TWWF - TvTropes Pages Revision

This is for anything related to on-topic WTF discussion.

Re: TWWF - TvTropes Pages Revision

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:34 pm

I know, I explained that I linked to Beyond the Impossible into the Wall-of-Text explanation. xD

Though I did remove that later because it was already in the description. But like you said, it works better as a trope, in which case a description rework will be necessary.

On a revision note:
I must lead by example, so I'll start on my own section.
Alice Allusion: I kept it strictly off-topic. Though pretty much everyone recognizes it, it's not really something that affected anything in the ARG save for some fun times. I'd say it's maybe food for an eventual Trivia page choughLotadNamedAlicechough but not worthy of a trope entry. (Yay/Nay)?

Nickname: Everyone has nicknames. I don't remember being called as Pixie by any fictional which means it's just an arbitrary listing of name variations, which should include Pix, Pixel, WitchPixie, etc. - Nope. Does not work. For an arbitrary listing like that it would require pretty much everyone to have it (Qara-Xuan Zenith is Qara or Q, Adell is Mod, you get the idea... xD) So that entry should leave as well. (Yay/Nay)?

The other three are actually ARG relevant. :P

Sicon's entry itself should remove Red Baron Title and link it from the "Witch Hunter" under the Ascended Fanon entry. They are duplicate as it is now, and the Ascended Fanon entry is more accurate. (Yay/Nay)?

Dryu's "I Call It Vera" is already noted under the YMMV which handles the Cargo Ship aspect of the associated quote. One of those should be removed, but to keep consistency on the Shipping List I'd say Dryu's character entry should go. (Yay/Nay)?

Adell's and Kariese's Team Dad and Team Mom. These are part of the Cast Calculus, which we agreed to keep as the megapost here instead of there, so they should also leave the page. (Yay/Nay)?
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:47 pm

I think the team dad stuff had a large effect on the game, actually. It was especially involved in the debate about who should go for Cthulhu.

As for the rest, I think we've done a good job for today. Keep this note here and we will go over it later, but for now, what this character page really needs is MORE TROPES FOR THE CHARACTERS. Really, guys, that's our biggest problem.

Let's start brainstorming. Characters Need Tropes Badly. :P
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:51 pm

I notice that Masquerade Ball isn't listed. It was one of the Echo tropes. It should probably go on the main page, because even though it was part of Holmes' Echo, it didn't really have much to do with Holmes as a character.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:01 pm

@Sicon, yeah, but while someone is working on the fictionals, there's no reason not to polish the player layer. You'll all want to murder me for cutting tropes. I am aware of that. But still there's a lot of stuff there that needs work, regardless of Todd having tropes or not.

So, yes people, get cracking on adding tropes for the ficties! They need them badly. But I'll still keep scanning the player folder.
Pixelmage

Postby narrativedilettante on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Some suggestions for character tropes.

Long John Silver: Jerk with a Heart of Gold (it's his Echo trope, should be on there)

Gulliver: Schoolgirl Rival (again, it's his Echo trope) and Morality Pet (I think that's a fair interpretation of what he was to LJS)

Erik: Lightning Reveal and Girlfriend in Canada (his Echo tropes), Batman Cold Open (Mr. Administrator said this was a fair assessment of one of the Echoes)

Moriarty: Flipping the Table (he did this in an Echo), Manipulative Bastard (the way he got LJS to go to the Holmes refic is just one example). Side note: Ancient Artifact was one of his Echo tropes, and should probably be listed, but like Masquerade Ball I think it would make more sense on the main page than the character page.

Morgan: Tsundere (we've been told that was the Echo trope for the one that we haven't found), and I'm trying to come up with a more specific one than Revenge for how she reficced Moriarty but my trope knowledge is failing me.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after.
narrativedilettante
Meta-Robin

Postby Blurred_9L on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:46 pm

narrativedilettante wrote:Morgan: Tsundere (we've been told that was the Echo trope for the one that we haven't found), and I'm trying to come up with a more specific one than Revenge for how she reficced Moriarty but my trope knowledge is failing me.

I thought Pay Evil Unto Evil, but the description seems to extreme for the situation.

Also, I suggested Gentle Giant for Adam a while ago.
Why should we do the right thing?
-Well... because it's the right thing to do, there's no other good reason.

Am I a bad guy trying to be good, or a good guy trying to convince himself that he's not the bad guy?
Blurred_9L

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:47 pm

Yet another iteration.
Code: Select all
Adell:
* TeamDad: Was elected this by Metaguard consensus, making him, to his bafflement, married to @/{{IslaKariese}}.

Dryu:
* [[ICallItVera I Call her Susie]]: The [[Recap/TheWallWillFall Timeline]].
--> ''"I'm dead serious. And after all we've been through, [[CargoShip I should marry her]]. [[ItMakesSenseInContext She rejected me]], but I won't give up."''

Pixel:
* AliceAllusion: It's everywhere.
--> '''Qara-Xuan Zenith:''' "Human wizard named Alice? You've gotta be named Alice. You're ALWAYS named Alice... right?"
* [[InSeriesNickname Nickname]]: Most Metaguards call him Pixie. He's learned to accept it.

Sicon:
* [[RedBaron Red Baron Title]]: The Witch Hunter. Awarded for his response to the Witch revealing that she knew about the forums.
 --> ''"P.S. You made a typo."''
** Later became AscendedFanon after he was rewarded with the title "Meta Witch Hunter" due to his confrontation with the Witch.

My two entries mentioned were cut. As I explained above. Same for Dryu's as it's exactly the same entry that's in the YMMV page and it's more consistent to keep the shipping aspect there.

Sicon's was removed, but the link to Red Baron was moved into the description of Ascended Fanon to the exact same message, only without duplicity.

Adell's original is there, I merely added to the description to justify the fact that it was kept there. Since the note to Kariese being Team Mom is still in there, I kept that trope in her section.

I added tropes to the fictionals according to Dilly's Suggestions, except for the Ancient Artifact and Masquerade Ball. And Morgan's Tsundere, though we know it's the second Echo's trope, it's not found yet, so I'd wait to add it until we get the evidence.
Pixelmage

Postby RotavatoR on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:12 am

Should I remove the forum tropes from the Main Page? And where should they be moved?
RotavatoR

Previous

Return to General Discussion