Adell and Sicon

This is for discussion of the technical aspects of the game as well as the puzzle and interactive design.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Adell and Sicon

Postby Victin on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:08 pm

(O-O¬)

(¬O-O)

How did you do Sicon's and Adell's awesome parts in the ARG? How did you talk? When did you think about it? No, WHO thought about it? I'm curious!
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Re: Adell and Sicon

Postby Tom on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:15 pm

The players selected them to do cool things, and so cool things happened. Adell and Sicon are not going to say more because it would break immersion. Also it really happened. >.>

I think this mystery is more fun unresolved. :)
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Connor Fallon on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:16 pm

Alex Moser really wanted a player to die. It kind of went from there. Also it totally really happened.
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Postby Alexander Moser on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi everyone, don't read this if you don't want to know a few of the technical details regarding how these things (that really happened) would have been achieved if they hadn't really happened.

For the Cthulhu video part, I started modeling Cthulhu a fair bit in advance, but I still only ended up having about a week to finish up most of the modeling, texturing, and animation, which I only managed to finish overnight/the morning it came out. If you watch the video, the cuts between Adell's part, the Cabal's part, and the sky with Cthulhu and the wall crack are fairly noticeable; this afforded me the opportunity to work on that well in advance of us having the actual video.

Incidentally, I also ended up voicing the wicked witch due to technical problems on Connor Fallon's end (he would have been the voice of the witch otherwise) and recorded that at 4:00 AM during the last render of Cthulhu's animation, after which Tom did an excellent job of editing the audio. I'm sure he can tell you all about that.

If you want any more technical details so that you can make your very own Cthulhus in the future, I'd be thrilled to oblige although I may not have time to go into excessive detail for a day or two.

I'm glad people enjoyed it :gurt:
Last edited by Alexander Moser on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Actor (Joe, Wicked Witch), Video Director, Visual Effects/CG/Post-processing
Alexander Moser
Puppetmaster

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:21 pm

Alexander Moser wrote:Hi everyone, don't read this if you don't want to know a few of the technical details regarding how these things (that really happened) would have been achieved if they hadn't really happened.

For the Cthulhu video part, I started modeling Cthulhu a fair bit in advance, but I still only ended up having about a week or two finish up most of the modeling, texturing, and animation, which I only managed to finish overnight/the morning it came out. If you watch the video, the cuts between Adell's part, the Cabal's part, and the sky with Cthulhu and the wall crack are fairly noticeable; this afforded me the opportunity to work on that well in advance of us having the actual video.

Incidentally, I also ended up voicing the wicked witch due to technical problems on Connor Fallon's end (he would have been the voice of the witch otherwise) and recorded that at 4:00 AM during the last render of Cthulhu's animation, after which Tom did an excellent job of editing the audio. I'm sure he can tell you all about that.

If you want any more technical details so that you can make your very own Cthulhus in the future, I'd be thrilled to oblige although I may not have time to go into excessive detail for a day or two.

I'm glad people enjoyed it :gurt:

Yikes, how long were you up? I was up for about 40 some odd hours straight plotting traps and such, plus that stupid curse wouldn't let me sleep. ;)
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Tom on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:24 pm

Sicon112 wrote:Yikes, how long were you up? I was up for about 40 some odd hours straight plotting traps and such, plus that stupid curse wouldn't let me sleep. ;)

Yeah, sorry we really sent the witch to your house. In retrospect, it would have been easier for us to just ask you to record some audio for us that I could edit until 7 in the morning the night before it had to go live. ;)
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Alexander Moser on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:24 pm

I managed to sleep a fair bit, fortunately, but only at the weirdest times, although I don't think I slept at all over the last 24 hours. It took a lot of total hours to finish, but I managed the time reasonably well all things considered, so I didn't kill myself.
Actor (Joe, Wicked Witch), Video Director, Visual Effects/CG/Post-processing
Alexander Moser
Puppetmaster

Postby Connor Fallon on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:26 pm

If these things totally hadn't actually happened, the thing with the Witch would have been planned on the spot because of the close election to face Cthulhu.

Also, Alex and I would have had a long argument about who got to play the witch. But this is only theoretical, as the Witch actually nearly turned Sicon into a chair. Don't let him fool you, he was SCREWED. That woman is scary.
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:39 pm

Connor Fallon wrote:If these things totally hadn't actually happened, the thing with the Witch would have been planned on the spot because of the close election to face Cthulhu.

Also, Alex and I would have had a long argument about who got to play the witch. But this is only theoretical, as the Witch actually nearly turned Sicon into a chair. Don't let him fool you, he was SCREWED. That woman is scary.

If this weren't all real I would have spent hours doing physics calculations, measurements, and digging through my mess of a basement in order to create traps that were physically possible and would have a trigger time fast enough to be effective even in that circumstance. ;)
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Scarab on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:42 pm

Sicon112 wrote:
Connor Fallon wrote:If these things totally hadn't actually happened, the thing with the Witch would have been planned on the spot because of the close election to face Cthulhu.

If this weren't all real I would have spent hours doing physics calculations, measurements, and digging through my mess of a basement in order to create traps that were physically possible and would have a trigger time fast enough to be effective even in that circumstance. ;)

Sicon, as you have all probably guessed, is a bit like that kid from Home Alone, except less irritating, and (presumably) not as short.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:45 pm

Scarab wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:

Sicon, as you have all probably guessed, is a bit like that kid from Home Alone, except less irritating, and (presumably) not as short.

My middle name sounds like MacGuyver! If I didn't learn how to do that, no one would ever shut up...
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Adell on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:47 pm

It's simple really! I got this app from an unknown source, went to a forest and shot lasers at a giant tentacle monster. And then i passed out. The events in question are kind of fuzzy to me because of the concussion, but hey it matches the livestream video so it MUST BE TRUE :o
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Scarab on Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:50 pm

Adell wrote:It's simple really! I got this app from an unknown source, went to a forest and shot lasers at a giant tentacle monster. And then i passed out. The events in question are kind of fuzzy to me because of the concussion, but hey it matches the livestream video so it MUST BE TRUE :o

Yeah, concussions are terribly inconvenient, aren't they? Especially in as place where fictional narrative is subsuming reality at an extremely high density (ie. there are tropes flying bloody everywhere) and thus, concussions become even more prone to blocking out the memory of previous events than concussions usually are. :P
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:05 pm

Can you give us a copy of the app, Adell? When I get my pad back, I want it to be able to shoot lasers at abominations.
(It would be even better if it would shoot weaponized Hercule Poirots, but with elephants. :gurt: )
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Dana on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:40 pm

The only phone the app was installed on has melted. Sorry, man.
Dana
Puppetmaster

Postby Scarab on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:43 pm

Dana wrote:The only phone the app was installed on has melted. Sorry, man.

Welp, better hope Cthulhu never nearly breaks through the wall ever again.
Scarab

Postby Blurred_9L on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:46 pm

Scarab wrote:

I'm pretty sure it has been revealed that... there was never an app...
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Scarab on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:51 pm

Blurred_9L wrote:
Scarab wrote:

I'm pretty sure it has been revealed that... there was never an app...

Shhhhhhh. Immersion :P Are we still doing that thing?
Scarab

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:56 pm

What immersion? Of course there was an app; you don't think Adell just shot a purple sparkly Cthulhu-killing thing out of his FINGERS, do you?

Wait, now that I come to think of it, that makes sense. The app is just a coverup so nobody will know just how strong his Power of Heart is. :gurt:
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Scarab on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:59 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:What immersion? Of course there was an app; you don't think Adell just shot a purple sparkly Cthulhu-killing thing out of his FINGERS, do you?

Wait, now that I come to think of it, that makes sense. The app is just a coverup so nobody will know just how strong his Power of Heart is. :gurt:

I repeat: please remember who is DRAWING this stuff :lol:

On a mroe relevant note, I kind of wish that app really existedjust so we could download it. Yes I know it doens't actually do anything, but if nothing else it's PRETTY and when people ask we can tell them it saved the world from cthulhu. :D
Scarab

Postby S_o_S on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Scarab wrote:
Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:What immersion? Of course there was an app; you don't think Adell just shot a purple sparkly Cthulhu-killing thing out of his FINGERS, do you?

On a mroe relevant note, I kind of wish that app really existedjust so we could download it. Yes I know it doens't actually do anything, but if nothing else it's PRETTY and when people ask we can tell them it saved the world from cthulhu. :D

Scarab, it shoots lightning. We can't possibly be trusted with such power, especially not me.
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby Scarab on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:06 pm

S_o_S wrote:Scarab, it shoots lightning. We can't possibly be trusted with such power, especially not me.

I'd trust us with it.

Well, most of us. ;)
Scarab

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:06 pm

S_o_S wrote:
Scarab wrote:

Scarab, it shoots lightning. We can't possibly be trusted with such power, especially not me.

According to Mr. Administrator, I can breathe lightning. so I think I can be trusted with a phone app. :lol:
eli_gone_crazy

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:24 pm

eli_gone_crazy wrote:According to Mr. Administrator, I can breathe lightning. so I think I can be trusted with a phone app. :lol:

No, according to Mr. Administrator you're nice. Oh, and can also breathe lightning. With elephants.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Blurred_9L on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:35 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:
eli_gone_crazy wrote:According to Mr. Administrator, I can breathe lightning. so I think I can be trusted with a phone app. :lol:

No, according to Mr. Administrator you're nice. Oh, and can also breathe lightning. With elephants.

:/ I thought he cried lightning... but okay... Actually, that should be a question, let me go ask.
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Next

Return to Technical & Interactive