The Biggest Surprises?

We have a lot of questions for you, our players, that can help us understand what really worked and what we can improve on for next time.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

The Biggest Surprises?

Postby Val Reznitskaya on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:25 pm

Was there an in-game moment that made you speechless? Have any of the reveals in the post-mortem thus far made your jaw drop? We're curious! =)
Val Reznitskaya
Puppetmaster

Re: The Biggest Surprises?

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:30 pm

In game? Oberon has entered the chatroom. The cat warned us. I expected a Pheeble chat. Possibly an active session, but noooo, she had to pop in right in the middle of our chat. My reaction is in the logs... "Oh god no, not that name." :shock:
Yeah...

Reveal? DF is now known as Dana, Dana is now known as DF. Same for Greyscale being Tom. I didn't expect either of them to be in the chatroom at all, because they're close to us through twitter. I sort of expected all the other reveals, even if I didn't know which accounts were GMs, but Dana and Tom actually in the chatroom? Yeah, jaw dropped.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby BlackWolfe on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:31 pm

The Adell vid. The amount of work put into that just blew my fuzzy little wolf'yote mind. I had only kind of expected full-garb Cabal. I flat-out did not expect ol' Octopus-puss to look so looming and huge and stuff.

edit: Make that "looming, and huge, and actually on camera".
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
BlackWolfe

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:34 pm

On that note, the reveal that Adell could have died in-game if we really didn't send in copious amounts of content for it.
I didn't believe that for a single second. If it did happen I'd probably have a heart attack. That you guys would actually enforce that plotline if it was the case was really surprising.
Pixelmage

Postby Val Reznitskaya on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:36 pm

Pixelmage wrote:On that note, the reveal that Adell could have died in-game if we really didn't send in copious amounts of content for it.
I didn't believe that for a single second. If it did happen I'd probably have a heart attack. That you guys would actually enforce that plotline if it was the case was really surprising.

Fun fact. That whole thing got started with a discussion about killing off a player. Giving you guys the chance to save said player was something we added later. (We wuv you Adell!)
Val Reznitskaya
Puppetmaster

Postby BlackWolfe on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:36 pm

Pixelmage wrote:On that note, the reveal that Adell could have died in-game if we really didn't send in copious amounts of content for it.

Oh hell yes, that reveal made me go "wait what".
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
BlackWolfe

Postby Connor Fallon on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Val Reznitskaya wrote:

Fun fact. That whole thing got started with a discussion about killing off a player. Giving you guys the chance to save said player was something we added later. (We wuv you Adell!)

I've said this in the other thread, but specifically, Alex Moser being like "It would be great if one of them died." Over, and over, and over.
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Postby Dana on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:38 pm

It was because he didn't want us to kill of Joe ;)
Dana
Puppetmaster

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Val Reznitskaya wrote:

Yeah, I remember at one point going, "Huh... I think Adell might go along with this, but I wonder how Sicon would take it if we killed him off?" I'm glad we found something much less potentially lethal for him.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Dana on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Hey, the witch was totally ready to turn him inanimate. That's almost like death...kind of?
Dana
Puppetmaster

Postby BlackWolfe on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:41 pm

Val Reznitskaya wrote:Fun fact. That whole thing got started with a discussion about killing off a player. Giving you guys the chance to save said player was something we added later. (We wuv you Adell!)

If it hadn't been Adell, we wouldn't have been given an opportunity to save them, would we? :P
I kid, I kid. Mostly.
BlackWolfe

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Val Reznitskaya wrote:

My god, I'm glad I took the Cthulhu situation as seriously as I did now. I felt somewhat silly at the time.

Other surprises: Tara's death, of course. I was NOT expecting that. We had Don Quixote and Sherlock Holmes on their way! How could anything have gone wrong? And then it did go wrong. MAN was that shocking.

And, the revelation that Greyscale and dragonfly were Tom and Dana respectively blew me away, because of specific interactions I remembered having with both of them.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Tom on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:12 pm

We added the way to save the volunteer because every now and then, I remember that the game isn't fun if it's just you guys asking what happened, and us telling you. It's much more meaningful if it reflects real choices.

And once we realized that, we realized it was actually going to be a much better story if the volunteer lived. The players would understand that the point had been The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You. It wasn't the fourth wall that saved Adell, it was you guys.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby SuperKing93 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:33 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:Tara's death, of course. I was NOT expecting that.

Really? Even though her blog had so much foreshadowing (i.e. "will you see November?", "13 days", and all the stuff in the 2 days before the murder)? I knew she would be the first to die.
SuperKing93

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:40 pm

SuperKing93 wrote:
narrativedilettante wrote:Tara's death, of course. I was NOT expecting that.

Really? Even though her blog had so much foreshadowing (i.e. "will you see November?", "13 days", and all the stuff in the 2 days before the murder)? I knew she would be the first to die.

I fully expected Don Quixote and/or Sherlock Holmes to save her and capture her would-be murderers. I was floored when I realized they didn't get there in time.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:53 pm

I expected them to succeed, but I was grounded for the worse. Foresadowing and all... So it wasn't as big for me. But still, it was one of the strongest moments of Don's plotline. And there's no questioning it did affect everyone to some extent.
Pixelmage

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:11 pm

Tara getting shot, Cthulhu coming, the discovery of Fictional Threat, Quixote getting shot and the Cabal attacking the forum.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:58 pm

There were several big surprises. Joe withholding the apology letter and also returning home without telling anyone, Tara being killed, the Cabal attacking the site, the Cat trolling the Cabal, Morgan entering our chat. But I think the most surprising was Morgan reficking Moriarty. It just really seemed like the one thing she would never ever EVER do. And then she does it. What a twist! This comes right after the other shocking revelation of Holmes being reficked by Silver, then Silver being reficked by Poirot, then Poirot releasing Don Juan. It was a very surprising day.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:07 am

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:There were several big surprises. Joe withholding the apology letter and also returning home without telling anyone, Tara being killed, the Cabal attacking the site, the Cat trolling the Cabal, Morgan entering our chat. But I think the most surprising was Morgan reficking Moriarty. It just really seemed like the one thing she would never ever EVER do. And then she does it. What a twist! This comes right after the other shocking revelation of Holmes being reficked by Silver, then Silver being reficked by Poirot, then Poirot releasing Don Juan. It was a very surprising day.

Admittedly, I knew Moriarty would be dealt with somehow and that something would happen with the original plan. I did not know exactly how it would go, and I was quite impressed with how it turned out that day.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Alexander Moser on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:19 am

BlackWolfe wrote:The Adell vid. The amount of work put into that just blew my fuzzy little wolf'yote mind. I had only kind of expected full-garb Cabal. I flat-out did not expect ol' Octopus-puss to look so looming and huge and stuff.

edit: Make that "looming, and huge, and actually on camera".

This definitely made my day, so thanks!
Actor (Joe, Wicked Witch), Video Director, Visual Effects/CG/Post-processing
Alexander Moser
Puppetmaster

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:07 am

Every time something bad turned out to not be the Cabal, I was surprised.
Other than that... Well, seeing my fic posted as canon knocked me completely off my feet every time it happened.
I was also not expecting the Sicon/Witch showdown. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but... not that. And yes, it kills me to admit to not having brainhaxxed that, even though it wouldn't have made sense for me to know.

The identity reveals I was less 'surprised' and more 'oh god oh god time to try to remember EVERY STUPID THING I HAVE SAID EVER to those people and facepalm'. I am still facepalming, because I have said too many stupid things to remember particulars, and Nothing Is Scarier.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Tom on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:58 am

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:The identity reveals I was less 'surprised' and more 'oh god oh god time to try to remember EVERY STUPID THING I HAVE SAID EVER to those people and facepalm'. I am still facepalming, because I have said too many stupid things to remember particulars, and Nothing Is Scarier.

You have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about.

As far as I know.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby JRPictures on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:02 am

The reveal of the Australian wall piece

For obvious reasons:
- I didn't expect any field work for me
- I didn't think you guys could get to Australia for it etc.
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.twwf.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:59 am

My surprises:
  1. Tara's death. One subversion to rule them all. Absolutely didn't see that coming. Wrong Genre Savvy, woe me. :(
  2. The reveal that the echoes require an AR tool to be found... and that it doesn't work in my country. :cry:
  3. Sicon's showdown. You know, the players actually playing roles. After that, I wasn't even surprised by Adell's fighting real Cthulhu... that much.
  4. Real Cthulhu. Because you can't NOT be surprised by that.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:16 pm

Dryunya wrote:My surprises:
  1. Tara's death. One subversion to rule them all. Absolutely didn't see that coming. Wrong Genre Savvy, woe me. :(
  2. The reveal that the echoes require an AR tool to be found... and that it doesn't work in my country. :cry:
  3. Sicon's showdown. You know, the players actually playing roles. After that, I wasn't even surprised by Adell's fighting real Cthulhu... that much.
  4. Real Cthulhu. Because you can't NOT be surprised by that.

4. Was a complete stinger for me, too. Not that I didn't expect us to see SOMETHING but the fact that we got this CGI cthulhu tearing a hole in the sky... knowing now that this was NOT planned from the very start just makes it all themore jawdropping.

Also, something I completely forgot until now: the witch sending me Adam's resume. Now THAT was a surprise and I still consider it my most valuable contribution (although I guess it actually required very little effort on my part :lol: )
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Next

Return to Questions for YOU