Most Interesting Things You've Learned From The Post Mortem

We have a lot of questions for you, our players, that can help us understand what really worked and what we can improve on for next time.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Most Interesting Things You've Learned From The Post Mortem

Postby Connor Fallon on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:40 pm

I'm curious, because we are doing this, what has come to a surprise to you, and what you have enjoyed learning about. I'm sure most of you will have different things =P There is a lot that we have covered, and have yet to cover.
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Re: Most Interesting Things You've Learned From The Post Mor

Postby Pixelmage on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:49 pm

A lot.
One, actually reading about the inner workings of the ARG, technical aspects and design decisions, that stuff is really interesting for me. I mean, I played the game spending half of the time actually wondering about the thought process behind the decisions about each event. Trying to understand and anticipate what you guys would do, and I did call quite a few things and some really big ones, but mostly in private chats so I can't actually prove it now. :P . Learning about how this all came together is really the most amazing thing for me.

Second there was the fact that you guys would actually carry out the Adell is dead scenario if we failed to meet the milestone. That was one decision I simply couldn't make myself believe you would make.

And then there's everything else that I didn't actually process yet. This is so much good information that it'll take a while to actually absorb all of it. I already learned a lot, and I'm sure I'll make use of these lessons for many years to come. Thanks guys!
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby narrativedilettante on Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:32 am

Pixelmage wrote:And then there's everything else that I didn't actually process yet. This is so much good information that it'll take a while to actually absorb all of it. I already learned a lot, and I'm sure I'll make use of these lessons for many years to come. Thanks guys!

This.

Everything is fascinating, and I just want to know more and more.

I guess the most interesting thing for me is learning how much of what you did was made up late into the ARG. I'd already assumed that lots of stuff was adjusted or added in response to the direction players were taking things, but learning just how fast you managed to pull some of the things together (like Cthulhu) is amazing.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby EdwardTheAwesome on Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:58 pm

I learned that apparently you guys are all crazy, and are convinced that Joe and I don't exist =/And apparently you somehow took over our forum. I guess I can't change it back without having you all revolt.
EdwardTheAwesome
Site Admin

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:08 pm

No worries Ed. We all love you and Joe.
We promise not to break anything. ;)
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby BlackWolfe on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:00 pm

I'm still kind of reeling from the lack of reveal on Batman. GU17 was an actual player who actually managed to pull that many friends out of his utility belt?!
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
BlackWolfe

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:05 pm

BlackWolfe wrote:I'm still kind of reeling from the lack of reveal on Batman. GU17 was an actual player who actually managed to pull that many friends out of his utility belt?!

Tom already used Word Of God via Twitter to confirm that. XD
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby BlackWolfe on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:08 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
BlackWolfe wrote:I'm still kind of reeling from the lack of reveal on Batman. GU17 was an actual player who actually managed to pull that many friends out of his utility belt?!

Did he? *checks Twitter* Oh. Dude joined from unfiction, so apparently, he's an old pro at ARGing. That might explain it.

Anyway, things that surprised me from the Post-Mortem:

How insanely flexible the game turned out to be. All of you saying "We had plans for what would happen if X or Y," where I thought Y was a case of "You guys done ____ed up and lost the ARG."
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
BlackWolfe

Postby JackAlsworth on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:34 pm

Sicon112 wrote:

"Batman does not work for me" was one of my favorite Tom tweets during the game.
JackAlsworth

Postby Rick Healey on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:55 pm

I was actually somewhat surprised that we had to confirm that GU17 wasn't one of us at first.

That said, since I lurk on Unfiction (I only really actively posted there during the days of Perplex City), I knew he was from there. Though even I was surprised at just how good he was at getting things done. Seeing him in action, I knew the difference between an ARG player like me and a true veteran like him.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby S_o_S on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:22 am

JackAlsworth wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:

"Batman does not work for me" was one of my favorite Tom tweets during the game.

This, and the fact that it was in direct response to something I was saying in the chat at the time confirmed for me that the GMs were watching. I still had no idea that Tom was Greyscale though, until he came out.
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby Tom on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:28 pm

We were as stunned by Batman's abilities as you guys were.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Endless Sea on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:12 pm

Haven't read too much yet, but the amount of hidden GMs we had certainly threw me for a loop.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.

RP news: Power Play and Sunset Drift are open for business! Bound by Faith may need a while to finish, though.
Endless Sea

Postby Dryunya on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:56 am

Being all techy (even though not that much :? ), I like having learned the inner workings. The phone processing, the xovr scripts (even though you didn't tell me :lol: ), the hosting details. All that.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby screenstorming on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:20 pm

JackAlsworth wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:

When I read that tweet, my first thought was that it could mean that Tom worked for Batman. :P
screenstorming

Postby Tom on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:43 pm

"This is why Superman works alone."
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Scarab on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:46 pm

Most itneresting things I have learned from the post mortem

• Setting up a worldwide ARG is really, really difficult
  • It's amazing how much people can get done on absolutely zero sleep
  • Even Fanfiction can be utilised as a force of writing education AND a world saving method (which is actually just reaffirming preexisting suspicions, but it's nice to have them confirmed all the same)
  • Puzzles are hard, but immersion is surprisingly easy.
  • Being a GM requires not only a steely nerve and impeccable patience, but also the ability to adapt extremely rapidly to players doing crazy unexpected things that perhaps weren't entirely planned for.
  • I can now properly prepare cookie dough which does not go goopy and spread everywhere in the oven (THANK YOU TO THE FOOD GUY!)
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Tom on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:57 pm

It sounds like you learned at least as much from this as I did. :)
Tom
Puppetmaster

Return to Questions for YOU