Character Would-haves

We have a lot of questions for you, our players, that can help us understand what really worked and what we can improve on for next time.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Character Would-haves

Postby Connor Fallon on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:55 pm

Lets do one that's more fun. You've now seen the ARG play out... if you were in our seats, a year and a half ago, what character would you have wanted to write? What would their arc be? Would the be pro-cabal, or would they want to go back?

Just to spice it up a bit, and give something to the other PMs as well, lets say you don't have to pay attention to copy-write. But do try to pick well know characters.

I believe as Waka a while ago I said I'd have fun with GLADoS being confined to just a spam server, and dealing with the limitations of real technology. In my head, that's still the explanation for all the spam we got. We didn't have any real science fiction characters, so it would have been interesting to have a character dealing with the opposite technology shock than the rest.
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Re: Character Would-haves

Postby Jeroic9 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:26 pm

If I had to bear in mind copyright and suchlike, essentially tying myself to the same "public domain character" rules as you guys, (EDIT: just re-read and realized I didn't have to do that. Smeg). I would probably pick a mythic figure. While my preference is for the mythology of the Norsemen, someone like Sigurd or Thor, I feel Herakles/Hercules would be my pick.

He's abnormally strong, abnormally handsome, and as a result very prideful and anyway prone to berserk rages. His arc would be him needing to come to grips with his anger and asshatery in a world where killing something isn't a viable solution to every problem. However, since the pleasures of the modern world are so many times greater than those of ancient Greece, he'd rather learn from his mistakes and stay than be sent back to Bronze Age Greece, so side with the Cabal.

An alternate would by Odysseus. He's also very strong, but he's also clever. He'd adapt to the real world quickly and easily build himself a significant political power base. However, as one of his central traits is his desire to return home he would want to be sent back as soon as his tasks are done (but him being a heroic type he would probably stick around until late in the game, to try to help fix what he would perceive as a godless, degenerate world remember it's duty). In fact, I have this vision of him, soon after appearing half-naked and injured in a gutter somewhere, asking for "guest protection" at a wealthy home only to be beaten up and brought to the drunk tank, sparking his rage and desire to "fix" our culture.

I'll try some non-public domain guys in a bit.
I wrote a book. Adding to the far side of the wall.
Jeroic9

Postby Blurred_9L on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:29 pm

I think I'm going to have to go with Lyra or Will from Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. I really enjoyed those books and now that I think about it. Maybe even any other character from the books would have done well too. :P
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Jeroic9 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:36 pm

So if we're okay on not-public domain stuff, I think I'll run with your theme of bringing guys back from sci-fi futures.

Doctor Leonard Church from Red vs. Blue. The Bigger Bad of the first ten seasons, Director Church is a genius of AI theory and creation. Unlike his counterpart, Dr. Hallsey of Halo (the basis for Cortana) his genius is driven by personal obsession and he has no moral backing behind his experiments, brutally mind raping the Alpha AI that was created from a flash-clone of his own brain to make fragment "cores" to use in battle.

As a mad scientist of the future, he would gain notoriety in academia under an assumed name at MIT. However, rather than join the Cabal, the same obsession that grants him his genius would make him want to return to his setting, making him an open villain batting for A's team. His obsession and separation from the Beta AI would eventually drive him to depression and alcohol before being sent back. Jury's out on whether his story would teach him to let go of the past, a lesson he never learned in his home series.
Jeroic9

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:39 pm

Jeroic9 wrote:So if we're okay on not-public domain stuff, I think I'll run with your theme of bringing guys back from sci-fi futures.

Doctor Leonard Church from Red vs. Blue. The Bigger Bad of the first ten seasons, Director Church is a genius of AI theory and creation. Unlike his counterpart, Dr. Hallsey of Halo (the basis for Cortana) his genius is driven by personal obsession and he has no moral backing behind his experiments, brutally mind raping the Alpha AI that was created from a flash-clone of his own brain to make fragment "cores" to use in battle.

As a mad scientist of the future, he would gain notoriety in academia under an assumed name at MIT. However, rather than join the Cabal, the same obsession that grants him his genius would make him want to return to his setting, making him an open villain batting for A's team. His obsession and separation from the Beta AI would eventually drive him to depression and alcohol before being sent back. Jury's out on whether his story would teach him to let go of the past, a lesson he never learned in his home series.

Incidentally, I actually quoted Director Church at one point, to support A, so... XD
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Jeroic9 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:45 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Incidentally, I actually quoted Director Church at one point, to support A, so... XD

I think I remember that, it was the "every alternative" line, yes?
Jeroic9

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:56 pm

Jeroic9 wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:Incidentally, I actually quoted Director Church at one point, to support A, so... XD

Bingo.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Jeroic9 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:57 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
Jeroic9 wrote:

Bingo.

See. He totally would have fit for the A team.
Jeroic9

Postby JackAlsworth on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:17 am

reI like the idea of a superhero showing up (more well-known ones like Batman or Captain America especially), but I'm not sure a compelling story could be written about them (Batman would just assume he was in an alternate dimension where no one had heard of Bruce Wayne, and Cap already personifies the Temporal Fish Out Of Water).

The one I really would like to see is a futuristic man or woman inexplicably finding themselves in the distant past, but I can't think of a character to fit that off the top of my head.
JackAlsworth

Postby Sicon112 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:19 am

JackAlsworth wrote:reI like the idea of a superhero showing up (more well-known ones like Batman or Captain America especially), but I'm not sure a compelling story could be written about them (Batman would just assume he was in an alternate dimension where no one had heard of Bruce Wayne, and Cap already personifies the Temporal Fish Out Of Water).

The one I really would like to see is a futuristic man or woman inexplicably finding themselves in the distant past, but I can't think of a character to fit that off the top of my head.

Well for starters it would confuse the hell out of basically anyone from Star Wars.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:20 am

I would like to write Musashi. From the Yoshikawa novel. Assuming the historical/fictional character line would be blurry enough to work or maybe it simply does not matter seeing it as Just-For-Fun.

I'm not sure what his allegiance would be... It would depend on which point in the story he was pulled out from. Early on and we have an idealistic youth who fight with the Cabal for a better future. But late story Musashi would probably be willing to go back, the difference being whether he'd actively try to help us round up everything, or just mind his own way back.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Sicon112 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:21 am

.....aaaaaand now I want to write Sasaki Koujiro...
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Connor Fallon on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:29 am

There was talk about one of the ponies from My Little Pony, or some other Utopian work. But I believe almost every Utopian world has that covered extensively in fanfiction.
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Postby Terrac1 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:15 am

Connor Fallon wrote:There was talk about one of the ponies from My Little Pony, or some other Utopian work.

I thank all light and darkness that did not happen.

Connor Fallon wrote:But I believe almost every Utopian world has that covered extensively in fanfiction.

WAY. TO. WELL.

On topic: For a futuristic character Samas Aran from Metroid would have been interesting although very difficult fictional to use. Without amour of course.
The demons are Pink, Yellow and Rainbow. No matter where I go they are always there.

Congratulations everyone!
Terrac1

Postby Connor Fallon on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:23 am

I'd like to note that the aforementioned talk was obviously joking, and never an actual possibility =P
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Postby Replica on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:44 am

Probably somebody from Les Mis, although not sure who. I see that Javert was actually considered, which would have been interesting. I think I might have gone with Gavroche, and gone with some sort of storyline with him meeting a totally real (not really) member of government and finding out that what we have here is much better than what they had back in those days, and maybe the aforementioned government person could learn from him what is still wrong with our governments. It would probably get a bit too political, but would be interesting.

As I think some puppetmasters said, more females would have been nice. Maybe Epoinine, in combination with the idea above. Perhaps some more myth and legend. Guinevere (Arthurian legend), perhaps? I think that she would probably go with an arc similar to what was suggested for Jane Eyre.

Maybe a duo of Norse mythical characters, one of them being Sleipnir. Maybe they could get involved in horse racing, with the majestic horse.
Replica

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:50 am

The Invisible Man, from HG Wells's famous novel.

I think he may have wanted to go back if he found the world was not as easy to conquer and the police are more efficient.

Oh, and, Ebenezer Scrooge, Impey Barbicane, Captain Nemo, Gandalf, Atticus Finch, Professor Challenger, Bilbo Baggins, David Copperfield, Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickleby, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, Dr Moreau, Pinocchio, Phileas Fogg and James Bond, just to name a few.
Last edited by The Wild West Pyro on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby H22 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:13 am

I hugely want either Winston Smith or John the Savage. They would have been AWESOME.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:00 pm

The Doctor! He would have wanted to go home (here, he's stuck on Earth) but he would have had serious problems with some of Mr. Administrator's methods, and also refused to cooperate with the Cabal thanks to their early methods. Beyond that I don't know what I would do with him, but I'm sure i could come up with something cool.

Also, Agatha Heterodyne from Girl Genius. I'd expect her to do some of what the Witch wound up doing with all of her mad-scientisting. She'd spend her whole time here running around trying to improve things... and probably wind up damaging public property and getting arrested. This may have amounted to too many characters spending time in jail, though.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:53 pm

To be honest, anyone from Les Misérables would have been my personal nightmare. For one, I was already dealing with two Francophone characters as the sole person who actually spoke French on the staff. Another, and I would have started to ask to recruit another French speaker to help me out.

For another... to be honest, while I'm obviously quite fond of French literature, I don't like musicals. I would have pushed for a version of any character that would have hewn much closer to Victor Hugo's version than, well, anyone else. I would not have enjoyed those discussions.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Dana on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Sorry, Rick. He would have sung all of his dialogue.
Dana
Puppetmaster

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:59 pm

Dana wrote:Sorry, Rick. He would have sung all of his dialogue.

There would have been blood on the stage, I think. Especially if you somehow forced me to be doing that voice, too. I would have murdered everyone WITH MY MIND.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Dana on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:00 pm

No no no, I would have been singing for him. I can do a passable French accent from my 8 years of French. Also, I've always pictured him as a secret mezzo.
Dana
Puppetmaster

Postby Tom on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:37 pm

I think I thought of Phineas Fogg and liked the idea, but ultimately he's somewhat redundant with Gulliver. Fogg came from the Victorian adventure novel genre, whereas Gulliver was a satire, so I preferred what we had.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby BlackWolfe on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:37 pm

Tam Lin, just to see the guy deal with the fact that while he was considered a romantic hero back in the day, he would be considered a sexual predator today. Actually, I was thinking about writing a story along those lines as an ARG fanfic type of deal.

Also, from a player standpoint, making the players have to help someone like him avoid jail just so they can successfully refic him... :twisted:
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
BlackWolfe

Next

Return to Questions for YOU