Christmas Carol

This is for discussion of the technical aspects of the game as well as the puzzle and interactive design.

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Christmas Carol

Postby Scarab on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:28 am

So you’ve probably realised a lot of us are working on an audio drama based on the Christmas Carol Storyline. Just wanted to check we’re good to keep going with that.

We SEEM to be staying within Tom’s stated requirements for fan projects (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=862#p36750), so far as I can ascertain, but I just wanted to make absolutely sure we were okay to write and perform this?

I mean, it’s a fan project so it’s not like it’s canon anyway, and also, the overall story doesn’t really change any of your characters much (I think the only thing Mister a is actually going to learn from the whole experience is that he should clean his keyboard, that Instantiations can’t be reintegrated at Christmas, and that Goose is traditional... but it seems only right to ask, since we’d be playing with your character.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Re: Christmas Carol

Postby RotavatoR on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:38 am

Also, I was thinking if maybe you could find a way to make it canon and add some references to the Carol in future Echo Chamber episodes. You've elevated things to canon before :P
EDIT: I'm not sure if we've decided that Joe and Ed wouldn't be in here at all, but would you allow that?
RotavatoR

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:46 am

Scarab wrote:So you’ve probably realised a lot of us are working on an audio drama based on the Christmas Carol Storyline. Just wanted to check we’re good to keep going with that.

We SEEM to be staying within Tom’s stated requirements for fan projects (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=862#p36750), so far as I can ascertain, but I just wanted to make absolutely sure we were okay to write and perform this?

I mean, it’s a fan project so it’s not like it’s canon anyway, and also, the overall story doesn’t really change any of your characters much (I think the only thing Mister a is actually going to learn from the whole experience is that he should clean his keyboard, that Instantiations can’t be reintegrated at Christmas, and that Goose is traditional... but it seems only right to ask, since we’d be playing with your character.

CORRECTION. TURKEY.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:02 pm

The Wild West Pyro wrote:
Scarab wrote:So you’ve probably realised a lot of us are working on an audio drama based on the Christmas Carol Storyline. Just wanted to check we’re good to keep going with that.

CORRECTION. TURKEY.

In the book, it's a goose. Traditions get muddled and changed over the years, and by location. If we're sticking to A Christmas Carol, it makes more sense for it to be a goose. (If I'm remembering correctly, and if I'm not then I'm sorry.)
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Tom on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:54 pm

If it's firmly a fan work, then it's a level deeper and that's fine.

If it's going to be canon, you will need us to look it over. Where's all the information located? I know there are many threads.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Blurred_9L on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:00 pm

This is the main topic

Audtions for Mr. Administrator and Narrator

Auditions for Cheshire

FAQ and other stuff

It's usually Scarab the one who is coordinating everything. Story writing is handled by BlackWolfe, though I'm pretty sure it's safer to ask Scarab about it.
Last edited by Blurred_9L on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby narrativedilettante on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:02 pm

Tom wrote:If it's firmly a fan work, then it's a level deeper and that's fine.

If it's going to be canon, you will need us to look it over. Where's all the information located? I know there are many threads.

I believe (though I'm not heavily involved in its creation) that it is firmly a fan work.

There's a link in the main thread to a dedicated chatroom for discussing it live. A lot of stuff hasn't been decided yet, and I'm not sure that there is currently a place to easily see all the decisions that have been made (the discussions have been kind of muddled and confusing from my point of view) but the big stuff is all at least linked from the thread.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby RotavatoR on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:05 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:
Tom wrote:If it's firmly a fan work, then it's a level deeper and that's fine.

I believe (though I'm not heavily involved in its creation) that it is firmly a fan work.

There's a link in the main thread to a dedicated chatroom for discussing it live. A lot of stuff hasn't been decided yet, and I'm not sure that there is currently a place to easily see all the decisions that have been made (the discussions have been kind of muddled and confusing from my point of view) but the big stuff is all at least linked from the thread.

So far it's been regarded as fan work. No-one intended for the Carol to become canon, and even now, some people might be against it. It's just an idea I got, nothing official yet. The thing is that I kinda WANT the Carol to be canon, but I have no idea what other people's thoughts about this are.
Last edited by RotavatoR on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RotavatoR

Postby Rick Healey on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Based on my review of it (and I've been keeping tabs... one of my jobs has been to keep tabs on everything in the forums), it's firmly fan work, as some of the ideas will run afoul of canon at certain points (I think they already know which ones, so no need to point them out).

I have to admit, part of me considered, as Nitrogenous Base, to volunteer for a part. I didn't when I realized that'd probably reveal my status as a puppet master, because my voice was already in several spots in the ARG. Also, I don't want anyone trying an argument "A puppet master got involved; it has to be canon!" Much easier to sidestep that by not participating. Good luck with production, though.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby BlackWolfe on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:18 pm

Blurred_9L wrote:It's usually Scarab the one who is coordinating everything. Story writing is handled by BlackWolfe, though I'm pretty sure it's safer to ask Scarab about it.

It's perfectly safe to ask me anything. All answers will come in the form of "ARGH I AM SLEEP DEPRIVED AND YOUR QUESTION WAS ANSWERED THREE DAYS AGO BECAUSE I DIDN'T HAVE INTERNET ACCESS DUE TO WORK" but that's not, like, lethal or anything.
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
BlackWolfe

Postby Blurred_9L on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:20 pm

BlackWolfe wrote:
Blurred_9L wrote:It's usually Scarab the one who is coordinating everything. Story writing is handled by BlackWolfe, though I'm pretty sure it's safer to ask Scarab about it.

It's perfectly safe to ask me anything. All answers will come in the form of "ARGH I AM SLEEP DEPRIVED AND YOUR QUESTION WAS ANSWERED THREE DAYS AGO BECAUSE I DIDN'T HAVE INTERNET ACCESS DUE TO WORK" but that's not, like, lethal or anything.

:/ Sorry, didn't mean to offend you...
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby BlackWolfe on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Blurred_9L wrote:
BlackWolfe wrote:

:/ Sorry, didn't mean to offend you...

I was mainly mocking myself, dude. :D I would say for any and all things not directly involving putting words into the Google Doc, yes, ask Scarab. For the word-putty-in parts, the answer is "oh my god I have been at work for twenty-two hours straight someone please shoot me, and, oh, by the way, slight delay because impending coma".
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
BlackWolfe

Postby Scarab on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:41 pm

BlackWolfe wrote:I was mainly mocking myself, dude. I would say for any and all things not directly involving putting words into the Google Doc, yes, ask Scarab. For the word-putty-in parts, the answer is "oh my god I have been at work for twenty-two hours straight someone please shoot me, and, oh, by the way, slight delay because impending coma".

Yeah I think I have slowly come to the realisation that this is pretty much the ENTIRE POINT of me in this thing. :D I like BlackWolfe sane and not comatosed and everything. I'll message him everything he needs to know and then he can attack ME in his sleep deprived madness, thus sparing all your lives.

Don't say I never do anything nice for you guys.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:27 pm

Scarab wrote:
BlackWolfe wrote:I was mainly mocking myself, dude. I would say for any and all things not directly involving putting words into the Google Doc, yes, ask Scarab. For the word-putty-in parts, the answer is "oh my god I have been at work for twenty-two hours straight someone please shoot me, and, oh, by the way, slight delay because impending coma".

Yeah I think I have slowly come to the realisation that this is pretty much the ENTIRE POINT of me in this thing. :D I like BlackWolfe sane and not comatosed and everything. I'll message him everything he needs to know and then he can attack ME in his sleep deprived madness, thus sparing all your lives.

Don't say I never do anything nice for you guys.

Why would anyone say that? As the official media coordinator for the Metaguards, you've done plenty for us. From our theme to the carol, you've called many of us to action. That in and of itself is going above and beyond your original duties/programming.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Krika on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:50 pm

I have figured out what I think a good term to describe how the carol interacts with the main EC-verse.

Omake.

(Sorry, this is the result of a good 30 minutes of Sicon putting up with me trying to figure out how the hell to describe this without referencing meta or fictional layers. As far as I can tell, Omake is a pretty good way to describe this, so.....good?)
Krika
>Narra has tiny jerk people in her socks.
>We are affirming our collective jerkhood by committing genocide on them.
Guyshane
>I'm going to read the logs and pray that that sentence makes more sense in context
>No
>No it does not
Krika

Location: Usually my dorm, with my laptop. Oh, you meant city? Rochester, in the freezing state of New York.

Postby Tom on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:16 am

Context?
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Rick Healey on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:29 am

"Omake" - Japanese for "bonus" (or, around here, bonsus"), it's frequently used to describe non-canon materials created to be a light-hearted take on things that happened in-canon. Most frequently used for four-panel comics done to make jokes about what happened in a given volume of manga, or clips of less than two minutes done as extras for an anime's DVD release.

Not quite the right word, because omake is made by the original crew. Now, if the puppet masters were making this as a non-canon joke, it could be called omake.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Tom on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:57 am

I'm starting to come round to the view that the only way to make the ARG's place in the metaverse more confusing, is for there to be fan work of it.

Steel collapses under its own weight at 5 miles. Dryu's diagram might be about to, as well.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Connor Fallon on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:05 am

Is there a script for this yet?
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Postby narrativedilettante on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:06 am

narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby BlackWolfe on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:16 am

Connor Fallon wrote:Is there a script for this yet?

As the putty-wordy-bits-in guy, I'm really curious what you think of my characterizations of Mr. A and Chesh so far. Particularly Chesh, as holy crap is that guy fun to write for.
BlackWolfe

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Tom wrote:I'm starting to come round to the view that the only way to make the ARG's place in the metaverse more confusing, is for there to be fan work of it.

Steel collapses under its own weight at 5 miles. Dryu's diagram might be about to, as well.

Does that mean that our model is overly complicated? :(
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby BlackWolfe on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Dryunya wrote:
Tom wrote:I'm starting to come round to the view that the only way to make the ARG's place in the metaverse more confusing, is for there to be fan work of it.

Not necessarily. Just that the concept itself can get complicated.

Neil Gaiman wrote:One describes a tale best by telling the tale. You see? The way one describes a story, to oneself or the world, is by telling the story. It is a balancing act and it is a dream. The more accurate the map, the more it resembles the territory. The most accurate map possible would be the territory, and thus would be perfectly accurate and perfectly useless. The tale is the map that is the territory.
BlackWolfe

Postby Rick Healey on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:54 pm

Dryunya wrote:

Depends on who you ask. I think you overcomplucated it, yes. But to be fair, even the puppetmasters have competing metaverse theories, all of which could work.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Tom on Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:38 pm

Dryunya wrote:Does that mean that our model is overly complicated? :(

Not at all! I said elsewhere I think it's more or less accurate. I was just making a joke about how if we make it any more complicated, it will collapse in on itself and form a singularity.

"Overly complicated", no. Exactly complicated enough, which is to say, extremely complicated.
Tom
Puppetmaster

Next

Return to Technical & Interactive