TWWF - TvTropes Pages Revision

This is for anything related to on-topic WTF discussion.

TWWF - TvTropes Pages Revision

Postby Pixelmage on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:56 pm

Now that the ARG is over, it's clear that it's time to revise the pages and polish them to be the best portrait of the ARG we can make. All the other shiny stuff has nice pages, a game from tropers has no right to be sloppy. So, it's time to stop adding content mindlessly and actually start editing and fine-tuning our pages to be awesome as they deserve.

Rick has given us a very good starting point about the character page. Quoted here for easy reference:
Rick Healey wrote:Well, one obvious concern is the number of YMMV tropes on the Character page. I have a dream of seeing absolutely no orange dots on any of the The Wall Will Fall pages.

I do think it'd be best to stop requesting others add tropes, and also cut tropes that have nothing to do with the game (I know for a fact that none of you are actually packing weapons that matter in this ARG; I didn't launch Weapon Of Choice all those years ago so that folks could just cite it for their favorite weapon). Folks have troper pages (or can make ones) if they want to add what they feel represents themselves; the page for the game should describe what's in the game.

Also, Adell's rule isn't necessarily the best one. If a character demonstrates the same trope in their original universe and in our game, it makes sense to cite them for that in both. For example, Cheshire Cat gets cited as Perpetual Smiler in both (well, up until OOC Is Serious Business got invoked in the ARG). However, Poirot was not the Big Eater in our game that he was in the original canon, so he wouldn't get cited for that.

In short, add the tropes that actually happened in the ARG, be it for the characters or the players.

So, we have our starting point: clean up on any and all YMMV entries and a complete revision of the character page.
"Atashi no tameni, shinde kureru?"
Pixelmage

Re: TWWF - TvTropes Pages Revision

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:05 am

In light of the imminent loss of many a Coffee Room trope, I'd like to throw an idea to make a megapost of sorts (like the Cast Calculus) where we can keep track of them without loss, while still keeping the actual trope page clean. If someone is willing to keep it, that's a way to preserve these tropes. ;)
Pixelmage

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:00 am

YMMV tropes that still apply to the game should just be moved to the YMMV page, correct?
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:39 am

Yup.
If many players have the same YMMV it should be either condensed into 1 entry in the YMMV page, or made into a case list if applicable.

For instance, we have a Drinking Game in the tropes from the Forum, and Gender Confusion is one of the rules there, because it happened a lot.

So, bot me an Kariese (that I remember without looking) have that trope, it disappears and under the YMMV page we make it a single condensed note for it, because it's not really related to any ARG events, only evident as a community aspect.

Say for instance: "Gender Confusion: Happened often and with many of the players, both veterans and newcomers. It got added as one of the rules of the Forum's Drinking Game."

Listing names for the cases of this would be overkill, really.

But... That one might be content to be cut out altogether, I'm not really sure myself.
Pixelmage

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:49 pm

Starting off the Cleanup, all player Weapon of Choice entries are removed. As a standard protocol, every entry I delete I'll post as the exact Wiki Markup here for ease of re-posting (if necessary) or so that the user can move them to their troper page.

Code: Select all
Eli:
* ILikeSwords: Her primary weapon choice in the Coffee Room.

Genndy:
* WeaponOfChoice: A large wooden mallet known as the Ω-Mallet, which is very powerful and has offensive and defensive functions. It can even fire cannonballs.

JR:
* WeaponOfChoice: A Lawgiver and a Pixel Katana.

Pixel:
* WeaponOfChoice: The Vorpal Sword and Magical Knives.

Qara:
* WeaponOfChoice: She often uses Lasers in The Coffee Room to kill anyone she doesn't really like.

Scarab:
* WeaponOfChoice: An Ice Wand, and other ice based weapons. She used her Ice Wand the most in a hand to hand combat duel with Eli.

Pyro:
* WeaponOfChoice: A silenced 1911 A1. He also uses a Sawn Off VideoGame/TeamFortress2 Stock Shotgun and a Half Life Crowbar.
Pixelmage

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:37 pm

GuestUser17 "revision".

Memetic Badass is YMMV and is already mentioned on that page. I simply cut it off.

GU17
* MemeticBadass: The current theory is that he's Batman, due to the number of echoes he's found. [[labelnote:*]]He is now canonically the [[Film/TheDarkKnightRises The Meta-Dark Knight]].[[/labelnote]]
** And he has ''Peter Parker's cellphone''.

Added a description and 2 tropes that I feel fit him best. Still more love to be had there though, as I'm unsure if Shout Out covers completely the Batman aspect, or if Ascended Fanon should be linked from "this was acknowledged".
Pixelmage

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:42 pm

YMMV Sweep 1

Joe:
* HoYay: With Edward, especially after their video together.

Ed:
* HoYay: Lots in the video with Joe and Him.

Added a single Ho Yay entry to the YMMV page to cover that. Removed from both character entries.

Brad:
* EnsembleDarkhorse: Has proven to be more popular than expected.

Gurt:
* MemeticBadass

Adell:
* MemeticBadass: [[ItMakesSenseInContext He defeated a hurricane once]].

Zup:
* GrowingTheBeard - Claims to have done this literally. Facebook page confirms that it is true.

Brad's and Gurt's were already on the YMMV page, simply removed them from the page. Memetic Badass is still on Gurt's description though, I'm not sure if that should be reworked or kept.

Adell's added as a bullet point in the YMMV page under the already existing entry.

Zup's... Straight up cut. It's a funny Literal Mindset joke, but I'm not sure it's really relevant. For the moment it's not anywhere. As the trope actually refers to the quality level of a work instead of actual beards.

I realize I'm doing relatively small edits and streaks of posts here, but I feel way safer working like this, so I ask you guys to understand that.
Pixelmage

Postby Sicon112 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:42 pm

I think we should leave something about Memetic Badass with Gurt. I mean, that is the core CONCEPT of his existence. I don't know how we would do that. If we have to, we can just blueshift part of his description.
Normal people are the easiest to manipulate. Too smart and they have an annoying tendency to catch wind of your plans, too dumb and, in the words of a certain pirate, "You can never tell when they are about to do something incredibly...stupid."
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:05 pm

YMMV Sweep 2

Metaneko:
* CrackPairing: Tried to troll Mr. A by pretending to ship the two of them with each other.
* CrowningMomentOfFunny: [[http://t.co/TMmo31ZY trolling the Cabal]].

DQ:
* CrazyAwesome

Dryu:
* CrazyAwesome: He photoshopped DonQuixote's avatar to include [[TriangleShades Kamina's shades]] and tweeted it to him.
 --> '''DonQuixote:''' ...I can't quite explain why, but that new picture makes me feel like I could do the impossible.
* CrowningMomentOfAwesome: Quixote's parting blow to Deanna in their confrontation was a quote from Dryu:
--> '''DonQuixote:''' By the way, Jennifer. In the words of one of my wise and helpful friend, Dryunya… go fuck yourself…

Eli:
* ChaoticGood: Her plans usally involve trying to do good in her own way. She's also one of the players who doesn't try to call Mr. A out on his actions as much as the others.

Genndy:
* TrueNeutral
-->You know what? I'm just going to decide not to irritate any potentially deadly fictionals (which is to say, all of them.) I am now the Switzerland of this debate.

Jeoric:
* NeutralGood

Scarab:
* FountainOfMemes: Due to strategically placed typos.

Sicon:
* CrazyAwesome: His [[http://forum.watchthefootage.twwf.info/viewtopic.php?f=15&p=35517#p35460 showdown with the Witch]].
* MagnificentBastard: Some of his diabolical, foolproof plans have shown him to be this.

Vic:
* ChaoticNeutral

Ok, expaining.
Metaneko: Crack pairing moved, CMoF was already on that page so straight up deleted.

DQ's Crazy Awesome was already on the YMMV page, so deleted.

Dryu's, Sicon's and Scarab's tropes from that list were moved to the YMMV page. Under the appropriate bullet lists, and in the case of Fountain of Memes a new entry.

Dryu's CMoA was already mentioned under the CMoA page, so that one was simply cut.

The other entries are alignment tropes, since we're not playing D&D so even if they arguably fit, the alignments are not really set for us... For the moment they're off, but as I noted above, the mark up is kept so just copy-paste if it proves necessary to do so.
A note for Genndy's True Neutral is that it was actually associated with a memorable quote, so I made that into a quote for his section.
Pixelmage

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:08 pm

Sicon112 wrote:I think we should leave something about Memetic Badass with Gurt.

Combo breaker! :evil:
:lol:
Anyway, I just checked. The description's Memetic Badass does not flag the YMMV on page. I think his description is good to keep as is. Or at least, it does not need to be edited just because of that trope.
Pixelmage

Postby Rick Healey on Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:18 pm

Pixelmage wrote:
Sicon112 wrote:I think we should leave something about Memetic Badass with Gurt.

Combo breaker! :evil:
:lol:
Anyway, I just checked. The description's Memetic Badass does not flag the YMMV on page. I think his description is good to keep as is. Or at least, it does not need to be edited just because of that trope.

Actually, I can give you a one sentence reason why Memetic Badass should be cut.

There's nothing memetic about Gurt's badassery.

Canon, FUCK YEAH.
I smiled when the wall was built, for I knew we were creating something incredible. And I smiled when it cracked, for the world would soon see what we had wrought.
Rick Healey
Puppetmaster

Postby JackAlsworth on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Americanon, FUCK YEAH
Comin' to end the motherfuckin' deBATE YEAH
Americanon, FUCK YEAH
Word of God's the only WAY

Okay, but seriously, Gurt was initially a Memetic Badass before he became an Ascended Limeme. The description should possibly mention that.
JackAlsworth

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:47 pm

YMMV Sweep 3 - Third time is the charm. ;)

Witch:
* LawfulEvil

Tera:
* [[ViewerGenderConfusion Gender Confusion]]: Gets this a lot both IRL and in-game.

Kariese:
* [[ViewerGenderConfusion Gender Confusion]]: Happened on more than one occasion. Embarrassed @/{{Adell}} enough to make it a rule in the drinking game

Pixel:
* [[ViewerGenderConfusion Gender Confusion]]: The name Pixelmage isn't exactly clear with regards to gender.

Sicon:
* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: Some Metaguards were bemused, or convinced that an imposter was speaking, when the normally calm and calculating Sicon began to geek out about awesome swords in the chatroom.

Lawful Evil alignment for the Witch was moved to the YMMV tab as the following:
Lawful Evil: The generally accepted interpretation of the Wicked Witch of the West in the ARG.

Considering that the Drinking Game is noted in the main page, under Tropes from the Forum, I condensed Gender Confusion as a single note in the YMMV tab and removed all three individual entries in the character page.

Sicon's was moved to the YMMV tab.

Rick Healey wrote:Well, one obvious concern is the number of YMMV tropes on the Character page. I have a dream of seeing absolutely no orange dots on any of the The Wall Will Fall pages.

The character page no longer has any orange dots. :geek:

Rick Healey wrote:There's nothing memetic about Gurt's badassery.
Canon, FUCK YEAH.

JackAlsworth wrote:Okay, but seriously, Gurt was initially a Memetic Badass before he became an Ascended Limeme. The description should possibly mention that.

Agreed. But that's a description rework, so actually something to do next then. If anyone wants to compose a better description go right ahead. :)
Pixelmage

Postby Endless Sea on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:15 pm

Bit surprised I haven't been hit yet. Or did I miss something?
So, apparently I'm the sanest madman this side of the international date line. Seems legit.

RP news: Power Play and Sunset Drift are open for business! Bound by Faith may need a while to finish, though.
Endless Sea

Postby Pixelmage on Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:19 pm

No one got to the "judging" tropes phase yet. I was just cleaning up the YMMV entries.
Don't worry Endless... The filter will eventually get to you. :twisted:

But really, don't worry about it. This is not simply wiping out the player's tropes list for the hell of it, all tropes that deserve to be there will be kept there and if I end up deleting stuff I shouldn't I'll be the first to log in and add it again. ;)
Pixelmage

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Coffee Room Sweep

Finch:
* InvoluntaryShapeshifter: In the Coffee Room, he can shape shift whenever he says "TRANSFORM." However, he can only change into random things, not anything of his choosing.
* RidiculouslyCuteCritter: Can become them, on occasion.
* VoluntaryShapeshifter: His transformations range hugely from a Twilight Sparkle plushie, to Mechagodzilla, to a macrowave.

Genndy:
* TrademarkFavoriteFood: Hot Chocolate.

Shane:
* [[NukeEm Nuke'Em]]: His number one strategy.

JR:
* ForcedMeme: Constantly brings up Blue Stuff (C) in the Coffee Shop.

Xana:
* StatusQuoIsGod: Is apparantly immune to the effects of his own Green Stuff[[TradeSnark (TM)]] as every time he tries to drink it, he is automatically reset to a time ''before'' he drank it.

Spirit:
* GlowingEyes: A side-effect of his PsychicPowers
** GlowingEyesOfDoom: Sometimes.
* PsychicPowers: In his words:
->"It's like in ScottPilgrim, but without the vegan or douchebag requirements."

Mimsy:
* BeyondTheImpossible
* KillItWithFire: Has caused two coffee room apocalypses so far.
* PlayingWithFire

Pyro:
* {{Pyromaniac}}: All his attacks involve fire, his Metaguard self is a Team Fortress 2 Pyro dressed in a Wild West outfit, and he burned down the Coffee Room twice, and even went on a murderous rampage, killing everyone in the Coffee Room.

Vic:
* MadScientist

All tropes were straight up cut, due to relating only to the Coffee Room save for the cases I'll describe bellow.

Genndy's is ambiguous enough to be valid outside the Coffee Room, but it wasn't invoked anywhere else, so I decided to cut it.

Shane's is Coffee Room only, but since it's also tied to his Quote & Signature, I moved the link into the Quote while removing the Trope.

Xana's is a particular case. The trope is cut, but I feel he deserves acknowledgement for creating the Coffee Room, as it is noted in the main page under Tropes From the Forums. Added it into the description for Game Master along with the RPs for the moment, but we'll have to see to a better way to handle that later on when we get to player revisions.

Mimsy: Wall-of-text had it's description cut short, so I reworked it and tagged Beyond the Impossible there, as a note for breaking the character limit on posts.
Pixelmage

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:43 pm

Rick Healey wrote:Also, Adell's rule isn't necessarily the best one. If a character demonstrates the same trope in their original universe and in our game, it makes sense to cite them for that in both. For example, Cheshire Cat gets cited as Perpetual Smiler in both (well, up until OOC Is Serious Business got invoked in the ARG). However, Poirot was not the Big Eater in our game that he was in the original canon, so he wouldn't get cited for that.

In short, add the tropes that actually happened in the ARG, be it for the characters or the players.

Policy switch to allow for more tropes and better portrayals for the Fictionals:

For obvious reasons, only list the tropes that are new to the characters in this particular ARG (and maybe some basic ones, to have an outline of the character).

Switched it to:
For obvious reasons, only list the tropes that invoked by the characters in this particular ARG. Both the tropes kept from their original works and the ones new to the ARG.
Pixelmage

Postby RotavatoR on Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:07 pm

It's time to begin my Character Trope RotaRapture :twisted:

I'll just point out some tropes that I feel should be cut from the page, and I'll start with Adell :)

-Adorkable
-Even the Guys Want Him
-Only Sane Man
-Facepalmer
-Logic Bomb
-Red Baron Title
-Screams Like a Little Girl (which I added myself, sorry Delly >.<)
-Stupid Sexy Flanders
-Team Dad

I'm sorry that I can't do any more, but this is more an example of the kind of tropes that I think should be removed from the Character Page.

Also, why don't we make the editing message visible only on the editing page? People who just want to read it don't care much about that.
RotavatoR

Postby Genndy Oda C.O.G. on Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:18 pm

Pixelmage wrote:Coffee Room Sweep

Genndy:
* TrademarkFavoriteFood: Hot Chocolate.

Genndy's is ambiguous enough to be valid outside the Coffee Room, but it wasn't invoked anywhere else, so I decided to cut it.

Image My love of hot chocolate was expressed in my video cover of "Making Metaguards Out Of You". I can be seen drinking it at the beginning of the video.
Apparently, slightly less weird than most of you.
Genndy Oda C.O.G.

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:06 pm

Genndy Oda C.O.G. wrote:My love of hot chocolate was expressed in my video cover of "Making Metaguards Out Of You". I can be seen drinking it at the beginning of the video.

Noted.
Though I'm biased towards keeping it out due to it being a personal and not game-long evident. As it was, to the same extent of JR's Blue Stuff (C), a Forced Meme in the Coffee Room alone. A single appearance outside that thread does not make it "Trademark" for anyone not following the thread.
It's a very good thing for your troper page, so take it there. NAO. ;)

I'll wait to see if more people manifest themselves in relation to re-adding it. Preferably non-coffee players, to be honest. But for the moment I'll ask you to wait without it.
Pixelmage

Postby BlackWolfe on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:12 pm

RotavatoR wrote:-Screams Like a Little Girl (which I added myself, sorry Delly >.<)

This is relevant to the ARG, as it happens within the context of the fight against Cthulhu.
But soft! What rock through yonder window breaks? It is a brick! And Juliet is out cold!
Man, I'm really glad R&J got refic'd before I added this signature.
BlackWolfe

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:30 pm

Tweaking of descriptions.
Please do NOT self promote. It is up to other tropers if they believe you fit the category of a trope, do not add more to your own section.

Changed to:
To all tropers mentioned in this section: Do not add tropes to your section. It is up to fellow tropers to judge whether or not a trope should be added.

In order to remove the all caps NOT.

I made the fictional tropes guideline into a comment to allow a better reading for all non-editors.
Pixelmage

Postby Pixelmage on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Berserk Button and Troll.

Eli:
* BerserkButton: Press this by bringing up the [[PortmanteauCoupleName Eliministrator]] ship to her.

Shane:
* BerserkButton: See {{Angrish}}.

Qara:
* BerserkButton: Don't bring up politics up to her, if you don't want to have to face a rant about Canadian Politics.
** And don't mention [[http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/TheBindingOfIsaac The Binding of Isaac]].

SCT:
* BerserkButton: Calling him Trigs.

Mimsy:
* BerserkButton: Grew VERY when people theorized that characters were forced to act differently than they normally would have by their authors, prompting the above quote.
* WallOfText: Has a tendency to make extremely long posts. He's the only metaguard to break the character limit per message on the forums. [[BeyondTheImpossible On more than one occasion]].

Pyro:
* BerserkButton: A lot. Trolls, bullies, getting wet, Fast Eddie, Endless Sea, Cthulhu, being misunderstood and being the brunt of jokes in the Coffee Room.

Vic:
* {{Troll}}

These two tropes are particularly strange to have for the players.

First on Vic's Troll: Yeah, he jokes around a lot, and was responsible for some Shipping-related trolling. But if he were to actually qualify for that trope, he'd been warned, banned and shunned by us. So it's an outright exaggeration, plus, Shipper on Deck already covers the "Trolling" he's responsible for.

Now on Berserk Button. As a general trope I don't think it was really invoked. It implies actual raging behavior which also would be punished as much as actual trolling would be. That no one was punished for it (and we're not in an comedic setting to do it under Rule of Funny) means it didn't really exist here, on to particular cases:

Eli posted in the postmortem that she'd be willing play along with the ship, so that one is off.

Shane's instance of it was already covered under Angrish, removed for redundancy.

Qara got over TBoI pretty quickly, it was a joke that got overused and was forgotten. And the note about politics points to short instances of Rule 6 violations. Even if it does still apply, do we really want to note a forum rule violation under the trope pages?

SCT's again would fit better as Angrish, but I don't have the relevant logs to actually build an example of that. And it's possible that it would be removed later anyway, so for now I just removed it.

Pyro's is calling out people's names, which is bad. Is related to the Coffee Room, which was already cut. And again, not so much "Berserk" as merely annoyance.

Mimsy's section however, his case was an example of OOC Is Serious Business. The Berserk Button fitting only as the trigger that made him actually get to the on-topic section and make that post which later became his quote.
The Wall of Text was already worked as part of his character description, I merely moved the link to the relevant words and removed the entry for redundancy.
Pixelmage

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:08 pm

Beyond the Impossible refers to Mimsy's post size, not the coffee room. Also, the Wall of Text was more descriptive in the trope form instead of this way. Also, I think for now we should leave everything that is not coffee room related/ymmv and focus on, you know, ADDING tropes to the main characters. I think we've caught a lot of this, now lets start making the page bigger for a bit and see what happens.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Postby Sicon112 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:16 pm

RotavatoR wrote:It's time to begin my Character Trope RotaRapture :twisted:

I'll just point out some tropes that I feel should be cut from the page, and I'll start with Adell :)

-Adorkable
-Even the Guys Want Him
-Only Sane Man
-Facepalmer
-Logic Bomb
-Red Baron Title
-Screams Like a Little Girl (which I added myself, sorry Delly >.<)
-Stupid Sexy Flanders
-Team Dad

I'm sorry that I can't do any more, but this is more an example of the kind of tropes that I think should be removed from the Character Page.

Also, why don't we make the editing message visible only on the editing page? People who just want to read it don't care much about that.

Also, rota, almost all of those tropes are related to events that occurred as we played this ARG, so for now they should be kept, and a couple instances, such as Team Dad, Screams Like a Little Girl need to be kept PERIOD. So no, I would disagree with removing every single one of those.
Sicon112
Meta-Witch Hunter

Next

Return to General Discussion