Miscellaneous Tidbits and Trivia

Moderator: Post Mortem Mods

Miscellaneous Tidbits and Trivia

Postby Ben Plante on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:44 pm

This threads's first purpose: So there's something you should know about me. I love referencing stuff. ALL THE TIME! ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE! Blatantly, subtly, whatever. I did this a lot with DQ's arc, call them references, or nods, or homages, whatever. I'm gonna actually go through EVERYTHING I DID and pick them all out. See how many you got. :D

This thread's second purpose: So I can tell you stuff that you didn't think to ask about but I wanna tell you.

Oh, and don't think this thread is just for me to post the factoids, if you wanna react/talk/anything, don't go start a new thread, just reply here.

So yeah, this is what happening. ... But not right away. Probably starting tomorrow. It'll take a while.

Here's something to at least start: As Connor mentioned on another thread, Don Quixote's first shirt being orange and blue, and then his eventual replacement shirt being orange and black, was a reference to Naruto's two outfit colors in that series. I like Naruto. :3

Also, originally Kenneth Tripky was gonna be DQ's final villain, but he was too bland and blah. I couldn't think of a way to make him anymore than mini-boss material.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/ben.plante.5 Twitter @blinus42
"Of course it's all happening inside your head. But why on Earth should that mean it's not real?"~Albus Dumbledore
"FINE! I'm naive! ...But I'm not wrong."~Tenma Kenzou
Ben Plante
Puppetmaster

Re: Miscellaneous Tidbits and Trivia

Postby Rick Healey on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:50 pm

I also will note that, much to Ben's chagrin, I did actively limit what he could include. There were a hurricane of references that he didn't include due to me harping on him. I appreciate that he took that in stride.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby Ben Plante on Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:06 pm

You thought I took it in stride? I'm pretty sure I deliberately baited you a couple times as revenge. :P

Anyway, let's go through this stuff. I know Tara's blog began MUCH earlier, but we're starting with DQ stuff.

This may end up more like a Director's commentary than 'tidbits' because I like to talk. Oh, by the way, Brad is basically an Author Avatar. There was no 'getting into a mindset' when it came to becoming him.

So, first off, as was noticed early on, I was doing this from a PC all along, not from a smartphone like DQ was, because I don't own one. So... ignore that. Seriously, no other explanation, pretend it didn't say 'from web'. Suspension of disbelief.

"I BELIEVE I WILL ASK THIS YOUNG LAD FOR ASSISTANCE."
Hi Brad! In the earliest stages the young lad was nobody. This was back in, like, April, when this was written.

"Character limit has been explained to me. An absurd rule."
IT IS.

"Good night, Techno Pansa. You seem to be what is called "technology" in this world, so that is my name for you."
I actually regret not including Techno more after Brad became the 'sancho', it was a character in itself.

"Every so often, somebody inside of a metallic object as gone past at an absurd speed. I’ve hidden every time."
"...Or perhaps not, an earlier entry reads "as gone past" instead of "HAS gone past". The brick won't let me chance it. Techno, you cur."
This was an actual typo that I decided to make an... actual typo that... actually happened. FACTUALLY.

Later Don receives some reward money. I didn't wanna dwell on the money issue, so I made this flimsy excuse for why he had money. In fact, later, before his first meeting with Deanna, he says he's running short, and then it never comes up again. Deanna gave him money. I never actually had him say that though.

"I have procured clothing with my earlier reward. Orange and blue should help me stand out."
Dattebayo.

Armor talk. Armor missing. Why did it appear in a dryer? ... ... ... Write your fanfics, because I don't friggin' know.

That's all for now. We'll get through it all, though as we go there'll be less quoting the actual tweets and constant C&Ping is just annoying. :D
"Of course it's all happening inside your head. But why on Earth should that mean it's not real?"~Albus Dumbledore
Ben Plante
Puppetmaster

Postby Flitterbie on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Ben Plante wrote:Armor talk. Armor missing. Why did it appear in a dryer? ... ... ... Write your fanfics, because I don't friggin' know.

I just assumed Nick's wife's ghost did it, because she was secretly a horrible person, and continues that into the afterlife.
Flitterbie

Postby Ben Plante on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:43 pm

One of the most important things I can say here is that not everything was super tightly planned. As the story went on, plans changed, things broadened, filler was added, etc. I'm not saying I completely made it up as I went, I mean, if I thought of an idea I still saw it through to its conclusion, but it's not like the whole thing was planned from before the game started.

There was the initial outline with Tripky as the main villain, but when I realized how blah he was, This was shifted to Deanna.

Deanna was actually created specifically because you guys found Tara's blog earlier than you should've, and I needed a little bit of story stretching. When I decided to make her the villain, I weaved her into the plot, and decided that making her utterly delusional, and also a troper, would provide a good foil. The fact that she was originally going to be a man almost meant I wouldn't have been able to have Don learn that one gender isn't necessarily innocent, and the other not necessarily strong. But that worked into his development really well, so I'm glad I was able to do that.

Ultimately, despite things getting a little messy plotwise and a lot messy with the whole focus-stealing, she enabled Don to grow a lot more than he originally would have. Had I not been able to do that, I would've been dissatisfied as far as story. Thankfully I managed.
Ben Plante
Puppetmaster

Return to Don Quixote