Children of the fictionals

This is for anything related to on-topic WTF discussion.

Children of the fictionals

Postby Victin on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:19 am

This has the potential to be a huge discussion, so split from the 4th wall discussion.
~D

I don't know where else I could put this, so I'll write it here.
What would happen if a fictional had a son or daughter with a real person? (My interest is scientifical, not anything else you might think)
And no, I won't use MST3K Mantra
Last edited by Victin on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Re: A theory on the fourth wall

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:20 am

Victin wrote:I don't know where else I could put this, so I'll write it here.
What would happen if a fictional had a son or daughter with a real person? (My interest is scientifical, not anything else you might think)
And no, I won't use MSK3 Mantra

Very well then, why don't you use the MST3K Mantra instead?
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Victin on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:26 am

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:
Victin wrote:I don't know where else I could put this, so I'll write it here.
And no, I won't use MSK3 Mantra

Very well then, why don't you use the MST3K Mantra instead?

Fix'd my post. I was too lazy to look for the right name.
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:27 am

He's got electricity crackling on his neck when he gets mad- hmmm....
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:01 pm

Such Hybrids are usually quite the Checkov's in most settings.

In World of Darkness, a Vampire/Werewolf is an Abomination that's pretty much the worse news you ever hear, there are worse things in the world, true, but you're usually truly dead before you get the chance to meet them.

In Valkyrie Profile (runs on Norse myth), half-humans half-gods are the utterly unstoppable force of the world. They have the power of the gods to to whatever the hell they please, but can grow and learn and be creative like the humans do.

I'll avoid using other examples so that I can avoid spoilers... But all in all, Hybrids seem to do what the author needs them to do within the setting and of course, are given substantial characteristics from both sides. Since our ARG is real/fictional, I'd imagine that the hybrid in question would be a fully functional human being, if offspring of a human fictional, only one surrounded by tropes. So that might influence their life to flow more narrative-like than real-like.

We don't know even whether the characters are damaging to reality or not, whether such hypothetical Hybrids would be compatible or not is beyond what I'm willing to think right now. xD
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Scarab on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:11 pm

Pixelmage wrote:Such Hybrids are usually quite the Checkov's in most settings.

In World of Darkness, a Vampire/Werewolf is an Abomination that's pretty much the worse news you ever hear, there are worse things in the world, true, but you're usually truly dead before you get the chance to meet them.
In Valkyrie Profile (runs on Norse myth), half-humans half-gods are the utterly unstoppable force of the world. They have the power of the gods to to whatever the hell they please, but can grow and learn and be creative like the humans do.
I'll avoid using other examples so that I can avoid spoilers... But all in all, Hybrids seem to do what the author needs them to do within the setting and of course, are given substantial characteristics from both sides. Since our ARG is real/fictional, I'd imagine that the hybrid in question would be a fully functional human being, if offspring of a human fictional, only one surrounded by tropes. So that might influence their life to flow more narrative-like than real-like.
We don't know even whether the characters are damaging to reality or not, whether such hypothetical Hybrids would be compatible or not is beyond what I'm willing to think right now. xD

A human being who's life actually DID run according to tropes and narratives? I'll say that'd be powerful! Somebody for whom things like, say Empathic Weapon actually WORKED?

Of course, keeping that in mind, a fictional character, even one in the real world, is still technically what their author wrote them to be - ergo, Moriarty and Holmes are human, the Cheshire Cat is still a cat, etc. So maybe it wouldn't be QUITE the same as what happens when you mix omnipotence with good old fashioned human DNA. I mean, realistically they're still human, spawned from humans, made to act like humans, etc...

Also in the interests of scientific plausiblity, you'd need to be close enough on a genetic level to reproduce, at least in the same genus (so tigers + lions = Ligers/Possible whereas Tigers + Labradors = Different species and classification/Impossible). Instantations for example ?Pretty sure that no matter how they appear, they aren't anything even CLOSE to human, so reproduction would probably be even less possible than it would be between reals and fictionals...

I can't believe I just wrote that. :shock:
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:29 pm

My idea about the hybrids is boringly ordinary, like this lunch of mine. Considering that, from a physical standpoint, the fictionals are just as human as we are (ok, I'm not sure about the Witch), so I think it's more likely that the children would be regular humans.
But who am I to apply physics to laws of fiction. :| Any further speculation is meaningless. Perhaps an experiment may be in order, if you know what I mean. ;)

...What's more interesting is the child of 2 fictionals. :o He wouldn't belong to a story of either one of his parents, so... would he be real? If not, could he be refictionalized, considering that he wouldn't have a story to return to? :shock:

I think we have created a Pregnant Ranma Problem. <_<
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Re: Children of the fictionals

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:05 pm

So you're saying, any Cabal fans should tell Morgana that her best chances of staying here would be to get pregnant fast.

<_<

>_>

Not it.
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:10 pm

<sigh> Done.
Last edited by Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby WackyMeetsPractical on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:12 pm

Is this really a topic that belongs in general discussion? I mean, it's interesting, but since it doesn't look like any of these fitionals are going to be having kids here before the world ends, it's really not relavant towards the ARG.
If everyone would just agree with me, there would never be any problems.
WackyMeetsPractical

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:19 pm

Well, we have both types of couples... So we may see a half-fictional baby after the ARG. Why not? :D
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby H22 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:21 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:So you're saying, any Cabal fans should tell Morgana that her best chances of staying here would be to get pregnant fast.

<_<

>_>

Not it.

That physically hurts. The annoying thing is now I have to do it.
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Read further. I did it ten minutes ago.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:39 pm

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:This... awkward conversation ensued:
Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:My compatriots have concocted a theory that may prove interesting to you. View it here: http://forum.watchthefootage.twwf.info/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=809
My apologies,
[REDACTED]

Morgan le Fey wrote:Dearest [REDACTED],
I’d rather not… comment on that. Not at this point. There are things I’d rather not drag into this conflict, not unless I have no choice.
Sincerely,
Morgan

I feel awful.

Can't believe you actually did that. :shock:
You have a lime for science, but I sooo want to smack you. :D
Dryunya

Postby H22 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Dryunya wrote:
Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:This... awkward conversation ensued:
Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:My compatriots have concocted a theory that may prove interesting to you. View it here: http://forum.watchthefootage.twwf.info/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=809
My apologies,
[REDACTED]

Morgan le Fey wrote:Dearest [REDACTED],
I’d rather not… comment on that. Not at this point. There are things I’d rather not drag into this conflict, not unless I have no choice.
Sincerely,
Morgan

I feel awful.

Can't believe you actually did that. :shock:
You have a lime for science, but I sooo want to smack you. :D

SMACK you? The chatroom's sentence is hanging, drawing and quartering. But still :gurt: .
In life, he suffered from a sense of unreality, as do many Englishmen.
H22

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:45 pm

Aaand I asked Mr. A if a half-fictite is going to be a problem for us.
We're probably giving the GMs soo much headache. :D
Dryunya

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:50 pm

Indeed. I feel like laughing maniacally. Perhaps another time.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Qara-Xuan Zenith on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:11 pm

ka;jgi;ajrio;jairfojadigf;jo

I DID NOT EXPECT ANYONE TO TAKE MY LINE ABOUT MENTIONING THIS TO MORGAN *SERIOUSLY*

kadfjkjska;jfa;j

And if no one had done so, I wouldn't have had to bleach THIS out of my brain:

You Have Failed Us wrote:"USE PROTECTION"

afkjijfioajfiohjguioajfiosjio;gajiojfdaio
Why are we even arguing about a dead fictional dude and hypothetical ninjas?

AS DICTATED TO INSTANTIATION 17-01-18-01.
Qara-Xuan Zenith

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:13 pm

Qara-Xuan Zenith wrote:ka;jgi;ajrio;jairfojadigf;jo

I DID NOT EXPECT ANYONE TO TAKE MY LINE ABOUT MENTIONING THIS TO MORGAN *SERIOUSLY*

kadfjkjska;jfa;j

And if no one had done so, I wouldn't have had to bleach THIS out of my brain:

You Have Failed Us wrote:"USE PROTECTION"

afkjijfioajfiohjguioajfiosjio;gajiojfdaio

I am so sorry. I tend to take things seriously. My sincere apologies.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:29 pm

Too late. The fictional children are Serious Business.
I have received instructions from Mr. A to prevent such an abomination from appearing. So, I've sent an email to everyone in the Cabal, except for Moriarty (because we don't know his email). I'll post it in the email thread when I get a reply.

You brought this on yourself. :gurt:
Dryunya

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:33 pm

By the cheeses, what horrors hath this folly wrought‽
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Victin on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Victin

Postby Dryunya on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:00 pm

Called it!
And here's the email exchange... :roll:
Dryunya

Postby S_o_S on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:33 pm

Guys, for fuck's sake. Just... What.
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby Endless Sea on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:48 pm

S_o_S wrote:Guys, for fuck's sake. Just... What.

Seconded.
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.

RP news: Power Play and Sunset Drift are open for business! Bound by Faith may need a while to finish, though.
Endless Sea

Next

Return to General Discussion