Let's start with the obvious one: Highlights

We have a lot of questions for you, our players, that can help us understand what really worked and what we can improve on for next time.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Let's start with the obvious one: Highlights

Postby Connor Fallon on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:52 pm

What parts of the ARG do YOU really feel worked, and why? What compelled you to keep playing? What were your personal highlights, favorite moments? Let's look back and share the good feels.
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Re: Let's start with the obvious one: Highlights

Postby RotavatoR on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:40 pm

I really liked the interaction between the characters. Holmes and Poirot, Metaneko and Mr A. It's interesting to see how characters behave out of their story.
RotavatoR

Postby Pixelmage on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Cheshire Cat trolling the Cabal on their main chatroom. Yes.

But there are a lot of things. The interaction as a whole, the characters did respond to us and react to what we did (most of the time) and that's something that I believe it's very hard to pull off. :gurt:
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Tom on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:44 pm

Pixelmage wrote:...The characters did respond to us and react to what we did (most of the time) and that's something that I believe it's very hard to pull off. :gurt:

Yup. It's like doing a tightrope walk while someone keeps changing the direction of Down.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Victin on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Cheshire Cat and Don Quixote.

Also, the way you achknoledged players through the course of the ARG, as LJS in Russia and the Witch in Brazil.

And most definetively, Adell and Sicon, for the love of awesomeness, Adell and Sicon.
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby S_o_S on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:48 pm

Personally, my favourite thing about the whole ARG - the reason I came online day after day - was the sheer sense of community I got from this place. By uniting us all under the banner of saving reality, we all really felt like a tram, even though there were many deeply divisive issues. I feel like I've made friends here, and I think everyone can say the same.

Also, Quixote. Dear God, Quixote. Had me in stitches when he wasn't making me cry like a baby. Kudos.
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby Scarab on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:52 pm

For me it was the immersion, and the interaction with other people worldwide. The friendships I forged with people who under normal circumstances I would never have met. I really didn't expect this to be so involving when I signed up. We really ARE quite the Ragtag Bunch of Misfits, yet we all found things in common over the course of this ARG, and I'm pretty sure a lot of those friendships are self sustaining (not that we'd say no to another one! Just... in a while please. I think we need to join Dana in sleeping throughout January :lol:).

I mean also there's just... something nice about how GENUINE it all felt. Yes we all knew, rationally, that the world was not under threat, that everyone would be fine in the end, but the level of emotional involvement a lot of us felt anyway was both heartwarming and... kind of strange. I would like to raise this forum up as an example for anybody who doesn't believe that the itnernet can ever be a true basis of solidarity and teamwork.

I honestly think I'm interested in exploring these new forms of media a whole lot more now: (Dana you are awesome for giving me that info!) seeing the way multimedia narratives and involving so many people over the world can create such an involving universe. But by far the thing which makes these things special is the people. I'm really greatful you all brought us together for this. So I'd like to thank you too, for opening my mind to that kind of stuff.

Also, Cheshire trolling the Cabal.

...What? Everyone else agrees. ;)
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby JackAlsworth on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:07 pm

"RUN RAINBOW DASH! LAWMEN APPROACHETH!"

That was one of the few lines that I wound up quoting to people who knew nothing about the ARG. I also enjoyed how easily the GMs took player ideas in stride (Lime-Man, the initial Metaguard concept, etc.).
JackAlsworth

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:08 pm

JackAlsworth wrote:"RUN RAINBOW DASH! LAWMEN APPROACHETH!"

That was one of the few lines that I wound up quoting to people who knew nothing about the ARG. I also enjoyed how easily the GMs took player ideas in stride (Lime-Man, the initial Metaguard concept, etc.).

That was pure winning. Also, the TTGL parts of Don. XD
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby SuperKing93 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:16 pm

My favorite part was definitely Don's twitter account and his (and Brad's of course) interactions with the Metaguards. I don't have a twitter (for reasons that are irrelevant to this discussion) but I would have gotten one just to fool with Don.

The Metaguards' responses on Romeo's blog were funny as well. Well, most of them.
SuperKing93

Postby Flitterbie on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:32 pm

My favorite parts were probably the twitter accounts. Mostly Don's and the Cat's, with one notable high point otherwise:

"Yar, desu desu kawaii indeed."

I will never not love that sentence.
Flitterbie

Postby Jeroic9 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Primarily the sense of community, honestly, but I feel that a lot of the iconic Don Quixote moments were my highlights, especially the bits with the animals.
I wrote a book. Adding to the far side of the wall.
Jeroic9

Postby Connor Fallon on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:33 pm

Flitterbie wrote:My favorite parts were probably the twitter accounts. Mostly Don's and the Cat's, with one notable high point otherwise:

"Yar, desu desu kawaii indeed."

I will never not love that sentence.

That is also one of my favorites.
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Postby Pixelmage on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:38 pm

A personal from me, but that I think people will agree with: Wall Emergencies. :gurt:
We got an excuse to talk to Gurt, we had writing to do. And they could pop up at any time! Simply awesome.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Replica on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:57 pm

As I said in a topic driven offtopic by the puppetmasters, the way that we were allowed to shape a little bit of the story, with the interactions and refics and most obviously the final boss refic. You took your story and let us do a bit. Truly wonderful.
Replica

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:00 pm

every tweet I ever sent, to any character. (you guys must think I really AM crazy :lol: )

Don Quixote is a badass, at any and every point. When Brad decided to tell Quixote the truth, and remarked about how Quixote respected me.... that made my day. :D
eli_gone_crazy

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:14 pm

There's just too much to love. Yes, the community is part of it. There's so many great people here and I feel like I've made many genuine friendships. Even in moments when disagreements formed and it felt like the tram would fall apart, were truly memorable and fascinating. I even loved the brief moments of panic you guys would cause on occasion that would cause the whole chat room to explode with worry and epliptic trees.

I also loved many of the character interactions. Quixote was definitely a favorite. I really connected with Adam as a character. Romeo's storyline was definitely very fascinating. And I can always rely on the witch to give us a good laugh. Conversations with the cat sometimes got frustrating when he refused to give a straight answer, but his riddle times were fun. And I really took a special interest in Gulliver's blog. I really found his observations of the modern world really fascinating, and I really enjoyed the friendship that formed between him and Silver. Also, the moment we discovered that that bratty girl always complaining on his blog was actually a GM plant was just plain epic.

But I think my all time favorite part of the ARG was Mr. A himself. He's a very fascinating character, and many know that I've been a firm supporter of him from the very beginning. Part of the reason behind that is my absolute curiostiy and fascination with the character, who he is and what he wants. My all time favorite moment was the spontaneous AMA session. We've all learned so much about the character, and have formed a certain bond with the #LeastPopularInsantiation. Further correspondences with the character were equally as fun.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Jeroic9 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:19 pm

I also liked tying the endgame into 12/21/2012. Even though I didn't expect anything would happen, it was a sort of vicarious sense of agency in nothing happening (in a good way).
Jeroic9

Postby narrativedilettante on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:29 pm

I think the moment that stuck with me the most was when the Cabal made themselves known, taking down the posts on the main page of this site and replacing them with their messages. The dramatic tension was palpable, and it was paced perfectly... just enough time for us to panic over what was going on before the next step happened.

Also, seeing that Gurt poster in the elevator in the Peter Pan echo. Realizing that somebody had drawn that after the game had started, that you guys were thinking on your feet even more than I'd thought, was incredible.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Blurred_9L on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:51 pm

I think I enjoyed the interaction the most. I never thought I would write so many things to all these characters, more specifically, Don Quixote and Mr. A. I remember I joined the game around the time Quixote got shot, with my first tweet inmersing me in all this awesome madness was to ask if he was okay.
When the interaction with the Cabal opened up, I enjoyed it too. I sort of have a weakspot for writing letters, and I found that some of the biggest walls of text that I have ever written were done in an email to Morgan. So yeah, all in all, the interaction was the best part of the ARG. it just didn't flesh out the characters, but also moved the plot along and somehow made all of us become friends. :P
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Jeroic9 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:54 pm

Oh right, and another Quixote moment: I did notice he was basically live-tweeting a police chase he was the target of. FROM THE BACK OF A HORSE.
Jeroic9

Postby Terrac1 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:19 am

Speaking as someone who pretty much just followed the story, I really enjoyed the characters development with Don Quixote and Romeo and Juliet's arcs being the best. Especially considering I normally despise fanwork of any kind. Definite props for keeping it consistent.
The demons are Pink, Yellow and Rainbow. No matter where I go they are always there.

Congratulations everyone!
Terrac1

Postby YankeeWhite on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:54 am

Definitely the character interaction all around. I'm a sucker for interacting with ARG characters, especially well thought out and well written replies that stayed in character. Really well done here!

Also one of the first true challenges of the game, putting together all the little fragments that lead us to mindsandmatters.ezblog.co. It was a pain in my ass putting it together :P, but I was stubborn about it for some reason and just had to finish it!
YankeeWhite

Postby JackAlsworth on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:00 am

I have another highlight: the tweet Tom sent to me explaining what #FF was.
JackAlsworth

Postby Connor Fallon on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:02 am

JackAlsworth wrote:I have another highlight: the tweet Tom sent to me explaining what #FF was.

That's not part of the ARG =P
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Next

Return to Questions for YOU