WALL EMERGENCY

This is for anything related to on-topic WTF discussion.

Re: WALL EMERGENCY

Postby Flitterbie on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:59 am

Dryunya wrote:Ok, now about the fic.
Of course, it was Bonsus. I wouldn't expect any less from a winning fic.

BUT!
Guys seriously it was set in the real world and that can be proven false seriously what were you thinking and also the Regulator's psychic powers where are they why didn't Cthulhu mind-rape Psi and seriously Mr. A in reality what sense does that even make unless it was somehow framed in a sub-universe umm I don't understand anything anymore my poor metaverse model aaaargh

(Also, I can accept whan Angel did... But, poor Medusa. :cry: )

I'd assume it's something like Moriarty's refic in that it's kinda-but-not-quite canon.
Flitterbie

Postby narrativedilettante on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:59 am

Scarab wrote:Well, I submitted mine last night... have little hope in it's success, but right now I'm willing to send in ANYTHING :?

It was BRILLIANT, Scarab.

Dryunya wrote:(Also, I can accept whan Angel did... But, poor Medusa. :cry: )

Yeah, that's my reaction too.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby JRPictures on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:35 am

Congrats for everyone including Scarab and Adell.

Together we kept the wall up and made sure it did not fall and for that I'm proud.
:gurt: so large have some limes :gurt: :gurt: :gurt:
JRPictures.
Going Meta since 2010.

INSTANTIATION NUMBER: 10-15-14-15

The Forum Killer (Sign Up/Discussion): http://forum.watchthefootage.twwf.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=410 (You better sign up OR ELSE)

:gurt: :geek: :ugeek:
JRPictures
Meta-Knight

Postby JackAlsworth on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:55 am

Showed this to the guy who wrote Angel's story. Here's what he had to say:

Wow, uh... that was great. I'm not really surprised Angel was the one who had to die. (Part of me was always wondering if that was how her story had to end.) I really liked the interplay between the Metaguard characters, and I wish you had written a little more of that. And I also liked the duality of the story, how it took place in both the real and fictional worlds. Overall, a fun read. Thanks for saving reality, I really appreciate it. ;)
JackAlsworth

Postby S_o_S on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:46 am

Well done Scarab. The wall thanks you. I don't have anything more to say.
Not a distress call. Honest.
S_o_S

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:55 am

Well done Scarab, WELL DONE! YOU HAVE SAVED US ALL! HOORAY!

PARTY IN THE COFFEE ROOM, FUCK YEAH!!!

CTHULHU, YOU THINK YOU COULD SCARE US, YOU DIPSHIT MOTHERFUCKING ELDTRICH ABOMINATION? WE'RE NOT AFRAID OF YOU, BITCH! GO FUCK YOURSELF, YOU UGLY CUNT!

Sorry about the swearing, I couldn't help myself.

Anyway, LIMES GALORE!
:gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt:
:gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt:
:gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt: :gurt:
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby eli_gone_crazy on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:45 am

EdwardTheAwesome wrote:Actually, I might have an idea. It'll probably take a couple days to figure out, though.

Need any help?
eli_gone_crazy

Postby Scarab on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:04 pm

Thank you everyone.

And whoever David is? I am reallly sorry I killed your characters to do it.
Last edited by Scarab on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Victin on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:05 pm

I don't think I've said what I think. Awesome work Scarab. :gurt:
"Well an idiot pokes the thing with his fingers. A scientist gets someone else's fingers."
Victin

Postby Scarab on Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:57 pm

Dryunya wrote:BUT!
Guys seriously it was set in the real world and that can be proven false seriously what were you thinking and also the Regulator's psychic powers where are they why didn't Cthulhu mind-rape Psi and seriously Mr. A in reality what sense does that even make unless it was somehow framed in a sub-universe umm I don't understand anything anymore my poor metaverse model aaaargh

(Also, I can accept whan Angel did... But, poor Medusa. )

Indeed, poor Medusa :(

In answer to these questions:

It wasn't IN the real world. It was CLOSE to the real world. The Fourth Wall in my head, as explained at the start of the fic, isn't strictly a solid wall but a concept given form. It's not a strict line, where if you take one step, you're in fiction, take another you're in the void, and another you're in reality. It's... malleable. Cthulhu was very very close to entering (or rather reentering - Adell hadn't faced him when I wrote this so I had no idea what cthulhu would actually do when he got here) our world, hence why he appeared more visible to humans but not entirely clear as he was when facing Adell (he was pretty much broken through then).

In my head the Metaguards actual abilities were stunted by being so close to the real world, and Cthulhu being much, much older than the metaguards, had a lot more narrative weight and so his abilities were weakened but not to the extent theirs were, (the metaguards may have been designed for this job, but they are NEW creations, and recall what Mister A said early on about older characters having more narrative strength, hence their breaking through the wall first), and if the wall had fallen completely he would've had no limits.

They also couldn't be 'mind raped' as the humans on the ground pretty much almost were (almost, not quite, cthulhu wasn't quite close enough to do it properly, when Adell faced him he was at much greater risk), because they are metaguards - a unique kind of fictional character designed to exist in the void BETWEEN fiction and reality. They're like... walking anomalies. The normal narratives don't apply to them (this is, by the way my logic behind why Medusa couldn't turn Angel into stoner in my unchosen Medusa fic - it just makes sense to me that metaguards are just designed to withstand the kind of threats the fictionasls present.)

Buuuuut I don't think I put ANY OF THAT STUFF that was in my head across well enough (as is obvious by how much I just had to explain there to make it make sense) :x : Gurt saying 'we had plans but this wasn't MEANT to happen here' or something along those lines should have implied as much, buut I didn't write that sentence very clearly, so bad move on my part. There were a number of flaws and I'm really hoping for some concrit at the end of all this if possible :)

For now, I'm just glad it seems to have worked anyway, which it must have done. Thanks, guys :)
They sometimes say, "the place where I am right now was circled on a map for me"... Unfortunately, I kind of suck at orienteering.
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:51 pm

What I meant is that this fic describes some real-world events. So, it is now canon that someone was trying to shoot an Eldritch Abomination IRL. Those things tend to make the headlines, which is why it's easy to prove that this one didn't actually happen. That's what's bugging me.
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby Adell on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:53 pm

Dryunya wrote:What I meant is that this fic describes some real-world events. So, it is now canon that someone was trying to shoot an Eldritch Abomination. Those things tend to make the headlines, which is why it's easy to prove that this one didn't actually happen. That's what's bugging me.

...it's a story though. It's canon 'in the story' that these things happened. Ya get what I'm saying? The way I see it, it is fine the way it was written, but I imagine if I tried to explain why It doesn't bother me I'd probably just confuse myself with meta physics or something.

Also someone did shoot something at an eldtrich abomination.
If you ever need to ask the questions "Am I needed? Should I help them?" The answer is always yes. Always.
Adell
Meta-Lovecrafter

Postby BlackWolfe on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:19 pm

Solution: Being Metaguards, we have Ripple-Effect-Proof Memories. The rest of the world does not. Thus no evidence.

(I intend to make this part of my follow-up fic to try to kick off the Shared Universe idea we've been banging around.)
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
BlackWolfe

Postby Sicon112 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:25 pm

BlackWolfe wrote:Solution: Being Metaguards, we have Ripple-Effect-Proof Memories. The rest of the world does not. Thus no evidence.

(I intend to make this part of my follow-up fic to try to kick off the Shared Universe idea we've been banging around.)

But we have forgotten the fictionals Cthulhu ate....
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Greyscale on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:42 pm

I'm pretty sure the story contained a line about how humans' broken minds would rationalize what they had seen. And there is a pretty bad storm around the East Coast, where Cthulhu made landfall... :gurt:
Greyscale

Postby Scarab on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:52 am

Dryunya wrote:What I meant is that this fic describes some real-world events. So, it is now canon that someone was trying to shoot an Eldritch Abomination IRL. Those things tend to make the headlines, which is why it's easy to prove that this one didn't actually happen. That's what's bugging me.

Ohh yeah good point. In fairness I really didn't think of this at the time, but I would presume BlackWolfe's ripple effect proof memory theory makes sense. I can see everyone except those who were directly invovled with the metaguards (namely us) being the only ones who remember exactly what happened. Somewhere out there there are a bunch of tanks and soldiers wondering what the heck they're doing there :lol: I DID mention that the self defence mechanicsm if 'convincing themselves it never happened' would kick in. Cthulhu is just too big and disturbing for the human brain to entiely process.

Memory wipes, ladies and gentlemen: what would we do without ;em.

Sicon112 wrote:
BlackWolfe wrote:Solution: Being Metaguards, we have Ripple-Effect-Proof Memories. The rest of the world does not. Thus no evidence.

Yeah about that... maybe the Metaguards aren't strictly fictionals designed to exist within fiction, they were designed to exist outside of it, so I guess it's logical that they don't abide by normal rules.

It's creepy to think about what we might have forgotten...
Scarab

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:57 am

Scarab wrote:
Dryunya wrote:What I meant is that this fic describes some real-world events. So, it is now canon that someone was trying to shoot an Eldritch Abomination IRL. Those things tend to make the headlines, which is why it's easy to prove that this one didn't actually happen. That's what's bugging me.

Ohh yeah good point. In fairness I really didn't think of this at the time, but I would presume BlackWolfe's ripple effect proof memory theory makes sense. I can see everyone except those who were directly invovled with the metaguards (namely us) being the only ones who remember exactly what happened. Somewhere out there there are a bunch of tanks and soldiers wondering what the heck they're doing there :lol: I DID mention that the self defence mechanicsm if 'convincing themselves it never happened' would kick in. Cthulhu is just too big and disturbing for the human brain to entiely process.

Memory wipes, ladies and gentlemen: what would we do without ;em.

Sicon112 wrote:

Yeah about that... maybe the Metaguards aren't strictly fictionals designed to exist within fiction, they were designed to exist outside of it, so I guess it's logical that they don't abide by normal rules.

It's creepy to think about what we might have forgotten...

It's like the Mist in Percy Jackson. We see what others cannot. So on that they, when Adell and the Cabal were fighting Cthulhu, a non Metaguard would have seen the four of them jogging or something like that. If you were a Metaguard though, you would have seen a hideous green thing coming down from the sky and four people attacking it.
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Location: Hong Kong, China, Asia, Earth, The Solar System, the Milky Way, Outer Space, The Universe

Postby Dryunya on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:13 am

Also, being a Metaguard, I can breathe in space, shrug off lightning, control bees, and is very handsome. :lol: :lol:
I have attempted to suppress my inner hyperspace future gardener crying out against all the injustice I am committing.
Dryunya

Postby The Wild West Pyro on Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:17 am

Dryunya wrote:Also, being a Metaguard, I can breathe in space, shrug off lightning, control bees, and is very handsome. :lol: :lol:

OK then....you are handsome by pony standards...
FIRE!
The Wild West Pyro

Postby Scarab on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Dryunya wrote:Also, being a Metaguard, I can breathe in space, shrug off lightning, control bees, and is very handsome. :lol: :lol:

I'm sure you're very handsome IRL, ya dork, but I doubt rthe breathing in space thing is true :P (what's with that anyway? it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to breathe in space, there's nothing TO breathe except... well atoms, I guess).
Scarab

Postby JackAlsworth on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:41 pm

It's a joke from a webcomic that eventually got turned into a trope.

I'm Batman... and I can breathe in space!
JackAlsworth

Postby Flitterbie on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:42 pm

So, you're Batman?
Flitterbie

Postby Scarab on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:42 pm

JackAlsworth wrote:It's a joke from a webcomic that eventually got turned into a trope.

I'm Batman... and I can breathe in space!

Totally knew that.... I think I remember seeing it in an actual comic soemwhere. I... had no idea what the hell was going on the entire time.
Scarab

Postby Dryunya on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:48 pm

Not sure if you're trolling me now or just don't get what I was hinting at. :evil:
I think you're trying to give us more credit than we deserve. I believe we're still the same puny humans (who saved the world, but still). There should be some other way to shoehorn that fic into canon. :?
Dryunya

Postby Scarab on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:03 pm

Dryunya wrote:Not sure if you're trolling me now or just don't get what I was hinting at. :evil:
I think you're trying to give us more credit than we deserve. I believe we're still the same puny humans (who saved the world, but still). There should be some other way to shoehorn that fic into canon. :?

Maybe so, but I had to write the darn thing the first time around and I'm just relieved it worked right now, Dryu. I'm happy to wait a while, let it settle, and go over it in my head before I start shoe-horning anything into anything... except for my feet into shoes, obviously. (And I wan't trolling, dude ;) you're genuinely awesome.)
Scarab

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion