Organizing People EVERYWHERE

This is for discussion of the technical aspects of the game as well as the puzzle and interactive design.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Organizing People EVERYWHERE

Postby Scarab on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:41 pm

While you guys clearly had a pretty good handle on everything that went on and all the events taking place during the ARG (especially considering how many people you had to work with and how far apart the players and actors were all located) what did you find most difficult about organizing the process? Were there any points where you found yourself really stuck? I know there were a couple of times when we just couldn't seem to solve a puzzle or reach a location...
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Re: Organizing People EVERYWHERE

Postby Eric Kays on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:50 pm

I think one of the more problematic elements of organizing this game was figuring out where players would be. We were expecting a larger crowd to play, so I think we mostly hoped the players would be at the locations we ordained for characters and events. The packages that we sent to the players was a bit of improv when we realized we had the materials to send them to the players. This allowed the players to go deeper into the game while giving us a key element: WE KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE. But seriously, this gave us an idea of where our players were up front so that we could modify plans and get materials to locations that you all were at. Australia was not even a wall piece location originally.
Eric Kays
Puppetmaster

Postby Tom on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:53 pm

Seconding what Eric said. We also expected that you folks would be able to surprise us, and reach out through connections to get to even obscure places.

The first person to demonstrate that this could work was Batman, and then everyone started doing it. It was a beautiful moment when Craigslist netted you guys an Echo.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Dana on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:00 pm

Try adding in that all of the Puppetmasters all also live very far away, many on other continents, and you'll see what an organizational nightmare this all was ;)
Dana
Puppetmaster

Postby Connor Fallon on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:03 pm

I still don't understand how none of you were in New York on San Francisco. Those cities are huge. We were sure those were safe bets! But lo, New York turned out to give some of the most problems until Batman showed up.

Fun Fact: I coined the Batman nickname. One of my favorite bits of behind the scenes manipulation.
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Postby Adell on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:36 pm

Connor Fallon wrote:I still don't understand how none of you were in New York on San Francisco. Those cities are huge. We were sure those were safe bets! But lo, New York turned out to give some of the most problems until Batman showed up.

Fun Fact: I coined the Batman nickname. One of my favorite bits of behind the scenes manipulation.

People were in New york, but lacked smartphones, :lol:
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Dana on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:37 pm

Adell wrote:
Connor Fallon wrote:I still don't understand how none of you were in New York on San Francisco. Those cities are huge. We were sure those were safe bets! But lo, New York turned out to give some of the most problems until Batman showed up.

People were in New york, but lacked smartphones, :lol:

You had friends! Until you melted their smartphones, anyway.
Dana
Puppetmaster

Postby Tom on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:37 pm

If I recall correctly, our team is spread across five countries.

Coordinating that was F-U-N.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Bill Cohen on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Tom wrote:If I recall correctly, our team is spread across five countries.

And three continents. And god knows how many time zones.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Bill Cohen
Puppetmaster

Postby Eric Kays on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:27 pm

Five.
Eric Kays
Puppetmaster

Postby YankeeWhite on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:26 am

I tried my part by starting the @FindTheEcho twitter feed. The idea came to me because I'd seen other grassroots ARGs gain attention by following people in the ARG community and decided to do the same for finding the Echoes. Hopefully it helped a little bit. :)
YankeeWhite

Postby Dana on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:28 am

:O

That was you?!

YOU ARE SO AMAZING
Dana
Puppetmaster

Postby Tom on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:30 am

Yeah, we were really pleased with all the attempts you guys made to reach people in remote locations. That twitter feed was a very encouraging sign to us that you were not going to give up on any echoes.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby YankeeWhite on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:32 am

Aww geez... it was my pleasure. :D Thanks Dana & Tom. Thanks everyone on the crew! Very well written and executed ARG experience!
YankeeWhite

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:33 am

I believe the pertinent quote about GuestUser17 that was said was "He's what would happen if Bruce Wayne didn't lose his parents and spent his fortune on playing games instead."

Thank you, YankeeWhite. I had actually been worried when you stopped posting in the forums that you had dropped the game; I'm so glad to see that you kept playing.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Connor Raikes on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:45 pm

Bill Cohen wrote:

"The Sun never sets on this ARG". :ugeek:
I consider myself a Renaissance Man; I wear a ruff, my teeth are rotted out and I burn Lutherans for fun.
Connor Raikes
Puppetmaster

Postby Dryunya on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:15 am

Connor Fallon wrote:Fun Fact: I coined the Batman nickname. One of my favorite bits of behind the scenes manipulation.

That was the best. Have a lime: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt:
Maybe we should put "Batman does not work for me" as a title quote on Tom's page. :D
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby The Finch on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:53 pm

Connor Raikes wrote:
Bill Cohen wrote:

"The Sun never sets on this ARG". :ugeek:

YOU

TAKE MY LIMES :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt:
I WANT YOU TO SAVE THE WALL AND WATCH PONIES
The Finch

Return to Technical & Interactive