Puppetmaster confusion

We have a lot of questions for you, our players, that can help us understand what really worked and what we can improve on for next time.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Puppetmaster confusion

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:28 am

For all that I like to pretend that I KNOW ALL (sorry, still get "Mr. A voice" every so often), I got puzzled by a few minor things, so here's my simple question for you guys -

Why did Cheshire appeal to you guys so much? I practically tried to turn trolling as Cheshire into an art form, and it seemed like you guys loved him all the more. On the other hand, though, I'll admit that it made writing his breakdown all that more powerful (I was responsible for the tweets featuring the emoticon :| as well as the tweet "Why can't I rhyme? WHY CAN'T I RHYME?").
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Re: Puppetmaster confusion

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:38 am

I've had mixed emotions towards the Cat throughout the game. At first, I really enjoyed him, mostly because I have fond memories of the Disney character. Also, the fact that he's a cat using twitter. It was just so bizarre not to find enjoyable.

He behaved in a very whimsical manner and was good for a laugh.

But at the same time, it kind of got aggravating trying to get some straight answers out of him. Though it's the kind of frustration that later turns to enjoyment, because you're being aggravated by a smiling cat, and that's just silly.

Of course, there's the whole fascination in how the cat works, how he can type, how he can know so much, how much power does he possess. And the more he trolls and reveals hidden information, the more curious he becomes. So you keep talking to him, pestering him, asking him questions, answering his riddles, hoping that eventually he'll reveal some of his own mysteries.

In the end, he was just fun to hang with. And though he did like to troll, he was also very helpful when needed. I am of course referring to the many times he offered hints whenever we got stuck on a riddle. It was in those moments that I knew that he was truly on our side.

Plus he's a talking cat. How can you not like that?
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:45 am

He trolled in the most endearing and cheerful way possible. And he's already a fantastic character from one of my favorite fictional works. And I love cats!
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby JackAlsworth on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:47 am

The riddles didn't hurt either. ("Belgian" was what got me to stop lurking in the first place.)
JackAlsworth

Postby Connor Fallon on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:54 am

I really don't know why, of all the things you could be confused about Rick, you are confused about this.

It's a cat on the internet.
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Postby Dryunya on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:09 am

I didn't like the cat that much. I'm terrible both at rhyming and metaphors, which meant I could neither understand him, nor communicate with him on his level. I was surprised when Qara had an extensive chat with him late in the game (and she still hasn't posted the translation :mrgreen: ).
But his riddles were invaluable.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby S_o_S on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:09 am

Connor Fallon wrote:I really don't know why, of all the things you could be confused about Rick, you are confused about this.

It's a cat on the internet.

Exactly. This whole thing started with "Cat Video on the Internet" after all. It was inevitable.

I loved Metaneko. He just oozed with charm!
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby RotavatoR on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:39 am

Also I like how my nickname for him caught on
*Proud* :oops:
RotavatoR

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:04 am

I'm a cat person, and a Wonderland fan. He was a cat, he was on the internet. Of course I loved Metaneko! :D

Sorry for not writing a refic for him... I had no confidence whatsoever to write a character so twisty like him... And rhyming in english? I know I'm passable for a non-native speaker but come on, that's just too much. :P
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Blurred_9L on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Actually, I guess it was quite entertaining to try to get a straight answer from him... or something to work with.

Of course, it never really happened, but...
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:39 pm

Dryunya wrote:I didn't like the cat that much. I'm terrible both at rhyming and metaphors, which meant I could neither understand him, nor communicate with him on his level. I was surprised when Qara had an extensive chat with him late in the game (and she still hasn't posted the translation :mrgreen: ).
But his riddles were invaluable.

I did feel bad about that, because you did make your frustration with him known. To be honest, I chalked that up to issues with a language barrier - rhyming and metaphors are frequently some of the hardest part of picking up a new language. I thought you did rather well with what you had, all things considered.

RotavatoR wrote:Also I like how my nickname for him caught on

I was the one who was tweeting as Cheshire when you came up with that. I chortled, and I figured that anything that could get me to chortle like that deserved to be elevated to canon. So Cheshire had to react positively to it.

Blurred_9L wrote:Actually, I guess it was quite entertaining to try to get a straight answer from him... or something to work with.

Of course, it never really happened, but...

Trying to get a straight answer out of him was hardest when I was the one tweeting as him. I've owned over 30 cats at various points in my life, from newborn kittens to the most elderly of cats. Slipping into a cat's mindset is perhaps a bit too easy for me... :D
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Dana on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:44 pm

Rick Healey wrote:Trying to get a straight answer out of him was hardest when I was the one tweeting as him.

Ahem.
Dana
Puppetmaster

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:48 pm

Oh... uh...

*whistles innocently*
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:06 am

To be honest, I'd never liked any incarnation of the Cheshire Cat until this one. But come on, he's a Crazy Awesome trollcat who speaks in rhymes and never gives a straight answer-- what's not to like?

And once I realized that I could, and needed to, speak his language... :D
Dryu, I put the translation in the Timeline! ...sorry, I know I was going to take it to the forums, but I had a headache, and then forgot. But it's right there with Susie...
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Tom on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:14 am

It's funny you say "speak his language", since that makes two parts of the game where you were the primary translator for Rick.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:51 am

Rick Healey wrote:

I was the one who was tweeting as Cheshire when you came up with that. I chortled, and I figured that anything that could get me to chortle like that deserved to be elevated to canon. So Cheshire had to react positively to it.

I am positive that this nickname would have caught on even without the Cat's approval. :gurt:
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Rick Healey on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Dryunya wrote:
Rick Healey wrote:

I am positive that this nickname would have caught on even without the Cat's approval. :gurt:

Yes, I know. You can only guide the field in an ARG so much.

That said, having watched you guys as close as I did, I knew that any sort of official approval would be enjoyed by al the players.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Endless Sea on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:18 pm

I dunno why you'd think the personality would be a turn-off at all; I loved it. Of course, his reputation from the source material certainly helped from my perspective.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.

RP news: Power Play and Sunset Drift are open for business! Bound by Faith may need a while to finish, though.
Endless Sea

Return to Questions for YOU