Nick Farrell

This is for anything related to on-topic WTF discussion.

Re: Nick Farrell

Postby Victin on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:28 pm

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:
Dryunya wrote:In that case we should come up with a list of questions and tropers who are ready to ask them.

I was going to ask about his wife. It would look something like this:

Where's your wife during all this? She doesn't show up in the video and doesn't speak.

Didn't she die?
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Dryunya on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:29 pm

That's just a theory. I bet my bottom that he doesn't think this way.

Where's your wife during all this? She doesn't show up in the video and doesn't speak.

...and I have no idea why I didn't ask that earlier. :)
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:34 pm

Victin wrote:
WackyMeetsPractical wrote:
Dryunya wrote:In that case we should come up with a list of questions and tropers who are ready to ask them.

I was going to ask about his wife. It would look something like this:

Didn't she die?

We have no idea yet. All we know is that this man likes to talk to his wife in his videos, referred to her in the past tense once, and she is never seen or heard in the videos. There's also an ad in the paper about a man who can't find his wife, but we don't even know if it's the same man.

Of course, my theory is that he and his wife are fictional characters, and he passed through and she didn't.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:00 pm

KFSebnti25 wrote:

We're going to need a list of control questions to set the tone and test if he'll react to it as a normal person should, and Armor-Piercing Questions as a last resort for us to ask, just in case he starts to catch on to what's happening.

A few examples that were asked already by you (from "Armor?"):

By the way, what was so exciting about the washing machine? =/
Do you have any idea where they bring the garbage?

And a few others I just thought of:

"Can you check the original video file data for a time strip function to tell us what date it was exactly?"
"What did you record this with?"

(Both of those are important, because nearly all camera/recording software in newer cameras always have hidden functions to denote when it was taken. For some recording devices like cellphones, the original name of the file is a numerical system that tells the date, the file sequence number, and the image extension.)

"What's the name of the company that is zoned to pick up that particular dumpster, and would he be willing to film it from every viable and possible angle, so we can determine it pending further analysis and observation?"

(This is so we have physical evidence we can reference, in case we need to track down his chain-mail for Echoes and leads. It's also highly possible that Echoes were left behind at both his place of residence and the dumpster, which is another thing we should ask about. If he's willing to sweep his residence for Echoes, he'll actually kill two birds with one stone for us.)

Edit: Pending further observation from past interactions with Fictionals that have been hostile (The Letters), he may or may not be aware of his condition, origins, and nature.

Dryunya wrote:Of course, my theory is that he and his wife are fictional characters, and he passed through and she didn't.

It would be best not to ask about wife but should be one of our questions, should he prove passive in temperament and is willing to share his data-- I mean, thoughts and feelings. After all, if she *is* dead/missing, asking about her would be pushing his Berserk Button. It's a plausible deduction, but requires more observation.

I thought our plan was to sound like casual lurkers. Those questions sound kind of stalker-ish. I definitely don't think we need to be asking him to take videos of the dumpster or the garbage truck. That just sounds weird. Besides, if any echoes were going to show up there, it would have likely already happened, and we would have known.

And we should definitely be asking about the wife. The wife might be a key component here. Even if we do press his beserk button, that's a good thing, at least we'll have a better idea what her status is, which could help us identify her.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Dryunya on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:08 pm

WackyMeetsPractical wrote: Those questions sound kind of stalker-ish. I definitely don't think we need to be asking him to take videos of the dumpster or the garbage truck. That just sounds weird. Besides, if any echoes were going to show up there, it would have likely already happened, and we would have known.

This. The questions about exact time, location, etc are pretty personal - I wouldn't answer these if I were asked. :?
Also, Mr. A notifies us about the echoes, and, considering that the echoes correspond to comic book pages, he probably won't get more of these (well, maybe one or two more).

And, contradicting what I said earlier in this post, I'm willing to ask him about his wife. It's way too direct, but I don't want to wait and beat around the bush. Also, from what I see, it would be difficult to organize the hivemind around one particular person. ;) Besides, unless we push too hard, it's not like he's going to say "actually, my wife is long dead, and I'm just talking to myself". At first, we'll just get some hints about the nature of his delusion (which I assume him to have :) ).
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Dryunya on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:20 pm

I think the size of the list of metaguards who give me the creeps has just increased by one.
Dryunya

Postby Dryunya on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:08 pm

Offtop: both KFSebnti25's twitter and a forum account were created about a day ago, and he speaks in character (And I could swear I said I'd shoot RPing people on sight). He's totally TheJester, or his Man Behind The Man. :|

Problem? :mrgreen:
Dryunya

Postby NeverSlender on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:28 pm

I dislike people playing this ARG in character.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Zup on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:34 pm

NeverSlender wrote:I dislike people playing this ARG in character.

Drama geeks need an outlet, I suppose.

I just wish it wasn't in every post.
The wall will fall, if they stay; then we'll fight another day.
Never fear, the tropers here will help the written find their way.
Zup
Meta-Knight

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:36 pm

NeverSlender wrote:I dislike people playing this ARG in character.

It can get bothersome if they are overt about it, but if they just keep it to acceptable levels it doesn't annoy me too much. Just keep an eye out in case someone tries another false lead.

Though he is right about getting back on track, so let's get this thing going. I'm going to head of to YouTube and check something that I noticed... it's probably not going to be anything though.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Sicon112 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:38 pm

Tch. Another dead end. What a pain. Back to the drawing board...
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dryunya on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:43 am

Dude, I think you're contradicting your own idea of sounding inconspicuous.
Also, Nick has stopped responding anyway.
Dryunya

Postby Dryunya on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:26 pm

This is one hell of a necropost.
He posted a new video, and I have a feeling it's the last one.
Yep, she was Dead All Along.
Dryunya

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:36 pm

But if I remember correctly, the hummingbird one... I think it was the second, had a low woman's voice in the background at the very end. So...
Can I get you guys a bit spooked by that?
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby S_o_S on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:39 pm

I'd like to encourage those with the technology to analyse this video. I'm on a laptop, but the ground beside the tombstone in the end of the video looks really suspicious to me.
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby Dryunya on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:47 pm

Getting on that when I get back home.
Dryunya

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Can anybody read the name on the tombstone? I can not.

S_o_S wrote:I'd like to encourage those with the technology to analyse this video. I'm on a laptop, but the ground beside the tombstone in the end of the video looks really suspicious to me.

I don't need much more than my eyes to see that there's a color difference there. That's a very obvious square of green grass surrounded by mostly dead, leaf colored grass. I'm thinking they must have used some sort of set piece to place that grave there, and what you see there is like a green mat or something made to look like grass. I don't think it's a clue, just some special effects failure.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby BlackWolfe on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:31 pm

WackyMeetsPractical wrote:Can anybody read the name on the tombstone? I can not.

"Farrell"

Well, to be more accurate, "F_RRELL", as the A is a bit blurred by artifacting.
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
BlackWolfe

Postby Dryunya on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:59 am

Okay, I watched it a couple of times, did the usual sound checks, and I don't hear anything suspicious. So, I believe it's just a video to wrap up his storyline. Just a guy who lost his wife, and has a Sanity Slippage because of it. Or maybe he has come in terms with it and will get better.

I say we're done here.

(But yeah, the grass around the tombstone is green.)
Dryunya

Previous

Return to General Discussion