The Biggest Surprises?

We have a lot of questions for you, our players, that can help us understand what really worked and what we can improve on for next time.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Re: The Biggest Surprises?

Postby H22 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:52 pm

Scarab wrote:
Dryunya wrote:My surprises:
  1. Tara's death. One subversion to rule them all. Absolutely didn't see that coming. Wrong Genre Savvy, woe me. :(
  2. The reveal that the echoes require an AR tool to be found... and that it doesn't work in my country. :cry:
  3. Sicon's showdown. You know, the players actually playing roles. After that, I wasn't even surprised by Adell's fighting real Cthulhu... that much.
  4. Real Cthulhu. Because you can't NOT be surprised by that.

4. Was a complete stinger for me, too. Not that I didn't expect us to see SOMETHING but the fact that we got this CGI cthulhu tearing a hole in the sky... knowing now that this was NOT planned from the very start just makes it all themore jawdropping.

Also, something I completely forgot until now: the witch sending me Adam's resume. Now THAT was a surprise and I still consider it my most valuable contribution (although I guess it actually required very little effort on my part :lol: )

Cthulhu being real was AWESOME. It looked so cool! But Cthu himself was surprising. If all the Genre Savvy people (i.e. not me) had been saying 'oh, Cthu's coming' it wouldn't have been cool. But everyone was saying 'oh, it's not like Cthu's coming' made it brilliant. I particularly remember someone saying 'oh, he can't come, there are no more POIs' which, in retrospect makes me think 'What did you think he would do as a POI? Keep a blog?'. Which, I now realise, is a hilarious idea. I'm going to go work on a spoof.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:09 pm

Oh! You know what? Possibly the biggest surprise for me this whole game was my level of involvement in it. I really expected that I would just watch the proceedings, commenting rarely. If I could contribute to solving a puzzle or two that would be great.

And now here I am, one of the most active players, who wrote loads of refics and got two Echoes and a wall piece. Being named Meta-Robin was a complete shock, because I hadn't really processed yet that I'd played any kind of significant role in the game. I've always been a lurker on TVTropes. This level of activity and attention is unprecedented. But I'm glad I surprised myself.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:22 pm

Dilly's point stands for me as well... I always lurked everywhere I went. I only joined the ARG because I wanted to learn about them so I could actually play one day...

Turns out I got a Refic chosen... Needless to say, I looked like this: :shock:
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Endless Sea on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:25 pm

Being detached from the ARG as I was, I managed to take what I heard of everything in stride, mostly. Still, when Le Fay popped into the chatroom, it threw me for a bit of a loop, and the reveal that Admin-Prime broke the wall on purpose actually had me cursing into my microphone when I first heard about it on the voicechat.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.

RP news: Power Play and Sunset Drift are open for business! Bound by Faith may need a while to finish, though.
Endless Sea

Postby Dryunya on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:53 am

Oh, I remembered why I actually got surprised by Cthulhu's appearence, even knowing that the Metaguards could encounter the characters face to face: the livestream. Since no one could add the CGI in real time, livestream implied that everything was real (and so it was).
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Sophira on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:40 pm

Dryunya wrote:Oh, I remembered why I actually got surprised by Cthulhu's appearence, even knowing that the Metaguards could encounter the characters face to face: the livestream. Since no one could add the CGI in real time, livestream implied that everything was real (and so it was).

Well, the plan, before Cthulhu actually became real, was to livestream a part of my desktop, carefully cropped to only show the inside of a video player window.

In a way, though, I'm kind of glad I didn't need to do that. Means I didn't have to worry about any system sounds accidentally coming through in the stream.

I'm sorry guys please forgive me I hate myself for that
Sophira
Puppetmaster

Postby Scarab on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:44 pm

Sophira wrote:
Dryunya wrote:Oh, I remembered why I actually got surprised by Cthulhu's appearence, even knowing that the Metaguards could encounter the characters face to face: the livestream. Since no one could add the CGI in real time, livestream implied that everything was real (and so it was).

Well, the plan, before Cthulhu actually became real, was to livestream a part of my desktop, carefully cropped to only show the inside of a video player window.

In a way, though, I'm kind of glad I didn't need to do that. Means I didn't have to worry about any system sounds accidentally coming through in the stream.

*Glomps you and forgives all*
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Adell on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:19 am

Sophira wrote:

I don't know what you're apologizing for, that ding was me opening the app up alongside the livestream. ;)
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Dryunya on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:28 am

Ding? What ding? :o
I'll need to rewatch it now. :gurt:
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:50 am

Dryunya wrote:Ding? What ding? :o
I'll need to rewatch it now. :gurt:

...Darn it, I've already seen this thing six times or so, I am not watching somebody walking towards his Cthulhu fuelled death AGAIN
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby The Finch on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:32 am

Biggest Surprises?

The Death Of Tara, which completely broke Quixote and darkened the entire game; The Warning/Call of Cthulhu; The Witch reading the RPG, the wall piece having an image from the echoes on it, The Phantom's second Echo recognizing Batman and the forum, the reveal of the Adell/Cthulhu video, and learning that two PM's posting in my MLP thread.

Oh, and the Coffee Room. Definitely the Coffee Room.
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Postby Rick Healey on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:39 pm

The Finch wrote:... The Phantom's second Echo recognizing Batman and the forum...

Just to remind folks, this wasn't something we planned. The Phantom's echoes were completed before the game started. Highly amusing synchronicity (which the puppet masters laughed about well before you found the echo), but not something planned.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Previous

Return to Questions for YOU