Peter Pan

We have a lot of questions for you, our players, that can help us understand what really worked and what we can improve on for next time.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Peter Pan

Postby Eric Kays on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:28 pm

I'd like to know how you all felt about Peter Pan's storyline and interactive elements. I was more involved with the development of this character and his interactions than most of the other characters. Did you like it? What did or didn't work for you? What about the ending?
Eric Kays
Puppetmaster

Re: Peter Pan

Postby S_o_S on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:31 pm

Personally speaking, I enjoyed it. Pan himself is a great character, the recording with the little girl was extremely sweet, and the courtroom antics really felt Ace Attorney-esque. Given Mr. A's tweets, I assume this is what you were aiming for. However, that was one of the things that soured my opinion of A, for personal reasons. I don't react well to perversion of the course of justice :P
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby SuperKing93 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:33 pm

The thing I liked most about Pan's storyline was the Paul McCartney reference which was most likely unintentional (or was it?). Because

PAN ON THE RUN
PAN ON THE RUN
AND THE COUNTY JUDGE HELD A GRUDGE
SuperKing93

Postby RotavatoR on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:34 pm

It was definitely the storyline that required the most acting, what with the news-reports, the courtroom scenes and Pan's first recording. That's why I liked the storyline. The disappointing thing was that Pan was the only character with a Facebook page so you'd have to have one yourself if you'd want to partake in his story.

But overal good acting and a fun plot.
RotavatoR

Postby Scarab on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:35 pm

Well asides from the fact that some of us were all but forced to get facebook accounts ... :P

It was a really NICE part of the ARG, the interactivity was great and a variation on just the typical puzzle solving. More like that would have been nice, IMO, but I think it would also probably have resulted in us having to add several GMs to the memorial list for dying in their services...

Also kind of loved the explanations you put out at the end to explain how utterly unrealistic such a trial was and how it would never have gotten that far in a real life scenario.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Adell on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Scarab wrote:Well asides from the fact that some of us were all but forced to get facebook accounts ... :P

Oooooh nooooooo, such a terrible fate! :lol:

Overall, I can't really comment as the bulk of his story happened during the hurricane in Jersey. I will say, driving to camden to get that Pan letter was probably more dangerous than fighting cthulu was. :lol:

As far as the story for it was concerned, I liked it well enough.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Pixelmage on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:00 pm

He was quite interesting. I do feel sad that we didn't get to actually interact with him at all. I mean, he created the page, sent a "hello world" and then he was in court and we had to talk to his lawyer.

That was quite a motivator though. Getting him out, making things right for him. I deserves some serious praise. :gurt:
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Scarab on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:06 pm

Adell wrote:
Scarab wrote:Well asides from the fact that some of us were all but forced to get facebook accounts ... :P

Oooooh nooooooo, such a terrible fate! :lol:

Overall, I can't really comment as the bulk of his story happened during the hurricane in Jersey. I will say, driving to camden to get that Pan letter was probably more dangerous than fighting cthulu was. :lol:

As far as the story for it was concerned, I liked it well enough.

Hell yes it was a terrible fate, I actually lost even MORE sleep over it, in that stage of the ARG! :lol:

....Given the choice I'd take my chances with Cthluhu. :shock:

It was of course, a shame that we didn't get to be move invovled with him, but it was QUITE different to all the other ARG puzzles we'd had so far.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Terrac1 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:20 am

Ace Attorney antics = win period.
The demons are Pink, Yellow and Rainbow. No matter where I go they are always there.

Congratulations everyone!
Terrac1

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:38 am

The Facebook issue aside, I really liked the Peter Pan arc. Particularly I liked all the other characters that showed up. Their antics and details like the backstory hints about Ron Deckland helped make the ARG feel more fleshed-out.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Bill Cohen on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:40 am

Holy crap, I had no idea you all enjoyed the storyline so much!! Makes me very happy.

I need to wave a big flag for Eric, his director Carl and the whole filming team and all the actors - if any of them had been off their game the Pan storyline would have fallen over in a screaming heap.

Funny thing about Pan, his storyline was probably the most static. I'm not saying players had NO impact on the story - you could have sent him to ANY of the statues if the locator puzzle had gone differently, you could have sat back and sent him to jail (we had a plan for that...kinda) - but it was more along the lines of a classic ARG plot where every time the players completed a section they were rewarded with some stuff we had ready.

Also, small side-note - the original version of Pan I wrote was MUCH darker than the one we ended up with. He was about 16, quite goth (wore a 'Lost Boys' t-short etc etc), and the plot made his intentions with 'going on adventures' a little more ambiguous. That said, I am _really_ glad that cooler heads prevailed and we stayed closer to canon Pan - he was a much more endearing character for it!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Bill Cohen
Puppetmaster

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:13 am

Peter Pan was pretty good, but, try to make the news thing and the court footage more realistic next time.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby RotavatoR on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:42 am

Can I ask what your plan was when we would have let Pan go to jail, or is this not the right topic for that question?

Also, I thought the news reader did not look news readery AT ALL :\

So yea ^^
RotavatoR

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:02 am

Wait, if Pan had gone to the statue in, say, Toronto (uhh... no reason. and hey, I tried...), how would the Cabal have justified trying to get him arrested? Slash how would that have happened differently? :?

But yeah, aside from the facebook-anger, the Pan arc was awesome. Those videos were adorable; I just wanted to give him a hug!
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Tom on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:13 am

Canada would have been a slight problem but not an insurmountible one. We prepared the storyline to be roughly compatible with a layman's understanding of the American legal system, which was frankly a silly assignment for us to have handed our only Australian writer. :P But Bill was happy enough to cope.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Bill Cohen on Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:22 pm

Tom wrote:Canada would have been a slight problem but not an insurmountible one. We prepared the storyline to be roughly compatible with a layman's understanding of the American legal system, which was frankly a silly assignment for us to have handed our only Australian writer. :P But Bill was happy enough to cope.

Thank god for Law and Order ;)
Bill Cohen
Puppetmaster

Postby Bill Cohen on Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:27 pm

RotavatoR wrote:Can I ask what your plan was when we would have let Pan go to jail, or is this not the right topic for that question?

Also, I thought the news reader did not look news readery AT ALL :\

So yea ^^

Basically, if Pan got sent to jail we had a plan to film a direct appeal video from Pan where he leans a little harder on the 'I'm getting older' thing, leaving the implications of that up to the players. As I said before, Tom and Dana were completely in the right guiding me towards making him a more sympathetic character as he got the sympathetic response we hoped for.

As for the newsreader, here's my notes on the setting and the character from the script:

We open the video with the ID graphic for Good Morning Pittsburgh – it’s a lousy, 2-bit show running on a local network, about two steps above Public Access. The host is Gary, a washed-up, rumpled news anchor who does this for a little extra cash, with all the enthusiasm that entails.

I think they nailed it.
Bill Cohen
Puppetmaster

Return to Questions for YOU