A theory on the fourth wall

This is for anything related to on-topic WTF discussion.

Re: A theory on the fourth wall

Postby HarDHarKoopa on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:44 am

This is definitely an interesting idea. I've been pondering Mr. A's origin anyway, and he seems to be a being not of Reality or Fiction, so him being the 4th Wall itself makes quite a bit of sense.
"There can't possibly be any meaning in this world. But isn't that wonderful in its own right? Because if there isn't any, we can find our own." -Some anime

And remember: Have fun!
HarDHarKoopa

Postby NeverSlender on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:42 am

I know I only put this as a thought in the OP, but if this was correct, I think A not realising he is the wall would be the most important part.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:29 pm

Interesting theory there......

He could be the fourth wall- he is breaking every minute. And he has numbers on his forehead spelling out the Wall or something like that.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby iconmaster on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Interesting... Perhaps, Mr. A is gathering our help to close the wall... So he can be the remaining nonreal thing on our side. Perhaps he is somehow related, if not distantly, to normal fictives, and he wants to consolidate power on one side of the wall.
iconmaster

Postby Victin on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:53 pm

The Wild West Pyro wrote:Interesting theory there......

He could be the fourth wall- he is breaking every minute. And he has numbers on his forehead spelling out the Wall or something like that.

The more important the instantiation, the less digits it has.
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Dryunya on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:59 pm

The Wild West Pyro wrote:And he has numbers on his forehead spelling out the Wall or something like that.

THE WALL TED FALL :lol:
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:43 am

Dryunya wrote:
The Wild West Pyro wrote:And he has numbers on his forehead spelling out the Wall or something like that.

THE WALL TED FALL :lol:

LOL

( Bursts out laughing)

Mr. A, let's see you take part in a number spelling bee! How do you spell " Administrator" in numbers, sir?

Anyway,back to business. If Mr. A is the wall, then he really needs our help.

Remember him mentioning that his suit IS HIS SKIN?

Well, if it is, I wonder if it is getting more tattered and ripped each day.

As well as that, I was thinking, if we rip open his shirt, we can see the fictional world.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Dryunya on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:52 am

The Wild West Pyro wrote:As well as that, I was thinking, if we rip open his shirt, we can see the fictional world.

Now THAT is a rich inner world. :lol:
I hope you realize that if you rip open his shirt, you'll rip open his skin. :shock:
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:45 am

Dryunya wrote:
The Wild West Pyro wrote:As well as that, I was thinking, if we rip open his shirt, we can see the fictional world.

I hope you realize that if you rip open his shirt, you'll rip open his skin. :shock:

I do realize that, so I think we should leave his skin alone.

Although yeah, I wonder what Mr A looks like when the wall is cracking, with characters escaping every moment....
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:03 am

The Wild West Pyro wrote:
Dryunya wrote:

I do realize that, so I think we should leave his skin alone.

Although yeah, I wonder what Mr A looks like when the wall is cracking, with characters escaping every moment....

I suspect that might be painful. Both the ripping shirt/skin open AND the walls cracking. Assuming he IS connected as we are theorising.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:18 am

Wait. But haven't we seen instantiations adjusting their ties in Echo Chamber? Maybe his skin doesn't work the same way ours does.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:44 am

Mr. A seems to be doing his best to convince us that our theory that he is the wall is off. I don't think it really fits either, personally. He seems to be made to watch over the wall, sure, but I'm really not seeing evidence for this theory.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:46 am

The last theory the GMs tried to convince us was wrong was that Moriarty was here.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:47 am

NeverSlender wrote:The last theory the GMs tried to convince us was wrong was that Moriarty was here.

Slender makes a good point here.

Or perhaps that was just a mislead, that kind of thing happens in fiction all the time too, doesn't it? You're lead to think you were wrong about suspecting somebody, and then turn out to be right.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:49 am

Strange as it may seem, I think there's such a thing as too much paranoia.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby NeverSlender on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:50 am

Your only paranoid until you're proven right.
Marching on together.
NeverSlender

Postby Scarab on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:54 am

NeverSlender wrote:Your only paranoid until you're proven right.

Unless you're that crazy teacher at fictionalthreat, he's paranoid either way. Poor guy's kinda screwed in the head now...
Scarab

Postby Sicon112 on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:54 am

As paranoid as I usually am, I STILL see no evidence for the theory. It's just something the hivemind came up with out of nowhere. To really do anything with it, we would need actual hints that it has any relation o reality, and I'm not seeing them.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby SOHCAHTOA on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:01 pm

The biggest problem I see with this theory (and that I'm surprised no one mentioned yet) is that Prime doesn't disintegrate intantiations, he REINTEGRATES then back onto himself, absorbing all of the reintegrated intantiation knowledge, and who theoretically may still be regenerated, that is, ejected from Prime.

On a side note, what HarDHarKoopa said made me remember two things. First, Kingdom Hearts. In Kingdom Hearts, there are 3 dimensions, called "Realms", that each represent one of the fundamental forces of the universe: There's the Realm of Light, the Realm of Darkness and... the Realm of Nothingness. That is, nothingness itself is something palpable. My theory is that while the Void might be literally nothing, Mr. A and his fridge and dartboard and foosball table are all made of The Nothingness.

The second thing is Tormenta RPG. This however, is irrelevant, so I'll put the interesting part in bold.

Most of you, in fact it's likely all of you, don't know about it. Tormenta RPG is a brazilian Tabletop RPG. In the campaign setting, there are 20 gods. Each god was responsible for something in the "creation": Tenebra is responsible for the night, Azgher for the day, Nimb rules over chaos, Khalmyr over order. However, three gods weren't contented with just what they made, they wanted more. These were the god of power (creator of the dragons), the god of intellect (gnomes), and the goddess of ambition (humans) found an another dimension where they could create as they pleased without interference from the other gods, and together they created the Lefeu. Khalmyr, leader of the Pantheon, after learning of what they had created, ruled that they should be punished. Tillian, god of intellect, was turned mortal. Valkarya, goddess of ambition, was turned into stone and cast upon the mortal world. Kallyadranoch, god of power, was forgotten, with the most anyone could remember of him was the soubriquet "The Third" (this is a universe where the gods gain power from those who believe in them, so being forgotten made him so weak he couldn't even make an Avatar to go visit Tillian, while this one spent the rest of his life in the shadow of the colossal statue of Valkarya). Now, why were they so throughly punished simply for making something without permission from the other gods? That became apparent later. In this other dimension, the Lefeu, creatures of ultimate power, intellect, and ambition, grew more and more, and conquered more and more, until they turned everything into Lefeu. The grass was Lefeu. The stones were Lefeu. The air is Lefeu and so is the void. Even time and space itself were conquered, becoming Lefeu. Everything is Lefeu. This is why the three were punished: they created something with potential to become grater then even the gods thenselves. And now the Lefeu are invading the main dimension, where the initial creation happened.
I'm back, not that anyone cares.
SOHCAHTOA

Postby screenstorming on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:54 pm

SOHCAHTOA wrote:This is why the three were punished: they created something with potential to become grater then even the gods thenselves. And now the Lefeu are invading the main dimension, where the initial creation happened.

Like Mr. A, running around with his Omniscient Morality License: "This trope is subverted (their license revoked) when the heroes rebel against them for playing God."

Scarab wrote:
NeverSlender wrote:The last theory the GMs tried to convince us was wrong was that Moriarty was here.

Slender makes a good point here.

Or perhaps that was just a mislead, that kind of thing happens in fiction all the time too, doesn't it? You're lead to think you were wrong about suspecting somebody, and then turn out to be right.

Exactly... Plot Twists and the like. And I'm sure we're all familiar with this line from TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life:

"Enjoyment comes from a balance of Recognition and Surprise — we enjoy things that we can relate to and have seen before, but we also like to be surprised. Total recognition is cliché; total surprise is alienating. Through comparing different works of fiction, browsing TV Tropes will merge surprise almost entirely with recognition and you will begin analyzing everything and taking a totally new (and possibly better) enjoyment from media - or reality."

Already being into tropes, and certainly learning more tropes through the progression of the past months, wouldn't the GMs be anticipating the need for a complex turning point or two as the end approaches?
screenstorming

Previous

Return to General Discussion