Getting hung up on meta...

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Getting hung up on meta...

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:37 am

I realize there are reasons why things don't need an explanation to just work smoothly on-screen, but it's 3 in the morning, and my meta is bothering me.
So two things: How did the Cabal find each other? Because "set up a secret chat site with an obscure name and all write threatening letters to the same person" really does not help me come up with an explanation for how anything.
Also, how did they get their Wall Piece? I mean, as far as any of us could tell, the Mr. A-face-in-an-Echo that they followed (never mind wondering how they knew that following Mr. A's face would lead them to a Wall Piece...) was the one from the Echo in which they stole the Wall Piece. It is at this point that my brain explodes.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Re: Getting hung up on meta...

Postby Connor Fallon on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:46 am

Okay, I'm actually going to tell you to go to sleep now =P

Go to sleep, Qara.
Design Lead
@ConnorEFallon
Connor Fallon
Puppetmaster

Postby S_o_S on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:27 am

Connor, we've been saying that for weeks. SHE DOESN'T LISTEN.
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:12 am

S_o_S wrote:Connor, we've been saying that for weeks. SHE DOESN'T LISTEN.

No, I did this time. Check the chatlogs for proof.
Well, Excuse me, Princess, but I can't be predictable now, can I?
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:22 am

Look at the timestamps Q. You didn't sleep nearly enough hours!

Anyway, the pheeble chat really bugged me for a while. Until I decided to go "Screw it, Narrative Handwave and I'm done thinking about this." and stopped trying to understand. There should be a traceable, logical path to justify it.
But that would mean we would potentially be able to follow and crash into their turf. :P
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Tohrinha on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:13 pm

For the Wall Piece, Morgan mentioned in her emails to me that they followed the shard, not the intact Echo. Perhaps they recognized the setting and went to investigate.
Tohrinha
Meta-Knight

Postby narrativedilettante on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:13 pm

Tohrinha wrote:For the Wall Piece, Morgan mentioned in her emails to me that they followed the shard, not the intact Echo. Perhaps they recognized the setting and went to investigate.

So the shard is a self-fulfilling prophecy in this case.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Dana on Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:40 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:
Tohrinha wrote:For the Wall Piece, Morgan mentioned in her emails to me that they followed the shard, not the intact Echo. Perhaps they recognized the setting and went to investigate.

So the shard is a self-fulfilling prophecy in this case.

Exactly. They figured that, if it hadn't already happened, then they would basically need to convene together at SOME PLACE and the wall piece would happen to be there.

And so it was.

As for Pheeble, well...Erik gave it a very specific set of SEO keywords :D THAT IS MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT!
Dana
Puppetmaster

Postby Scarab on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:35 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:
S_o_S wrote:Connor, we've been saying that for weeks. SHE DOESN'T LISTEN.

No, I did this time. Check the chatlogs for proof.
Well, Excuse me, Princess, but I can't be predictable now, can I?

You keep trying to make me go to sleep at a reasonable hour and now I find you've been on at THREE AM? QARA! :x
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Tom on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:22 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:I realize there are reasons why things don't need an explanation to just work smoothly on-screen, but it's 3 in the morning, and my meta is bothering me.
So two things: How did the Cabal find each other? Because "set up a secret chat site with an obscure name and all write threatening letters to the same person" really does not help me come up with an explanation for how anything.
Also, how did they get their Wall Piece? I mean, as far as any of us could tell, the Mr. A-face-in-an-Echo that they followed (never mind wondering how they knew that following Mr. A's face would lead them to a Wall Piece...) was the one from the Echo in which they stole the Wall Piece. It is at this point that my brain explodes.

wizards
Tom
Puppetmaster

Postby Val Reznitskaya on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:49 pm

I think the story with the wall piece was the Mr. A expected them to find it because of the shard. So he got an agent to move it in an attempt to prevent that from happening. But the agent wasn't very smart and left a Layar letter there, which the Cabal found using means similar to the locator puzzle. They went to investigate the letter and found a wall piece instead. So self-fulfilling prophecy indeed.

...Or anyway, it was something along those lines. We decided it was best if it never came up in-game.
Val Reznitskaya
Puppetmaster

Return to The Cabal