Creation of the TVTropes Page

This is for anything related to on-topic WTF discussion.

Creation of the TVTropes Page

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:52 pm

So, this thread is for overall discussion on modifications to the TV Tropes page. However, while it is the place for all modification suggestions and thoughts, it was started due to something that occurred to me.

As seen in the "sending them back" dilemma thread, it seems to be the best course of action to try and send the ARG over the wall at some later date to see what happens. While that course of action is still under debate, preliminary motions that still allow us to back out if we deem the plan unwise should probably be taken. As such, what if we began adding tropers involved with the ARG to the character sheet, giving tropes that they use within the plot of the ARG? It could be a first step to further fictionalizing things, but it would not carry us too far along that path. Thoughts?
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Re: Creation of the TVTropes Page

Postby Scarab on Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Could be tricky, but I think I approve of this idea. Sounds like a wise step to take if this plan has any hope of succeeding.

At the very least we'll all get an entertaining read out of it.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby IslaKariese on Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Certainly sounds interesting... Would it be for every troper or just the major players?
The voices in my head tell me that we saved the world. However, they also told me that George Clooney's face is on the dollar bill, so... meh. The voices are more fun, anyway.
IslaKariese

Postby RotavatoR on Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:56 pm

It just occured to you? Impressive :P
Anywho, this is a thread we really needed, and you've brought up a good point. I hadn't even realized that it would help fictionalize the whole ARG until I started this sentence.
(By the way: a lurker brought up a really good point in the "dilemma"-thread. You might wanna read it)
RotavatoR

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:58 pm

IslaKariese wrote:Certainly sounds interesting... Would it be for every troper or just the major players?

I don't know. I think for now we should just begin with those who have participated in significant events. Makes it easy to start off. Those with trope pages of their own make things easier, since we can reuse pieces of those as applicable.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:02 pm

It would be good- go to Adell's gathering more help thread for tropers.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:04 pm

The Wild West Pyro wrote:It would be good- go to Adell's gathering more help thread for tropers.

I created this as a subset of that thread, to be focused on the minutia of the TVTropes page editing while that thread continues to find new ways to recruit people.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby RotavatoR on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:08 pm

Let me see... It still kinda bothers me that the page is called Web Video: The Wall Will Fall. Does anyone know what can be done about that :?
Also the mention of the drinking game on that page feels kind of out of place to me.
EDIT: sorry, too soon.
Last edited by RotavatoR on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RotavatoR

Postby Pixelmage on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:09 pm

Seeing that if we do follow through with the plan we will eventually need to create the pages. I agree. Creating them now should not pose a problem as they alone are only a repository of the information.

Which of us should be added can be decided under a overall agreement. It would be overwhelming to try and add every single player, so we go from the major contributions downwards until we find the amount of players is agreeable.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Sicon112 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:10 pm

Pixelmage wrote:Seeing that if we do follow through with the plan we will eventually need to create the pages. I agree. Creating them now should not pose a problem as they alone are only a repository of the information.

Which of us should be added can be decided under a overall agreement. It would be overwhelming to try and add every single player, so we go from the major contributions downwards until we find the amount of players is agreeable.

My thoughts exactly.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dryunya on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:15 am

RotavatoR wrote:It just occured to you? Impressive :P
Anywho, this is a thread we really needed, and you've brought up a good point. I hadn't even realized that it would help fictionalize the whole ARG until I started this sentence.

Seconded.

I think we can leave deciding who is important and who is not to the Wiki Magic - if we don't exploit self-promotion, the tropes get added by the other players themselves, and if a troper doesn't pass some trope threshold (maybe 5 or so), well... :roll:
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:16 am

Dryunya wrote:
RotavatoR wrote:It just occured to you? Impressive :P

Seconded.

I think we can leave deciding who is important and who is not to the Wiki Magic - if we don't exploit self-promotion, the tropes get added by the other players themselves, and if a troper doesn't pass some trope threshold (maybe 5 or so), well... :roll:

Sounds good to me. I will be heading to bed, so it's up to you guys to get things off the ground, but I'll come in and add what I can think of as it comes to me tomorrow.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby NeverSlender on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:22 am

I don't understand why you're trying to carry out this plan when:

A. We don't know how to do it.

B. We don't know how to check if it's worked.

C. This thing is only just started and we're already trying to force an ending!

Instead of doing it now, this 'fictionalisation' plan should be a last resort, because for all we know, we might like the plot that the GMs have come up with. So far this is all based on speculation when, and I can't stress how important this is, the ARG has only just started.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Dryunya on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:25 am

Chillax, dude. We're just tropifying ourselves. Don't you want to be immortalized as a set of tropes? :D Even if we don't resort to our plan, it would make sense.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby NeverSlender on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:28 am

Dryunya wrote:Chillax, dude. We're just tropifying ourselves. Don't you want to be immortalized as a set of tropes? :D Even if we don't resort to our plan, it would make sense.

*Sigh*

New rule. When getting up at six in the morning do not check on an ARG and start ranting. I stand by what I said but I guess it's not quite at that stage yet. Besides, most of us all have troper pages just some don't have any tropes on.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Adell on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:42 am

Seems like a cool idea to me, go for it!
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby Dryunya on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:03 am

NeverSlender wrote:New rule. When getting up at six in the morning do not check on an ARG and start ranting. I stand by what I said but I guess it's not quite at that stage yet.

Um, I'm not sure who you're referring to. :|
Dryunya

Postby Guyshane on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:49 am

A Tv tropes page about an ARG heavily featuring tv tropers. this may be the most meta thing ever.
I say we nuke it from orbit...its the only way to be sure.
Guyshane

Postby RotavatoR on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:46 am

After a tweet from Mr cAke
https://twitter.com/YouHaveFailedUs/status/256623910349574144
I have split the tropes page between tropes about the ARG and tropes about the forum. This should help in motivating others to add more tropes about the ARG.
RotavatoR

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:56 am

Anyway, I like the idea.

If I'm ever on there(1/One million chance) , add Berserk Button, because I hate Eddie at the moment.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:14 am

NeverSlender wrote:I don't understand why you're trying to carry out this plan when:

A. We don't know how to do it.

B. We don't know how to check if it's worked.

C. This thing is only just started and we're already trying to force an ending!

Instead of doing it now, this 'fictionalisation' plan should be a last resort, because for all we know, we might like the plot that the GMs have come up with. So far this is all based on speculation when, and I can't stress how important this is, the ARG has only just started.

I thought I made it clear that I was suggesting this for dual reasons.

First, it allows us to take a step towards the POSSIBLE fictionalization of the ARG, should we find it necessary. At the same time it is not a final step down the path to that end, and our journey towards it can halt at any time we see fit. Therefore it exists for the purpose of covering our bases. Should a fictionalization be, in the end, deemed appropriate, we will have the measures in place by which we may do so.

Secondly, I think it'd be amusing. Not really a lot to say on that. I figure it's something we, as tropers, can all have fun doing, and to an extent it kinda acts as a team-building exercise, in that we and any newcomers are able to learn about each other and who is best at what.

Yes, I really do always have ulterior motives for everything I do. It's just how I am.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:28 am

Plans for the story commence...NOW
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:33 am

By the way, to whoever is responsible for the Witch's character page quote, you are my new favorite person ever. That made me laugh my ass off.

I also approve of my section quote. It's a pretty amusing statement, if you think about it. I'm claiming to be a Consummate Liar, but for all you guys know, I could be lying, which would make me... A liar! Huzzah paradoxes. And Xanatos Gambits.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:00 am

Sicon112 wrote:By the way, to whoever is responsible for the Witch's character page quote, you are my new favorite person ever. That made me laugh my ass off.

I also approve of my section quote. It's a pretty amusing statement, if you think about it. I'm claiming to be a Consummate Liar, but for all you guys know, I could be lying, which would make me... A liar! Huzzah paradoxes. And Xanatos Gambits.

Just checked the history out of curiosity. Dryu, there are no words for how much win you have. ^_^

Anyhow, seems JR from the TV Tropes megathread has added himself. I know we decided to not enter anything for ourselves, but he didn't see that since he cannot get to this site, ATM, hence his actions. Someone wanna tell him?

Anyhow, looking great guys, and as soon as I come back I'll start sticking more stuff in there as it comes to me. For now though, I need more sleep. Or caffeine. But I have none, so sleep it is.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Dryunya on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:05 am

Sicon112 wrote:Just checked the history out of curiosity. Dryu, there are no words for how much win you have. ^_^

:D
Sicon112 wrote:Anyhow, seems JR from the TV Tropes megathread has added himself. I know we decided to not enter anything for ourselves, but he didn't see that since he cannot get to this site, ATM, hence his actions. Someone wanna tell him?

Well, if he can't get here, I don't see the reason to kick him off. If what he said about himself isn't true, we're going to edit the hell out of him anyway. :gurt:
Dryunya

Next

Return to General Discussion