Adam F

"When I looked around I saw and heard of none like me. Was I a monster, a blot upon the earth from which all men fled and whom all men disowned?" :(

[Refictionalized 25 Nov 2012]

Re: Adam F

Postby Victin on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:31 am

What do you think of his play?
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:47 am

Victin wrote:What do you think of his play?

It's very....Relevant.

Obviously, it's auto-biographical, so we learn a good deal about Adam's character and his motivations.

There's also a mention of a wall having fallen, so....Foreshadowing?
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby The Finch on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:51 am

It's actually quite a good start, but I wish to see more of who this girl was, and how did he come here
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:00 pm

The Finch wrote:It's actually quite a good start, but I wish to see more of who this girl was, and how did he come here

Agreed. It's very Shakespearean in it's waxing philosophical opening. Maybe we'll get some answers in the form of his play?
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Scarab wrote:
The Finch wrote:It's actually quite a good start, but I wish to see more of who this girl was, and how did he come here

Agreed. It's very Shakespearean in it's waxing philosophical opening. Maybe we'll get some answers in the form of his play?

So we give him some positive feedback and hope that he'll continue posting it? I'm not sure how much more he's going to give us though. He is trying to sell this play and get it produced. It's likely he's not going to post the entire play for us on his blog. I think the best we can hope for is more 'samples'.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:44 pm

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:
Scarab wrote:

So we give him some positive feedback and hope that he'll continue posting it? I'm not sure how much more he's going to give us though. He is trying to sell this play and get it produced. It's likely he's not going to post the entire play for us on his blog. I think the best we can hope for is more 'samples'.

How about if I comment saying something like how I hope the guy Adam gets the girl, and asking for him to share the scene where (if) he does? Or is requesting a specific sample too limiting?
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:09 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:
WackyMeetsPractical wrote:
Scarab wrote:Agreed. It's very Shakespearean in it's waxing philosophical opening. Maybe we'll get some answers in the form of his play?

How about if I comment saying something like how I hope the guy Adam gets the girl, and asking for him to share the scene where (if) he does? Or is requesting a specific sample too limiting?

In the end, he'll show us only what he wants to show us. I, myself, don't think asking for specific scenes is a good idea, especially since we don't know what sort of play this is. He may not have a scene like that, and asking for a scene like that may pressure him into altering his story to please us. Some writers are like that. I think the best way is to encourage him to show us more, and let him decide what to show. We may get more information that way.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:09 pm

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:In the end, he'll show us only what he wants to show us. I, myself, don't think asking for specific scenes is a good idea, especially since we don't know what sort of play this is. He may not have a scene like that, and asking for a scene like that may pressure him into altering his story to please us. Some writers are like that. I think the best way is to encourage him to show us more, and let him decide what to show. We may get more information that way.

Agreed.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:56 pm

Remember of how in the book he wanted a family to like him, and a bride?

The girl could just be a personification of those things.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:59 pm

The Wild West Pyro wrote:Remember of how in the book he wanted a family to like him, and a bride?

The girl could just be a personification of those things.

At first I thought the girl represented Sandy, but then I realized he mentioned writing the play before meeting Sandy, even before getting to the playhouse. So yeah, he's probably just fantasizing at this point. Though I feel like Sandy could be his love interest now.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby RotavatoR on Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:39 am

Was wondering if you'd noticed that he named his cat after his writer?
RotavatoR

Postby Dryunya on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:31 am

I don't think it may have any value beyond a nod to those who notice.
...on the other hand, Fleet Street was mentioned along with Sweeney several times (both the restaurant with the notebook, and the echo location). That's hardly a conicidence.
Let's just observe for now.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:03 am

RotavatoR wrote:Was wondering if you'd noticed that he named his cat after his writer?

Actually, that was what the shelter had already named her; he didn't think it fit. (But that's why I couldn't resist suggesting he call it Mary instead-- Mary Shelley.)

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Re: Adam F (The Phantom)

Postby RotavatoR on Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:07 am

Oh shi--

Looks like Adam has been contacted by the Phantom
http://fm.ezblog.twwf.info/
What should our move be? Should we tell him about the Cabal?
(Maybe he is just interested in Adam because he also likes theater?)

EDIT: Apparently Zup has already told him about the Cabal.
RotavatoR

Re: Adam F (The Phantom)

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:39 am

RotavatoR wrote:Oh shi--

Looks like Adam has been contacted by the Phantom
http://fm.ezblog.twwf.info/
What should our move be? Should we tell him about the Cabal?
(Maybe he is just interested in Adam because he also likes theater?)

EDIT: Apparently Zup has already told him about the Cabal.

I'm not sure what we should do. This is really a matter of plot vs common sense. On the one hand, we don't want Adam getting mixed up with the Cabal. They're dangerous, and Adam's dangerous. Adam has a good life now, and the Cabal could ruin it for him. On the other hand, the plot may need Adam to get mixed up with the Cabal. We might be able to learn a little more about them. And if he refuses, the Cabal could retaliate, and ruin Adam's good life.

In the end, Adam will choose what the plot dictates he choose. But I just don't know what we should be telling him.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:03 am

I think what zup said was probably what our stance should be.
He is very intelligent, I think an ample warning is all he needs.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby S_o_S on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:39 am

I decided to tell him to ascertain what the Phantom wants from him before he proceeds with anything. Hopefully Adam will report back to us from there, but I won't get my hopes up.
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:01 pm

I'm gonna chime in advising not to trust the Phantom. I just... don't think we can overstate that point.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:42 pm

He has displayed copious amounts of intelligence.
Two things will happen:
A). He will listen to strangers advice on his blog and turn away from his dream.
B). He will approach The Phantom cautiously and listen to what he has to say.

I will say that I think the next post we will see from him is after he meets with The Phantom.
I am not that familiar with The Phantom's history, but I think it would only take a few slip-ups to make Adam distrust either The Phantom or us.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Scarab on Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:27 pm

eli_gone_crazy wrote:He has displayed copious amounts of intelligence.
Two things will happen:
A). He will listen to strangers advice on his blog and turn away from his dream.

I will say that I think the next post we will see from him is after he meets with The Phantom.
I am not that familiar with The Phantom's history, but I think it would only take a few slip-ups to make Adam distrust either The Phantom or us.

Agreed. I say at this point that if Adam asks us who we are, and wants straight answers from us? Then we give them to him, as best as we know them outselves, no matter what that means telling him. He needs to know he can trust us, because I'm sure the Phantom will try and convince him we are completely unshakable on the Sending Them Back No Matter What front which of course, we are not.

Poor communication's already screwed us over before, let's try not to make it too bad a habit.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Sicon112 on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Scarab wrote:
eli_gone_crazy wrote:He has displayed copious amounts of intelligence.
Two things will happen:

Agreed. I say at this point that if Adam asks us who we are, and wants straight answers from us? Then we give them to him, as best as we know them outselves, no matter what that means telling him. He needs to know he can trust us, because I'm sure the Phantom will try and convince him we are completely unshakable on the Sending Them Back No Matter What front which of course, we are not.

Poor communication's already screwed us over before, let's try not to make it too bad a habit.

And apparently I got beaten to it again. Good job guys. I couldn't have said it better myself.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Adam is VERY naive, and very committed to his art.
And has great incentive to want to stay in this world, and great potential for being dangerous.

Based on those four factors, I can safely say that a) Without timely and proportionate intervention from us, he WILL take the Phantom's offer; and b) we want to keep him from joining the Cabal AT ALL COSTS.

Right now he's sweet and oblivious; he could become a formidable enemy very fast.

My response is not that timely at this point, but I have commented giving him some art-based reasons to not accept the offer, in addition to stressing HEAVILY that he shouldn't trust the Phantom.

I don't think we can over-emphasize this point.

Seriously. I go away for a day and everything goes to hell! WHY couldn't this have waited 24 hours to happen?

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:25 pm

...And he's responded to our comments.
He's heeded our warnings not to get involved (thank god), but did find out what the errands were.

...Why the hell do they want a banana mailed to Alaska? (And it can't be about any more rogue fictionals to recruit, since Mr A's already confirmed we have them all.)

...Banana... Alaska... MY BRAIN IS BREAKING.

Theory: They knew that we'd find out from him what they were saying, so included a bunch of random Red Herring tasks just to mess with us.

Someone please join the speculation before I WMG myself into an Epileptic Forest.

Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:26 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:...And he's responded to our comments.
He's heeded our warnings not to get involved (thank god), but did find out what the errands were.

...Why the hell do they want a banana mailed to Alaska? (And it can't be about any more rogue fictionals to recruit, since Mr A's already confirmed we have them all.)

...Banana... Alaska... MY BRAIN IS BREAKING.

Theory: They knew that we'd find out from him what they were saying, so included a bunch of random Red Herring tasks just to mess with us.

Someone please join the speculation before I WMG myself into an Epileptic Forest.

I'm sorry guys, but I think Adam is going to speak with the cabal.
At this point we are nameless people on the internet.
This other guy is actively trying to help him achieve his goals.
eli_gone_crazy

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:29 pm

From a meta standpoint, I actually really want Adam to let the Phantom produce his play. In any story, you need to get to a point where the worst possible things are happening, and you get to see the villains' plans come to fruition and start to have consequences, before you can fix things and get your positive resolution.

In character, I want to protect Adam and all of reality from whatever the Cabal is up to. I'm worried about what could happen if the Cabal manipulates him into mistrusting us. As has been noted, if Adam starts asking questions, being completely honest about who we are and what we're up to is a sound policy.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

PreviousNext

Return to [REFIC'D] Adam Frankenstein