. Gumtree - Community - Lost and Found Stuff - REALITY'S COLLAPSE-THE WALL WILL FALL. At time of writing (1500 GMT) ad no. 4.

I will post the letter here, in the unlikely event of a taker, but I can't promise anything else until I've actually SEEN the letter.
H22

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:06 pm

Due to recent tweets from A confirming that scanning the code is not necessary for reintegration, the chatroom is rethinking the wall piece-retrieval idea.

Right now, what I propose is this:

1. Identify the Wall piece locations.

2. Make sure there are people near each one who would be ABLE to retrieve the wall pieces.

3. Do NOTHING to retrieve the wall pieces until all refics are in.

4. Once all characters have been refictionalized, access Wall pieces for curiosity's sake, code-scanning optional.

I understand people are interested in where the QR code would lead, and attracted by the idea of a shiny trinket, but it's not WORTH ALL OF REALITY COLLAPSING just to find out. If we are as swift as we should be with the refics, there will be time to find out AFTER the immediate danger has passed.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:24 pm

I'm pretty sure that the code doesn't have to lead anywhere. Most likely, it would just be a link that would signal that the piece was found and reintegrated.

Also, our actual plan was to go ahead and reintegrate one piece anyway, but, as I said, I'm having second thoughts. It was supposed to make the Cabal take action and expose themselves, and yet they make us do the work. It was supposed to kick the plot into action, but, as I said, the plot is about to kick into overdrive anyway. And it's not like the GMs won't give us any way to refic the Cabal. Making the fate of the metaverse hinge on an illogical decision is unlikely.

So, I back off. The plan doesn't seem to be doing what it's supposed to. I should have come to this right when Morgana said they wouldn't go after the pieces.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Re: Wall piece: 410 S. Craig St., Pittsburgh, Caliban Books

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:49 pm

HERE!
https://twitter.com/AVeryMadCat/status/ ... 3696676864

As long as 1 crack is open we CAN refic the characters. No reason to let the remaining four open now.
I'm waiting for confirmation, but it's the Cat, so I stand by his word no matter what it is. :D
Pixelmage

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:54 pm

Isn't that what we knew already? The problem is, we don't really benefit from it, beside screwing with Mr. A. You can still go ahead with the plan just for the hell of it, but I'm not supporting it anymore.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:57 pm

Suppose the wall will fall unless sealed by the 21st.

As long as we have the key to do so instantly, we can safeguard it, regardless of him being willing to seal it with fictionals here or not.

If the fictionals we fail to refic are still here and cause problems in the long run, we still gain more time with the world still existing.
Letting all 4 keys spread out hinders that hand. But, there's no way I can convince you, right? I should just give up.
Pixelmage

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Pixelmage wrote:But, there's no way I can convince you, right? I should just give up.

Not really. What you said makes perfect sense.

There are, however, risks involved. If the Cabal suddenly steals the last wall piece (we can't guard it 24/7), they may be able to seal the wall without against our will. Or something.

If I go meta and assume they won't, I should note that getting the pieces doesn't really do anything, either. So, well, I'm just clinging to my standpoint because someone has to stay on Mr. A's side. You can proceed with the plan - I can't stop you anyway.

But if you want to retrieve all but the last one, I think we should leave the "Off the top of my head" one, because Enlil is close to it, and can retrieve it anytime.

UPD: Oh, and apparently Metaneko wants us to do this.
Dryunya

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:05 pm

I can't enact the plan either, and my meta is pretty simple:

https://twitter.com/AVeryMadCat/status/ ... 1099873280
The GMs are nudging us to do this. End of Meta.

I don't know why you're all clinging that much to sticking on Mr. A's good side and, to be honest, I have no right to ask. I'm just getting really frustrated with the way this is getting handled.
Pixelmage

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Pixelmage wrote:I'm just getting really frustrated with the way this is getting handled.

Tell me about it. :evil:

As for "why am I sticking to him"... Told you, I just like the guy. :gurt:

Oh, and my guess about that: the GMs expected an actual Broken Base with a fraction that was willing to retrieve the pieces by themselves, advancing the plot, but didn't get one, and now have to nudge us this way. Violation Of Common Sense all the way.
Dryunya

Postby GuestUser17 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:40 pm

Heads they win, tails we lose. I obtained the code for one of the wall pieces today but we were also unable to relocate the object itself. This leaves us in a predicament. If I scan the code then one more piece of the wall is restored. If I don't scan it then someone else is able to go to that same location and scan it themselves for the Cabal. The original thought was we could protect the pieces but it appears that is not the case. I now am worried that the wall may close before the refics can occur. So what should I do with my code?
GuestUser17
Meta-Dark Knight

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:44 pm

GuestUser17 wrote:Heads they win, tails we lose. I obtained the code for one of the wall pieces today but we were also unable to relocate the object itself. This leaves us in a predicament. If I scan the code then one more piece of the wall is restored. If I don't scan it then someone else is able to go to that same location and scan it themselves for the Cabal. The original thought was we could protect the pieces but it appears that is not the case. I now am worried that the wall may close before the refics can occur. So what should I do with my code?

I think just sitting on it for now is the best option. I don't think the Cabal will send someone to scan it themselves, and if they do, it shouldn't have any worse an effect than if you just scanned it now. So I think you should wait for the correct moment to act.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

PreviousNext

Return to Echoes